genesis 3 vs genesis 8 for VN

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I decided to focus on Genesis 8 for Females at first, because most of the games out at the time I started use(d) mostly Genesis 3 models that looked similar, and I thought the newer models would be less familiar to players. Of course I am no further along on my game, and I am seeing more Gen 8 models out there, so, LOL. Still going to try to make mine unique, but it is tough.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
They DO make morph dials to customize characters with, just sayin... no need to export and re-import a character, hoping that the texture maps don't get fucked with in the process.

Genesis 8 comes with a few, plus there are the Zev0, Sickleyield, and other morph addons that give you a LOT more options when it comes to customizing a character. I'm thinking specifically of the free Sickleyield morphs on ShareCG.

There is even a morph randomizer which can create entirely new characters for you. Just spin the setup dials and run the randomizer a few times until you end up with a particularly pleasing shape.

Also this one, but you'll need the relevant morph packs:

You can also swap out skin maps to a degree on Genesis 8 using skin maps from other characters, which can significantly change the appearance of a character. Between these two options, yeah you ALREADY have the tools needed to create your own character.

There are also a number of free characters and character shapes on Renderosity, ShareCG, and a couple of other places, which increases your options.

I generally don't sweat using 'prebuilt' characters though. Daz sells them that way for a reason, and other game designers do NOT have an exclusive license on those characters. Characters that they (the game designers) dial in themselves using various methods are another story of course, but at that point they aren't 'just' pre-built characters available in the Daz store.

In short, you can do a LOT with the morph shaping dials. Look into them.

Last edited:

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I generally don't sweat using 'prebuilt' characters though. Daz sells them that way for a reason, and other game designers do NOT have an exclusive license on those characters. Characters that they dial in themselves using various methods are another story of course, but at that point they aren't 'just' pre-built characters available in the Daz store.
This is true-also the prebuilt characters are done (for the most part) by professionals-I always feel like my half-assed attempts to unique-ify
them always does them a disservice, lol.

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Also, it's amazing how much a character's appearance can change just by using a different hairstyle. Rochelle Ponytail hair always makes me think of Dee or a couple of other specific characers, unless their faces are radically different.

Moral of the story = Rochelle Ponytail Hair, while awesome, is overused in VN's...

Reactions: FranceToast

Yustu

May 22, 2018
Indeed, but blender is free and ultimately, when mastered, with conjunction with Daz can yield incredible results (animation).

Situation complicate a little bit when You want to recreate existing character then even with morphs I don't think everything is possible not to mention time needed to be in-wasted into learning all morphs and what they do exactly. Going with Blender (or any other 3d package) is much faster solution. And I know, that was not the question, just additional POV as this is good oportunity to learn new skills.