3.90 star(s) 22 Votes

Havenless_

Oct 12, 2020
The only thing I don't like is the typical bitchy sister who seems to hate you just for existing. I'm pretty tired of those tropes. Hopefully it won't last that long. Makes up for it with the other two sisters being extremely nice.

Oh, and I love the mom's look. Always nice to see a proper MILF.

And I don't know if it's been commented on before but it would be nice to change the color of the character names. It's a bit confusing. Everything else is looking pretty damn fun.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
The only thing I don't like is the typical bitchy sister who seems to hate you just for existing. I'm pretty tired of those tropes. Hopefully it won't last that long. Makes up for it with the other two sisters being extremely nice.

Oh, and I love the mom's look. Always nice to see a proper MILF.

And I don't know if it's been commented on before but it would be nice to change the color of the character names. It's a bit confusing. Everything else is looking pretty damn fun.
thankfully this game isn't one where the bitchy sister is one im in interested. Sure i'll play her path eventually but for me the other 2 sisters are cuter and hotter and just feels like much better characters so far.

Reactions: Maviarab

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
JoyFI Games Not sure if this was brought up but it looks like one Johanna's variable is not set correctly:

Code:
            MC "Please take your seats for dinner." with Dissolve(.1)
            $ Johanna__points = update_points(Johanna_romance_points, +1)
            if persistent.notify_consequences:
                play sound "sfx/achievementnotify.mp3"
                $ renpy.notify(persistent.stepmom_name.capitalize() + " loved that.\n+1\nRomance " + str(Johanna_romance_points) + "/100")
            pass
When refusing the RPS game I believe.

Thanks for providing this. I noticed a few bugs: Johanna still says "loved that" in a notification when she is given -1 romance point, and I completely overlooked adding an if and else statement for when you call her by her role or her name. These issues have been fixed in the upcoming language update, along with some missing translation strings.

However, I completely missed the bug you just pointed out.

In 0.2.2:
Code:
$ Johanna__points = update_points(Johanna_romance_points, +1)

It should be:
Code:
$ Johanna_romance_points = update_points(Johanna_romance_points, +1)

In the upcoming version 0.2.3, it will look like this:
Code:
            MC "Please take your seats for dinner." with Dissolve(.1)

$ Johanna_romance_points = update_points(Johanna_romance_points, +1)
            if persistent.notify_consequences:
                play sound "sfx/achievementnotify.mp3"
                if persistent.call_stepmom:
                    $ renpy.notify(_("{name} loved that.\n+1\nRomance {points}/100").format(name=persistent.stepmom_name.capitalize(), points=Johanna_romance_points))
                else:
                    $ renpy.notify(_("{name} loved that.\n+1\nRomance {points}/100").format(name=persistent.Johanna_name, points=Johanna_romance_points))

Last edited:

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
I agree. In the future, I plan to add a feature that allows you to customize each character's text color in the Residents & Relations screen.

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
Thanks to feedback I updated my walkthrough mod with larger font sizes for improved legibility.

Also took the opportunity to add a feature I always wanted in these walkthroughs. An optional pointer at a click of button to point out the location of imagemap based unlockables. This will hopefully help players better locate those unlockables.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

EDIT:
Went ahead and added limited ability to scale the walkthrough font sizes. Updated the above pic with new screenshot showing the feature too.

Mod Post:
Hardenville Walkthrough |

Last edited:

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
JoyFI Games At the end of Episode 1 after clicking on the main menu button and the looking for translators screen the game restarts the episode instead of going to the main menu.

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
JoyFI Games At the end of Episode 1 after clicking on the main menu button and the looking for translators screen the game restarts the episode instead of going to the main menu.
Thanks for reporting this issue. The bug has been fixed in the upcoming version 0.2.3. The fix involved removing the "return" from the label play_ep1_intro within the video.rpy file.

OLD:

Code:
label play_ep1_intro:
    play music "music/Episode 1/Episode1Intro_Music.mp3" noloop
    play ambient "sfx/Episode 1/Episode1Intro_Ambient.mp3" noloop
    show screen ep1_intro_video_screen
    voice "voice/Episode 1/Episode1Intro_Voice.mp3"

$ renpy.pause(initial_delay + sum(subtitle_durations) + 1)
    return

NEW:
Code:
label play_ep1_intro:
    play music "music/Episode 1/Episode1Intro_Music.mp3" noloop
    play ambient "sfx/Episode 1/Episode1Intro_Ambient.mp3" noloop
    show screen ep1_intro_video_screen
    voice "voice/Episode 1/Episode1Intro_Voice.mp3"

$ renpy.pause(initial_delay + sum(subtitle_durations) + 1)

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
The last 2 pictures in the gallery did not unlock either by playing the game or using the code. I was using a mod. Any ideas?
Not sure what mod you used but unless the mod changed the script, those should unlock asking the dildo question in the Never Have I game.

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Feedback Requested
I've seen a lot of reviews saying there's no introduction to the characters and the MC, making it hard to know who they are and what they're like. Since Episode 1 released three weeks ago, the general review score for Hardenville has dropped (average 1 star down) in this thread, though it's stayed the same on Steam (61%).

Questions
  • Do you think the game should have focused more on introducing the characters earlier?
  • What kind of introduction would you want to see?
  • Which AVNs do a good job at this?

OR
  • Do you think it's better to keep it as it is, getting to know the characters more throughout the story as I originally intended? There will be a lot of character interaction in Episode 2 to help you get a better feel for their personalities. But is that "too late"?

General Feedback Requested As Well
I've received a lot of constructive feedback since Episode 1, and I agree with many suggestions on how Hardenville can improve and get better. I still want more feedback, but please use acceptable language to make it easier for me to gather and understand your suggestions.

Last edited:

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
Feedback Requested
I've seen a lot of reviews saying there's no introduction to the characters and the MC, making it hard to know who they are and what they're like. Since Episode 1 released three weeks ago, the general review score for Hardenville has "tanked" (average 1 star down) in this thread, though it's stayed the same on Steam (61%).

Questions
  • Do you think the game should have focused more on introducing the characters earlier?

OR
  • Do you think it's better to keep it as it is, getting to know the characters more throughout the story as I originally intended? There will be a lot of character interaction in Episode 2 to help you get a better feel for their personalities. But is that "too late"?

I've received a lot of constructive feedback since Episode 1, and I agree with many suggestions on how Hardenville can improve and get better. I still want more feedback, but please use acceptable language to make it easier for me to gather and understand your suggestions.
I rather liked the “in media res” wedding prologue. Feels like you are stepping into the shoes of someone and any sort of formal introduction would feel out of character.

The main issue for me is that there are too many characters introduced in a relatively short amount of time. For example all the new characters in the supermarket scene. The scene focuses on them so it says they are important but then nothing more about them. The cashier for example could have waited till her content to be introduced. You could always use a flashback if you really need to tie her to the supermarket event.

Perhaps, too, the character relations screen could be beefed up with more bio and how the MC meets them as they are introduced.

I can’t think of a single at the moment that does the introductions well primarily due to the nature of development of these games. With long periods between updates no matter how well they were introduced the players will forget some characters. I often resort to the character bios screens, if available, to refresh my memory.

flaviopaganini

Feb 25, 2024
Feedback Requested
I've seen a lot of reviews saying there's no introduction to the characters and the MC, making it hard to know who they are and what they're like. Since Episode 1 released three weeks ago, the general review score for Hardenville has dropped (average 1 star down) in this thread, though it's stayed the same on Steam (61%).

Questions

OR

When I started playing, I was surprised there wasn't an introduction. It was a bit of a shock having all the information presented at once. However, since they are teenagers, I thought maybe they don't have much history to introduce.

Perhaps you could include a Prologue chapter where they are at school or the mall, and you can calmly introduce who each one is and a bit of their personalities. I had difficulty distinguishing my relatives, my friends, and the staff at the party.

But the game as it is did not affect my experience, because in chapter two all my doubts were cleared up.

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
Feedback Requested

Questions

OR

I think Fresh Women did a good job of introducing the characters that felt fairly natural but didn't get bogged down in exposition.
Granted none of the ladies lived with the MC, and I didn't play until the entire first season was done, so I don't know how it looked in Dev.
Honestly, I think the lack of content in the game is what is holding it back the most.
Probably too early for early access on Steam, that's what the majority of negative reviews there seem to indicate.
Once it gets a few more updates under its belt it will probably be fine. (y)

Reactions: JoyFI Games

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
OR
Yes. Before you know, they will want you to just download it and fecking play it for them...and want their godamn spoon as well.

Not everything needs knowing immediately....

Reactions: JoyFI Games

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
I rather liked the “in media res” wedding prologue. Feels like you are stepping into the shoes of someone and any sort of formal introduction would feel out of character.

Perhaps, too, the character relations screen could be beefed up with more bio and how the MC meets them as they are introduced.

I can’t think of a single at the moment that does the introductions well primarily due to the nature of development of these games. With long periods between updates no matter how well they were introduced the players will forget some characters. I often resort to the character bios screens, if available, to refresh my memory.
I agree that the relationship screens could benefit from several improvements. They have the potential to be much more useful than they are currently. Personally, I think there are too many clicks required to access a character right now. One idea I have is to organize all characters into a mosaic-style screen, prioritizing the most important household members first. Idle characters could be displayed at 50% transparency, hovering over a selected character would be at 0% transparency, while their household members would be at 25% transparency. This setup would make it easy to understand who shares a house with whom. Implementing this would take some time, but I believe it would be worthwhile.

Additionally, I could incorporate zodiac signs for each character and create a notes section where you can jot down details you learn about them. For instance, if Millie mentions loving pancakes in Episode 3, that detail would be added to her note. Then in Episode 4, if you decide to create a bed and breakfast for Millie, you might choose between making her omelette, pancakes, or cereal.

When I started playing, I was surprised there wasn't an introduction. It was a bit of a shock having all the information presented at once. However, since they are teenagers, I thought maybe they don't have much history to introduce.

Perhaps you could include a Prologue chapter where they are at school or the mall, and you can calmly introduce who each one is and a bit of their personalities. I had difficulty distinguishing my relatives, my friends, and the staff at the party.

But the game as it is did not affect my experience, because in chapter two all my doubts were cleared up.
I'm glad Episode 1 provided you with more understanding. At some point, I'll need to remake The Prologue to update all the characters. I might also expand its content by adding more options and possibly remove the porta-potty scene entirely. This should make the game less cringeworthy, more professional, and improve the overall experience.

I think Fresh Women did a good job of introducing the characters that felt fairly natural but didn't get bogged down in exposition.
Granted none of the ladies lived with the MC, and I didn't play until the entire first season was done, so I don't know how it looked in Dev.
Honestly, I think the lack of content in the game is what is holding it back the most.
Probably too early for early access on Steam, that's what the majority of negative reviews there seem to indicate.
Once it gets a few more updates under its belt it will probably be fine. (y)
Theoretically, it's a positive sign that people are interested in the game and eager for more content. Additional content will be added over time. While some developers release larger batches of 3 to 5 Episodes per season, I plan to release 9 Episodes, with each one expanding in size. Some reviews may be influenced by delays, which is understandable. The Steam store page has always provided information about the estimated playtime for The Prologue and the combined length of The Prologue and Episode 1, along with details about the current release version. Therefore, people were realistically aware of the current content length and what the full release will involve.

Moreover, it's a great deal to purchase AVNs on Steam with a one-time payment and receive all future updates. The release timing for Episode 1 on Steam was aligned with all Patreon tiers due to the delay. Many people pay $25 a month to access the latest releases 1 to 2 weeks before lower tiers. Purchasing the game now for $7 (or $5 on sale right now, the cheapest price was $4 in June) is a reasonable price compared to a cup of coffee that lasts only 5-10 minutes. The game stays in your library forever and will continue to improve and expand.

Unfortunately, many negative reviews on Steam don't fully understand how much they can impact sales and the potential for stable investment for solo AVN developers who pour significant resources into their projects. Negative feedback can hinder steady progress, including the addition of new assets for future releases. Let’s hope that after Episode 2, the game can shift from a “Mixed” to a “Positive” rating on Steam. Recent months have seen more wishlist deletions than additions every day, which is understandable—who wants a “Mixed” rated game on their wishlist?

---

Thank you for the feedback. However, Ariel wants more!

Hardenville Ariel Feedback.png

Scene Creation: Approximately 1 hour

Render Time: 33 minutes

Post-Processing: 3 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour and 36 minutes

Iterations: 2,000 (Forced Stop)

Resolution: 2880 x 3840 pixels

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE

CPU: Intel i9-14900K

RAM: 128 GB DDR5

Last edited:

Jhon27

Jul 24, 2024

Just now

Which perspective do you think best fits Hardenville?

Third-person, first-person, or a combination of both? Keep in mind that choosing first-person only would mean no cinematics like the opening intro in Episode 1, and no third-person or cinematic angles during upcoming erotic scenes.

The bedroom scenes at the beginning of Episode 1 used a third-person perspective. Should these have been in first-person instead? Or is a mix of perspectives acceptable, or does it disrupt the flow?

Feel free to leave any other suggestions, ideas, or feedback in the comments below.
Screenshot_20240801_162343_Brave.png
VOTE

3.90 star(s) 22 Votes