GOFILE links forcing ADs?!?

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
GoFile is a subsidiary of Wojtek, so yeah it have a staff, that need to be payed (including all the social charges). And who say staff also say a place where they works. Do you have the starts of a clue how fucking high it cost to be located in the Champs Elysee (Paris, France) ? But well, I guess that it's Wojtek itself that pay for that.

They make US$ 20K/month ? Well, 10,000 for the hosting (they have more redundancy that NOPY had), what left enough to pay three guys (or girls) 2,000€/month, what is the expected salary for what they are doing.

So yeah, not really something astounding.
Why are you always so bitter?

Besides that, you're just picking numbers out of thin air and making assumptions for the rest of your post. It's so weird. Not sure if you noticed, but you still managed to give them a 20% profit margin lol?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Just downloaded 2 500mg files using brave browser and never got any ads. Not sure if it's a thing with gofile but are you sure the accounts you are downloading files from haven't been given the option to monetize their account? Not even sure if it's an option there but might explain why some don't get ads and others do.
It doesn't appear on Brave, or any browser with a decent adblocker. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known this.
Imagine using internet in [Current Year] without adblocker. :HideThePain:

Reactions: morphnet

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Besides that, you're just picking numbers out of thin air and making assumptions for the rest of your post.
What assumption exactly ?
It's not because you don't know what you're talking about that it's the case for everyone.

You are the one saying they are making 20K through their Patreon.

GoFile is a subsidiary of Wojtek and located on the Champs Elysee ; it's .

Minimal wage in France is ~1,500€/month, so between the guy doing the support, who's payed the less, and the guy doing the system administration, who's payed the most, it lead to a 2,000€/month average salary.
Due to the social charges applied in France, when you're payed 2,000€, it cost ~2,900€ to your employer.
But I admit that I cheat for this one. Being French and working on the field I knew this beforehand.

For their networks, it's not really something difficult to get, the IP addresses are public, as well as RIPE whois database. But yeah, here again I cheated a bit, they have two OVH data centers in common with us at work ; what also helped me to estimate the cost.

Not sure if you noticed, but you still managed to give them a 20% profit margin lol?
US$ 20,000 is 18,700€. I gave them a perfectly balanced budget ; 2,900x3 for the salaries + 10,000 as hosting cost.
And by the way, 1,000 is 5% of 20,000, not 20%.

As to answer your initial question, stop saying stupidities, it would help.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I can confirm, today the popup also showed up for me, but all you have to do is click "watch ad" and the popup disappears without showing any ad if you are using an adblocker.

So far so good, unless they add a more intrusive validation.

Reactions: Hagatagar

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I can confirm, today the popup also showed up for me, but all you have to do is click "watch ad" and the popup disappears without showing any ad if you are using an adblocker.

So far so good, unless they add a more intrusive validation.
With a more powerful adblocker (such as brave's), the popup doesn't even appear. If you have brave, it is prob worth using it for gofile hosts from now on.

Reactions: morphnet

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
What assumption exactly ?
It's not because you don't know what you're talking about that it's the case for everyone.
Give it a rest, all you seem to do is crash into threads, make up stuff and proclaim you're right. It's pretty tiring dude.
You are the one saying they are making 20K through their Patreon.
You can look and see yourself. In all likelihood it's far higher because I used their bottom tier and rounded up. 5 euro being the smallest and 100 euro being the highest.
GoFile is a subsidiary of Wojtek and located on the Champs Elysee ; it's .

Minimal wage in France is ~1,500€/month, so between the guy doing the support, who's payed the less, and the guy doing the system administration, who's payed the most, it lead to a 2,000€/month average salary.
Due to the social charges applied in France, when you're payed 2,000€, it cost ~2,900€ to your employer.
But I admit that I cheat for this one. Being French and working on the field I knew this beforehand.
And again, all of the above is pulled out of thin air. Neither you nor me even know if they have paid staff to begin with.
For their networks, it's not really something difficult to get, the IP addresses are public, as well as RIPE whois database. But yeah, here again I cheated a bit, they have two OVH data centers in common with us at work ; what also helped me to estimate the cost.
Yeah, they primarily use OVH and use a different french DC for their heavy storage. I find it hard to believe they have a paid sysadmin too considering they have this ( ) which is only protected with basic-auth and for the love of all that is holy, I really hope isn't . They don't seem to own any IP space either.

US$ 20,000 is 18,700€. I gave them a perfectly balanced budget ; 2,900x3 for the salaries + 10,000 as hosting cost.
And by the way, 1,000 is 5% of 20,000, not 20%.
I was using euros to begin with, france is in europe, gofile is in europe. Dollars have nothing to do with anything and I've no idea why you bring it up.

10,000 for the hosting (they have more redundancy that NOPY had), what left enough to pay three guys (or girls) 2,000€/month
20-16=4. 20% of 20 = 4. I admire that you went to the effort to change the numbers though when literally the only thing it'd achieve is making me wrong. That alone sums you up.

As to answer your initial question, stop saying stupidities, it would help.
IRONIC.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
And again, all of the above is pulled out of thin air. Neither you nor me even know if they have paid staff to begin with.
Yeah, because an official company would have unpaid staff working for one of their subsidiary...

20-16=4. 20% of 20 = 4. I admire that you went to the effort to change the numbers though when literally the only thing it'd achieve is making me wrong. That alone sums you up.
You know, reading isn't enough, you also need to think:
[...] staff, that need to be payed (including all the social charges). [...]
[...] what left enough to pay three guys (or girls) 2,000€/month, [...]

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
Just got the popup as well. I have Ublock, as well several other privacy related extensions that likely blocks ads to some extent as well. There is no avoiding this ad without premium. That said, after I clicked the ad, I didn't have to watch it.

I also don't know if others have figured it out yet, but I haven't downloaded from Gofile in maybe a few days to a week. So, this certainly isn't a limiter but its a requirement.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Just got the popup as well. I have Ublock, as well several other privacy related extensions that likely blocks ads to some extent as well. There is no avoiding this ad without premium. That said, after I clicked the ad, I didn't have to watch it.

I also don't know if others have figured it out yet, but I haven't downloaded from Gofile in maybe a few days to a week. So, this certainly isn't a limiter but its a requirement.
It's probably cookie based, so once peoples "old" cookies time out, the next time they visit they get it.

You can definitely block it with ublock-origin though, just head to your custom filters and toss this in:

! 2023-06-05 https://gofile.io
gofile.io##.p-2.modal-header
gofile.io##.modal-body
gofile.io##.show.modal
gofile.io##.show.modal-backdrop
gofile.io##.modal-open:style(overflow: auto !important)

edit; added fix by tester6445 !

Last edited:

tester6445

Nov 3, 2019
Also going to need to set the overflow to auto so you can scroll.
gofile.io##.modal-open:style(overflow: auto !important)

• Red Heart
Reactions: RPDL

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Nopy had automatic failover, load balancing, and cache servers. Gofile doesn't have cache servers, not sure how good their failover or load balancing is but from what I've seen it leaves a lot to be desired as downtime and slowdowns are frequent. But, Nopy was able to operate smoothly because it was limited access. As soon as you start allowing random users to upload then the cost would skyrocket. So you can't really compare Nopy and Gofile.

According to , before Gofile hid their earnings they were getting around $4 per patron. with 2400 patrons, thats <$10k. However, they've switched to taking payments directly rather than through Patreon, so their total earnings are unknown now. They use a mix of providers, including: OVH, GThost, Servermania, and Moji. Some of these are cost effective, some aren't. Can't comment on their server specs as they aren't public, but they'd definitely be cheaper alternatives which would be fine or even better in some cases than what they're using at the moment.

I don't think its fair to blame them for needing to switch their revenue model. They could be more cost effective, but I can't see anyone getting rich running Gofile, there's just not enough in the budget, and it's better they find a way to survive than shut down for good.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
According to , before Gofile hid their earnings they were getting around $4 per patron. with 2400 patrons, thats <$10k. However, they've switched to taking payments directly rather than through Patreon, so their total earnings are unknown now. They use a mix of providers, including: OVH, GThost, Servermania, and Moji. Some of these are cost effective, some aren't. Can't comment on their server specs as they aren't public, but they'd definitely be cheaper alternatives which would be fine or even better in some cases than what they're using at the moment.

I don't think its fair to blame them for needing to switch their revenue model. They could be more cost effective, but I can't see anyone getting rich running Gofile, there's just not enough in the budget, and it's better they find a way to survive than shut down for good.
Fair points. The one thing I'd add is that if you follow the graph from when the funding was hidden it'd be reasonable to assume it continued to grow at least at the same rate putting them nearer ~15k via patreon.

I dunno, there's probably a bunch of potholes that could have been avoided - like the 8% (i think) that they lose to patreon as one example. There's likely a bunch of ways they could save via infrastructure and providers too like you mentioned. All that's hindsight and speculation though. I think i'd mostly just be bummed out that all the work to get them where they are would be for nothing if it fails and man, that'd kill me if I were them. I probably shouldn't care as much, filehosts come and go and who knows, this mightn't even be an issue for them and they might thrive with ads - what do I know.

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
This may sound silly, but hell, you click one extra button (which equals one extra second of time) to download whatever is full speed with resume. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, well until we slam it to the ground or they get funding.

Sorry, but I found this a very small detail which takes an extra second out of the day to download, you don't even notice it uploading, it's always been slowish regardless.

There are so many worst hosts out there..I can't speak for others but for me, meh :lepew:

Bloo

The Angry Person
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
1686504007743.png

YES, this is a cosmetic filter to remove the pop-up forever (as long as they don't change the below). We all know that clicking Watch Ad does nothing if you have an Adblocker and will allow you to download like usual after, this is literally to remove the pop-up forever.

gofile.io##.show.modal
gofile.io##.show.modal-backdrop

UBO = uBlock Origin, which you should be using if you're on the internet.

Last edited:

The1Rose

Nov 8, 2017
Welp, things have somehow gotten worse with the whole GOFILE ads thing. (At least for me this is happening.) If you click "watch video" it will have something pop up that says "video is loading", if you have adblocker, it never goes away, even if you click on the little x that appears in the top right corner after a while. Video doesn't load either. Started yesterday for me.

Reactions: Afield

VivelaFrance

May 3, 2018
Welp, things have somehow gotten worse with the whole GOFILE ads thing. (At least for me this is happening.) If you click "watch video" it will have something pop up that says "video is loading", if you have adblocker, it never goes away, even if you click on the little x that appears in the top right corner after a while. Video doesn't load either. Started yesterday for me.
Yes they changed it, it's now more agressive enforced.

Yukariin

Oct 16, 2020
does anyone know how likely it is for gofile to not disappear within the next 6 months? i don't mind paying but it's a bit pricy for someone living in a 3rd world country. the 2 year option is a good price for me, but then i somehow doubt this website is still going to be running in 2 years at this rate.

compared to mega, which i doubt would go down since they've been around for a very long time and use proper encryption to make sure the feds don't bother them too much, but their website takes sooo long to load and i can't close the tab until the download is finished, compared to gofile which opens instantly, i click download and it goes very fast and i can close the tab.

for the people that don't like the ads popup, alternatively to the solution by Bloo you can use and simply click it.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
You people use Gofile? I just know it as the host that has already deleted the file >50% of the time I try to download something from there.

VivelaFrance

May 3, 2018
You people use Gofile? I just know it as the host that has already deleted the file >50% of the time I try to download something from there.
It has been the most reliable website of the past 3 years. Downloads are very fast, unlimited and until this recent change no ad annoyances.