Ren'Py [Game] Come Inn - Brothel, Breeding, Management, and Story Events [Development Thread] v0.12 (May/23)

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
Game is good, but looks like its abandoned :(
Not abandoned.
I've just not been releasing any public versions. Partly because work has been intermittent due to some travelling I've been doing, and partly because it takes time to bug-fix and get things in useable shape for the public. Time that could instead be spent making new content.

Since I was not getting much feedback, it didn't seem worth the time to make public releases.
There may be a new public version soon.

Lehendarii

May 19, 2022
Not abandoned.
I've just not been releasing any public versions. Partly because work has been intermittent due to some travelling I've been doing, and partly because it takes time to bug-fix and get things in useable shape for the public. Time that could instead be spent making new content.

Since I was not getting much feedback, it didn't seem worth the time to make public releases.
There may be a new public version soon.
do you have private accounts? something like patreon or some discord? accounts to be able to follow you since the game is good

Reactions: HALO81

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
do you have private accounts? something like patreon or some discord? accounts to be able to follow you since the game is good
No sorry, not at the moment. Things have been a bit chaotic for a while so work was inconsistent. But I am about to head home soon, so progress should resume it's former speed then. I will likely set up a discord and a website or forum somewhere at that point so you can follow development closer. I'll update this post when that happens.

I'm not going to start a Patreon because it is the wrong approach for the type of game I am making. It incentivizes an endless development cycle with small spaced out updates slowly over time.
I don't want to do any of those things. That can work well for VN and game-like-VN, where the dev can write the story/game in a linear manner. But for a game like this it would have undesirable effects on development.

Also, I want to keep the game free and accessible. If I monetize it at all, it will be much later and only by adding requested content for exiting players/fans.

Guarsian

Dec 4, 2020
any further updates on this project? from what I've tested sex events cause the engine to crash, kinda difficult to play in its current state

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
I have been working on it. The sex events have changed.
It is still going to be difficult to play for a while, though. That is why I have not officially released it to the public, just in this development thread. I'll put up a newer version soon that will at least have that part sorted out.

There's a lot to do still and development is just a hobby(slow), but it will get there.
Eventually.

sensory1

Jun 23, 2020
I really like your game. Game idea.
Thank you :)
If the game was not just text, but with animations, poses where interactions are visible, it would be perfect.
ps: If a girl does not have sex for a long time, and then do it - the game freezes.

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
Not dead, but it is not getting much work at the moment.
That may change in a couple weeks. But I've been programming long enough to know that timelines for development never go as we expect, or intend, so I'm not promising anything. :)

It has progressed since the version available here, but it is not in a state to be distributed.
"Soon-ish".

BlaHard

Jan 3, 2023
Not dead, but it is not getting much work at the moment.
That may change in a couple weeks. But I've been programming long enough to know that timelines for development never go as we expect, or intend, so I'm not promising anything. :)

It has progressed since the version available here, but it is not in a state to be distributed.
"Soon-ish".
hope you will do it

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
Another update today.
New art and layout. Also I changed some of the default renpy mouse behaviour.

I did not spend any time bug-hunting, so it will have some glitches. I wanted to put something up to show activity, but I did not want to waste time polishing. At this point in development polish is just wasted time since it will all get dealt with later anyway.

I would like to hear what anyone thinks about what I did with the right mouse button. It no longer opens the game menu. Now if you are in a sub-menu it will act as a back-button or cancel, that returns you to the previous menu. I think this will be much more useful and will aide in navigation.

One of the things I do not like in many sandbox type games is the excessive pointless clicking. If I am out of actions for the day, I don't want to have to go through many menus or mouse-clicks to get home and start a new day. Pointless clicking is my sworn enemy. I have been trying to minimise the number of places, and steps required to move between them, but there are some times where getting a couple/few menus deep seems like the best option. With a quick, easy, right-click to go back, I think it makes navigation simple enough that it will not eat up any time, or effort. I think most of the game time should be spent doing stuff, not navigating menus.

Your thoughts on that?

Also, how do people feel about AI art? I'd love to have original human art, but that is not available to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valmorgren

Valmorgren

Dec 17, 2017
Another update today.
New art and layout. Also I changed some of the default renpy mouse behaviour.

I did not spend any time bug-hunting, so it will have some glitches. I wanted to put something up to show activity, but I did not want to waste time polishing. At this point in development polish is just wasted time since it will all get dealt with later anyway.

I would like to hear what anyone thinks about what I did with the right mouse button. It no longer opens the game menu. Now if you are in a sub-menu it will act as a back-button or cancel, that returns you to the previous menu. I think this will be much more useful and will aide in navigation.

One of the things I do not like in many sandbox type games is the excessive pointless clicking. If I am out of actions for the day, I don't want to have to go through many menus or mouse-clicks to get home and start a new day. Pointless clicking is my sworn enemy. I have been trying to minimise the number of places, and steps required to move between them, but there are some times where getting a couple/few menus deep seems like the best option. With a quick, easy, right-click to go back, I think it makes navigation simple enough that it will not eat up any time, or effort. I think most of the game time should be spent doing stuff, not navigating menus.

Your thoughts on that?

Also, how do people feel about AI art? I'd love to have original human art, but that is not available to me.
Good to see you post a new version. I've been watching your game since the original version on here.

The right mouse button function change is fine. Sometimes more clicks pads game play (not saying that's a good thing, just a way of doing things), but I agree with fewer clicks to do something the better. I do feel like the actions that characters have are too few, but then it would be more important if there were more actions to perform (like bring drinks, food, make beds, etc). There's a lot of opportunity for mini games all over the place which would encourage increasing the action counts on characters.
AI art is...fine. Ideally an artist would check the AI art for inconsistencies, but I understand if you're unable to find an artist. Have you tried posting here whether it's paid or unpaid? There's a section for such posts. The AI art is getting better though (as an artist myself I have mixed feelings on the whole thing).

Anywho, I'm enjoying your game and am always eager to see the updates. I did find a bug right off when I hire Frank's wife to be the cook and try to talk to her in the staff section I get a Ren'Py error page.

Keep it up.

Sed

Nov 26, 2016
The action count is supposed to start low, but will increase during play. The start is supposed to leave you wanting more. However, at the moment there's nothing you can do about it. Training and skills are coming. Ranking up job skills will also allow more actions, but is also still absent. lol.

I know already what's wrong with Franks wife, and likely other NPCs. Npc interaction are in the middle of an overhaul. As stated I did not do a lot of bug testing on this version. It's more just proof I'm still alive and making progress.

I'm with you on the art, I'm not thrilled with the concept, but it fills a niche here that is otherwise a void. I think that allows me to doge any ethical considerations, but thought I would sound out the community. And it is impressive(scary af) how well it works.

torsorunkenshi

Jan 22, 2020
Every time I try to hire someone it rattles out a (rollback / ignore) type of error. No clue why. Sometimes, some pregnancies cause the game to crash. Subsequent offspring seem un-interested in having partners of any kind. Interesting concept, had a great time with it, will see if I can do something with it myself.

torsorunkenshi

Jan 22, 2020
The action count is supposed to start low, but will increase during play. The start is supposed to leave you wanting more. However, at the moment there's nothing you can do about it. Training and skills are coming. Ranking up job skills will also allow more actions, but is also still absent. lol.

I know already what's wrong with Franks wife, and likely other NPCs. Npc interaction are in the middle of an overhaul. As stated I did not do a lot of bug testing on this version. It's more just proof I'm still alive and making progress.

I'm with you on the art, I'm not thrilled with the concept, but it fills a niche here that is otherwise a void. I think that allows me to doge any ethical considerations, but thought I would sound out the community. And it is impressive(scary af) how well it works.
Sorry for the necro, would you be so kind as to tell how you accessed the DEBUG pannel? I can't seem to be able to, even though I've turned the debug menu from False to True in the script_init.rpy file.

Apr 8, 2021
Yo, great game with a bunch of options compared to the amount of updates it has received to this point! My only issue with it is that sometimes, during sex scenes, the game freezes when I select an option (give/receive oral, sex) and then I gotta restart it, any way to fix that?

FallenR

Nov 2, 2021
It crashes when I try the agency hire thing and with some "step" s scenes. I would love to see this game grow since I like an endless game related to the crusader kings experience where you play as your family :). Would like to spend some money on it, but school hasn't started yet here in my country so in the meantime please accept my moral support :)