GeForce RTX 2060 vs 2080

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
If your motherboard is that old, will getting a newer one work with your processor? You say a new i7 MB, I'm assuming you have an Intel chip, I'm not completely familiar with the Intel CPUs and their boards, but as far as I know the older CPUs won't work in the newer sockets. Intel is pretty bad about keeping the same socket for different CPU skews.

If you are going to go that far as to get a new MB and possibly a new CPU also, I would suggest getting a Ryzen system. You can get a B450 or B470 board and purchase a 2000 series processor now to save some money, and in a year or two, if you want, get the 12 or 16 core 3000 series once they come down in price and have a really good work PC for years. Here in the States the 2700x is under $200 right now, a 2600 for a little over $100. I have the 2600 in the computer I built and have zero complaints with it.

Once you swap your MB, you'll have to re-activate your windows again, it will lock you out if you swap that. Happened to someone else on the site, he ended up calling Microsoft tech support and they helped him reactivate it. Too many hardware changes or a change of the MB will cause windows to lock you out.

I would contact the maker of the MB and GPU first explaining what is happening and asking them if they are compatible with each other first. Does you MB meet the minimum specs for the 2080 Ti, a PCIe x 16 slot? ( see picture from 2080 Ti manual )
I would upgrade the mobo and the CPU, and yes, I thought my board met the minimum requirements. My current GTX card requires the same slot.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
When you talk about rendering at night and using Vram, I assume you're talking about a batch renderer. Which one are you using? All the ones I've looked into won't use the vram and will only render with the cpu.
As recreation says (Fuck, I can't mention... what a weird name you got, lol), if the problem is with the first render, the scene is too big; you have to find a way to optimize the scene.
Now, if the problem is from the second scene onwards, as he also says, it's because the memory doesn't empty completely... I use "Reder-a-lot" to render and it works well for me, but it doesn't have that option; if you want the automatic rendering program to close and open DAZ again you have to use "ManFriday's Render Queue":

Welp... I got the card and the new PSU. Installed it and I get a Bios failure; it gets to the bios screen, beeps and then turns off. I flashed a new bios... same problem and newest bios is 2013. I put the old card back in and it boots fine.

Sigh... I am worried my 8 year old MOBO is the issue, but it has a PCIe slot and every things I have read seems to think it should work. I may have to send it back and pick up a 1080ti or just pony up and get a new i7 MOBO.

Meh.
What motherboard and processor do you have?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
It's this one...

and I am running an Intel Core i5-2320 @ 3GHz with 8GB Ram.
Well, seems that PCI-E isn't 3.0 :confused:

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Well, seems that PCI-E isn't 3.0 :confused:

Yep... that's correct, but I made sure the brand of RTX I bought would work on 2.0.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Yep... that's correct, but I made sure the brand of RTX I bought would work on 2.0.

Yeah, "in theory" should go well, but... those things happen :p

These bios of some pre-assembled equipment manufacturers sometimes have strange configurations or limitations.

By the way, which PSU do you use?

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018

This is on the official nVidia approved PSUs list for the 2080ti and I had support confirm it for me over chat.

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I think I just need to return the card and start over. The cheapest way out at this point, is to buy a GTX 1080ti since the GTX cards seem to work on my rig and the 1080ti is still an impressive card.

Otherwise, I need to look at getting a new rig all together. I need to think about this for a while.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I think it's a compatibility problem... the pci-e port doesn't meet the official standard or the board doesn't fully support ATX or some BIOS limitation; it would also be interesting to try the 2080Ti on another computer to make sure the card works well.

You can buy the 1080Ti but... Who says you won't have the same problem? :unsure:

You have a very old system, I think it's time to upgrade it :p:ROFLMAO:;)

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
For example, here's one that has problems with a 1050Ti and the chipset on its motherboard is the same as yours:

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
For example, here's one that has problems with a 1050Ti and the chipset on its motherboard is the same as yours:
Yeah, but my GTX 1060 works just fine, but yes, I know you are probably right. It's time to upgrade.

• Haha
Reactions: Porcus Dev

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah, but my GTX 1060 works just fine, but yes, I know you are probably right. It's time to upgrade.
I know it seems like this is not meant to be for you, but this could be a blessing in disguise. If you are thinking you want to get a 1080 Ti and return the 2080 Ti, you can literally build a second computer with the price difference between them. You have already purchased the PSU, and you could go with a Ryzen system like I mentioned with a 2600 or 2700 and then you can have a PC to make scenes on and one to render on.

2600 $110
b450 MB $110
16 GB of RAM $100
1 TB SSD $100
Used 1080 Ti $350 to $400
Total = $700 to $800

$300 or so less than the GPU costs itself, This could increase your productivity just as much as buying the single 2080 Ti and saves you some money at the same time. Also if Nvidia does come out with new cards in 4 - 6 months with more VRAM it might save you from buyers remorse.

You could put the 1080 Ti in your current computer to render and use the new one as your daily driver for creating scenes and goofing of for basically about the same price you would have gotten the 2080 your were discussing at the beginning of the thread. Just something to think about.

I hope everything goes well for you, and wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteelyDan14

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I am wanting to pull the trigger on one of these and I have looked at all the specs, but I am having a hard time convincing myself the increase in performance between a 2060 and a 2080 is worth double the price.

Am I going to be kicking myself for not spending the extra 3-400?

And what is the deal with the different brands? Like MSI, ZOTEC or ASUS? They are all NVIDIA, right?

Sigh.... I hate all these specs and comparisons. I just read an article that said the 2060 is just a little better GTX 1070. It would almost be better to buy a 1080Ti.

I dodn't read other posts.
But you choose both cards really BAD :)

2060 6GB is too small. Not good card for it's cost.
2080 is not bad, but that price again. 2070 SUPER is almost same at performance, but price is much better.
And last thing to think about is 1080ti, wich have 11GB wich is BIG +. If you want to do bigger renders with more characters and items on scene.

So depending in price/performance ratio in rendering is this:

1/2070 SUPER
2/1080ti (second hand)
3/2080Ti (2080ti SUPER is on the way)
4/2070
5/2080 SUPER
6/2080
7/1070Ti (second hand)
8/1080 (second hand)
9/2060 SUPER (8GB version)

About question. Do I need more than 8GB Vram?

In my example If I use 3x Gen 8 characters in HD with solid hairs and about 2-3 light sources and some nice nviroment I'm just right under 8GB of Vram sometimes over the 8GB.

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I dodn't read other posts.
But you choose both cards really BAD :)

2060 6GB is too small. Not good card for it's cost.
2080 is not bad, but that price again. 2070 SUPER is almost same at performance, but price is much better.
And last thing to think about is 1080ti, wich have 11GB wich is BIG +. If you want to do bigger renders with more characters and items on scene.

So depending in price/performance ratio in rendering is this:

1/2070 SUPER
2/1080ti (second hand)
3/2080Ti (2080ti SUPER is on the way)
4/2070
5/2080 SUPER
6/2080
7/1070Ti (second hand)
8/1080 (second hand)
9/2060 SUPER (8GB version)

About question. Do I need more than 8GB Vram?

In my example If I use 3x Gen 8 characters in HD with solid hairs and about 2-3 light sources and some nice nviroment I'm just right under 8GB of Vram sometimes over the 8GB.
The short version, I ended up spending too much on a 2080ti, but I have to update the rig too.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
I am also in the boat of needing to upgrade my current GTX1060 6GB graphics card. Thankfully as I overspec'd my PSU / Motherboard on my current build they should not require any upgrading. I am currently pondering the following two alternatives, however am currently leaning towards to the 2080Ti.
- - 1700 AUD
- - 690 AUD

The reason I am tending towards to the RTX 2080Ti is the likelihood of adding another RTX 2080Ti in a year or so and the 11GB VRAM. The seed of doubt in my mind is whether 2 x RTX2060 would be a better option. From what I understand though, the 2 x 8GB does not effectively equate to 16GB of VRAM, as textures have to be be stored on both cards when using iRay. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

PS: I would prefer an ASUS card to the MSI, however the only ones available to be me are a 3 fan version (too long) at 2050 AUD and blower version (loud + crappy cooling) at 1800 AUD.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I am also in the boat of needing to upgrade my current GTX1060 6GB graphics card. Thankfully as I overspec'd my PSU / Motherboard on my current build they should not require any upgrading. I am currently pondering the following two alternatives, however am currently leaning towards to the 2080Ti.
- - 1700 AUD
- - 690 AUD

The reason I am tending towards to the RTX 2080Ti is the likelihood of adding another RTX 2080Ti in a year or so and the 11GB VRAM. The seed of doubt in my mind is whether 2 x RTX2060 would be a better option. From what I understand though, the 2 x 8GB does not effectively equate to 16GB of VRAM, as textures have to be be stored on both cards when using iRay. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

PS: I would prefer an ASUS card to the MSI, however the only ones available to be me are a 3 fan version (too long) at 2050 AUD and blower version (loud + crappy cooling) at 1800 AUD.
two 8gigs cards is still 8 gigs of Vram only professional cards like quadro can stacks vram over nvlink.
2070super is better than 2060S.

About Asus or other companies,just doesn't care about it. buy card that can fit in your case with best possible cooling.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
- - 1700 AUD
- - 690 AUD

If you're not in a hurry, maybe wait a couple of months to see if Nvidia launches the new 2080Ti Super.

No price or availability known, but rumor has it that it will incorporate 16GB and 4608 CUDA Cores :eek::devilish:

PS: But between 2080Ti and 2060, I also recommend the 2080Ti with its 11GB; I work with 1080Ti's and the 11GB are a delight.
PS2: As for 2 or 3 fans, I don't know to what point the temperature can differ, but from experience I can tell you that the heatsink has a lot of influence; I have a Palit with a huge heatsink and the temperatures don't rise beyond 70ºC, while the MSI reaches 84-86ºC quickly... the problem is that 2 Palit's of those don't fit in all the motherboards or cases, lol

Reactions: Xavster

-DarkHorizon-

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think it is smart to upgrade now, at least not a big one. Nvidia will bring their rtx 3000 cards next year and if their own statements are to be trusted, they'll bring massive performance improvements over current gen, also with possbile much bigger vram's.

I had an old 1060 6gb and only did a small upgrade (black friday bargain) to the 2060 super because I plan to upgrade big next year. The 2060 will then go into a 2nd pc or sold. In the meantime it did cut down my render times by a significant amount.

The 2070super for example only has a performance+ of maybe 10-15% to the 2060super but costs around 100-150$/€ more, which is not as good a deal in my opinion.

Reactions: Xavster

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
If you're not in a hurry, maybe wait a couple of months to see if Nvidia launches the new 2080Ti Super.

No price or availability known, but rumor has it that it will incorporate 16GB and 4608 CUDA Cores :eek::devilish:

PS: But between 2080Ti and 2060, I also recommend the 2080Ti with its 11GB; I work with 1080Ti's and the 11GB are a delight.
PS2: As for 2 or 3 fans, I don't know to what point the temperature can differ, but from experience I can tell you that the heatsink has a lot of influence; I have a Palit with a huge heatsink and the temperatures don't rise beyond 70ºC, while the MSI reaches 84-86ºC quickly... the problem is that 2 Palit's of those don't fit in all the motherboards or cases, lol
I don't think I can afford to wait until the 2080Ti Super is released. Currently the 6GB I have on my GPU keeps kicking renders back to CPU rendering when attempting to render an image series. The 3 fan models would provide better cooling, however at 31cm long, they struggle to fit in my case. I'll investigate the alternatives on teh 2 fan options to see whether there is a better cooling option. Also don't have access to Palit cards in Aus.

I don't think it is smart to upgrade now, at least not a big one. Nvidia will bring their rtx 3000 cards next year and if their own statements are to be trusted, they'll bring massive performance improvements over current gen, also with possbile much bigger vram's.

I had an old 1060 6gb and only did a small upgrade (black friday bargain) to the 2060 super because I plan to upgrade big next year. The 2060 will then go into a 2nd pc or sold. In the meantime it did cut down my render times by a significant amount.

The 2070super for example only has a performance+ of maybe 10-15% to the 2060super but costs around 100-150$/€ more, which is not as good a deal in my opinion.
I would like to defer procuring a card, as I really hate buying at the top of the range any paying a premium. However I need the additional VRAM to get my rending to work effectively. In the next couple of months I have a multitude of animations to do and simply need the grunt now. Now if they had a RTX2060 with 11GB VRAM that would be a different matter.

PS: I have been using Scene Optimiser on much of my work to get it to fit within my current hardware, however this is simply too restrictive for what I have planned.