Others - Completed - Ghost Hunter Vena [v1.10a] [Vosmug]

1. 5.00 star(s)

felixhunt

Great Atmosphere, Great X Scenes, Knows what it is and does it well. If you like a little spook in your X Games, give this a shot. Can be a little difficult and will definitely take 15 minutes to get used to.

To All the 1 Star Reviews

G1t Gud
  2. 1.00 star(s)

greednut

It has sound, for that im impressed.
    the character control system is a mess.
    graphic is terrible.
    game play is terrible.
    I saw some comparing this to Night of revenge,
    bruh, no match.
    but still thanks for the hardwork.
    it did kill me like 20 mintues.
  3. 4.00 star(s)

ArchDevilCro

Version i reviev is 1.09
    To keep this short, story is great, monster fight is great (i personaly realy like version 1.09 hard mode), idea that there is not loose to have some sex scenes is realy good, missing a lot of sex scene options (there could be done a lot more) and bad ending
  4. 2.00 star(s)

Xol

Note: game is at version 1.09 as of the writing of this review, so if it changes afterwards, take this review with a grain of salt.

Stability: No bugs that I encountered.

Gameplay: Controls are reasonable and responsive. Character movement speed is a little slow, but alright otherwise. There's no standard "jumping" ability, and instead you gain an odd "flight" ability early on instead, which is kind of weird, but eh, it works for this game.

Easily the biggest flaw, though, and the reason I'm very tempted to give this game only a single star, is the infuriating, downright impossible combat. In order to defeat enemies, you must first land a stun attack, followed by a second attack that actually does the damage. The problem is, the enemies are flying all around you and only intermittently become vulnerable- with seemingly no predictable pattern as to when or for how long they'll do so. Given that they are often well above the range of your attack (you can't aim up, only one side or the other), you're not even guaranteed to hit. This sometimes includes when they're right on top of you, for some reason.

And the damage you do, even with the first damage upgrade, is also pathetic. And keep in mind that a lot of times, the brief moment when they are vulnerable, it means they're about to attack you. And all too often, especially beyond the intro area, the timing window is so small that by the time you launch a stun attack, it may well be too late.

Nevermind that ghosts are always in groups and stunning one leaves you vulnerable to an attack from the other side, which pins you once you're naked (which will happen very quickly) and prevent you from doing the actual damage attack to your target- especially considering how briefly they're stunned, even with one or two upgrades to stun duration. Upgrades which are overly costly for the orbs you manage to acquire, I might add. And you can only get them in two key locations on the map.

Honestly, if it were *only* down to gameplay, I'd easily give this game a single star. It's that bad.

Aesthetics: T
    he ghost designs are creative and interesting, and the animations are pretty well done.

Content (General):
    Seems to be quite a bit of it, but it's hard to gauge, due to the absurd difficulty slowing you down fairly early on.

Content (XXX):
    Again, the ghost designs are interesting and pretty well varied, and the animations are quite enjoyable. These two categories are the only saving grace preventing me from giving this game a lower score.

Overall:
    Good aesthetics and designs, terrible and infuriating gameplay with some neat ideas that are implemented awfully. FUCK the gameplay. It's terrible. Which is a shame, because with some tweaking, it could be fun. And maybe some updates will fix it in the future. For now though, get a 100% save if you can and spare yourself the irritation, because the animations and general aesthetics are the only thing this game has going for it.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Ikegamo

Picked it back up after having finished it on NG a year back. Thus this review will only cover the NG+ side of the game. As I remembered it being, the game is pretty solid. My only two main issues are as follows.

Combat-wise there's no way to avoid 2 ghosts simultaneously attacking from both directions, which happens quite often. You're stuck hoping certain ghosts don't attack at the times where it is simply impossible to dodge them. Group fights can quickly become a clustered nightmare which is just frustrating.

The way NG+ makes the game more "difficult". Okay, NG+ is supposed to up the scales but where it simply becomes annoying is the amount of health some bosses have. Often I really felt like the fights dragged on for way too long, resulting in me having dodged the same attack a good 20 times in one fight. The final boss really overused one-hit-kill abilities. I don't remember if that was the case in NG anymore but it was just frustrating to the point where I just stuck to the bottom of the map, hoping she never used the ray attack in that spot once. She didn't, after a good amount of deaths. I beat a good amount of bosses using sheer luck just to get out of their 0.1 dodge frame attacks.

Despite these issues the game's story is quite interesting, no huge text walls or constant choicemaking either. The fact that the translation was done really well made the characters all the more likeable for me. Things never really went stale, sometimes our protagonists would argue, have some wit to them, ...

Finally, the H-scenes. Really well done, it really shows that a lot of effort went into them. I don't know if this game will be updated in the future, but once those aforementioned issues are ironed out we'll have a masterpiece on our hands.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

dlex0

This is a fantastic sidescroller! The animations are on point. They even went back and updated the gallery to include more of the in game animations after feedback. I seriously can't recommend this enough!
  7. 5.00 star(s)

KrystalStuck

I had written an entire review going over each individual aspect of the game, but it seems that I accidentally clicked outside the text window and lost a whole lot of text. Regardless.

This is a PHENOMENAL piece of work. Compelling story, likeable characters, well-made sex animations (a whole LOT of them). Controls take some getting used to, but the developer made sure to ease you into them. No need to play the memory game before starting!

Total gameplay ended at about 4 hours, which is a hell of a mark to make for a game like this. Not a single minute playing was wasted.

My only complaints lie in the awkward walking animations, difficulty of collecting orbs (constantly expending them just to stay alive), and "mini"map layout (but only initially, after getting used to it I was much more comfortable navigating around).

All in all, a better game than most of the content I've found on this site! Highly recommend!
  8. 4.00 star(s)

Rubar

Quite an enjoyable platformer with solid English translations/dialogue, enjoyable gameplay, and a cohesive story with H-content mostly well-woven into it.

The foundation for this game is largely another female-protagonist 2D side-scroller where failure to dodge/struggle fast enough (intentionally or otherwise) results in first clothing destruction, then multi-orifice rape. However, Ghost Hunter Vena provides a wide range of mechanics and situations to rise above the frustrations I've found typically plague these games. For example, it gives the player a surprising amount of control over when and how often the MC ends up choking on ghost-schlong, while still managing to present largely challenging and interesting gameplay. As a game, this game does very well.

Story-wise the game treads little new ground, relying largely on tropes to provide back-story for the characters (which is my main criticism of the game). However, the tropes are at least competently used as a foundation to a coherent story that even manages to be engaging and provide a few mild twists. Most importantly, this is an H-game from the ground up, so there are plenty of story H-scenes that arise naturally from the narrative, with a good mix of various characters and scenarios.

Speaking of H-content, I should note that while this is a horror game (there are very disturbing themes throughout), the game doesn't go heavy into it graphically. Blood is a common element (some of the evil ghosts literally drip it) and there is death, but it's purely in service of story and well separated from H-content. For example, if the MC is defeated by one of the blood-drippy ghosts, there's no rape scene - it's just a fast fade to white, and then you're back at the last save point.

The graphics and animation are largely simple (and occasionally quite bad), but the game clearly evidences some strong prioritization and time-management skills. A character might transition from a short, wooden, shambling walk cycle to a detailed animation of clothing shredding and holes being gradually penetrated, complete with jiggling breasts. Overall, I had no complaints here, and a few pleasant surprises.

The main flaw with the game, and the thing stopping me from just giving it a 5-star review, is the lack of personality from the characters during H-content. A few of the story H-scenes provide some window into how the characters are reacting to the situation, but by and large the MC responds to having her holes stretched and filled with some mixture of stoicism and blushing ahegao face, seemingly randomly chosen. The MC is often given the choice of being clothed or naked, but this decision has no impact on interaction with other characters, and - most disappointingly - when there is dialogue about sex and sexuality, it usually takes a form something like this: The MC picks herself up off the floor, completely naked and leaking from her freshly-fucked holes in full view of the people around her... Then freaks out because someone just said the word "semen", and that's a naughty word.

Despite its flaws, I enjoyed this game and would recommend it. But it's hard not to wish that it'd been just a little bit more.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

SB-Luna

Great game, good reactive gameplay that requires you to learn enemy attacks. Interesting story (although it has a slightly rushed end but dont let that stop you) and good scenes! You really should play this! takes about 4 hours to complete.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

voidzone247

Just finished it from beginning to end in one sitting of roughly 4½ hours. The platforming is nothing special, and the final boss is just a nightmare of bad movement and hitboxes and oneshots.

That said, the story is excellent, the english is okay, and the animations are pretty sweet once you get a hang of how to manipulate them. Don't break free, but don't let the bar bottom out either, once it turns pink you're good to go - repeat performances after being "pinked" may show extra animations.

The gallery unlocks after you clear the game, but it leaves a bit to be desired. The ingame animations are definitely better.