Ren'Py [Game] Come Inn - Brothel, Breeding, Management, and Story Events [Development Thread] v0.12 (May/23)

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
That's probably true. But I'm not looking for too much attention, yet.
The game is still very incomplete, full of bugs, and wildly unbalanced.

For now it's probably best if the only ones playing it are the people who have an interest in early development, and aren't looking for something that is polished and playable.
At least until I get some time to bug-test a release.

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
I updated to version 0.08 now. I also re-wrote most of the first post, adding some basic instructions and editing everything.

I've started building the "prostitution engine" and it can be accessed in the debug menu, or during some guestroom interactions. Also added support for players and npcs to have 'kinks', an interest in specific non-vanilla sex acts or themes.

I spent an hour bug-testing it this time :)
That's an hour more than I spent before the other releases.

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
Where can i get this game? Link doesnt work
I just updated the link.

If anyone can recommend a good small host that doesn't let the files quickly expire, let me know. This game is < 100M so transfer speeds are not a big concern. I used a Mega link this time since I don't think they time-out, but I would prefer something else.
There will likely be a new version released at the end of the week.

drilll

Mar 18, 2019
Just played the last version and im definitely going to keep and eye on this.
Two questions though
1. When i go to frank´s house and have sex with charlotte the game just throws an error.
2. Will futas be added to the game?

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
Thanks for the feedback.
I caught, and fixed the error when hooking up with Charlotte.

I have considered futas. Like the trans character, it is not a personal interest, but almost all the functionality for it is already there. I will likely add a futa option for the player, but there probably won't be much futa specific content in story events, or npcs.

The way I am laying out the events, I am going to make it easy-ish to add custom, or new, events to the game. So adding additional content for anything that I neglect, will be possible later. Even by non-programmers. But that is a ways off still.

fnray9

Jun 27, 2017
1) use the rapid age 20 potion,
2) have the parent talk to the newly made adult, Their affection drops to zero instantly.

1)Kick out a person
2) notice the beds used do not decrease...

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
Version 0.09 is now available. I updated the link in the main post.

All reported bugs have been replaced with new ones. Thanks for the reports.

fnray9

Jun 27, 2017
Not exactly sure what triggered this, Talked with a daughter a bit, gave her a job as waitress, then selected items and got this error.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 17, in script call
    call peopleMenu
  File "game/script.rpy", line 514, in script call
    call social(u[plyr], u[other])
  File "game/script_social.rpy", line 20, in script
    menu:
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not unicode

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 17, in script call
    call peopleMenu
  File "game/script.rpy", line 514, in script call
    call social(u[plyr], u[other])
  File "game/script_social.rpy", line 20, in script
    menu:
  File "C:\Stuff\13245\comeinn-0.09-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1631, in execute
    next_node(self.items[choice][2][0])
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not unicode

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.4.0.84
Come Inn 0.09
Mon Dec 20 17:16:28 2021

fnray9

Jun 27, 2017
The Limit that prevents you from progressing the game when you hit a cap on rooms and don't have either the funds or the energy, is a game ending / destroying the game rule. Worsened by the fact that sisters don't share rooms, nor do husband & wife. Those that are family and not hired from other people should still remain and not have a need to kick out, perhaps instead have a penalty to there overall happiness which could either be reflected as a general decrease in how much they like everyone (the worse option) or the better option would be to add an overall happiness meter itself and have that affect how much affection they gain or lose as well as how well they do there jobs.

You must allow the player to continue to progress or there is no way to recover the energy needed to build, and or the money needed to pay for it.

Having someone set to a job, and then kicking them out. It removes them from the lists you can manage but leaves them working the job. You cannot unassing them afterwards, which works for the problem of having people working for you but living outside the home, however prevents you from ever firing them...

Fast Forward: I Had rooms 5/4, kicked a person out (they did not have a job either, so they should be gone) However after clicking Fast forward i was prompted with the error that the family room was overcrowded and i couldn't fast forward.

Person Kicked out actually does show up on the left side character select, though no options to do anything except have them consume your items...

Last edited:

fnray9

Jun 27, 2017
How do you change who the main character is, i thought that was an option as the game progressed?

is there not a consensual way for incest?
Why does the lust potion that is advertised as making it impossible to resist not deal with that?

100% lust on a person who is not the main characters spouse, does not result in any actions happening in the game as time progresses. They just stay locked at 100%

Something seems off with the spouses, and their lust amounts. The orgasms of who achieves it first and who may not even have one don't seem right at times. EX: The wife is turned on enough to instigate it, while the husband has barely any interest. Yet the husband orgasms and the wife does not....

Family members earning money from wages and hording it, even as the store / Their Home goes bankrupt. Do I need to point out the obvious? Maybe if the person doesn't like the family leader, sure, but with good relations they should defiantly be trying to pitch in or take a reduced salary, perhaps none at all since they are eating/living in the house right?

Those that are not family, should of course leave when they stop getting paid. Unless of course they actually take up room space which would mean, room-mates. Hired help probably shouldn't take up rooms otherwise.

Last edited:

fnray9

Jun 27, 2017
Birthdays of children that you've kicked out, continue to pop up as though they were still there.
Unless your planning to make the characters persistent and show up in the game, that's pointless.
If you do make them persistent and show up in the game, you'll need to add some depth and reason for their birthdays being important.

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
The Limit that prevents you from progressing the game when you hit a cap on rooms ...
The room limit is not supposed to be so difficult to raise. It is meant to throttle growth in the beginning, but become less and less of a problem as time goes on, and by mid-game have more rooms than you need. It is bugged in a few ways in the current public release, which is causing most of your difficulty. It is already fixed, and there should be a new release in the next few days.
I'll add making married couples and children share rooms to my todo list.
Happiness is a stat I plan to add, and it will affect their behaviour to others, and job performance. It can also lead to employees quitting, or family leaving home if low for too long, and also result in wage renegotiations.

You must allow the player to continue to progress or there is no way to recover the energy needed to build, and or the money needed to pay for it.
I'm not sure I understand this part. By energy do you mean action-points? If so you should get them back at the start of every new day. And earning the money should not be too hard, though it can take a bunch of game-days if you only have a small number of workers.

I've already dealt with the kick-out bug. It was related to the room occupancy bug. Once things are more complete you will still be able to contact and employ family after they have left. For now it should fire them when they get kicked out, because there is nowhere else close by for them to live and be able to work there.

Something seems off with the spouses, and their lust amounts. The orgasms of who achieves it first and who may not even have one don't seem right at times. EX: The wife is turned on enough to instigate it, while the husband has barely any interest. Yet the husband orgasms and the wife does not....
Some of the numbers are still off in that release, and it is all only "roughly" balanced at this point. Every time I add something new it throws off the balance of things, so I'm not bothering to fine-tune things at this point. But who achieves an orgasm is calculated on a comparison of traits of the person they are with (Skill, looks, more) with stats of their own (Libido, current lust, personal preference toward the act, standards). Also men are usually easier to get off than women. So there are possible explanations for what you saw. Maybe the wife did not like the type of sex act as much, or wasn't as attracted to her husband as he was to her. Or the husbands skill was low but her standards were high. Being turned on does increase their chances of getting off, but if they are not attracted to their partner, or not excited about what they are doing, then they may still have a hard time. Also, there is a random element also, so some encounters are going to be better or worse than others. The wife might have had an unlucky night. We can't always bring our A-game :)
You can manually changer the preferences of either of the two main characters. Just click on the bar in the info-panel. Kinky sex acts are not listed there until you encounter them. Then they will appear on that same list.

Q: How do you change who the main character is?
You can't, yet. But it is planned. I'll add something to change it in the debug menu, because it may be a while before I get the the story introduction of the ability.

Q: is there not a consensual way for incest?
I don't remember if it had been added yet in v0.09 It can be done in the current state of the game. I think I had just added the natural aversion to it on this release, and not gotten to breaking it down.

Q: Family members earning money from wages and hording it...
That's an area I have not started yet. npcs and secondary characters do just 'hoard' their wealth, but they will start using it once I get to it. I have already added an office where money can be transferred in or out of the business by family members.

Q: Why does the lust potion that is advertised as making it impossible to resist not deal with that?
100% lust typically just means they are at their own personal maximum, but they will still have limits. A character with a high libido, and 100% lust will do just about anyone, but one with a low libido will still not do things they are strongly opposed to. However, the lust potion is supposed to have that kind of affect, so I will put 'make potion stronger' on my todo list.

(Most) npcs and secondary characters do not currently act on their lust because that is an area that does not have much done yet. But they will. Right now I am working on the schooling/training for children, then I will move on to automated npc turns. After that all sections should be in the game, even if none are complete, and some just sketched out.

You seem to have put some time into this game, which I love, but I caution you that it is going to remain wildly unstable for some time to come still. It is early in development and really not stable enough to release publicly... though I did anyway.
The good news about that is it means you can have input on the development though. I have the game planned out in the big picture sense, but much of the detail has to be made-to-fit, and things often change when unexpected problems, or possibilities crop up.

fnray9

Jun 27, 2017
Sounds awesome, yes i know the game is super early right now. As far as dealing with me goes, i have a background in IT, troubleshooting, and programming. So no apologies are needed at all. If anything "THANK YOU" for putting in your efforts to create a game with great potential.
You asked for input, just trying to help.

in that regard, found a minor thing you may have noticed already. The information boxes, between turns and in the family lists on a character can fill up the entire screen and are not scrollable. With more information hidden off screen.

Son's will not orgasm at all... perma stuck at 100% lust

Last edited:

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
Sounds awesome, yes i know the game is super early right now. As far as dealing with me goes, i have a background in IT, troubleshooting, and programming. So no apologies are needed at all. If anything "THANK YOU" for putting in your efforts to create a game with great potential.
You asked for input, just trying to help.
You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the effort.

in that regard, found a minor thing you may have noticed already. The information boxes, between turns and in the family lists on a character can fill up the entire screen and are not scrollable. With more information hidden off screen.
Noted. I don't think I had added scroll for that box yet. The screen has just undergone some changes, I'll make sure the scroll is enabled for all boxes. I'll look into the sons issue also, I suspect it may already be resolved, but I'll confirm that.

Reactions: mrxs1993

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
New update today. v0.10 is up.
Lots of changes. Probably lots of bugs too.
Things are coming together now. most sections of the game are now represented in at least some way. Adult job and skill training, visiting the city, and the end-game are the only big sections that are still not started.

If I get any bug reports I may do a quick bug-fix release.

Reactions: mrxs1993

fnray9

Jun 27, 2017
(Version 0.10)
Debug Change player character, Constantly results in duplicate Characters. Only sort of work around was to select characters that were not adults yet, which meant you would only have the other character.. that leads to many problems...

Consensual Incest, partially exists anyway. It was a nice addition for the sibling route, though that is where it ends.

the 100% stuck at lust bug is "Partially" fixed. IF they masturbate, but apparently sex is never good enough for your 2nd primary character? (lol)

** Really bad bugs with the Education system,,, Libido and Promiscuity will go into the negatives if you teach it up to -2500%.
** Will power is the only beneficial education working correctly, the others do Nothing.

_
Noticed the art work problems you mentioned in previous postings, I highly Advise looking into the Game: Strive for Power, it has many aspects that you won't like with game play, However what it does have is a great mechanics system that doesn't rely on graphics, and it has an import system for people to use there own. In fact the game comes with only basic black and white portraits. You have to add your own or not have any. Use it for inspiration for your game's mechanics, within what you are intending to create.
https://f95zone.to/threads/strive-for-power-v1-0d-maverik.1136/
-

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
The link leads to an empty folder
I fixed the link. There will be a new version released soon.

I highly Advise looking into the Game: Strive for Power, it has many aspects that you won't like with game play,
I got a chance to have a look at that game. It was a mix of interesting ideas and game breaking implementation. What it does right, it does well. But it also becomes unplayable, to me, because of the things it got wrong.
The way it handles the art is a convenient way to side-step the issue I have, but it also loses the dynamic of having a rigidly designed paperdoll system, like what I have implemented. There's a trade-off.

Something that game makes clear is the need for an intuitive ui, and concise documentation. The tutorial was so long, I was not going to read it all. Even after skimming it all, the layout of things made it easy to miss or lose things.

I hope through layout and tooltips I can avoid the need for a tutorial. A simple and straight-forward single-page help screen is all I am planning. I've added an introduction to the latest version that sets up the initial jobs and gives the player a bit of context and direction. I've also begun restructuring the menus to make things more clear about who is doing what.

I have made a number of changes recently including a lot of refactoring, so I need to find some time to do a bit of bug-hunting, then I will put out an update later this week.

Reactions: D Dave