Graphics card question

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I'm still holding out hope that by the time I'm ready to upgrade, the next tier of cards will come out and there will be some sort of mid range card with 8GB of Vram. I'm fine with the performance of my 1050, I just want to double or triple the memory on it.

If not I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay through the nose for one of the 11GB cards. Unfortunately right now Nvidia doesn't really have any mid range cards. It's either low end or high end with pretty much no options in between. I guess that's how you maximize profits though.
Nvidia have 16** series now 1660ti and 1660 and 1650 is on the way.

215303j

I have to use afterpay as I don't have a grand lying around, and if I did the other half would shoot me if I used it for any computer related stuff.
You know that in the end you will be paying anyway, right? ;) Maybe you have to look at your priorities again. Maybe your present graphics card is not *that* old / bad... Sorry I come off as patronising, just giving my opinion...

so international companies set a price they think we can pay, its bullshit.
I think that's called "capitalism" ;)

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Australia is bad for prices, it's a minimum wage thing I believe. In the US its something like 7 or 8 bucks an hour, here it is 18 bucks, but all that does is make everything more expensive, food, rent, electricity, our electricity is like the highest in the world, so international companies set a price they think we can pay, its bullshit.
The reason for the hardware to be expensive in Australia is not just the distance from there to China, but also the number of buyers, and profit they make are low. In Oceania, mostly people from Australia, New Zealand can afford expensive hardware as they have a good purchasing power, but they totally have like less than 25 millions of people, whereas US has over 300 millions, and Europe has over 700 millions. on top of that only a fraction of people actually buy computer hardware. so distributors can't reduce the profit margin when the number of buyers/profit is low, this makes them to increase the profit margin to distribute, and therefore the consumer has to pay extra for that as well. This is why computer hardware prices are expensive in both Australia, and New Zealand.

Reactions: mickydoo

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
You know that in the end you will be paying anyway, right? ;) Maybe you have to look at your priorities again. Maybe your present graphics card is not *that* old / bad... Sorry I come off as patronising, just giving my opinion...

I think that's called "capitalism" ;)
Don't get me wrong the card suffices, it has limitations though. My animations are the same 10 - 20 frames just looped in movie software, I can't render a threesome, it don't like more than two characters in the scene, where there is I have spot rendered them which works but annoys me.

TranceTitan

Aug 22, 2018
I have the same GPU as a friend of mine help me build my PC. It's a pretty nice card for some mid to mid high tier gaming but I've been looking into the RTX 1660 as my next upgrade.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I have the same GPU as a friend of mine help me build my PC. It's a pretty nice card for some mid to mid high tier gaming but I've been looking into the RTX 1660 as my next upgrade.
GTX 1660. It's not a RTX card.

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
anyone owns rtx 2060? any thoughts about performance and how is she behaving with Daz?