GeForce RTX 2060 vs 2080

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I am wanting to pull the trigger on one of these and I have looked at all the specs, but I am having a hard time convincing myself the increase in performance between a 2060 and a 2080 is worth double the price.

Am I going to be kicking myself for not spending the extra 3-400?

And what is the deal with the different brands? Like MSI, ZOTEC or ASUS? They are all NVIDIA, right?

Sigh.... I hate all these specs and comparisons. I just read an article that said the 2060 is just a little better GTX 1070. It would almost be better to buy a 1080Ti.

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
If you are going to buy something from the 20xx series, it's better that they are the SUPER versions, I think they have improved a lot, although there is no SUPER version for the 2080Ti.

As for the manufacturer, if it has the same chip, will have the same power, although there may be small variations in the clock speed of the core or memory, or that some is more prepared than others to overclocking ... I recommend you look for the cheapest but that have 2 or 3 fans (avoid cards with a single fan) and then you can also see which brand offers you more years of warranty, I think I remember that Gigabyte gave 4 or 5 years.... I have had Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac, Palit, and all have worked well, but for example, my MSI 1080Ti heats up to 84º (2 fans) while my Palit 1080Ti barely reaches 70º (2 fans and a scary heatsink, haha, is twice as high as the other).

In my opinion, if you're going to render at night as I do, I think it's more important to have more VRAM than a render ending in 1h30m instead of 1h; that's why my opinion would be to look for an economic 1080Ti (I was able to buy 3 for little more than 2080Ti price, lol), but it's a personal opinion, others may tell you that better to go for the new series and the new RTX technology that DAZ already supports, and also will be right ... you must evaluate what suits you according to your needs.

Reactions: Mikedazz1

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
If you are going to buy something from the 20xx series, it's better that they are the SUPER versions, I think they have improved a lot, although there is no SUPER version for the 2080Ti.

As for the manufacturer, if it has the same chip, will have the same power, although there may be small variations in the clock speed of the core or memory, or that some is more prepared than others to overclocking ... I recommend you look for the cheapest but that have 2 or 3 fans (avoid cards with a single fan) and then you can also see which brand offers you more years of warranty, I think I remember that Gigabyte gave 4 or 5 years.... I have had Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac, Palit, and all have worked well, but for example, my MSI 1080Ti heats up to 84º (2 fans) while my Palit 1080Ti barely reaches 70º (2 fans and a scary heatsink, haha, is twice as high as the other).

In my opinion, if you're going to render at night as I do, I think it's more important to have more VRAM than a render ending in 1h30m instead of 1h; that's why my opinion would be to look for an economic 1080Ti (I was able to buy 3 for little more than 2080Ti price, lol), but it's a personal opinion, others may tell you that better to go for the new series and the new RTX technology that DAZ already supports, and also will be right ... you must evaluate what suits you according to your needs.
You said you bought 3 of the 1080tis... are you able to run multiple GPUs? Can Daz leverage both at the same time? I didn't think it could multitask like that.

According to some of the spec sheets, assuming I am reading them right, the 1080ti is better than the 2060 and the 270 although it doesn't have the latest Turning tech.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Of course, DAZ can use more than one GPU at the same time (without SLI or anything).

The only thing you have to check is that the cards fit in your case, lol... I have 2x1080Ti in one computer and another 1080Ti in another (before I used 2x1060 6Gb); the change from 1060 to 1080Ti has been overwhelming, hehe (although I see that now 2060 at least have 8Gb).

Me, having 11GB, I don't change for anything lower... but I'm not going to invest so much money in expanding to 2080Ti, the difference in performance in my case doesn't make up for the outlay, I'll wait for the new 30xx series (which I hope it can reach 16GB) :p

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Of course, DAZ can use more than one GPU at the same time (without SLI or anything).

The only thing you have to check is that the cards fit in your case, lol... I have 2x1080Ti in one computer and another 1080Ti in another (before I used 2x1060 6Gb); the change from 1060 to 1080Ti has been overwhelming, hehe (although I see that now 2060 at least have 8Gb).

Me, having 11GB, I don't change for anything lower... but I'm not going to invest so much money in expanding to 2080Ti, the difference in performance in my case doesn't make up for the outlay, I'll wait for the new 30xx series (which I hope it can reach 16GB) :p
Interesting. Thanks for the info...

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Interesting. Thanks for the info...
You're welcome.

BTW, keep in mind that if you want to have more than one GPU on the same computer, you must have a PSU that supports it, otherwise you will limit its performance.

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
If I was you I would not get the 2080, it costs too much right now, and the rumor is Nvidia is going to release new cards in the first half of next year with possibly more VRAM, so spending $700 - $800 on a 2080 might make you regret it in a bit.

On top of that, AMD from the rumors, is planning on releasing some high-end cards in the beginning of next year, I know DAZ doesn't use these cards, but this might make Nvidia drop their prices also at the high end so they can still compete on the price front, the 5700s are selling well, and Nvidia doesn't want to lose market share.

2080 super prices:

2060 super prices:

If you want the performance of the 2080, it's a little under twice the cost of the 2060 super, you could buy two 2060s and stomp the single 2080 in rendering if you wanted, and they all have the same VRAM.

From the other game devs I talked to, like mgomez said, the most important thing is VRAM for rendering, the more the better, so you could also go for a used 1080 Ti and wait and see what comes out the beginning of next year. As with all things computer, there are too many options that will make your head hurt.

If it was me, I'd look at what I can get a used 1080 Ti for, and if I found one for a decent price buy it, if not I would get the 2060 super. I think the 2080 is a waste of money for the price it's at.

I am wanting to pull the trigger on one of these and I have looked at all the specs, but I am having a hard time convincing myself the increase in performance between a 2060 and a 2080 is worth double the price.

Thora

Jan 2, 2018
There are solid recommendations on this thread.

The price/performance of the 20xx cards can be... infuriating. Regardless, selecting GPUs really depends on how you value your time, what's your budget, and needs.

Since you are asking in a dev thread, I'm assuming you'll be using this to render daz images on a new unreleased game.

Many project here fails for various reasons - if this is to test the waters, I'd go with whatever you can comfortably afford. The 2070 super probably offers the best price/perf ratio currently. You can also use it as a decent game GPU.

Keep in mind:
- Time is.. money. Many games becomes bound by rendering time. Most creators upgrade their rig(s) once their game is a hit as it quickly pays for itself.
- The 20xx series offers ray tracing hardware acceleration (hence the RTX name). This was mostly irrelevant until Daz introduced RTX support (see ). I've not tested this, but long term real time ray tracing will be a game changer for creators.

-T-

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
on a side note, the radeon VII with 16gb HBM2 is already cheaper than the 2080, not really interesting for iRay rendering, but if AMD finally puts out some better driver support, they might become a real tread to nvidias price policy.

Reactions: Mikedazz1

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Well, after all the great advice, I went ahead an ordered a rtx 2080ti... It is the most I have ever spent on a graphics card, but if I am really serious about this developer stuff, I felt I should just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Of course, like everything else, nothing is easy anymore. The 2080ti is freaking gigantic and I had to drill out my HDD bracket in order to get it to fit. Then I learned that while my PS was big enough, it needed 2 8 pin connectors and mine only had one, so I had to order a new PS.

Lol.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Well, after all the great advice, I went ahead an ordered a rtx 2080ti... It is the most I have ever spent on a graphics card, but if I am really serious about this developer stuff, I felt I should just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Of course, like everything else, nothing is easy anymore. The 2080ti is freaking gigantic and I had to drill out my HDD bracket in order to get it to fit. Then I learned that while my PS was big enough, it needed 2 8 pin connectors and mine only had one, so I had to order a new PS.

Lol.
Oh dear, you should have waited a few months lol.
There are also adaptor cables for PSUs, I've used one on my old psu cause I have two cards and one of them also has two 8pin connectors.

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018

Lol.
It's a hard decision, but it's an investment. The time and headache it saves you will probably be worth it.

As for the power supply I ran into the same issue when I built my PC earlier this year. I was pinching as many pennies as I could and wanted to reuse a PSU I had from my last build, 15 years ago believe it or not. It only had a 6 pin for the GPU. Of course I was freaking out thinking I was going to have to spend more money until I did some research. The internet and the forums will tell you you can't put an adapter on a 6 pin to make it an 8 pin, this is BS. You can, and you could've bought an adapter for your 8 pin to make it a dual 8 pin, most PSUs come this way from the factory, one set up wires with two 8 pin connectors.

Most PSUs are made with 18 gauge wire, some are made with small you should make sure of this, one single 18 gauge wire can handle 192 watts run through it for chassis wiring ( short distances with a solid wire, less with stranded wire ), you have three running to your GPU. The PCIe slot supplies 75 watts and the wires provide the rest to the card. An 8 pin connector is rated to give 150 watts to the GPU if I remember correctly.

Here is a wiring list for reference that shows the current capacity of wires, remember watts = amps X volts, in the case of the PSU - watts - amps X 12 volts.

And here is a video from Der8auer, he has an engineering degree if I remember right and works for Case King in Germany talking about how many power wires a GPU really needs to work. He uses a 2080 Ti to demonstrate this and cuts all the wires he could before it stopped working. He ended up having only one power wire to each of the 8 pin connectors on the card and the ground wires needed and it worked without issue.

Just some info for future reference.

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Oh dear, you should have waited a few months lol.
There are also adaptor cables for PSUs, I've used one on my old psu cause I have two cards and one of them also has two 8pin connectors.
This is why I normally do not buy on the bleeding edge... as soon as you buy the latest and greatest, they come out with something else. I ordered the 2080ti before I saw your post and I even tried to do some research on future cards...

Oh well. I am sure the 2080ti will not disappoint.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
This is why I normally do not buy on the bleeding edge... as soon as you buy the latest and greatest, they come out with something else. I ordered the 2080ti before I saw your post and I even tried to do some research on future cards...

Oh well. I am sure the 2080ti will not disappoint.
It's definitely a good card, it's just overpriced atm.

Thora

Jan 2, 2018
The 2080ti should perform very well and retain good value overtime. Here's a thread showing the difference hardware can make:
https://f95zone.to/threads/new-gpu-rtx-2080-super-performance-comparison.35010/

If you have buyer's remorse, return the unopened box and go with a cheaper model. If budget is an issue, go with a 2060s or 2070s, retrofit an older system, and play around.

If you do keep the 2080ti, I'd pay the 100-200$ to get a high quality, high efficiency PSU. You'll be running a 1k+ usd GPU 24/7 in production; each 2080ti card draws ~260-340w at peak. The PSU is the last place I would look to save money...

This is an expensive hobby that can quickly turn into a money pit. You'll need to make sure you have all the software and assets you need. Like shoes, you never EVER have enough assets - Err I digress... Then you'll be running out of storage and after losing a few things and pissing off your patrons, you'll have to invest in a backup solution. Further down the road, your local network might no longer be sufficiently fast - but this is why your new NAS has link aggregation! Then you will upgrade your internet connection -again- to preserve the small amount of sanity and humanity you have remaining... :)

But all this... is quite a fun ride. Enjoy making your own games, and best of luck!

-T-

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: recreation

WillTylor

Creating "A Family Venture"
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
When you talk about rendering at night and using Vram, I assume you're talking about a batch renderer. Which one are you using? All the ones I've looked into won't use the vram and will only render with the cpu.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
When you talk about rendering at night and using Vram, I assume you're talking about a batch renderer. Which one are you using? All the ones I've looked into won't use the vram and will only render with the cpu.
That's not a batch render problem perse. If the first render of your batch already runs on cpu, then it's the render/scene itself. If it drops on later render, then it's because Daz doesn't empty vram after each render (which is annoying, but normal) and fills up to it's maximum unless you close it, wait for a minute or so and start it again.
There is one batch render that restarts Daz after each render, but I don't remember the name. It's here in the asset section somewhere.

Reactions: WillTylor

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Welp... I got the card and the new PSU. Installed it and I get a Bios failure; it gets to the bios screen, beeps and then turns off. I flashed a new bios... same problem and newest bios is 2013. I put the old card back in and it boots fine.

Sigh... I am worried my 8 year old MOBO is the issue, but it has a PCIe slot and every things I have read seems to think it should work. I may have to send it back and pick up a 1080ti or just pony up and get a new i7 MOBO.

Meh.

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
Welp... I got the card and the new PSU. Installed it and I get a Bios failure; it gets to the bios screen, beeps and then turns off. I flashed a new bios... same problem and newest bios is 2013. I put the old card back in and it boots fine.

Sigh... I am worried my 8 year old MOBO is the issue, but it has a PCIe slot and every things I have read seems to think it should work. I may have to send it back and pick up a 1080ti or just pony up and get a new i7 MOBO.

Meh.
If your motherboard is that old, will getting a newer one work with your processor? You say a new i7 MB, I'm assuming you have an Intel chip, I'm not completely familiar with the Intel CPUs and their boards, but as far as I know the older CPUs won't work in the newer sockets. Intel is pretty bad about keeping the same socket for different CPU skews.

If you are going to go that far as to get a new MB and possibly a new CPU also, I would suggest getting a Ryzen system. You can get a B450 or B470 board and purchase a 2000 series processor now to save some money, and in a year or two, if you want, get the 12 or 16 core 3000 series once they come down in price and have a really good work PC for years. Here in the States the 2700x is under $200 right now, a 2600 for a little over $100. I have the 2600 in the computer I built and have zero complaints with it.

Once you swap your MB, you'll have to re-activate your windows again, it will lock you out if you swap that. Happened to someone else on the site, he ended up calling Microsoft tech support and they helped him reactivate it. Too many hardware changes or a change of the MB will cause windows to lock you out.

I would contact the maker of the MB and GPU first explaining what is happening and asking them if they are compatible with each other first. Does you MB meet the minimum specs for the 2080 Ti, a PCIe x 16 slot? ( see picture from 2080 Ti manual )