PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Jan 11, 2022
If it's about her tattoos, then people are just weird. I thought it was maybe because of the 3 letters I don't want to post.
Haha, yeah, judging from the reaction, you'd expect some surprise ntr, wouldn't you!? :ROFLMAO: But nope... just sex and money exchange + friend-zone + self-sabotage... which of course is entirely understandable that multiple people would really not like that, but they forget the most important factor... which is that at the end of the day... she's just a Friend in Need

But, just fyi, the patch on the front page just unlocks extra options (adds incest and darker routes etc.; nothing is forced on player ofc, it's all choice). Everyone else has already explained the april fools anti-nicki 'patch', but just wanted to clarify in case there was any confusion with the term 'patch'.

Nov 19, 2020
I think the truth is just that we never really got to see Nicki be MC's friend, before she came to him looking for money. We're told that they're friends, but by the time we see it the player's already made a lot of decisions regarding how they want to treat her. Adding to that, she ticks a few boxes that can be problematic for some people: friend zone + sex work + body modification = :/
I think if you added more scenes showing how close Nicki and the MC were, it'd just add more people screaming that her storyline is NTR. I doubt anyone who hates her is going to be swayed by a few added scenes. It might be better for you just to write them off as a lost cause.

That said, I'm all for some extra scenes with her. It'd be nice to get a bigger glimpse of who she was before she changed.

humanjelloman

Jul 2, 2020
Let me preface this by saying that Nicki is a well thought out and written girl.
I can only speak for myself, but it really doesn't matter for me either way if I see Nicki interacting more with the MC earlier. The reason I hate her is because she uses her closeness with the MC to basically emotionally blackmail him. She uses him for money to support her bf and whether she knows it or not banks on using her relationship to achieve it. It hits a bit too close to home for me as I have been used by someone like that before and it's the worst feeling in the world. So I actually think that adding even more of a connection between the MC and her earlier would make it so she couldn't even deny doing it accidently which would actually make it even worse and would give off cuck and NTR vibes. Just my 2 cents feel free to ignore this old emotionally jaded fucker. :D

karrek

May 14, 2017
I understand why people don't like Nicki as a person, but I'll never understand why they don't like her as a character.

Don't like her as a person? Great! The game gives you the option to express that viewpoint, and flat out tell her she's betrayed you and treat her like shit.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Haha, yeah, judging from the reaction, you'd expect some surprise ntr, wouldn't you!? :ROFLMAO: But nope... just sex and money exchange + friend-zone + self-sabotage... which of course is entirely understandable that multiple people would really not like that, but they forget the most important factor... which is that at the end of the day... she's just a Friend in Need

But, just fyi, the patch on the front page just unlocks extra options (adds incest and darker routes etc.; nothing is forced on player ofc, it's all choice). Everyone else has already explained the april fools anti-nicki 'patch', but just wanted to clarify in case there was any confusion with the term 'patch'.
So, the uncensored patch adds in other things? I thought it was just to make someone a relative. I would rather it turn Nicki into a sister and remove her as an LI.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
So, the uncensored patch adds in other things? I thought it was just to make someone a relative. I would rather it turn Nicki into a sister and remove her as an LI.
umm ... none of the patches that make people your relatives remove them from LI potential ...

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I've explained the Nicki patch before, but in brief: I get a lot of comments, private messages, etc. from people asking why they have to 'put up' with Nicki. After getting a low-star review that was pretty complimentary other than the commenter's distaste for Nicki, I kind of hit my breaking point. So, I took a couple hours one night to write and render The Anti-Nicki Patch.

This way, rather than explain over and over again the purpose she serves in the narrative, or defend my storytelling choices, I can just post the link to the patch. The joke being that it results in a near-instant game over. It's my way of saying, "Don't like it? Don't play it."

I try not to ever directly respond to people's critiques and such. People have different reads on all the characters. Some people think Nicki is a loyal friend who hit a bad run of luck, and some think she's a conniving shrew who's only using the player. Some people think Gabby's a precious little cinnamon roll who needs protection and love, and some think she's a petulant brat. Some people think Ashe is an utter ditz with two brain cells to rub together, and others think she's an empathetic and thoughtful girl who trips over her own tongue.

It wouldn't really be appropriate for me to chime in and chastise people for reading a character one way or another. But, I find a lot of the comments re: Nicki so similar to one another that I began to wonder if I was just being spammed periodically with alt accounts of one very persistent critic.

I think the truth is just that we never really got to see Nicki be MC's friend, before she came to him looking for money. We're told that they're friends, but by the time we see it the player's already made a lot of decisions regarding how they want to treat her. Adding to that, she ticks a few boxes that can be problematic for some people: friend zone + sex work + body modification = :/

But, I think it's interesting that people began to turn around on Nicki, basically as soon as we saw her doing things unrelated to the lowest point in her life. A lot of people started to warm up to her after her interaction with Maya, a few more after seeing her joke around with MC about his naughty calendar idea, and a few more after that when we see her playing videogames with MC.

I suspect that trend will continue, but until then I'll continue to get people who play the first chapter and then write to me asking, "Is Nicki really going to be in the whole thing?!"
I know I'm new to the game but i have to say Nicki is the main reason i play this to me she is such a sweetheart i couldn't imagine playing it without her.

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
In other news, I was playing around with anime filters, pondering how feasible a style like this would be for a mini-game or something. Could be kinda fun, as long as I was willing to do a lot of touch-up digital painting.

al.png ash2.png ash3.png bri.png
mc.png ni.png vi.png

I get that. But, a guy can hope. lol
When I redo Chapter One, you'll be able to avoid sex with Nicki, and just be friends.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
In other news, I was playing around with anime filters, pondering how feasible a style like this would be for a mini-game or something. Could be kinda fun, as long as I was willing to do a lot of touch-up digital painting.

View attachment 2540720 View attachment 2540721 View attachment 2540722 View attachment 2540723
View attachment 2540724 View attachment 2540725 View attachment 2540726

When I redo Chapter One, you'll be able to avoid sex with Nicki, and just be friends.
If i refuse sex with her in chapter one does that mean I can't romance her

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
If i refuse sex with her in chapter one does that mean I can't romance her
Nope. That's something I plan to address, as a lot of people felt like having sex right after giving her money, set up a poor dynamic between Nicki and the player.

Right now, you can refuse her in Chapter Three, get on her friend path, and then ask her to go on a date with you in Chapter Four while you're hot tubbing. So, it'll be easy to just direct an initially platonic path onto that route. I'll just need to change some dialogue here and there.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Nope. That's something I plan to address, as a lot of people felt like having sex right after giving her money, set up a poor dynamic between Nicki and the player.

Right now, you can refuse her in Chapter Three, get on her friend path, and then ask her to go on a date with you in Chapter Four while you're hot tubbing. So, it'll be easy to just direct an initially platonic path onto that route. I'll just need to change some dialogue here and there.
Cool thank's for telling me I agree about the dynamic I know I have said it before but it feels like the mc takes advantage of the situation and her to have sex at the start where as i want to treat her in a more romantic way lol.

• Red Heart
Reactions: NeonGhosts

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
NeonGhosts personally, I played through the game and enjoyed it how you intended it to be. TBH people will always find something to complain about, just create the game you want to create and it will find the audience its meant to have. I mean listening to suggestions is good too lol, but everyone cannot be happy.
I agree. I'm personally going to continue playing it(I just literally started it a bot ago). I'd just rather not have an FWB. That could complicate things with other girls. But, in the long run, it's NeonGhosts creation and should just write it as he wants.

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Ultimately, these adjustments I plan to make to Chapter One, are really things that I always would've had in there, had it been an option.

For new folks: I didn't do the art for Chapter One, instead commissioning the work from . So, I had to cut corners so as not to need a ton of unique renders. That meant keeping the story pretty tight and focused. Hence, no setup with Nicki, no varied renders for sex scenes, etc.

Plus, Chapter One was really made without any assurance that it would be continued. I didn't have a PC that could render stuff. So, the story was written so it could stand alone, if necessary. Which is why I didn't bother with a 'just friends' route. Luckily people responded really well to the story, and I jumped into the dev gig with both feet.

So, no worries about me bending over backwards to appease people. It's more about building a more cohesive and well thought out first installment. I plan to tee up certain things like the state of The Lawful Waffle when Nicki and MC visit it before he purchased it, MC's first meeting with Carolina, moving into the condo, etc. Along with more sex positions and naughty stuff for Nicki, and some cleaner code. It'll all be for the best.

Majindevil

Nov 20, 2018
the avoiding sex is a nice option but what i am bothered a bit more even when you treat her like shit they are still "friends"
after all that...

i somehow hope of a bit more finetuning in dialoge that makes it a bit more clear if the mc tries to mend the reletionship or tries to be friends again (i think after all the things she has done the former releationship called friends dos not really fit)

maybe even an option to clearly tell her "we were friends but i have no idea what we are now" and give the player a bit more agency over the route if he wants to mend it or just tolerate her.

you dont have to be a friend to someone to help them (remembers me of an older collegue of mine she was disliked by most of the staff and even me who had never a problem with my collegues disliked her but even so was several time at their home to fix the pc or install a new tv we just tolerated each other)

Reactions: NeonGhosts

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
the avoiding sex is a nice option but what i am bothered a bit more even when you treat her like shit they are still "friends"
after all that...

i somehow hope of a bit more finetuning in dialoge that makes it a bit more clear if the mc tries to mend the reletionship or tries to be friends again (i think after all the things she has done the former releationship called friends dos not really fit)

maybe even an option to clearly tell her "we were friends but i have no idea what we are now" and give the player a bit more agency over the route if he wants to mend it or just tolerate her.

you dont have to be a friend to someone to help them (remembers me of an older collegue of mine she was disliked by most of the staff and even me who had never a problem with my collegues disliked her but even so was several time at their home to fix the pc or install a new tv we just tolerated each other)
Mend the relationship? What choices did you make? :devilish: Ahaha

• Haha
Reactions: PHIL101-YYouPPHard
4.50 star(s) 200 Votes