karrek

May 14, 2017
so tomorrow, is there going to be any public update or not?
No. Read the thread. The first part (well, second, but first part of what was intended to be this update) is going out to patrons only this weekend. It may or may not leak publicly at some point after that.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
First time trying this. I'm not going to read every post to find out why NeonGhosts made a patch to remove a girl,(LI?) from the game, so if someone would be so kind as to give me the condensed version, that would be awesome. Sill going to give this a try though.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
From what I did read, scenes were removed. I went through the script and it indeed changes the game. I just would like to know why.
You talking about Nicki? I wasn't really here for the peak of the vitriol but I'm personally ok with her. I like her character, just kind of indifferent towards her as a love interest. That being said, I wasn't here for when that all happened so I have no clue.
If you are talking about Nicki, then just search "removed" in the thread. It's literally the 3rd and/or 4th post, it's after yours and Neon's. Should probably shed some light.
If you're not then my bad for not knowing.

Edit:
Oh I guess you were talking about her. Yea, I guess. I discovered this game just in time to catch the tail-end of people saying they didn't like her character. It's why this thread seems like people gravitate towards one extreme or the other from what I'm guessing.

Reactions: Dark Silence

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
You talking about Nicki? I wasn't really here for the peak of the vitriol but I'm personally ok with her. I like her character, just kind of indifferent towards her as a love interest. That being said, I wasn't here for when that all happened so I have no clue.
If you are talking about Nicki, then just search "removed" in the thread. It's literally the 3rd and/or 4th post, it's after yours and Neon's. Should probably shed some light.
If you're not then my bad for not knowing.

Edit:
Oh I guess you were talking about her. Yea, I guess. I discovered this game just in time to catch the tail-end of people saying they didn't like her character. It's why this thread seems like people gravitate towards one extreme or the other from what I'm guessing.
If it's about her tattoos, then people are just weird. I thought it was maybe because of the 3 letters I don't want to post.

Reactions: HunterSeeker

hysepReC

Feb 16, 2022
If it's about her tattoos, then people are just weird. I thought it was maybe because of the 3 letters I don't want to post.
I would say it's more to do with the fact that she visits the MC knowing he has a crush on her and tries to use that to get some money out of him. But yeah, the appearance change after disappearing for months probably didn't help either. I like her as a character but i'm not sure i'll ever see her as a viable romantic interest for the MC.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
... Sex? Lol, no I'm just fucking around.
Again, I don't know too much about it but from what I saw it was a combination of things. Mainly just how people disliked Nicki for how she treated the MC. Coming to him for money, then bouncing, then slinking back to him later on when shit spiraled down for her even more. THAT'S what I'm guessing. I'm sure someone who knows the topic better will chime in soon and berate me.
Still, I'm theorizing that rather than hating Nicki for something superficial or character flaws to due poor writing it seemed more like because the writing was so believable, people were turned off by her like they could believe she was a real person.
Edit: Not "theorizing" but surmising? Idk.
Edit 2: Also, not actually believing she exists. That'd be weird. More like as if a person like that exists in the world. If that makes sense ...

Reactions: HunterSeeker

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
I would say it's more to do with the fact that she visits the MC knowing he has a crush on her and tries to use that to get some money out of him. But yeah, the appearance change after disappearing for months probably didn't help either. I like her as a character but i'm not sure i'll ever see her as a viable romantic interest for the MC.
... Sex? Lol, no I'm just fucking around.
Again, I don't know too much about it but from what I saw it was a combination of things. Mainly just how people disliked Nicki for how she treated the MC. Coming to him for money, then bouncing, then slinking back to him later on when shit spiraled down for her even more. THAT'S what I'm guessing. I'm sure someone who knows the topic better will chime in soon and berate me.
Still, I'm theorizing that rather than hating Nicki for something superficial or character flaws to due poor writing it seemed more like because the writing was so believable, people were turned off by her like they could believe she was a real person.
Edit: Not "theorizing" but surmising? Idk.
Edit 2: Also, not actually believing she exists. That'd be weird. More like as if a person like that exists in the world. If that makes sense ...
So, she's my actual RL sister. Got it. I personally wouldn't want my sister out of my life, so, that so-called patch is not for me. Thanks for explaining. You guys rock.

hysepReC

Feb 16, 2022
So, she's my actual RL sister. Got it. I personally wouldn't want my sister out of my life, so, that so-called patch is not for me. Thanks for explaining. You guys rock.
The option that the removal patch unlocks just leads to a comical bad end anyway. Nicki is too important to the story to simply remove. If it wasn't for her, MC would probably still be sitting in his condo, doing nothing with his life.

Reactions: Dark Silence

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
I've explained the Nicki patch before, but in brief: I get a lot of comments, private messages, etc. from people asking why they have to 'put up' with Nicki. After getting a low-star review that was pretty complimentary other than the commenter's distaste for Nicki, I kind of hit my breaking point. So, I took a couple hours one night to write and render The Anti-Nicki Patch.

This way, rather than explain over and over again the purpose she serves in the narrative, or defend my storytelling choices, I can just post the link to the patch. The joke being that it results in a near-instant game over. It's my way of saying, "Don't like it? Don't play it."

I try not to ever directly respond to people's critiques and such. People have different reads on all the characters. Some people think Nicki is a loyal friend who hit a bad run of luck, and some think she's a conniving shrew who's only using the player. Some people think Gabby's a precious little cinnamon roll who needs protection and love, and some think she's a petulant brat. Some people think Ashe is an utter ditz with two brain cells to rub together, and others think she's an empathetic and thoughtful girl who trips over her own tongue.

It wouldn't really be appropriate for me to chime in and chastise people for reading a character one way or another. But, I find a lot of the comments re: Nicki so similar to one another that I began to wonder if I was just being spammed periodically with alt accounts of one very persistent critic.

I think the truth is just that we never really got to see Nicki be MC's friend, before she came to him looking for money. We're told that they're friends, but by the time we see it the player's already made a lot of decisions regarding how they want to treat her. Adding to that, she ticks a few boxes that can be problematic for some people: friend zone + sex work + body modification = :/

But, I think it's interesting that people began to turn around on Nicki, basically as soon as we saw her doing things unrelated to the lowest point in her life. A lot of people started to warm up to her after her interaction with Maya, a few more after seeing her joke around with MC about his naughty calendar idea, and a few more after that when we see her playing videogames with MC.

I suspect that trend will continue, but until then I'll continue to get people who play the first chapter and then write to me asking, "Is Nicki really going to be in the whole thing?!"

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
I've explained the Nicki patch before, but in brief: I get a lot of comments, private messages, etc. from people asking why they have to 'put up' with Nicki. After getting a low-star review that was pretty complimentary other than the commenter's distaste for Nicki, I kind of hit my breaking point. So, I took a couple hours one night to write and render The Anti-Nicki Patch.

This way, rather than explain over and over again the purpose she serves in the narrative, or defend my storytelling choices, I can just post the link to the patch. The joke being that it results in a near-instant game over. It's my way of saying, "Don't like it? Don't play it."

I try not to ever directly respond to people's critiques and such. People have different reads on all the characters. Some people think Nicki is a loyal friend who hit a bad run of luck, and some think she's a conniving shrew who's only using the player. Some people think Gabby's a precious little cinnamon roll who needs protection and love, and some think she's a petulant brat. Some people think Ashe is an utter ditz with two brain cells to rub together, and others think she's an empathetic and thoughtful girl who trips over her own tongue.

It wouldn't really be appropriate for me to chime in and chastise people for reading a character one way or another. But, I find a lot of the comments re: Nicki so similar to one another that I began to wonder if I was just being spammed periodically with alt accounts of one very persistent critic.

I think the truth is just that we never really got to see Nicki be MC's friend, before she came to him looking for money. We're told that they're friends, but by the time we see it the player's already made a lot of decisions regarding how they want to treat her. Adding to that, she ticks a few boxes that can be problematic for some people: friend zone + sex work + body modification = :/

But, I think it's interesting that people began to turn around on Nicki, basically as soon as we saw her doing things unrelated to the lowest point in her life. A lot of people started to warm up to her after her interaction with Maya, a few more after seeing her joke around with MC about his naughty calendar idea, and a few more after that when we see her playing videogames with MC.

I suspect that trend will continue, but until then I'll continue to get people who play the first chapter and then write to me asking, "Is Nicki really going to be in the whole thing?!"
Thank you for responding about this. Well, as I said above, my actual sister does what hysepReC and allanl9020142 said. She disappears for months and once, she was gone an entire year. Not a single word from her. No texts, nothing. Then, she just pops up asking for money, a place to stay, whatever, so, I def would just treat her like I treat my own sister. So, no problems for me.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: PHIL101-YYouPPHard

sirpedro7

Jan 10, 2022

There is an old maxim in writing, "The better the writer the worse the reader, the worse the writer the better the reader", it is a way of saying that you have to know how to explain things better or worse depending on who you explain it to, I do not say this as a criticism but for experience and to imply that I completely agree with your point Nicki, if we had seen 3 or 5 moments where we saw the good points of the friendship of the MC and her, another rooster sings, even so I think that if you have complaints it will be of those who are in the romantic path, because her character is perfect to motivate the dark path. Be that as it is guisas would be good to invest at some point a partial reboot of chapter one giving a couple of moments to empathize with her and thus eliminate once and for all those complaints, although all this I say to enrich the story not because as others bother me, as I said before, at this point it seems to me that gave enough good points to understand it better. As I said before, great game and I hope to continue seeing more of it and continue seeing the evolution of the story and the characters, it is seen that you know what you are doing because you are creating a story with interesting characters.

Reactions: PHIL101-YYouPPHard
4.50 star(s) 194 Votes