[Guide] Time for Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod

Sep 4, 2019
Edited 12-17-2021

This is a guide to a pretty difficult modded reboot called "Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod" by Jman. To hopefully save your suffering and maybe introduce you to the game, I created this guide. Take note that I didn't play the "Time for Dragons" reboot by eliot so I am only speaking from the perspective of a person who tried "Defiler Wings"

WTF is this Game?
You go around as a dragon raping and pillaging around the countryside. Has management, battles, and random stolen art from the internet which is decent for a free game.

Game History
This guide is based on the modification of another modification of a game called "Defiler Wings" by "The Old Huntsman." The content of the original game is quite lacking, thus an "eliont" created a reboot of "Defiler Wings" called "Time For Dragons" which has been completed. However, this guide will not be focusing on either of those games since "Defiler Wings" is pretty easy while I haven't played "Time For Dragons" before. The game of focus will be on the modded version of the "Time for Dragons" reboot which is the "Deranged Dragon Mod" by Jman.

Differences
If you played any of the previous versions of this game, the mod is going to be different. You play as one dragon, not multiple like in the original game. The art and map mechanics are also different from both predecessors of the game. The art includes anime/cartoon type drawings instead of the mix in the previous version of this game. The difficulty of this game is also really high.

Difficulty Settings
It is recommended that if you don't want to spend a week starting over again and again, I suggest you take the easiest route available in the game.
Easy - Choose easy. If you choose normal, don't come crying back when you keep dying.
Start with the largest dragon size - If you want to choose any smaller sizes, expect to spend time on grinding your size and abilities.
I recommend to choose these settings unless you have a very extensive day by day game plan and have played through the game once already. This guide will assume you chose the settings above.

Rationale for Choosing this Difficulty
You might have been like me and thought that if I played through the game on normal, you will feel more accomplished if you manage to do so. However, normal is very challenging. There are three 'walls' in the game which makes you start over completely. The first are the thieves. Thieves are really annoying and will appear when you have high infamy, a ton of gold, or too much time has passed. They will keep stealing your gold unless your lair is equipped to deal with them. Knights are even worse as they will go out to try and kill you. The worse part is that the longer they stay alive, the stronger they become and equally become very difficult to kill. Furthermore, the prices to kill thieves and rob knights through smuggler's isle increase as they get stronger. Not to mention the third wall which will make you restart, which is the infernal seals. If you are constantly on the run from knights and thieves, you may have to keep rebuilding alters to raise the seals, making it really hard to sustain. Unless you have played the game before and are confident in your abilities, AVOID NORMAL.

Basics
1614129108493.png

This is the map interface.
Countryside - This area is one of the most frequent places you will be visiting in the beginning. Here, you will start just stealing sheep, pigs, or cows from the flock in the beginning. Soon, you will be raiding villages to get jewelry and virgins to sell in the human capital and sacrifice in the alter.
Trade Routes - Typically for raiding caravans for gold and silver coins. You can also stumble upon forts and other events.
Dragonia - Where you meet the dark lady and can train in addition to supplying the army of darkness with gold coins or minions from impregnating women.
Wild Tribes - Useful for hiring goblins or gremlins in the early game, while also being able to trade with new tribes being formed later in the game.
Alven Forest - A place you will frequent often for wild deer, foxes, or rabbits. Also has the Alvens (elfs). The Alvens have their own base that can be found through buying information at the smugglers isle.
Witch Coven - Will have the witch available after visiting it once. You need at least 1 mana to visit her.
Human Capital - The main human city with a jewelers shop, various districts, as well as a brothel where you can buy virgins and get the special Dark Alven.
Sea - Accessible only with the blue head and when you have 3? 5? Mana to breathe underwater. You can get random tuna, fight sharks, as well as get mermaids and other encounters.
Smugglers' Isle - Pretty important for looking at the situations with pursuing knights or thieves. Can be obtained after finishing the second quest from the witch.
Darkwood - A dangerous place where you can encounter beastmen and stuff. Wouldn't recommend entering until you have tons of free stamina.
Mountains - Useful for encountering the slave trader and making friends. Mostly hunting and useful place for leveling your companions or minions. There are also mines for precious metals and jewels for jewel crafting.
Sky - Can only enter if you can fly, along with any companions you bring along. Useful for random encounters across the map.

How to Survive
I won't go over every nook and cranny of the game since there are descriptions available in the game. However, there are a couple of things you should do first when starting a new game.

Get Smugglers Isle
Since the witch is available from the start of the game, try finish her quests while you fill up your satiety. Not only will you have access to the island in the beginning, but can also use fireball in battles.

Keep Infamy Low
Keeping infamy low is one way of allowing yourself more time to add more skills and increase dragon sizes before thieves or knights form. For me, I kept my infamy at 5 or below. This is until a thief goes after your treasure, then go ahead and finish the Dark lady's quest to reach 10 infamy to get more experience. I would recommend to keep infamy below 10 so that knights do not form for a long time. So by the time knights form, you should have ample amounts of gold and upgrades to kill them. To keep infamy low, you can either sleep, or run away from battles (while taking health damage) to lower infamy. Taking damage from running away from battles is worth the cost of restoring if it means delaying the formation of the knights or thieves due to high infamy.

Preserving Infernal Seals
If there is one thing to keep track of, its the value of the infernal seals. And this is because its very expensive to maintain. Sacrificing a virgin peasant will only restore maybe 4 to 8 of the infernal seals. Plus, there is a cooldown timer for the alter, thus maintaining the seals above 0 is important. Notably, it falls faster when your infamy is higher while also killing many human patrols. The reason behind this is because humans will try and summon more demons in fear of the dragon, thus weakening the infernal seals which hold the demon army back. Once it reaches zero, powerful enemies appear, making the game unplayable. Wouldn't recommend trying to see what happens.

Killing the Knights Early
Killing the knights who eventually come after you will be extremely important in the long run. From experience, once they form, let them find your lair as soon as possible, and kill them. This is because they amass skills and equipment after a certain amount of time which make knights really hard to kill. You can make their equipment weaker by sending robbers through smugglers' isle, but skills stay with them. So its recommended that any new knights are killed immediately unless you are fond of abandoning lairs every few times you sleep (it gets annoying). If you follow the previous advice, then you should be strong enough to kill the knights.

Form Squads from Unique Characters
Getting decent minions will be pretty difficult until later in the game, thus I usually prefer to set strong captured heroines as companions to help fight. If you frequent the Alven forest, then getting one or two Oni will be pretty easy. Plus, this should help kill the knights faster.
1614131801444.png

Save Unique Characters
To my knowledge, there is only one unique character that is impossible to get once they dye from birthing or battle. This character is the Dark Alven character, obtained from the Brothel in the city marketplace. To my knowledge, she is only available to buy at the brothel once, so if you want to keep her alive, be sure to get her later when you have the birth hatchery to ensure she doesn't die when giving birth.

This is all I have. Hopefully you won't spend hours trying over and over again like I did. Anyways, here is the link to the game if needed along with its predecessors.

Game for Guide:
https://f95zone.to/threads/time-for-dragons-defiler-wings-deranged-dragon-mod-29-07-2020-jman.57942/
Reboot
https://f95zone.to/threads/time-for-dragons-v1-1-1-eliont.38319/
Original Game
https://f95zone.to/threads/defiler-wings-v1-4-1-the-old-huntsman.781/

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Wow, that's a pretty cool guide!

Easy difficulty is indeed less annoying in the beginning, but the game becomes lenient enough towards the end that you might want to use a higher difficulty to keep things interesting.

Some notes:
  • Trade routes is also the most accessible way to get proper noble maidens for breeding and sacrificing. As noted, peasants don't quite cut it.
  • You can and should build multiple altars to alleviate the monthly cooldowns.
  • Mountains are also the place to get raw materials for crafting, which has pretty good returns at higher levels.
  • Players are rather divided about blue heads and the sea, some preferring it for the easy food, robust mermaids who take abuse better and are more solid as recruits, and the mana-yielding sharks. Others, like the guide author, think blue heads aren't that good.
  • People have beaten the big Demon without too much trouble, and that gets you a special ending. Maybe not as doable on higher difficulties, though.
  • As far as I recall, buying the information about elves/dwarves just depends on gold, no quests needed.
  • I am sad to see that all-girl combat teams are still too viable. I don't know if it's an artifact of easy difficulty, but I feel the need to do something about it... :devilish:

Last edited:

camistrie

Mar 6, 2019
Thanks for the guide.

How can I obtain the higher level lair buildings? I'm stuck at green hatchery and altar. I have multiple eggs >5 strength but no way to hatch them, hitting a wall in terms of enemy difficulty...

Is it based on lair quality? Or evolution/size?

Reactions: Animalsfan5698
Sep 4, 2019
Thanks for the guide.

How can I obtain the higher level lair buildings? I'm stuck at green hatchery and altar. I have multiple eggs >5 strength but no way to hatch them, hitting a wall in terms of enemy difficulty...

Is it based on lair quality? Or evolution/size?
You get them by finishing the base upgrade quests from the dark lady. Or alternatively, you capture a base with hatcheries that you didn't have before like the ice citadel, dwarf fortress, or Alven base.

Yuriski

Dec 26, 2017
I have a question regarding the different damage types:

Do you only get them when you have > 100% of that damage type? Is it depended on the resistences of the enemies?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Do you only get them when you have > 100% of that damage type? Is it depended on the resistences of the enemies?
No, under 100% just means you do less of that type of damage. Depending on enemy resistances, it may still be better than '100%' damage. Or not. E.g. any kind of acid, ice or lightning damage is better against Dwarven Champions than just trying to bash their heads in or blast them with fire. But <50% fire against Dwarven Guards isn't better than squashing them, so the game usually picks that.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Stamina. I would appreciate you telling me (in the main mod thread) where you're still seeing actions. I thought I had eliminated that discrepancy.

Corranda326

Dec 7, 2020
I am very confused on how to get Mana the witch just keeps telling me that I am too impatient and that I need to calm down.

Zalzany

Apr 19, 2017
I am very confused on how to get Mana the witch just keeps telling me that I am too impatient and that I need to calm down.
Your to angy kill things or eat, till you are Calm, its stated under how fed you are how annoyed you are you got to be calm to learn magic.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
That got resolved in the main thread, and was most likely an issue of not using the hotfix.

Skald359

Oct 13, 2018
Does pride/shame have any mechanical effect? I'm considering managing smol dragon infamy by running away a lot, but I don't want it to wreck me somehow...

SkyrimLover43

Aug 2, 2023
I have the Green Hatchery, but I cannot figure out how to use it. I have a lot of 1/1, 2/2, and 3/3 eggs. Can anyone help me by telling me how to use the Hatchery?