Daz General Render Settings Guide

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
First of all this guide is not going to tell you what the best render settings for your renders are, this is just a basic explanation of several settings in the environment and tone mapping tab of the render settings! It will though, no doubt help you to make the most out of your render.

I've noticed that a lot of people don't know or understand how to use the environment (hdri) and tonemapping in Daz, so I thought I'll make a quick overview:
All screens are 4k, so click on them if you want to see more.

Starting of with a very simple scene with just the character, a few stones props, a spotlight and a camera in it:
1.JPG

You might notice that a few settings in the environment tab are already changed, more on that later, but for now I'll just make the hdri I've decided to use visible:
2.JPG

Looks quite nice, doesn't it? Notice how the overall color and the "Environment tint" match? It's not the hdri that has that color, it's the tint that recolors the whole scene :WeSmart:
But there's something wrong, isn't there?
Because of the low angle it looks like the char is lying on water. Of course we don't want that, so we go to dome mode and change it to "Finite sphere w/ ground":
3.JPG
4.JPG

Voila, fit's nicely!
This setting is very usefull for low angle shots like this, but not so much if the camera is higher, so you'll have to play a bit with the camera to find the perfect angle.

You might have noticed that the hdri looks a bit warped, that's because the "Dome scale multiplier" is set to 25, on default it's set to 100 which looks perfectly straight:
5.JPG

You might or might not know that when you change the focal length or width of the camera the background gets warped as well, so you can use the dome scale multiplier to fight against it... or just make Salvatore D'ali style render xD
6.JPG

Next up is "Environment map" and "Environment intensity", both do basically the same:
7.JPG

I don't think it needs much explanation, in simple terms: both make the scene brighter.
One other thing I'd like to mention is the "Ground position mode" (lower half of the environment tab), usually it's set to auto, this results in the hdri ground always being right under the lowest object in the scene, so that nothing clips inside the hdri, sadly this often looks like a char or object is floating above the hdri, so to fight that problem you can simply set it to manual and edit the height either by the object, or adjusting the "Ground origin Y".

Next up, Tone mapping:
As you can see I've changed some values here as well:
8.JPG

First is the "Burn highlights", what this does is it "strenghtens" bright areas (and only bright areas), so they become even brighter:
9.JPG

"Crush blacks" does the opposite, it strenghtens dark areas:
10.JPG

Next up is "Gamma" and, well, if you've ever played any video game (other than adult VN's xD) you'll probably know what it does:
11.JPG
12.JPG

One thing to note regarding gamma is that low values can really help bring out skin highlights such as freckles, blemishes, wrinkes, color, etc, but you'll obviously get a darker image.

I don't have a screen for saturation, but it's self explanatory, it's colorfulness, how much color the render has.

Next is "White point" which is a bit hard to explain and I'm actually using it wrong here, but I'll try my best:
In short or TL;DR: the white point is what it actually says, the color white, the color you set here will be replaced with white in the render, but of course it isn't that simple...
Imagine a strong spotlight where you change the color, let's say to green, of course it will affect everything that it reaches, so you get a gree'ish render, now change the white point to the same green color and everything that is close to green will have a different color, green that goes more into the orange color will change to orange/red, green that goes more into the blue will change to blue, etc...
Err... well as I said it's hard to explain and I never really cared enough to dig really deep into it, but I hope this explanation is enough to make it a bit understandable^^
A little comparison might help as well:
8.JPG
13.JPG

Next up is "Vignetting", most people will probably know what it does, for everyone else: It creates a dark area around the edges of an image and is often used as cinemtic effect:
15.JPG

Next we have "Film ISO" which affects the overall brightness of the render, this means that other that Environment intensity, this will also affect spotlights, pointlights, mesh lights, etc.
16.JPG 17.JPG

As you can see Film ISO also changes the exposure value.
You can also change the exposure value, but this will affect the shutter speed.
All of them are more or less "Brightness controls"
Whats interesting is that you can basically set the impact area of the brightness , or the brightness focal via F/Stop. A low F/Stop value will narrow the focal and a high value will open it.
Here is an example with low/narrow focal:
18.JPG

If you want to know more about the upper values look at some photography tutorials, since these are all used in photography and work similar.

Well, that's about it for this little Guide.
Hope it helps and happy rendering!

Last edited:

Alboe Interactive

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2020
Very thorough guide with great examples. I would love to see you make one on the Progressive Rendering and Filtering settings because every time I search it there are near a dozen conflicting answers. Even something as simple as what how much Rendering Quality, Pixel Filter Radius, and Samples affects the quality and render time. I mean, I just want to fine tune the balance between rendering speed and fidelity for my 2070, but Daz is so obtuse about it.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Very thorough guide with great examples. I would love to see you make one on the Progressive Rendering and Filtering settings because every time I search it there are near a dozen conflicting answers. Even something as simple as what how much Rendering Quality, Pixel Filter Radius, and Samples affects the quality and render time. I mean, I just want to fine tune the balance between rendering speed and fidelity for my 2070, but Daz is so obtuse about it.
Regarding progressive rendering I won't be a big help, I don't use rendering quality and just stop the render when it's good imo, usually between 2k and 5k iterations and I'm not using denoizer.

Reactions: Madmanator99

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
"recreation": "First of all this guide is not going to tell you what the best render settings for your renders are"

What? But but! .... Alright, I'll read it and ... OMG!!! This is even better than I thought!

Thank you so much recreation !! (y)

Reactions: recreation

pollenart

Apr 19, 2019
Regarding progressive rendering I won't be a big help, I don't use rendering quality and just stop the render when it's good imo, usually between 2k and 5k iterations and I'm not using denoizer.
never be scare :eek: of post denoise -- it gets a bad rap due to people's misuse of the feature

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
never be scare :eek: of post denoise -- it gets a bad rap due to people's misuse of the feature
Well, I kind of didn't tell the whole story, I do use denoizer if I have to, for animations for example.
I've also made several tests with different denoizers over time and I came to the conclusion that it's only really useful in a few scenarios:
Firstly animations, render times are just too high and animations hide a lot of the artefacts and you wont notice missing details a denoizer produces through the movement.
Second are scenes that don't have a lot of details, e.g. no characters in front of the scene, futuristic environments with smooth walls and stuff like that.
And of course if you want to have a smooth style overall.

If you want to keep little details (which I do), then there's no good reason to use a denoizer at all, the iteration count needs to be so high for the denoizer to not kill the details that it doesn't make a big difference anymore if you just let the render finish.

pollenart

Apr 19, 2019
Well, I kind of didn't tell the whole story, I do use denoizer if I have to, for animations for example.
I've also made several tests with different denoizers over time and I came to the conclusion that it's only really useful in a few scenarios:
Firstly animations, render times are just too high and animations hide a lot of the artefacts and you wont notice missing details a denoizer produces through the movement.
Second are scenes that don't have a lot of details, e.g. no characters in front of the scene, futuristic environments with smooth walls and stuff like that.
And of course if you want to have a smooth style overall.

If you want to keep little details (which I do), then there's no good reason to use a denoizer at all, the iteration count needs to be so high for the denoizer to not kill the details that it doesn't make a big difference anymore if you just let the render finish.

Set the start iteration higher and use a different pixel radius and you can still keep the detail. I always use post denoise and can still keep my 8k bumpmaps in focus. At the end of the day, everyones method is different, im just happy we have an inrender option like that.

Reactions: Midnight Prophets

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Set the start iteration higher and use a different pixel radius and you can still keep the detail. I always use post denoise and can still keep my 8k bumpmaps in focus. At the end of the day, everyones method is different, im just happy we have an inrender option like that.
For the Daz denoizer start iteration doesn't matter anymore, it used to permanently denoize at the iteration you entered which destroid the whole render when you let it hit too early, but now it'll only preview until the render is finished and only permanently denoize when you safe the render.
Anyway I'm using post denoizer as well since almost any denoizer does a better job than the daz one^^

pollenart

Apr 19, 2019
For the Daz denoizer start iteration doesn't matter anymore, it used to permanently denoize at the iteration you entered which destroid the whole render when you let it hit too early, but now it'll only preview until the render is finished and only permanently denoize when you safe the render.
Anyway I'm using post denoizer as well since almost any denoizer does a better job than the daz one^^
In my experience, yes the preview window will show the render change when post denoise kicks in but assuming you are rendering to a high iteration count and convergence percentage this isn't an issue for the finalized render.

Mar 6, 2018
Not gonna lie, working with hdri images has never been my strongsuit, so a guide like this is really helpfull for a beginner DAZ user like me. Thank you for taking the time to create this guide and helping others!

ALso random question, but this 'Sally' character, did you buy her or did you create her yourself? I am currently making a character of my own and I would love to use the same skintone on her.

Reactions: recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Not gonna lie, working with hdri images has never been my strongsuit, so a guide like this is really helpfull for a beginner DAZ user like me. Thank you for taking the time to create this guide and helping others!

ALso random question, but this 'Sally' character, did you buy her or did you create her yourself? I am currently making a character of my own and I would love to use the same skintone on her.
Sorry for the late answer, I didn't get a notification.
It's a selfmade char using my own shaders and tweaks.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes