NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
NickiDate.png

Quick, informal poll:

Should I redo the first chapter of FiN, if I can do it without screwing up the update schedule?

I've always lamented the fact that the first chapter isn't quite as dynamic as I'd like it to be, owing to the limited number of renders used. I'm thinking I'd like to expand the opening so you get more of Nicki and MC's friendship, along with new options for positions and such in the different paths. Like, the romance path might have Nicki and MC fucking in bed rather than the floor, the anal option would look markedly different from the normal doggystyle option, etc. Plus, I could kind of unify the old MC with the new one, and give Nicki a couple of different looks pre-Chapter Two, really pushing both the tomboy look, and the dressed-to-impress look.

These are just some quick renders I ran off without doing much of anything with the background/lighting, but it's kind of what I imagine a revamped Chapter One would look like.

sdawg1234

Dec 1, 2019
Should I redo the first chapter of FiN, if I can do it without screwing up the update schedule?
It's your story and you'll do it if it really bothered you or if you feel it will attract more viewers. Since I started from the beginning and just want to keep moving forward and personally I liked the old look nicki better so I wouldn't go back to play it. However, if you want more consistency with character appearance then I would do it as the new renders fall in line with what's to come.

08Hanbo

Nov 15, 2020
It's your story and you'll do it if it really bothered you or if you feel it will attract more viewers. Since I started from the beginning and just want to keep moving forward and personally I liked the old look nicki better so I wouldn't go back to play it. However, if you want more consistency with character appearance then I would do it as the new renders fall in line with what's to come.
Agree you. I liked the old look nicki better too.

Goodbye, old look nicki. Never see you again. :)

15315313.png

Look-see

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2018
the preview renders for the remake dont really seem all that great in my opinion i can understand the dressed to impress Nikki but somoehow it just doesn't seem like the one we already have and therefore her main appeal. as for the Nikki clerk preview which im assuming is the tomboy version. honestly i dont see tomboy with that yee yee as haircut. just looks unkept:whistle:

IMO the Nikki from the picture above this comment on the left already looks dressed to impress while still having a girl next door/tomboy hybrid done right.

the part about having the romance scene on the bed sounds good though but as for appearance i'd just keep it as is.:giggle:

hentatsujin

Dec 12, 2021
old Nikki = best Nikki

some flashbacks explaining the friendship may be ok, but increasing the intro length would just be a drag. "All in" for more options during the scenes though :)

Reactions: Slayerz and Fydeout

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Appreciate the feedback, folks! Honestly, the impetus to redo Chapter One is multi-fold.

One - I didn't do the art for chapter one, and I'd just kind of like to have a more consistent style across the chapters.

Two - I could do more things that'd be immediately attractive to players, i.e. adding animations, different positions, increased story content up front, etc.

Three - I've had enough people complain about Chapter One looking little off, that I feel like it's worth examining the complaint.

I'd still keep the original Chapter One available as a stand-alone download, because it's part of the game's history and I like it. But, I'd like to eventually get this game on Itchio and Steam once the first season is wrapped, and part of that means putting my best foot forward.

On to Nicki - I think what people are reacting to more than anything is the hair.. Here's the thing about that hair - it's a resource hog. It takes up a lot of memory because it's this strand-based Dforce hair, and as a result rendering and posing takes longer. But, I think you've convinced me to keep is as-is, because she really does lose a little of her personality without it.

NickiRemake1.png

The dress I'm less sold on. Her original purple dress is a free asset, and as a result it lacks certain features. It doesn't have much texture, so it looks a little plastic-y and rigid. And it doesn't have "fit" morphs to adjust it, so all I can do is scale up the entire thing to deal with poke-through, which leads to it looking oversized, clipping in weird places, etc.

Whereas something like the options below are a little more malleable.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'll likely do what I did with Cassie's swimsuit, and put Nicki's final outfit to a poll. But, that's a little ways off, as I'm still neck-deep in Chapter Three.

Thanks again! Have a good one.

08Hanbo

Nov 15, 2020
Appreciate the feedback, folks! Honestly, the impetus to redo Chapter One is multi-fold.
May I ask you a question? Why do you want to change Nicki's eyebrows? Does the story need it or something else?

Because you said that you have changed her eyebrows.

Thank you.

Meridian

Jan 24, 2018

One - I didn't do the art for chapter one, and I'd just kind of like to have a more consistent style across the chapters.

Two - I could do more things that'd be immediately attractive to players, i.e. adding animations, different positions, increased story content up front, etc.

Three - I've had enough people complain about Chapter One looking little off, that I feel like it's worth examining the complaint.

I'd still keep the original Chapter One available as a stand-alone download, because it's part of the game's history and I like it. But, I'd like to eventually get this game on Itchio and Steam once the first season is wrapped, and part of that means putting my best foot forward.

On to Nicki - I think what people are reacting to more than anything is the hair.. Here's the thing about that hair - it's a resource hog. It takes up a lot of memory because it's this strand-based Dforce hair, and as a result rendering and posing takes longer. But, I think you've convinced me to keep is as-is, because she really does lose a little of her personality without it.

View attachment 1915863

The dress I'm less sold on. Her original purple dress is a free asset, and as a result it lacks certain features. It doesn't have much texture, so it looks a little plastic-y and rigid. And it doesn't have "fit" morphs to adjust it, so all I can do is scale up the entire thing to deal with poke-through, which leads to it looking oversized, clipping in weird places, etc.

Whereas something like the options below are a little more malleable.

I'll likely do what I did with Cassie's swimsuit, and put Nicki's final outfit to a poll. But, that's a little ways off, as I'm still neck-deep in Chapter Three.

Thanks again! Have a good one.
I think its better to keep Nickis look as close to original as possible. Those quick renders with different hairstyles you posted earlier just dont work imo. And there is really no need to push tomboy-in-the-store Nicki look vs dress-to-impress date look difference. The impression of daz3d characters players get is very fragile. Change hairstyle or some other relatively small detail and she looks like a different character and thats off putting. Considering the change she undergoes later in the story(and reaction to it), creating 3 or more versions of her will just dilute the impression her character makes even further. Its always better to stick to 1 version and let players attach to it.

Remaking content instead pushing story forward sucks a bit even if you say you can do it without screwing up the update schedule but if thats something you gotta do to get it out of your system then theres no helping it I guess. I hope with a remake there will be a bit more first person pov renders during sex scenes. There were none that I can remember during scene with Nicki. And scenes like Ashe blowjob in alley or Gabi handjob could really use those too although thats chapter 2 already I guess.

Reactions: Look-see

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
I think its better to keep Nickis look as close to original as possible. Those quick renders with different hairstyles you posted earlier just dont work imo. And there is really no need to push tomboy-in-the-store Nicki look vs dress-to-impress date look difference. The impression of daz3d characters players get is very fragile. Change hairstyle or some other relatively small detail and she looks like a different character and thats off putting. Considering the change she undergoes later in the story(and reaction to it), creating 3 or more versions of her will just dilute the impression her character makes even further. Its always better to stick to 1 version and let players attach to it.

Remaking content instead pushing story forward sucks a bit even if you say you can do it without screwing up the update schedule but if thats something you gotta do to get it out of your system then theres no helping it I guess. I hope with a remake there will be a bit more first person pov renders during sex scenes. There were none that I can remember during scene with Nicki. And scenes like Ashe blowjob in alley or Gabi handjob could really use those too although thats chapter 2 already I guess.
I think that if you are going to rework content, it is probably better to do it now that the game is still young rather than work on it for a couple of years and reboot it like some Devs end up doing. Just treat the original chapter one as a demo or a proof of concept. I'm with you on the hair, though. Somehow her careless, fizzy hairdo seems to match her personality as it is presented more than a well-coifed version would. However, changing it to that version later in the game as she changes with the times may work.

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
May I ask you a question? Why do you want to change Nicki's eyebrows? Does the story need it or something else?

Because you said that you have changed her eyebrows.

Thank you.
Sure, happy to answer!

Basically, when Horizontical sent me the .DUF file for Nicki's character, the eyebrow asset didn't want to play nice with the skin texture I wanted to use for her. So, I found one that was close, and went with that.

That's fair. Like I said, I'm convinced I should keep the original hair, even if it makes my life a little more annoying in the short term. :)

I'm actually planning to add a little bit to Chapter Two this month, as a free "between-updates" update, so it wouldn't be hard to add a few POV shots. Though, there are a handful of them in there. For the Gabby scene the POV shots are mostly looking at her face/reaction. Ashe gets one POV shot when you come in her mouth. But, I'll see what I can do on that end.

I think that if you are going to rework content, it is probably better to do it now that the game is still young rather than work on it for a couple of years and reboot it like some Devs end up doing. Just treat the original chapter one as a demo or a proof of concept. I'm with you on the hair, though. Somehow her careless, fizzy hairdo seems to match her personality as it is presented more than a well-coifed version would. However, changing it to that version later in the game as she changes with the times may work.
Yeah, my whole thing is that I'd rather have it as refined as possible before I put it up on Itchio and start trying to expand the audience. Right now, I really only advertise the game here, and I'd like that to change.

My main thing, honestly, is that Ashe, Gabby, Madison, and all the other girls have gotten or will get a pretty nice introduction sequence, where you get to talk to them at length and learn more about their character. With Nicki, you largely get the MC/narrator telling you how he feels about her, without the player really seeing much about her. With Nicki undergoing a big change in Chapter Two, I think it's kind of important to see who she was, before you see who she is now.

Plus, Chapter One is only a few hundred renders, so I could knock that out pretty quickly if I'm smart about it.

NickiStore.png

Anyhow! Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just got the first sex scene scripted for Chapter Three, which completes the opening act. I've got a couple dozen renders already finished for the scene, but I'll start rendering in earnest tonight, while I'm busy writing the next bit.

Also, I'll still be dropping my standalone mini-game The Student Loan here later this month, so be on the lookout for that.

Fydeout

Aug 25, 2020

View attachment 1915867
Fuck yeah on the new dress update and going back to 'old' Nikki. Bro, your level of interactivity with this forum, and what I assume is also on your Patreon, is nuts. I hope you can keep up this tempo. Here's to you fully seeing your vision come to be. Don't burn out bro.

Slayerz

Aug 2, 2017

Just did a first playthrough and wanted to share my thoughts on your current suggestion for Chapter 1.

I actually loved everything about the first chapter, but as other mentioned, it's your story and more content around wouldn't hurt. I'd go with the purple dress over the gray one in your new render suggestion. I kind of liked the old chocker too as she seemed more submissive with it.

I really love your options to be friendly or go all rampage on the girls. They make me think of Enslaver - Dark Path, but less intense. Looking forward to new updates! You're on a great foundation!

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
I kinda liked her wildly changed appearance. It begs the question of "what the heck" happened in the intervening time and had me wanting to read more... As long as the explanation is as wild as her changes.
Just to clarify - Nicki's keeping her tattoos and stuff for Chapter Two. I'm only going back to her "old look" in a theoretical remake of Chapter One. Though, I am increasingly thinking about bringing back her old hair style as the game progresses. I think it's kind of a fun look, paired with the tattoos and tomboy style. :unsure:

NickiLater.png

Just did a first playthrough and wanted to share my thoughts on your current suggestion for Chapter 1.

I actually loved everything about the first chapter, but as other mentioned, it's your story and more content around wouldn't hurt. I'd go with the purple dress over the gray one in your new render suggestion. I kind of liked the old chocker too as she seemed more submissive with it.

I really love your options to be friendly or go all rampage on the girls. They make me think of Enslaver - Dark Path, but less intense. Looking forward to new updates! You're on a great foundation!
Appreciate that! I still really like Chapter One, and I likely wouldn't have continued developing the game if it hadn't gotten such a warm reception. So, I'll always be partial to it. Just one of those things where I'd like to improve it.

Enslaver's a fun one, though I'll admit his character models don't always do it for me. I always tell people who like FiN to check out The Regional Manager, Banking on Bella, and Dirty Pool. The dev for TRM did the art in FiN Chapter One, and does some of the best slow-burn corruption/blackmail stuff around. BoB is one of the first games I played that really allowed for a ton of different paths and moral choices, which I try to emulate in FiN. And DP is one of the few games that I think portrays the psychological aspect of an evil play style really well, while also providing a nice, mostly wholesome corruption route.

Fuck yeah on the new dress update and going back to 'old' Nikki. Bro, your level of interactivity with this forum, and what I assume is also on your Patreon, is nuts. I hope you can keep up this tempo. Here's to you fully seeing your vision come to be. Don't burn out bro.
Thanks! I'm happy to talk about the game and share stuff. And yeah, I'm always updating the Patreon - I share renders from what I'm working on every Sunday night/Monday morning. Here's something I shared last night, from Chapter Three.

NickiTowel.png

atrebor68

Aug 26, 2020
View attachment 1914556

Quick, informal poll:

I've always lamented the fact that the first chapter isn't quite as dynamic as I'd like it to be, owing to the limited number of renders used. I'm thinking I'd like to expand the opening so you get more of Nicki and MC's friendship, along with new options for positions and such in the different paths. Like, the romance path might have Nicki and MC fucking in bed rather than the floor, the anal option would look markedly different from the normal doggystyle option, etc. Plus, I could kind of unify the old MC with the new one, and give Nicki a couple of different looks pre-Chapter Two, really pushing both the tomboy look, and the dressed-to-impress look.

These are just some quick renders I ran off without doing much of anything with the background/lighting, but it's kind of what I imagine a revamped Chapter One would look like.
I love your work.
I think that if you want to revamp the first chapter (and it is a good idea) you have to do it first to put out third episode.
The game will have a right continuity about characters design, expecially Nicki, she is important as MC.
PS imho I LOVE. LOVE, LOVE the fact that Nicky had a little slut past in the meanwhile (keep the tatoos, maybe even some piercings), MC will her life saver and She will marry Him, at the end. I'm and old romantic player. And yes, my actual wife wasn't exactly a nun in the past :love:

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
Really enjoyed your game and looking forward to your next release. by the way do you have a discord channel at all?

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
The whole setting of the game is rushed, MC is dawned with revelations and his old flames atart to
go ablaze with the power of actually making someone of himself as opposed to waiting for life.
This is good for a game where any player would want action and plot to roll right off the bat.
Sudden change of life is handled well with time skips, making the personal refurbishing of MC believable.
Also, most girls are not news to MC, now he has the means to have a say in their ways,
so stand up to them and demand things, as he himself now has the freedom to charter his own path.

Reactions: Jstforme

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Really enjoyed your game and looking forward to your next release. by the way do you have a discord channel at all?
Thanks! I have a Discord reserved, but I'm waiting to roll it out. I didn't want to have one just for the sake of it, but I decided I'll make it patron-only and use it as kind of a repository for links and files (stuff like the Android versions, fan patches, translations, etc.) as well as an easy way for patrons to contact me. Patreon's messaging system has been really finicky, which made me realize I should probably have another way for people to reach me.

I love your work.
I think that if you want to revamp the first chapter (and it is a good idea) you have to do it first to put out third episode.
The game will have a right continuity about characters design, expecially Nicki, she is important as MC.
PS imho I LOVE. LOVE, LOVE the fact that Nicky had a little slut past in the meanwhile (keep the tatoos, maybe even some piercings), MC will her life saver and She will marry Him, at the end. I'm and old romantic player. And yes, my actual wife wasn't exactly a nun in the past :love:
Thanks! I think a lot of games in this genre tend to have a Madonna/Whore problem, and Nicki is sort of my attempt to explore that. It's like we want these characters to exist for our sexual gratification, indulging in increasingly debauched sexual escapades, but we also want to punish and ridicule them for it. I think that's interesting.

As for the redone Chapter One.. right now I'm kind of thinking I might start Chapter Three with a brief flashback, expanding a bit on Nicki's character. That flashback will then be moved to the front of the game in later versions, once I've completed the remade Chapter One.

The whole setting of the game is rushed, MC is dawned with revelations and his old flames atart to
go ablaze with the power of actually making someone of himself as opposed to waiting for life.
This is good for a game where any player would want action and plot to roll right off the bat.
Sudden change of life is handled well with time skips, making the personal refurbishing of MC believable.
Also, most girls are not news to MC, now he has the means to have a say in their ways,
so stand up to them and demand things, as he himself now has the freedom to charter his own path.
I thought this was going to be a bad review at first.. but thanks! :D I try to be cognizant of the fact that, while I'm trying to tell a story with interesting characters, high stakes, humor, drama, and strong thematic elements -- it's still porn!

I want to give people what they came here for, and part of that means not drawing things out too much, or putting out updates with minimal content. That said, I do kind of enjoy teasing things out sometimes..

GabbyRender.png

4.50 star(s) 190 Votes