Graphics card question

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Just rendering, i don't like buying 2nd hand PC parts, the computer itself is not even 12 months old yet, I bought it with tax money last year, I'll get a card this tax year if I have too.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Just rendering, i don't like buying 2nd hand PC parts, the computer itself is not even 12 months old yet, I bought it with tax money last year, I'll get a card this tax year if I have too.
Do for rendering is best 2 choices 1080ti and 2080ti. But 1080ti I think you cannot buy new this days. 2070 Is not bad card, but that 2 is better. I'm using normaly second hand parts in Pc's without problems.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
All the 1080's disappeared off my go to site in the last few months, was wondering why, have they stopped making them?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Well puts me in a spot, the 2080ti is so far out of my ballpark its not funny, my heap of shit car is not worth much more than one of them. Might have to buy a used one.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Well puts me in a spot, the 2080ti is so far out of my ballpark its not funny, my heap of shit car is not worth much more than one of them. Might have to buy a used one.
Think about it. 1080ti is really a good choice and used costs about 500-600USd +- Mostly still in warranty. It is good choice. Of course If you don't have much money used 1080 or new 2070 is not bad choice too. All of that cards will be X times better than card you have now.

Reactions: mickydoo

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
get a rtx 2070. it's better than 1080, and have 8GB VRAM. rtx 2060 is comparable to 1080.

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
You looking for card for playing or for rendering?
If for playing buy 2070 if for rendering buy second hand 1080ti.
What would you say gives the most bang for the buck?
It is my understanding that the 1070 is close enough to the 1080 but much cheaper. So it is a better deal. But I know nothing.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
What would you say gives the most bang for the buck?
It is my understanding that the 1070 is close enough to the 1080 but much cheaper. So it is a better deal. But I know nothing.
8GB cards
1070ti

11GB Cards
1080Ti
2080Ti

If cards have almost save performance get always that one with bigger memory because if your render overflow this memory you must render with CPU and GPU with superb performance do nothing.

performace 1070+15%1070ti+10%1080+20%2070+10%1080ti+10%2080+30%2080ti
Performance in iRay OptiX and blender renderers

V-Ray, Octane and others have much beter performance for RTX cards.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
just asking: why geforce graphic cars and not AMD?

amd has quite some good GCs now (that are cheaper, at least in my country) like the vega 64 or the radeon VII (however, checking out your website i ask myself how asutralians can even afford to buy a fucking PC... the prices are mindblowing!).

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017

amd has quite some good GCs now like the vega 64 or the radeon VII (however, checking out your website i ask myself how asutralians can even afford to buy a fucking PC... the prices are mindblowing!).
Cuse at 50% of software they not have support. Or working bad or with problems.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
Cuse at 50% of software they not have support. Or working bad or with problems.
you must be shitting me, for real? feels like nvidia has such a whopping monopole that we will pay a lot more for their cards in the near future than we already have to. :confused:

quite a shame actually. the radeon VII is said to be an excellent choice for content creation. but if rendering softwares are only optimized for nvidia, ...well, fuck.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
you must be shitting me, for real? feels like nvidia has such a whopping monopole that we will pay a lot more for their cards in the near future than we already have to. :confused:
No I'm not. What you expect Nvidia do for profesional use from it's begining and thay have working ecosystem with Card and software support, spending tons of money in development anddevelopment support. AMD have only cards and just before 2 years they released finally their first Ray renderer. The rest is classical AMD style. Here is our card It have all that things you want. "Hey AMD that card not working in this SW" Shitty developers, use another....

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016

amd has quite some good GCs now (that are cheaper, at least in my country) like the vega 64 or the radeon VII (however, checking out your website i ask myself how asutralians can even afford to buy a fucking PC... the prices are mindblowing!).
gigabyte, zotac brands produce cheaper graphics cards than Asus, MSI, evga ones.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
gigabyte, zotac brands produce cheaper graphics cards than Asus, MSI, evga ones.
not in my country.
prices taken from geizhals.at:
rx vega 64: 400 around euros
radeon VII: 700 around euros
nvidia 2070: 500 upwards
nvidia 2080: 820 upwards

same thing with amd processors and the ones from intel. hence the reason why ask (since the OP seems to be a bit low on budget. however, 'cause he uses that australian website with that ludicrous price tags amd stuff there is almost as expensive, i know i know -but it doesn't hurt to think about the other brands for once too right?). don't wanna start a god damn green vs. red faction war or something.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
not in my country.
prices taken from geizhals.at:
rx vega 64: 400 around euros
radeon VII: 700 around euros
nvidia 2070: 500 upwards
nvidia 2080: 820 upwards

same thing with amd processors and the ones from intel. hence the reason why ask (since the OP seems to be a bit low on budget. however, 'cause he uses that australian website with that ludicrous price tags amd stuff there is almost as expensive, i know i know -but it doesn't hurt to think about the other brands for once too right?). don't wanna start a god damn green vs. red faction war or something.
You are right. they have nice prices. but ......

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
You are right. they have nice prices. but ......
well, that's the biggest reason why one would choose AMD, the price. the OP said that he isn't swimming in money, and for a lil' cut in speed he would get a fairly cheaper CG. but if his rendering software or whatever he uses doesn't support AMD, talking about AMD is out of the question anyway. it's just a shame, the radeon VII would actually fit nicely as it uses 16 vram and is made specifically for creating stuff and not so much for playing games (linus tech also recommended it for that use - if you listen to his advice that is).

that being said i would also recommend a 1080 over the others (depending on how expensive it is to get in your country). 1060 and 1070 are out of the question (due to ram and 1070 being a fucking moneygrab). the 2070... it's sooo expensive, good god. 800 bucks for it, that's 300 bucks more than in my country (and we are already damn expensive here). the thing is, it uses GDDR6 giving it a near 50% better bandwidth memory and the architecture is newer while also being almost as good as the gtx 1080 in terms of texture units (144 vs. 160). but fuck, that price tag... guess at the end of the day it's up to OP if he can afford the 2070 and wants to be safe than sorry. low money => 1080; safe pick => 2070

ps: that's ofc. just my personal uneducated opinion ^^.

Reactions: Joraell

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Australia is bad for prices, it's a minimum wage thing I believe. In the US its something like 7 or 8 bucks an hour, here it is 18 bucks, but all that does is make everything more expensive, food, rent, electricity, our electricity is like the highest in the world, so international companies set a price they think we can pay, its bullshit.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I'm still holding out hope that by the time I'm ready to upgrade, the next tier of cards will come out and there will be some sort of mid range card with 8GB of Vram. I'm fine with the performance of my 1050, I just want to double or triple the memory on it.

If not I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay through the nose for one of the 11GB cards. Unfortunately right now Nvidia doesn't really have any mid range cards. It's either low end or high end with pretty much no options in between. I guess that's how you maximize profits though.