Seeking Games where I'll care for/be emotionally attached to the characters

Frigow

Jul 25, 2017
As said in the title, I'm searching for games where I'll get attached to the characters enough to be emotionnaly invested in the story. I want to care about what happens to them.

I guess it's what everyone seeks (to a point), and it's very, VERY subjective of course, but I'm sure some of you can point me in the direction of some games I haven't played that could scratch that itch for me.

It can be anything really, be it a 3D rendered visual novel, an anime-style RPG Maker game or someting else. I just don't care about HTML text-based projects, I still need some kind of visuals to enjoy.

I like nice people in general. That means I like to see people getting along, caring for each other and asking for consent, for example. It however doesn't mean I dislike the contrary : if the plot needs blackmail or anything darker to progress (and if it's tied to sexy visuals) I won't mind. But if the game is only "male protag forces women to sleep with him" I'll get bored rather quickly.

I can cite a few games that got me invested in the past:
- The Humbling Experience : The protagonist is nice and cares for the other characters (and her sexual axakening is a huge turn on for me). A shame it got abandonned.
- Lisa : The whole game is pretty well-written and the protag is nice and witty, but I especially enjoyed and genuinely cared for the character of Aoife.
- Fetish Locator (Weeks 1 & 2, not 3) : It may sound stupid, but it's one of the only games where the male protag consistently asks for consent. He cares for every girls, and as such they all care in return, making the whole game really pleasant.
- Another Chance : The cast is cute and you get points from the girls by listening to what they like. Only drawback for me is the counter-intuitive point & click quests, but with the hint system it's not that big of a deal.

I guess I was invested in the story of other games (I recall spending a good amount of time reading the dialogues in Legend of Queen Opala or Treasure of Nadia for example), but nothing else comes to mind.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: forgetmaster

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
I would definitely suggest Superheroes Suck.
https://f95zone.to/threads/superheroes-suck-v1-526-public-solace.50772/

It's a visual novel, focused on relationships and story. It has everything from funny and light hearted moments to feels hitting like a truck. The main cast is very well developed and even some of the secondary characters are interesting enough for the community to get obsessed. The MC is kind and eager to help, but he isn't a pushover and when he gets something into his head, he finds a way too.

Just as a suggestion: if you try this game, then i suggest not reading it's thread for a while, because there are important things to get spoiled.

Reactions: Frigow

Mario4don

Your Mother's Lover
Donor
Dec 16, 2018
As you yourself wrote that what you are looking for is a subjective topic and therefore everyone may feel differently about the meaning of the words "I care about it", so I am just giving you the names of games in which I personally felt an emotional attachment and in which I personally cared about most of the LI available in those games.

Alison Fall of the Apple (game completed)
Avalon (game completed)
Haley's Story (game completed)
Leap Of Faith (game completed)
Retrieving The Past (game completed)
Something to Write About: The Author (game completed)
Chasing Sunsets
Hillside
Intertwined
Knockout Master
Light of My Life
My Bully Is My Lover
My New Family
My New Memories
My Real Desire
Reunion
Summer Scent
STWA: Unbroken

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Light of My Life's definitely nice. If you enjoy 'family' melodrama, Radiant is also worth checking out, apart from the rest of Mario4don's list. If you enjoyed Something to write about, check out Unbroken as well (same Author).

I'm obviously biased, but a lot of people seem to get emotionally attached to the characters of Love of Magic as well. I also help do code/production on the recently completed Paradise Lust (it's a 2D game, so that may or may not be your liking), but it's often praised here and on steam for having well writing and lifelike characters you get attached to.

LS47

Oct 5, 2021
I'm surprised no one mentioned Katawa Shoujo. It's a well known anime-style dating sim VN where the girls and the MC each have their own demons that come with their past and their disabilities, and you as the MC try to tear down their walls and try to help them get past their issues to slowly cure and become better people in the process.

There's also Lovesick Darlings in the same vein as KS. This one is a demo, but it offers a pretty complete experience and although you can't romance anyone yet, you slowly learn about each character's past and troubles, and you help them overcome their difficulties and get closer to them in the same way as KS, albeit with no dating involved yet.

Frigow

Jul 25, 2017
Do you mean "consent"?
Yes that's what I meant, I edited my post (sorry, english isn't my first language).

Just as a suggestion: if you try this game, then i suggest not reading it's thread for a while, because there are important things to get spoiled.
Thanks for the recommandation! Seems like it's exactly what I'm looking for. I won't read the thread then, thanks for the headsup.

As you yourself wrote that what you are looking for is a subjective topic and therefore everyone may feel differently about the meaning of the words "I care about it", so I am just giving you the names of games in which I personally felt an emotional attachment and in which I personally cared about most of the LI available in those games.

Alison Fall of the Apple (game completed)
Avalon (game completed)
Haley's Story (game completed)
Leap Of Faith (game completed)
Retrieving The Past (game completed)
Something to Write About: The Author (game completed)
Chasing Sunsets
Hillside
Intertwined
Knockout Master
Light of My Life
My Bully Is My Lover
My New Family
My New Memories
My Real Desire
Reunion
Summer Scent
STWA: Unbroken
Thanks for the list, it's exactly what I'm searching for, games that got you invested so maybe it will be the same for me?
There are a lot of games I don't know so I'll be sure to check them out!

it's a 2D game, so that may or may not be your liking
Thanks for the recommandations!
I'm up for everything really, I can be invested for 2D characters as well. It's just that I find way more 3D rendered games here, so I don't have that much exemples of 2D games.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Katawa Shoujo
Already played it, I liked the characters and the themes, it was cute and wholesome!

There's also Lovesick Darlings in the same vein as KS
I'll be sure to check that then, thank you!

Last edited:

Frigow

Jul 25, 2017
Teaching Feeling is a go to for feeling like you want to care for and protect the girl.
Seems right up my alley, I'll be sure to check it out, thank you!

The Deluca Family is my top recommendation if you want to feel emotional. Take the long route when it asks you.
I heard about it, seems quite popular. The visuals are top notch, so if it's tied to a good story I'll definitely play it!

Who tf has nobody mentioned Acting Lessons Great story and you will love the girls and
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks for the recommandations, I'll check them out too!

Reactions: forgetmaster

six-

Jan 20, 2018
Played this one in my late teens so not sure if it would be as good now. Still at the time it hit me really hard in the feels.
Incest really is not my thing but the game don't force that on you even though it is pushy and I imagine it might be viewed as a canon path by the devs.
Personally I'd have liked this one better if it was without the sex as I had no interest in the sister and did not have time for the girlfriend because I was busy caring for my sick sister.
https://f95zone.to/threads/kana-little-sister-final-d-o.4142/

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Seems right up my alley, I'll be sure to check it out, thank you!

I heard about it, seems quite popular. The visuals are top notch, so if it's tied to a good story I'll definitely play it!

Thanks for the recommandations, I'll check them out too!
The Deluca Family is some of the best writing out there, in an AVN or otherwise.
Check out the stuff in my signature for other recommendations. Heavy Five also has excellent writing, but you'd be better off waiting for CH5 to come out before playing it.

Frigow

Jul 25, 2017
Played this one in my late teens so not sure if it would be as good now. Still at the time it hit me really hard in the feels.
Incest really is not my thing but the game don't force that on you even though it is pushy and I imagine it might be viewed as a canon path by the devs.
Personally I'd have liked this one better if it was without the sex as I had no interest in the sister and did not have time for the girlfriend because I was busy caring for my sick sister.
https://f95zone.to/threads/kana-little-sister-final-d-o.4142/
Thanks for the recommandation!
Although to bo honest I'm not a fan of these old school anime visuals, so i don't know if I'll be able to get past that, I'll see.

The Deluca Family is some of the best writing out there, in an AVN or otherwise.
Check out the stuff in my signature for other recommendations. Heavy Five also has excellent writing, but you'd be better off waiting for CH5 to come out before playing it.
Thanks for your input!
It says on the page that the projetc is abandonned, is a chapter 5 still planned?

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Thanks for the recommandation!
Although to bo honest I'm not a fan of these old school anime visuals, so i don't know if I'll be able to get past that, I'll see.

Thanks for your input!
It says on the page that the projetc is abandonned, is a chapter 5 still planned?
Yes, that's just this site's rules kicking in.

Apr 10, 2020
Games like Princess Maker or Prince Maker
As said in the title, I'm searching for games where I'll get attached to the characters enough to be emotionally invested in the story. I want to care about what happens to them.
If you mean by a "point based" or "heart" simulation system (that's the only way you can attach yourself to a romantic fictional character that doesn't exist), the only games I can think of is "Princess Maker" but the newer remakes of that franchise are I think censored and sexless.

You could make the character a call girl, and get an ending where she becomes a high class call girl.