GOFILE links forcing ADs?!?

King Dong

Jun 19, 2017
Is GOFILE no longer a reasonable free option do to forcing ads? Is anyone else experiencing this, and feeling a need to look for an alternative?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I have, and I use it. They literally won't let you use the site to download anything unless you watch an ad, or sign up for premium. This is new as of the last 12ish hours.
Weird, I literally just downloaded another game without any issues.

Unless they added a quota like mega and I haven't crossed that limit yet, but I hope not.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Bit lame for a company taking in 20k per month minimum from just patreon to be slamming ads tbh.

Saw this coming when they limited their API a few months ago. Before christmas they'll have daily download limits, mark my words.

For what it's worth, I just tried (with ublock origin) and there was a popup video ad that got auto closed after a fraction of a second.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I have, and I use it. They literally won't let you use the site to download anything unless you watch an ad, or sign up for premium. This is new as of the last 12ish hours.
I just downloaded from GOFILE in my browser without any adblock. I didn't have to click anything extra. Just the download link.

King Dong

Jun 19, 2017

Unless they added a quota like mega and I haven't crossed that limit yet, but I hope not.
Well, I guess that is nice for you. Maybe there is some hidden limit or something. I already feel like I have to work around those for Mega, and PixleDrain...I would hate to have to do the same for GOFILE. The others are so slow I'm literally better off just waiting for Mega/PixleDrain to reset as is. :(

King Dong

Jun 19, 2017
Bit lame for a company taking in 20k per month minimum from just patreon to be slamming ads tbh.

Saw this coming when they limited their API a few months ago. Before christmas they'll have daily download limits, mark my words.

For what it's worth, I just tried (with ublock origin) and there was a popup video ad that got auto closed after a fraction of a second.
Yeah, that seems shitty. I hope they tone down the greed, or see enough lose of use to revert the changes. :(

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
company taking in 20k per month minimum from just patreon
20K per month is inadequate $$$ to cover costs, let alone any payroll. Unless people want it to go the way of NOPY and other hosting sites, and close up shop

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
20K per month is inadequate $$$ to cover costs, let alone any payroll. Unless people want it to go the way of NOPY and other hosting sites, and close up shop
Nopy was one person and topped out at 6k before paypal locked their account.

Gofile might have staff, might even be paid but they're also getting 3-4x more in funding. :WeSmart:

King Dong

Jun 19, 2017
The reality, for me, is if it isn't convenient to use then it serves no purpose. If NOPY was still around, but had limits, and ADs...would it really still be the NOPY you remember? Would you still use it? I wouldn't. So, if the options are a watered down version of a solid site, or no site at all...I would rather not have it at all. This is because if it is no longer a solid option then people will look for one that is, or make one, either way that is better for us users that don't have any premium memberships.

Reactions: Gabaw

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Nopy was one person and topped out at 6k before paypal locked their account.

Gofile might have staff, might even be paid but they're also getting 3-4x more in funding. :WeSmart:
And? Again, server costs as well as the usual business expenses - plus, I'm sure an attorney or two on retainer because of questionable content uploaded by users and having to deal with those complaints/claims/etc ...

Things do not run for free. I wish they did - but there are costs involved with any service. And if a person/people make a little profit -- bully for them. This isn't Musk attempting to make another billion off the masses. This isn't Gates or Bezos. Maybe the person running GOFILE is a millionaire - big deal. Again, bully for them to achieve success.

And yes, if it becomes problematic - they will either change their business model or go under because people won't like how they operate.

I'm a fucking marxist, but even I understand that in this economy there are some things which can't be avoided. We're all tilting at windmills or bitching about a little drizzle when there's a fucking monsoon of gluttony and greed that we're not coming together to actually do something about.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
And? Again, server costs as well as the usual business expenses - plus, I'm sure an attorney or two on retainer because of questionable content uploaded by users and having to deal with those complaints/claims/etc ...

Things do not run for free. I wish they did - but there are costs involved with any service. And if a person/people make a little profit -- bully for them. This isn't Musk attempting to make another billion off the masses. This isn't Gates or Bezos. Maybe the person running GOFILE is a millionaire - big deal. Again, bully for them to achieve success.

And yes, if it becomes problematic - they will either change their business model or go under because people won't like how they operate.

I'm a fucking marxist, but even I understand that in this economy there are some things which can't be avoided. We're all tilting at windmills or bitching about a little drizzle when there's a fucking monsoon of gluttony and greed that we're not coming together to actually do something about.
Okay fella, not sure what side of the bed you woke up on today but do yourself a favour and get out the other side tomorrow.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Okay fella, not sure what side of the bed you woke up on today but do yourself a favour and get out the other side tomorrow.
You two are the ones complaining about a little dust on the mantel when there are bigger worries and I should be the one to wake up on the other side of the bed? Sure Jan.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
You two are the ones complaining about a little dust on the mantel when there are bigger worries and I should be the one to wake up on the other side of the bed? Sure Jan.
Criticism not allowed, got it.

:rolleyes:

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
For me it works fine. I have goflie.io trusted while the rest blocked. I have the pop up ad that closes immediately and the error code BUT the download link works just fine.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Screenshot from 2023-06-06 01-28-24.png

Got a screenshot, this is with an adblocker too. You gotta block 3-4 different elements to remove it.

Before anyone asks, I do have a paid account - I just don't login to it on this browser.

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
Yup, started appearing. But when i click watch, it just vanishes and can download. Even if i disable my blockers altogether, the only thing happens is a single add visible above the download section and that's it.

But.. just to answer the OP. Calling this 'unreasonable' is nonsense.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Just downloaded 2 500mg files using brave browser and never got any ads. Not sure if it's a thing with gofile but are you sure the accounts you are downloading files from haven't been given the option to monetize their account? Not even sure if it's an option there but might explain why some don't get ads and others do.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
GoFile is a subsidiary of Wojtek, so yeah it have a staff, that need to be payed (including all the social charges). And who say staff also say a place where they works. Do you have the starts of a clue how fucking high it cost to be located in the Champs Elysee (Paris, France) ? But well, I guess that it's Wojtek itself that pay for that.

They make US$ 20K/month ? Well, 10,000 for the hosting (they have more redundancy that NOPY had), what left enough to pay three guys (or girls) 2,000€/month, what is the expected salary for what they are doing.

So yeah, not really something astounding.