5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

Karl Speidel

Sep 20, 2021
I don't like game modes anyway, so I'm not sure how much weight my opinion carries, but what I found when I tried it was that it was so much weaker in terms of narrative than story mode. In story mode the fight scenes all feel much more unique, and there are character development moments that were just completely missing from the game mode. From the very first fight, where in story mode Trixie has trouble fighting something that looks human, and how she gets upset afterwards, right through the rest, there is a narrative in the encounters in story mode that is completely absent in game mode. Random enemies appear, she hits them and they disappear again, that's it.
What I would do is rig it so that the first encounter is always a waxwarped blank, and have the introduction scene from the story mode play before the encounter, then after she beats it play the end of the story mode encounter. Do the same with other encounters throughout the missions to tie everything together better.
Not 100% sure how it is in this game,personally i like the game mode over story mode 10 times out of 10,without any gameplay it would be just a VN and has more potential than just a VN that is easily forgotten and offers no replyibility.

Atleast for Desideratum which im playing curently,the story mode is terrible in comparison to the game mode (which is temporarly disabled) even as bland,generic and clancky it was it was much better than VN mode.

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
The Anax Mars is really part of your team?
Well I do all the writing, purchase the music, and do all the artwork, but the reason I was able to switch to Renpy from Twine was that Mars as a volunteer fan, does the programming for GN for me and set it up so I could have the old game mode from DBB before it broke, onto here. Basically, the same way as the anonymous programmer of SBC helps me with the programming on that one. I do all other things, but outside of Twine I am definitely not a programmer lol

Edit:. In a nutshell, I "prayed and waited for a miracle to happen". Miracle Mars! Lol

Last edited:

mars112358

Game Developer
Jan 3, 2019
Lets take it step by step

1 I can understand the different playstyle of Giggle trial,if done differently its fine to potentially good,its just that I like alot the style of DBB with ancient artifacts with rich history been used both in combat and story reasons. How do you plan to do those powers and integrate them ingame? Will Trixie aquire more powers or skills?

2. RNG is usually bad especially in games where gameplay is neglected in favor of story/dialogue,etc. Adding some descriptions would be needed,while i get the whole punch is the most accurate and least damaged and so on,i want some hard data so i can make an informed decision,i mean its quite vague. Even so i found that many times the rng favored the enemies more with more frequent crits and sometimes ridicoulous things like not even hitting with punch twice in a row or maybe even 3 times in a row. Also it doesnt feel like there is a huge difference between punch kick and uppercut,which a description is not optional but needed.

3. No I did not spamm upercut at all,here's my ideas,to make those 3 attacks better add some effects to them,small or big to differenciate them,kick could have a small chance to stagger a enemy giving you a free turn,uppercut could have higher crit chance and punch i guess could have a small chance to completly ignore armor. DM me if you want to discuss more effects and attacks.

4.I would make battles more unique by giving each enemy a set of attacks not just a basic one and thats about it really,one problem as of right now is that its very inconsistent how they attack your will or health,sometimes i barely had any damage to my health and other times will,putting alot of preassure on one stat and burning through heals,check frequent crits above too or misses in a row even for punch.

Im not sure if possible but im a fan of grapple attacks/moves and status effects both in h games and non h,it would be great if they had a binding attack that either deals alot of damage if not avoided or could corrupt you slowly by filling a bar that persists in the game or without a bar at all.

Status effects are a joke right now,i only saw i think against wax wizard one and there was no description of what it did,not that i mattered since i think it only did damage your will each turn,i would like each enemy to have status effects with descriptions and them to do more than just deal damage to you periodically.

Enemies should also have fight style that make them a challange not a nuisance and that fits with their lore like idk the candle enemy burning you,healing himself when low,making you sticky,etc. I have many ideas if you are interested.

Maps are slow,boring and non-interactive,i would like something like lore being findable,other items/powers/upgrades or something to find or just make it less clanky.

Maybe making it so you can fight multiple normal enemies at once? Special enemies/mini bosses like Haystack should be able to call reinforcements. Bosses should be more than just a normal minion but with more health like it is right now.

1) So not sure what you mean by by DBB having better gameplay since it was literally only attack, defend, or use an item, and with my build of the game mode for GN I have been trying to improve that which is why there are now different attacks and powers.

2) For the RNG I don't think it is weight towards the enemies right now but the balance isn't finalized and there will be a guide with all the number released with the final version so you will be able to see the hard numbers but I will take another look and see if some of the enemies are massively unbalanced.

3) So for the three basic attacks there are differences in hit rates and damage but the stuff like stunning the enemy will be left to the special and ultimate attacks that are not yet added to the game, the special will be added in the next version as part of the zoo mission.

4) So for enemy applied statuses that is an ongoing discussion with Anax about adding more since when he first did the initial game mode in the twine versions the progrmer who was helping him didn't want to add massive complexity to the game which is why only the basic poison and cursed status effects are added right now. Currently there is also smash attacks that enemies like the golem and haystack have. The issue with giving each enemy a unique attack is that there are currently 19 enemies in the game and zoo is basically going to double that so it is just not practical to give each of them a special attack from either the code or animation side, so the enemies are differentiated more in their stats which determines how best to fight them.

5) as for the maps the first two have been kept deliberately more simple as they are the first ones that the player will do, but the complexity will be increasing with the future mission, eg the cavern hunt in DBB is a good example of a more complex map.

6) as for fighting multiple enemies at once, while technically it is do able, it would make the RNG worse since you are now fighting two enemies and likely wouldn't add much to the fights. So all of the bosses do currently have special attacks so they are not just an enemy with more health.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
2) For the RNG I don't think it is weight towards the enemies right now but the balance isn't finalized and there will be a guide with all the number released with the final version so you will be able to see the hard numbers but I will take another look and see if some of the enemies are massively unbalanced.
RNG is really problematic even for AAA companies. I remember an interview with an XCom dev, and they talked about how when the game shows "95% hit chance", it isn't actually 95% because players "feel" that a 1/20 chance to miss should be lower than it actually is. It's just human nature, we are really quite terrible at estimating randomness. If the hit chance is 50/50 then missing several times in a row isn't very unlikely, when you are making lots of attacks. But people feel that if they launch several attacks that some of them should hit. Perhaps a simple fudge would be to give Trixie a hidden buff to hit that increases each time she misses, making long strings of misses less likely? Point is, it's a difficult area to work in.
Regarding general balance, a rough (very rough) estimator you can use for how strong an enemy is is their expected damage multiplied by their health. That works since the more health they have, the more times they can hit Trixie before she finishes them off.

Eternal_Darkness

Oct 28, 2020
oh yes, i can confirm the X-COM part; I watched a streamer that missed many good +60-85% shots where the enemies on the other hand hit shots with an accuracy> 40-20%, so yeah rng can feel sometimes as a disadvantage

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Any news on update?
So the farm update that I posted here on Halloween was the update that normally would have been released at the beginning of this month. I gave it out 2 months early as a Halloween treat. So we have to wait now until probably I'm guessing April ish or May for the zoo release that my patrons have to be released here.

As an aside I have decided not to do it like this again next year, as much as I like giving people extra treats. I think it creates too long of a gap for the people that are sucking me dry like leeches to get their free updates LOL just kidding. But I do think it takes too long for the free updates when I do it like this.

Deleted member 2422104

Jun 2, 2020
So the farm update that I posted here on Halloween was the update that normally would have been released at the beginning of this month. I gave it out 2 months early as a Halloween treat. So we have to wait now until probably I'm guessing April ish or May for the zoo release that my patrons have to be released here.

As an aside I have decided not to do it like this again next year, as much as I like giving people extra treats. I think it creates too long of a gap for the people that are sucking me dry like leeches to get their free updates LOL just kidding. But I do think it takes too long for the free updates when I do it like this.
Ok No issues Just wanted to know how its going.
Thanks for replying

Reactions: The Anax

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah on this new update there was a major overhaul, I hope you'll enjoy it. It's also got 18 new bad ends with a huge amount of art. I also went back and redid All of the renders for the game mode which is now going to be in first person. So this was a big one.

Deleted member 2422104

Jun 2, 2020
Yeah on this new update there was a major overhaul, I hope you'll enjoy it. It's also got 18 new bad ends with a huge amount of art. I also went back and redid All of the renders for the game mode which is now going to be in first person. So this was a big one.
Oh then wait will be very fruitful

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Running a since I only have a little time to act on this:
GoFundMe.jpg

Reactions: FFTW

Nayko93

Feb 3, 2018
Running a since I only have a little time to act on this:
View attachment 2502089
This is why piracy is important ! to save things before they get lost for ever
If you really want his memory to live on, post all the models here please
( especially since you're asking peoples money to buy them, the right thing to do it to give them to the peoples )

Last edited:

Kioku

Jan 16, 2019
This is why piracy is important ! to save things before they get lost for ever
If you really want his memory to live on, post all the models here please
( especially since you're asking peoples money to buy them, the right thing to do it to give them to the peoples )
Honestly, I think in this case, I have to say I agree.

If they're going to be obsolete, then I feel they are fair game to post.

Reactions: Hellofacritic

bobbot

May 10, 2018
Honestly, I think in this case, I have to say I agree.

If they're going to be obsolete, then I feel they are fair game to post.
simalr line of thought here. ive seen so many things go poof, games, artwork, even books. archival is important as things may disappear for the stupidist reasons, drm, artist got a wild hair up their ass, moral panics, ect. if the artist took their work down because they dont want to be assosiated with it anymore enjoyers of the work should be allowd to repost it under artist unknown as long as they dont try to take credit for the work because others might enjoy it too.

The Anax

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Ok, I hit the GoFundMe and bought the models (as you all know I buy all my models, not pirate), however, I will share these but not until the admin takes them down from Renderosity. Since she said she would "wait a while" before removing them, I do not know how long it will be. I did get a Renderosity sitemail from Dinoraul's sister, and she said:

"Hi, my brother who made them is dead and I deleted a lot of pictures -, because he is known as the dinosaur artist and many people don't support his dark creations, I want him to be known only through them..Renderocity is aware of this. I apologize for the inconvenience. and I will say my brother's thanks - for respecting his art. The best! Raul's sister."

So, regardless of her desire to hide his dark creations- as a dark creator- I will ensure his interesting monsters live on. Though most people will not be interested in them, but I will share the work after it all comes off Renderosity. In the meantime, here is the receipt for any of you that donated to me from here.

1680212852860.png

bobbot

May 10, 2018
Ok, I hit the GoFundMe and bought the models (as you all know I buy all my models, not pirate), however, I will share these but not until the admin takes them down from Renderosity. Since she said she would "wait a while" before removing them, I do not know how long it will be. I did get a Renderosity sitemail from Dinoraul's sister, and she said:

"Hi, my brother who made them is dead and I deleted a lot of pictures -, because he is known as the dinosaur artist and many people don't support his dark creations, I want him to be known only through them..Renderocity is aware of this. I apologize for the inconvenience. and I will say my brother's thanks - for respecting his art. The best! Raul's sister."

So, regardless of her desire to hide his dark creations- as a dark creator- I will ensure his interesting monsters live on. Though most people will not be interested in them, but I will share the work after it all comes off Renderosity. In the meantime, here is the receipt for any of you that donated to me from here.

View attachment 2507934
thank you anax. thats all i can really say.

Reactions: The Anax
5.00 star(s) 9 Votes