GeForce RTX 2060 vs 2080

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I don't think I can afford to wait until the 2080Ti Super is released. Currently the 6GB I have on my GPU keeps kicking renders back to CPU rendering when attempting to render an image series. The 3 fan models would provide better cooling, however at 31cm long, they struggle to fit in my case. I'll investigate the alternatives on teh 2 fan options to see whether there is a better cooling option. Also don't have access to Palit cards in Aus.

I would like to defer procuring a card, as I really hate buying at the top of the range any paying a premium. However I need the additional VRAM to get my rending to work effectively. In the next couple of months I have a multitude of animations to do and simply need the grunt now. Now if they had a RTX2060 with 11GB VRAM that would be a different matter.

PS: I have been using Scene Optimiser on much of my work to get it to fit within my current hardware, however this is simply too restrictive for what I have planned.
Another possibility is to buy an economic 1080Ti, since your priority is to have more VRAM (before I had 2x1060 with 6GB and your same problem, many times I had to use Scene Optimizer; with 1080Ti the problem has gone, lol).

If you buy the 1080Ti you can have both cards mounted in the computer; when DAZ can, it will use both, and when the scene exceeds 6GB it will use only the 1080Ti... but at least in many cases you can use the power of both (I'm assuming your motherboard has support for two cards).

I think if you're going to change cards because of VRAM problems, going from 6GB to 8GB might not be a big jump, although certainly better; but going up to 11GB is definitely fantastic, hehe

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Another possibility is to buy an economic 1080Ti, since your priority is to have more VRAM (before I had 2x1060 with 6GB and your same problem, many times I had to use Scene Optimizer; with 1080Ti the problem has gone, lol).

If you buy the 1080Ti you can have both cards mounted in the computer; when DAZ can, it will use both, and when the scene exceeds 6GB it will use only the 1080Ti... but at least in many cases you can use the power of both (I'm assuming your motherboard has support for two cards).

I think if you're going to change cards because of VRAM problems, going from 6GB to 8GB might not be a big jump, although certainly better; but going up to 11GB is definitely fantastic, hehe
My motherboard has facility for 3 graphics cards, however the bandwidth on the 3rd slot is reduced and is also at the very bottom of the case, so wouldn't be able to fit a modern card. As far as getting a 1080Ti 11GB, no one seems to be selling them new these days and most of the second hand ones seem to the 8GB 1080's. I would prefer to stay away from the 2nd hand option, as you can never be quite sure what someone has done to the card and the reason behind selling the item in the first place.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
My motherboard has facility for 3 graphics cards, however the bandwidth on the 3rd slot is reduced and is also at the very bottom of the case, so wouldn't be able to fit a modern card. As far as getting a 1080Ti 11GB, no one seems to be selling them new these days and most of the second hand ones seem to the 8GB 1080's. I would prefer to stay away from the 2nd hand option, as you can never be quite sure what someone has done to the card and the reason behind selling the item in the first place.
In the case of rendering, the speed of the bus isn't so important; if instead of 16x it's 8x or 4x, the difference, I think, is insignificant, so you could use it anyway.
As for the space of the case, I think we all have the same problem due to the way the PCI-E slots are located; even if you have space in the case, depending on which cards, because of their height or to have more cooling space, they don't fit... that's what "risers" are for (but buy quality ones).

As for the 1080Ti, I'm lucky to have access to suppliers who are selling the remaining stock, they are new cards with full warranty, I bought 3 and on average have been cost around 500 €. If they were second-hand, maybe I wouldn't buy them either (although, at least here, second-hand still have 1 year warranty) ... Don't you have any friends or acquaintances who work in a computer store? :p:LOL:

Reactions: Xavster

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
In case anyone was interested, the TL;DR version is I kept my same rig and installed a 1080ti and it works great.

The long version is, I bought a new rig, but the case was too small and even if I could have gotten it installed, the power plug for the MOBO was directly under where the card would go. So I sent the PC back and sold my 2080ti and my GTX 1060 and purchased a 1080ti.

I am going to try and save some money and then just build my rig from scratch. This was such a reactionary process and I made so many mistakes... but now things seem to be pretty solid. I am going to give the card a rendering work out next week and see what happens.