Seeking Games with choices that matter?

antiduke

Apr 23, 2019
Hey all, new here. I've tried a couple games (Milfy City, Depraved Awakening) and while they are definitely high quality, I'm finding them a bit lacking in the "game" department. Mostly linear click fests with an occasional "choice" that isn't really a choice at all. Are there any games that feature choices that have much of an impact on the story? Preferably not strictly text-based.

Reactions: polywog

Fantabaldu

The Pirate King
Donor
Feb 19, 2019
First game that arrive in my mind , is completed one , Acting Lessons .... Completely different routes based on your choice , with many choice that have big impact in the game . this game have a total with more than 20 finals ( happy but also bad endings )
Acting Lessons

Reactions: DrackDrap

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I've noticed that games tend to have 4 types of choices you can make and I'm okay with the first 3 but the 4th type annoys me.

1. Your choice has no effect on the immediate scene but has a small effect on some score that is used to determine outcomes for future scenes. A common example for this would be dialog choices that affect your relationship with the girl (friendship, lust, whatever)
2. Your choice has an immediate effect on what is visually happening in the scene, but may or may not be important to the story. For example choosing what sort of sex act is going to happen in a scene (blowjob vs footjob or whatever).
3. A choice that leads to a major plot diversion with an entirely different plotline than what happens if you pick the other choice. These plot lines might converge again later but would lead to significant chunks of time where entirely different events are happening. Unfortunately the most common example I tend to see here here are choices that lead to abrupt game over bad endings and I really wish games would do that less often.
4. This choice is completely meaningless and your choice doesn't have any effect at all. So why is there even a choice here...

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Hey all, new here. I've tried a couple games (Milfy City, Depraved Awakening) and while they are definitely high quality, I'm finding them a bit lacking in the "game" department. Mostly linear click fests with an occasional "choice" that isn't really a choice at all. Are there any games that feature choices that have much of an impact on the story? Preferably not strictly text-based.
I can't agree with Depraved Awakening.

While choices don't change major plot points you do have to make choices to get the ending with the girl you want so choices do matter.

Reactions: DrackDrap

The 1★ Dude

Jun 26, 2018
I love daddy = 10+ endings
My legacy = 28 endings
every oneone1 game = think 6+ endings

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Katie’s Corruption was a good game too. Bad it got abandoned :(
Only choice that mattered in that game was between deleting it off my hard drive with a smile on my face or a sense of relief.

Good is subjective so I won't say you are wrong but I found it so bad I considered purging my PC with fire just to make sure it was gone.

Ryder77

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2017
I've noticed that games tend to have 4 types of choices you can make and I'm okay with the first 3 but the 4th type annoys me.

1. Your choice has no effect on the immediate scene but has a small effect on some score that is used to determine outcomes for future scenes. A common example for this would be dialog choices that affect your relationship with the girl (friendship, lust, whatever)
2. Your choice has an immediate effect on what is visually happening in the scene, but may or may not be important to the story. For example choosing what sort of sex act is going to happen in a scene (blowjob vs footjob or whatever).
3. A choice that leads to a major plot diversion with an entirely different plotline than what happens if you pick the other choice. These plot lines might converge again later but would lead to significant chunks of time where entirely different events are happening. Unfortunately the most common example I tend to see here here are choices that lead to abrupt game over bad endings and I really wish games would do that less often.
4. This choice is completely meaningless and your choice doesn't have any effect at all. So why is there even a choice here...
That's a really good breakdown of choice types, IMO. My only comment is that these types are not airtight and, in many instances, there is a lot of overlap. For example, your item 1 may result in a "major plot diversion" (item 3).

The "game over" choice is controversial and I can understand why people don't like it. However, if the "game over" result makes logical sense in the context of the game, I have no objection to it. At the end of the day, there are only a finite number of choices and these are games. Just my opinion, anyway.

N1K17Y

Jun 12, 2017
babysitter
intimate relations
parental love
sanguine rose
seeds of chaos
sisterly lust
fate of irnia
twists of my life

Reactions: Prem1990

steelsmiter

Nov 28, 2018
I tried to find out something along these lines with my thread about games that have potentially lethal (to NPCs) choices, but to minimal avail. I will be watching for more. And I have to find that one about the good girls

antiduke

Apr 23, 2019
the number of "endings" a book has doesn't give it "game"
I actually tend to agree. What if all the different endings are derived from one or two different choices? I'm liking the Good Girl Gone Bad pretty well so far. It does seem like there are definitely impactful choices throughout. The graphic side of it is a bit lacking, but I guess you can't have everything.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I actually tend to agree. What if all the different endings are derived from one or two different choices? I'm liking the Good Girl Gone Bad pretty well so far. It does seem like there are definitely impactful choices throughout. The graphic side of it is a bit lacking, but I guess you can't have everything.
Choices in DMD... You knew the end of that story before you started playing.
gameplay choices that really matter... you get to pick her swimsuit!!!

Some VN act like there's a choice. "do you want to study massage?" try saying no, see how far that gets you.
you can't even squeak by with a half way decent massage, you have to reach mastermassager to beat the level and move on.