Graphics card question

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Hi guru's. My current card is a 1050Ti 4gb, I am looking at better cards. There are a few, well one necessity, it has to be from this one site. In Australia and slowly spreading to other parts of the world is a thing called afterpay, there are not many computer stores that use it, but this one does, they are really good, I have live chatted with them regarding the Ram I bought from them. I have to use afterpay as I don't have a grand lying around, and if I did the other half would shoot me if I used it for any computer related stuff. On paper this looks good, but is it.

Reactions: whereislotion

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
It's an okay card.
It's basically an upgraded version of 1070 (if not countering in gaming)
And I used 1070 from 0.01 to 0.03 of my game. So it will do its job fine, imo.

1070 has 1,920 Cuda cores while 2070 has 2304. So a small speed increase. Then there is the factor of rtx cores which is said to be faster (there are some benchmarks on the daz forums that confirm rtx to be faster in the beta version of daz). Daz do not probably support rtx yet tho.

It only has 8gb of vram compared to the ti's 11gb which makes a huge difference once you start adding a lot of stuff to the scene.

But compared to your card which has 768 cuda cores and only 4gb, you will get a nice speed increase and more breathing room for creating scenes with the extra 4gb.

Overall, the 2070 is a good mid-end card for rendering (not countering in the beast animation comps with 4xti's comps.)

In the future, I highly recommend getting a card with 11gb vram. As, personally, I think that having the ability to have more wiggle room for scene creating is better than that the scene being done 10-30 min faster.
But sadly 11gb cards are expensive.

Remember, you can still use your current card alongside your potential new card to squeeze in those 768 cuda cores for a speed increase. Just be wary- once the scene takes more than the 4gb vram the card has it will only use the card with 4gb+ vrams.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Ahh cheers, I was wondering why it wasn't very expensive compared to some others I have looked at. Numbers confuse me, they make no sense sometimes. If I'm going to upgrade I want to do it properly, I shuffle along pretty good with the current card (with a lot of cheating mind you), so any upgrade has be worth while.

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
I was gonna suggest mightyape since their prices are quite good and they also have afterpay, but unfortunately they don’t sell gpu’s. So maybe ram city is your only option if you absolutely must use afterpay. Keep in mind, because they offer that service, you’re paying a $120 premium on the card since I’ve seen the same one on pccasegear for $750.

If I were you, I’d probably just try to find a similar performing used card on eBay. I found a 1070 ti on there for $400 a few months ago which I think was a pretty good deal.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I suggest you to buy a GTX 1660 Ti. RTX cards are not useful at the moment for rendering as iray doesn't use RT cores. Nvidia claims it will drastically improve the rendering performance when RT cores are used for rendering purpose, but I have yet to see it in daz3d. Get a gtx 1660 ti for the time being.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Yesterday we discussed the graphics pipeline of the RTX cards on this thread. https://f95zone.to/threads/ray-tracing-on-gtx.28653/#post-1799615
RTX has to be implemented by the software developer by using Nvidia's SDK. Even then it isn't full blown ray tracing.
Rather than me repeat everything here. You should check out that thread.
I wasn't talking about 3d video games here, but rendering aspect of the graphics cards, as he is a visual novel developer. For 3d video games like battlefield, tomb raider RTX cards are useful, as long as you have RTX 2070 and above, but for rendering purpose still GTX cards are best in terms of price to performance ratio.

Reactions: recreation

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
As a general rule of thumb... Especially if you're planning to use the card for rendering...

... Figure out how much money you want to spend and buy the card with the most amount of VRAM for that money.
Cuda cores and tech are generally proportional to money, so whatever you spend will be about right as far as performance.
Edit: I mean, don't go mad on VRAM. It's a balancing act. But there's enough good advice already in this thread to help you make your own call.

However, as other have hinted at within this thread, programs like Daz3D will use your graphics VRAM to it's max... as soon as you exceed the VRAM in a single card setup, it will drop back to CPU rendering.
There are tricks and tips to simplify your scene to get it back within the card's VRAM limits again. Or using spot rendering and post processing to merge multiple renders together... But generally speaking, the VRAM is going to be your hard limit.

And while using multiple graphics cards is also an option... rendering will only use both cards if the scene fits within the VRAM of each card. (If you have an 8GB card and an 4GB card... that's not 12GB... it's 4. Because as soon as you reach 4.01... it will only use the 8GB card).

If, however, rendering isn't your thing... then VRAM matters slightly less than tech... since most games will benefit from higher FPS and will be optimized for players who don't have hugely expensive cards.

Whilst I haven't personally looked at the 20xx series of Nvidia cards... I have to assume that by the time RTX becomes commonplace for gaming... Nivida will have released a couple of more RTX cards... probably cheaper, probably faster.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
As a general rule of thumb... Especially if you're planning to use the card for rendering...

... Figure out how much money you want to spend and buy the card with the most amount of VRAM for that money.
Cuda cores and tech are generally proportional to money, so whatever you spend will be about right as far as performance.

However, as other have hinted at within this thread, programs like Daz3D will use your graphics VRAM to it's max... as soon as you exceed the VRAM in a single card setup, it will drop back to CPU rendering.
There are tricks and tips to simplify your scene to get it back within the card's VRAM limits again. Or using spot rendering and post processing to merge multiple renders together... But generally speaking, the VRAM is going to be your hard limit.

And while using multiple graphics cards is also an option... rendering will only use both cards if the scene fits within the VRAM of each card. (If you have an 8GB card and an 4GB card... that's not 12GB... it's 4. Because as soon as you reach 4.01... it will only use the 8GB card).

If, however, rendering isn't your thing... then VRAM matters slightly less than tech... since most games will benefit from higher FPS and will be optimized for players who don't have hugely expensive cards.

Whilst I haven't personally looked at the 20xx series of Nvidia cards... I have to assume that by the time RTX becomes commonplace for gaming... Nivida will have released a couple of more RTX cards... probably cheaper, probably faster.
VRAM problem arises when the textures are not properly optimized. nowadays some assets use 4k, very high detailed textures. there is no point of having such large textures if your target is 1080p or 720p images. If they are optimized properly 6 to 8GB VRAM is more than enough. However, if you target beyond 1080p then having 8GB and above is necessary.

BeCe

Purveyor of Blood and Boobs
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
Mini-Hijack for my own card question: How much better are Quadros for rendering? Are we talking leaps and bounds ahead of RTX/GTX or like 10-20% ahead?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Mini-Hijack for my own card question: How much better are Quadros for rendering? Are we talking leaps and bounds ahead of RTX/GTX or like 10-20% ahead?
Not worth it in any way for what we're doing. Using octane benchmark for this example, a 2080ti receives a render score of about 300. A Quadro gv100 scores at 350.

15% performance increase for 12x the cost.

Reactions: BeCe

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I'm using a GTX 1050Ti (4GB) as well and am generally pretty happy with it. I basically picked it because it was the best card I could find that was passively cooled. It drives me nuts if I ever hear a fan. Unfortunately it may be awhile before we see anything bigger and better than the 1050Ti that is passively cooled so you'll just have to live with the noise if you upgrade.

From a performance standpoint I think memory is the biggest issue to consider when upgrading from the 1050Ti. For most games my frame rate is fine with all the bells and whistles enabled until I get one that is memory intensive enough to exceed 4GB of Vram and then my frame rate can potentially drop into the low single digits, which is basically unplayable. For rendering you'll have similar issues with having to render scenes entirely with your CPU unless you can get the VRAM utilization under 4GB. So I would say restrict yourself to something with at least 8GB of vram and then pick based on your budget as far as speed. If you're doing a lot of rendering I would seriously consider something with more than 10GB of Vram just to maximize the amount of your rendering that you can do with your GPU.

Now if only Nvidia would go through another process shrink or something so they can give me a passively cooled 1080Ti or equivalent...

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I'm using a GTX 1050Ti (4GB) as well and am generally pretty happy with it. I basically picked it because it was the best card I could find that was passively cooled. It drives me nuts if I ever hear a fan. Unfortunately it may be awhile before we see anything bigger and better than the 1050Ti that is passively cooled so you'll just have to live with the noise if you upgrade.

From a performance standpoint I think memory is the biggest issue to consider when upgrading from the 1050Ti. For most games my frame rate is fine with all the bells and whistles enabled until I get one that is memory intensive enough to exceed 4GB of Vram and then my frame rate can potentially drop into the low single digits, which is basically unplayable. For rendering you'll have similar issues with having to render scenes entirely with your CPU unless you can get the VRAM utilization under 4GB. So I would say restrict yourself to something with at least 8GB of vram and then pick based on your budget as far as speed. If you're doing a lot of rendering I would seriously consider something with more than 10GB of Vram just to maximize the amount of your rendering that you can do with your GPU.

Now if only Nvidia would go through another process shrink or something so they can give me a passively cooled 1080Ti or equivalent...

One option is to buy some nice quality in ear monitors. There's some great ones with pretty good passive noise cancellation so you don't even have to crank up the volume and damage your ears.

Now that I have two blower gpus running at 80%+ fan, I sold my speakers and only use iems. Pretty much don't hear the fans anymore.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
One option is to buy some nice quality in ear monitors. There's some great ones with pretty good passive noise cancellation so you don't even have to crank up the volume and damage your ears.

Now that I have two blower gpus running at 80%+ fan, I sold my speakers and only use iems. Pretty much don't hear the fans anymore.
I thought about that, but have had bad luck in general with headphones. Either my ears get sore or I forget to take them off like a dumbass when I get up to go do something and I rip the cord out. I hate to think how many I've destroyed that way.

Now if I can find a comfortable pair of wireless ones that sound good and have a battery life of at least 12-16 hours then maybe things would be different. I guess my other option would be to just crank up the music and/or game volume when I'm on the computer. That wasn't an option due to noise complaints from my neighbors at my last place, but this one has really good sound insulation.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I thought about that, but have had bad luck in general with headphones. Either my ears get sore or I forget to take them off like a dumbass when I get up to go do something and I rip the cord out. I hate to think how many I've destroyed that way.

Now if I can find a comfortable pair of wireless ones that sound good and have a battery life of at least 12-16 hours then maybe things would be different. I guess my other option would be to just crank up the music and/or game volume when I'm on the computer. That wasn't an option due to noise complaints from my neighbors at my last place, but this one has really good sound insulation.

There's some ok wireless ones out there but they will never sound as good as wired, which may not be a big deal for you so at least there's options. Good thing with higher end is is that the cords are detachable so you can always replace it for $10.

There's a huge Chinese market on Alibaba for pretty decent ones for around $20 you can try to see if t the form is comfortable. I bought a pair for $140 and they are so comfy I can wear them all day.

Regular headphones can get hot and uncomfy after long use.

Just something to keep in mind. There's also water cooling for God's but I don't think it's completely silent since you'll still hear the water pump.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Guys If you want to talk about good headphones. Talk about Sennheiser, Audio-technica and beyerdynamics And of course. Nothing wireless.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Hi guru's. My current card is a 1050Ti 4gb, I am looking at better cards. There are a few, well one necessity, it has to be from this one site. In Australia and slowly spreading to other parts of the world is a thing called afterpay, there are not many computer stores that use it, but this one does, they are really good, I have live chatted with them regarding the Ram I bought from them. I have to use afterpay as I don't have a grand lying around, and if I did the other half would shoot me if I used it for any computer related stuff. On paper this looks good, but is it.

You looking for card for playing or for rendering?
If for playing buy 2070 if for rendering buy second hand 1080ti.

Reactions: Porcus Dev