genesis 3 vs genesis 8 for VN

EndyJoy

Apr 23, 2019
Hi i have question about using genesis models for VN renpy game.

Do u recommend G3 or G8? Especially because of searching content, cloths, hairs, morphs, props etc. (FREE download)

Advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks a Lot!

Yustu

May 22, 2018
IIRC there are converter for assets from G3 to G8, and vice versa, so I think that doesn't matter much. Most morphs are also compatible with both G3/8, well if You plan to use them as all of this (morphing / shaping etc.) can be done in Blender, but will take more time.

My own discovery is that G8 models perform worse then G3, especially for animation so if Your game will have these elements that's something to keep in mind (and I mean here default GX models, no hair / clothing etc.).

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
While most of the Hair, Clothing, and Poses can be converted from Gen 3 to 8 and the other way, Gen 8 has better textures, all of them are made for Iray, but they are heavier on your GPU. So, it will take longer to render a Gen 8 compared with a Gen 3.
I prefer Gen 8, I like them more :)

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
You dont need to convert gen 3 clothes or hair for gen 8, daz does it for you, the other way around you do. Gen 8 render nicer than gen 3. All my girls are Gen 8, they animate fine for me.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
G8 still has some issues with the mouth being messed up, if you do animation G3 is a better choice.

Reactions: lexx228

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
G8 still has some issues with the mouth being messed up, if you do animation G3 is a better choice.
Mouth has never been an issue for me as I have never animated it, but while my girls are gen 8 the MC is gen 3, making sex animations the girls hands are complete fuckers for jittering about no matter how you pin them down where the gen 3 male has no issue what so ever.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I always recommend to use g3. Why? Because g8 does nothing better. It's basically the same modell with just a few tweeks and a higher poly count (that is not visible).
G8 doesn't look better in general, it's just that g3 started out with 3dlight and then Daz got iray. The artists had to learn how to use it and over the time got better. What makes the g8 models look better are the textures and shaders, but you can use EVERY g8 Texture and EVERY g8 shader on a g3 and they will look exactly the same.
Also, there is still more content for g3.

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
I'm using g3 on my VN (I'll actually use a couple g8 characters, but they're minor side-characters without much screentime), but when I look at the available assets out there, I kind of wish I went with g8. That might be the "grass is always greener on the other side" effect, but it just looks to me like there's more good stuff out there for g8.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
but you can use EVERY g8 Texture and EVERY g8 shader on a g3 and they will look exactly the same.
Almost true, but certain exceptions on the G3 side. One of the things Daz did when they set up G8 was require that every figure use the same UV maps, so textures would be 100% interchangeable among G8 characters. That wasn't the case for G3 - there are some G3 figures that use a custom UV instead of the "default" one. Olympia 7 is an example - she has her own custom UV set. That means that standard G8 textures won't work on her, but most of the G3 textures won't either. (Has to be one of the "for Olympia 7" series to work.)

So, as long as the G3 character uses the default UV's, the statement is correct, but there are a few outlier G3 characters.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Almost true, but certain exceptions on the G3 side. One of the things Daz did when they set up G8 was require that every figure use the same UV maps, so textures would be 100% interchangeable among G8 characters. That wasn't the case for G3 - there are some G3 figures that use a custom UV instead of the "default" one. Olympia 7 is an example - she has her own custom UV set. That means that standard G8 textures won't work on her, but most of the G3 textures won't either. (Has to be one of the "for Olympia 7" series to work.)

So, as long as the G3 character uses the default UV's, the statement is correct, but there are a few outlier G3 characters.
You can use Daz Horse textures on G3, if you want to.

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
I always recommend to use g3. Why? Because g8 does nothing better. It's basically the same modell with just a few tweeks and a higher poly count (that is not visible).
G8 doesn't look better in general, it's just that g3 started out with 3dlight and then Daz got iray. The artists had to learn how to use it and over the time got better. What makes the g8 models look better are the textures and shaders, but you can use EVERY g8 Texture and EVERY g8 shader on a g3 and they will look exactly the same.
Also, there is still more content for g3.
I typically find that I like the faces of the g3 models better than g8. I've tried to use g8 mats on g3 characters but couldn't get them to work. I've only been able to use other g3 mats on g3 models. Do I need a particular software to apply g8 mats to g3 models?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I typically find that I like the faces of the g3 models better than g8. I've tried to use g8 mats on g3 characters but couldn't get them to work. I've only been able to use other g3 mats on g3 models. Do I need a particular software to apply g8 mats to g3 models?
That's actually nothing special, deselect the "Filter by Content" checkbox and it should work. If it doesnt, load the g8 you want the mats from plus the g3 you want to add them:
Go to surfaces tab -> select g8 -> surfaces -> right click -> copy surfaces -> go to g3 and right click -> paste surfaces (if g3 has a non iray surface you have to change that before you can paste iray mats: smart content -> shaders -> iray -> uber -> iray uber base, then you should be able to paste the g8 surface).

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
That's actually nothing special, deselect the "Filter by Content" checkbox and it should work. If it doesnt, load the g8 you want the mats from plus the g3 you want to add them:
Go to surfaces tab -> select g8 -> surfaces -> right click -> copy surfaces -> go to g3 and right click -> paste surfaces (if g3 has a non iray surface you have to change that before you can paste iray mats: smart content -> shaders -> iray -> uber -> iray uber base, then you should be able to paste the g8 surface).
Thanks. That worked well although, once I use the g8 mat I can't use the g3 makeup options for instance as it reapplies the g3 mat to the face. Not a hug deal as I can just use the g8 options.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Thanks. That worked well although, once I use the g8 mat I can't use the g3 makeup options for instance as it reapplies the g3 mat to the face. Not a hug deal as I can just use the g8 options.
That should be the same for g3 mats. They simply overwride the other mats. If they are L.I.E presets You can use them if you find the texture folder and apply them manually.

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
That should be the same for g3 mats. They simply overwride the other mats. If they are L.I.E presets You can use them if you find the texture folder and apply them manually.
I've tried going to the texture files but it still seems to bring back the old mat. These are for a character with the old iray materials so it may be best that I don't use her makeup options. Have tried tons of options trying other skins to try and get the character to look like her promo images. She looks much better with the other skins. It's just that she doesn't look like her promo images which is the reason I got the model and made her a major character in my game.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I've tried going to the texture files but it still seems to bring back the old mat. These are for a character with the old iray materials so it may be best that I don't use her makeup options. Have tried tons of options trying other skins to try and get the character to look like her promo images. She looks much better with the other skins. It's just that she doesn't look like her promo images which is the reason I got the model and made her a major character in my game.
making them look the same as in other peoples renders is never easy, they use other render settings and maybe even other shaders, it's a game of guessing^^

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I like G3, 'cuz it's in between V4/G1/G2 and G8. As such it does pretty well when autofitting clothes from other generations.

However, shoe autofitting can be a disaster at times, particularly since they changed the default pose between G3 and G8. So I tend to use shoes from the same generation.

G3 is often less resource intensive as well. There are ways to reduce texture overhead for G8 of course, but since I often work with 'default' textures, I prefer G3.

HOWEVER, DForce is kinda a G8 thing. So if you like more realistic looking draping on clothes, then G8 might be the way to go. And now there's the new hair thingie for G8 as well.

It all comes down to taste. If you like how G8 figs looks more than G3 figs, that may be your answer.

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
making them look the same as in other peoples renders is never easy, they use other render settings and maybe even other shaders, it's a game of guessing^^
Thanks for the reply. This model's issue was the use of old iray material. I contacted the person who made the character and she confirmed that the old iray material was used for the model. She said this would make it very difficult to achieve a similar look. I did try the recommended settings adjustment for the iray change but this didn't work. I also posted to the daz forum but didn't receive any responses.