Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Her's is at 22. Already set on her "meaning of life" path. (I don't know how I never noticed Ashley's friendship not rising.)

If it helps, I started the game in May. I'm not entirely sure if I ever restarted with a newer version since that time, but going by my habits, I probably kept the same saves all the way through.

On an unrelated note, Violet's room events appear to keep resetting each version, although that's not quite as high priority as the main game.
That should be impossible. Both Maria's and Ashley's friendship increase in the event you haven't seen for Ashley, so if you somehow managed to get passed that event, Maria's friendship would be 21.

Did you cheat Maria's friendship? Use a code? Or did you find a game breaking bug? If you did, I would love more detail.

To fix this problem, open the console and set Maria's friendship to 4, or restart the game.

What are you talking about? We are discussing sex after the Hangout events. They have already had their virginity taken (sex act > 0). So there isn't a possibility of the sex event occurring unless they've already done it at least once (problem solved). With the current logic, the player has to do the sex act 10 times (in order to get the sex trait) before sex after the Hangout event is even a possibility. It is a very broken feature in my opinion if you leave the logic like that. Hmm, you can't have sex after your date unless you've done it at least 10 times in a non-date event. This is the furthest thing from realistic I've ever heard of. :(
Yeah, my bad. I misread the > 0 part.

I completely disagree that it's a broken system. I think the way you played has made the system broken for you. It sounds like all you did was play through every characters story, then at the end tried to find more to do, instead of exploring the whole game, you focused on one part of it. Through sex training, submission training, and exhibitionism training, most people will easily get traits very fast, but it seems you ignored those things. Don't get me wrong, absolutely play the way you love the most, but I think most people would easily have the Mega Slut, Nympho, and Cum Slut or Cumdump traits before they finish that character's story. For example, it takes a minimum of 48 in game days to finish Kali's story, and only 4 in game days to get a trait.

The way traits are, it's sort of the girls being warmed up to that specific action to the point where they would offer it a lot. In other words, she'll give you a blowjob, make you happy. But if she's used to giving blowjobs, she'll see it as the gift the keeps on giving. To her, clearly you like receiving blowjobs and clearly you want blowjobs often, so that's what she'll give you.

Dante22

Apr 22, 2018
Ok Runey, i just finished playing through the update and the content is great as always, but ending sad stories in cliffhangers is just cruel man, but i'm invested at the story at this point.

I loved the new content specially the story parts but the sex with Enma was also great, and having a oral sex scene with Maria is nice, i would like to see more of that with the other girls too if possible.

The only real complaint i have would be that the scene gallery feels a bit incomplete, it's been a while since i played the game from the start so i can't pinpoint which ones exactly but there are definitely a few scenes missing, and i feel like it could be a bit more organized, maybe add a name under the scene instead of just the print?

But keep up the great work, would love to see the mother/daughter thing if you choose to include that.

Reactions: Runey

Deleted member 216358

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
@Runey

We'll have to agree to disagree about the sex after Hangout events. It's your game not mine. It's not even close to how real life works when you are dating your girlfriend but it's your decision. :cry:

You've mentioned several times about how cheating for friendship will break the story / game progression. This shouldn't be the case with good logic. You shouldn't base your logic on stats alone. If a player changes a girl's friendship from 1 to 30 (or any character stat for that matter), it shouldn't break their story or progression with good programming logic.

As an example, let's say you have 30 events with Autumn. Example logic:

Event #2 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 3 and autumn_story_progression = 2: (do event #2) (after event #2 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 3)

Event #3 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 4 and autumn_story_progression = 3: (do event #3) (after event #3 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 4)

Event #4 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 6 and autumn_story_progression = 4: (do event #4) (after event #4 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 5)

Event #30 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 20 and autumn_story_progression = 30: (do event #30) (after event #30 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 31)

This is just one example, out of many, of how to do it so that players who cheat stats don't mess up the story logic and character progression. It doesn't make any difference if a player changes Autumn's character stats since you aren't basing her story progression on character stats alone. This method helps to protect the player from themselves. ;)

The only downside to this is that it would invalidate all previous version save games. A small price to pay for the many benefits. Less support issues from player cheating also. Troubleshooting player save games would also become easier. :)

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
@Runey

We'll have to agree to disagree about the sex after Hangout events. It's your game not mine. It's not even close to how real life works when you are dating your girlfriend but it's your decision. :cry:

You've mentioned several times about how cheating for friendship will break the story / game progression. This shouldn't be the case with good logic. You shouldn't base your logic on stats alone. If a player changes a girl's friendship from 1 to 30 (or any character stat for that matter), it shouldn't break their story or progression with good programming logic.

As an example, let's say you have 30 events with Autumn. Example logic:

Event #2 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 3 and autumn_story_progression = 2: (do event #2) (after event #2 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 3)

Event #3 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 4 and autumn_story_progression = 3: (do event #3) (after event #3 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 4)

Event #4 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 6 and autumn_story_progression = 4: (do event #4) (after event #4 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 5)

Event #30 logic check:
if autumn_friendship >= 20 and autumn_story_progression = 30: (do event #30) (after event #30 is completed autumn_story_progression is set to 31)

This is just one example, out of many, of how to do it so that players who cheat stats don't mess up the story logic and character progression. It doesn't make any difference if a player changes Autumn's character stats since you aren't basing her story progression on character stats alone. This method helps to protect the player from themselves. ;)

The only downside to this is that it would invalidate all previous version save games. A small price to pay for the many benefits. Less support issues from player cheating also. Troubleshooting player save games would also become easier. :)
Friendship is each girls level. If the code were to be >= (friendship points) then friendship would be meaningless.

This is my first game I've ever made, so I did make the mistake of not separating friendship points with a story tracker (or character level). The way I wish I had done it was this:

if aut_story == 1: (do event)

That would allow friendship to take over the Affection stat.

But in the end, nothing is changed. All the stats do the same thing, a character's level would act as friendship does now, and friendship would act as Affection does now, it would just be changing the names a bit. The only plus would be a couple less people being confused on the wording I chose. Level is something people already know not to cheat unless they want to skip content, whereas people are more likely to think of Friendship of being how willing the girls are to do something. But I think the number of people who cheat friendship not realizing what they're doing is very small. Cheating stats without knowing what they do is always a bad idea regardless of what they're called.

Reactions: Maid Lain
Mar 21, 2018
Friendship is each girls level. If the code were to be >= (friendship points) then friendship would be meaningless.

This is my first game I've ever made, so I did make the mistake of not separating friendship points with a story tracker (or character level). The way I wish I had done it was this:

That would allow friendship to take over the Affection stat.

But in the end, nothing is changed. All the stats do the same thing, a character's level would act as friendship does now, and friendship would act as Affection does now, it would just be changing the names a bit. The only plus would be a couple less people being confused on the wording I chose. Level is something people already know not to cheat unless they want to skip content, whereas people are more likely to think of Friendship of being how willing the girls are to do something. But I think the number of people who cheat friendship not realizing what they're doing is very small. Cheating stats without knowing what they do is always a bad idea regardless of what they're called.
Not really. Friendship is still checked and the player still has to reach the minimum level for the event to trigger. spectre1viper's coding suggestion makes sense. He's been modding games for a long time.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Not really. Friendship is still checked and the player still has to reach the minimum level for the event to trigger. spectre1viper's coding suggestion makes sense. He's been modding games for a long time.
Yeah, it's still checked. But why? What does friendship do? Friendship would be risen just like the story tracker. They would be the exact same numbers unless someone cheated friendship. And if they did, nothing would change. You would need to cheat both friendship and the story tracker to skip to a story event.

The way it works now is this:

Do the event, raise event tracker (friendship)

What's being suggested (to my understanding) is this:

Do the event, raise friendship and the event tracker

The way it's being presented changes nothing but how the code refers to story trackers. It would be no different from changing "Friendship" to "Friendship2" in the code. It would just be work for nothing.

Mondoblasto

Nov 13, 2017
That should be impossible. Both Maria's and Ashley's friendship increase in the event you haven't seen for Ashley, so if you somehow managed to get passed that event, Maria's friendship would be 21.

Did you cheat Maria's friendship? Use a code? Or did you find a game breaking bug? If you did, I would love more detail.

To fix this problem, open the console and set Maria's friendship to 4, or restart the game.
I didn't use any cheats, and for codes, I only used the money code.

I wasn't planning to do so right now, but I ended up going back through my saves, and I did find the 'going to Maria's room' part, where Ashley confronts her with the knife.

Firstly, I have a habit of making a save for each increase (fri., slut., affection, ect.), and it turns out that instead of Maria's friendship going to 5, it increased to 6(??), and Ashley's to 12. Secondly, it turns out that when I next got Ashley's cellphone booty call, it turns out I ignored it and banged Kali in the shower instead. Bear in mind that this was from the latest version that was up in July.

Going a bit forward from those saves and using the current version, I got to Maria's webcam intro, and her first beach visit, but nothing more for Ashley. When I went back further and repeated the knife incident, it went to 5 and 12 instead. Continuing from there, I next got a scene with them talking about it in Maria's room, and didn't go further from there.

Considering how the game has improved over time, the changes in renders, and the many extra saves I made, I'm thinking I'll just restart. Thanks for taking the time to go over this!

Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, it's still checked. But why? What does friendship do? Friendship would be risen just like the story tracker. They would be the exact same numbers unless someone cheated friendship. And if they did, nothing would change. You would need to cheat both friendship and the story tracker to skip to a story event.

The way it's being presented changes nothing but how the code refers to story trackers. It would be no different from changing "Friendship" to "Friendship2" in the code. It would just be work for nothing.
What I think spectre1viper is trying to say is that all character variables should use the following logic:

friendship >= (value)
affection >= (value)
obedience >= (value)
sluttiness >= (value)
exhibitionism >= (value)
submission >= (value)

This way it doesn't matter if any character stat is cheated as the girl's story will progress normally using an additional story progression variable for each girl.

For example a player could change all of the variables (above) to 99 and your game would function great! All of the events would still be done in order. Story progression would not be broken.

This is just a smarter way to code the events. This way cheating will not affect story progression in any way (smart).

Your game is great, no question! Players are just trying to help make the game even better. Cheers!

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017

Redundancy. What it does is make it so that you keep track both of where the story is supposed to be, with the friendship, and whether or not it has actually triggered, with the story progression variable.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
What I think spectre1viper is trying to say is that all character variables should use the following logic:

friendship >= (value)
affection >= (value)
obedience >= (value)
sluttiness >= (value)
exhibitionism >= (value)
submission >= (value)

This way it doesn't matter if any character stat is cheated as the girl's story will progress normally using an additional story progression variable for each girl.

This is just a smarter way to code the events. This way cheating will not affect story progression in any way (smart).

Your game is great, no question! Players are just trying to help make the game even better. Cheers!
All stats use >= except for friendship, which needs to be very specific.

Or rather, the check could probably not be so specific as it is now, but the level at which you has does need to be specific.

If friendship were checked at >= rather than == I believe it would do the same thing for the most part, unless you cheat it.

I believe I'm finally understanding what he's suggesting now, if only Friendship were checked at >=, all previous events would play over each other. But if there's a specific check along with >= Friendship, that would stop it all from appearing at once.

I think the only thing doing Friendship >= and Tracker == would change, is allowing those who cheat friendship to still see all the events. Which... I mean, why would I do that? Feel free to cheat, of course. But I don't see any reason as to why I would put in a safe guard for those who cheat. It seems kind of pointless to me.

If you're going to cheat, I suggest looking for the cheat codes in the script. There are cheat codes that allow you to skip to the end of the last build's max stats for each character. For Maria as an example, it would set her friendship to 20 to allow you to do v0.5's new content right away, and give her all of her traits, and put all her stats to 10 (15 for affection).

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017

Or rather, the check could probably not be so specific as it is now, but the level at which you has does need to be specific.

If friendship were checked at >= rather than == I believe it would do the same thing for the most part, unless you cheat it.

I believe I'm finally understanding what he's suggesting now, if only Friendship were checked at >=, all previous events would play over each other. But if there's a specific check along with >= Friendship, that would stop it all from appearing at once.

I think the only thing doing Friendship >= and Tracker == would change, is allowing those who cheat friendship to still see all the events. Which... I mean, why would I do that? Feel free to cheat, of course. But I don't see any reason as to why I would put in a safe guard for those who cheat. It seems kind of pointless to me.

If you're going to cheat, I suggest looking for the cheat codes in the script. There are cheat codes that allow you to skip to the end of the last build's max stats for each character. For Maria as an example, it would set her friendship to 20 to allow you to do v0.5's new content right away, and give her all of her traits, and put all her stats to 10 (15 for affection).
It's healthy to program redundancies like this anyway, because they also catch mistakes that you might make. Future releases will be more stable in general and you'll have less headache in "bugs" of this sort appearing.

Mar 21, 2018

I agree 100% except for your last two paragraphs. Protecting players from themselves is a kind thing to do. It also lessens support issues. It also lessens player frustration (from skipping parts of the story). It's like saying "If you cheat then I have no intent on helping you. You are on your own, sorry."

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
It's healthy to program redundancies like this anyway, because they also catch mistakes that you might make. Future releases will be more stable in general and you'll have less headache in "bugs" of this sort appearing.
Definitely.

I'm in talks with paying Lain to overhaul the event stuff already. (It's my break and I don't want to work yet, haha)

The plan is this:
Instead of coding events like: if day >=20 and mar_friendship == 15: do event
it would be like this (I'm probably getting this wrong): if mar_event_days_passed >= 3 and day >= 20 and mar_friendship == 15: do event

Here's the explanation:
Every event has different day requirements. Such as Day >=20 and Day >=23. It's intended for you to wait 3 days before you do the next event, but, if you're on day 50 and you haven't done any of a girls events, you're able to do 3 events in one single day. This change would make it so you still have to wait a couple days before doing the next event. Regardless of what Day you're on, you'll be able to do all of her events, but you would still need to wait the predetermined amount of days to do the next one.

Here's what that would fix:
Pacing is important in the story. Doing Maria's cunnilingus event 1 hour before you do her final date event in v0.5 feels really damn weird. Like one moment you were munching on some puss, the next... Well you know.
You're meant to wait a couple of days before that happens. Events are supposed to spawn 1 - 3 days after the last one. This would make HH feel more like a game instead of a book, the pacing would be better, and the story better told. It would also allow you plenty of time in between events to train girls. And also make the game longer.

I can understand if people may not like this at first, since it seems like I'm stretching the game out, but all this does is keep the original pacing. If you were to focus on Kali's story, trying to get it done first, then move on to the next girl, all other girls' pacing would be ruined. This new design would make it as if the same pacing is going through the game, instead of piling up behind you as you pay attention to something else.

I agree 100% except for your last two paragraphs. Protecting players from themselves is a kind thing to do. It also lessens support issues. It also lessens player frustration (from skipping parts of the story). It's like saying "If you cheat then I have no intent on helping you. You are on your own, sorry."
With what I said above, I may also ask him to do the ">= friendship and == stat_tracker" thing, but I'll give it a couple more thoughts before I say anything. People who cheat without knowing what they're doing are probably 1% of people who play. In other words, it'd be nice to have I guess.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Raise Maria's friendship to 4, then you'll be able to advance Ashley's story passed 12.
Maria's friendship has to be 4 for Ashley's 11th event and he said he's already on 12.
edit: nevermind he said he Maria was on 22.

Event #2 logic check:

Event #3 logic check:

Event #4 logic check:

Event #30 logic check:
You don't understand what the friendship variable is in this game. Friendship is the "story_progression" variable, it's a characters level that corresponds to an event. It's not at all related to any of the other stats.
edit: and I see Runey has already mentioned this lol.

Redundancy. What it does is make it so that you keep track both of where the story is supposed to be, with the friendship, and whether or not it has actually triggered, with the story progression variable.
There's absolutely no reason to have two variables that do the exact same thing. Redundancy is very bad in coding. Something like this would be pointless and make it even harder to fix and find bugs:
Python:
if ashley_friendship == 10 and ashley_friendship_backup == 10:
    # do event

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Her's is at 22. Already set on her "meaning of life" path. (I don't know how I never noticed Ashley's friendship not rising.)
Okay wait so it's like this:
Ashley only needs to be level 11 to do all of Maria's events, since Ashley is 12 it's definitely possible for Maria to be level 22.

Ohhh I think I know what's wrong. He needs to go to Maria's room for Ashley's level 12 event, but since he has Maria's level maxed, the code that decides if you can even talk to Maria (after doing her last event) is checked before the code that checks if you can do Ashley's level 12 event. So he gets the "I can't talk to her" thing and sent back to the hallway before the game can even check if he can do Ashley's event.

Deleted member 216358

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
You don't understand what the friendship variable is in this game. Friendship is the "story_progression" variable, it's a characters level that corresponds to an event. It's not at all related to any of the other stats.
edit: and I see Runey has already mentioned this lol.

There's absolutely no reason to have two variables that do the exact same thing. Redundancy is very bad in coding. Something like this would be pointless and make it even harder to fix and find bugs:
Python:
if ashley_friendship == 10 and ashley_friendship_backup == 10:
    # do event
Friendship is one of the many character stats. Using it as the "story progression" variable is bad coding and bad design. It is also very deceptive to the player who has no idea that a character stat is also being used as the story progression variable.

If the ONLY purpose of friendship is to track story progression then it needs to be removed from the character stats section and renamed to something ambiguous (so the player doesn't try to change it manually). A unique naming convention such as this could be used: ang1sp - first name letter, first name last letter, girl #, sp (story progression). This way the player has no idea what the variable is or does and will not attempt to modify it.

Runey said that they wished they had done it differently from the beginning, "This is my first game I've ever made, so I did make the mistake of not separating friendship points with a story tracker (or character level). The way I wish I had done it was this:

That would allow friendship to take over the Affection stat."

What DarthSeduction was suggesting was to leave Friendship as an actual character stat (like it should be) and add a separate story progression variable / tracker. Doing it this way would lessen player confusion ("Hey, where did Friendship go?"). Less code would have to be modified as well.

I understand that you are trying to defend Runey, but even Runey mentioned that it was a bad decision.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Friendship is one of the many character stats. Using it as the "story progression" variable is bad coding and bad design. It is also very deceptive to the player who has no idea that a character stat is also being used as the story progression variable.

If the ONLY purpose of friendship is to track story progression then it needs to be removed from the character stats section and renamed to something ambiguous (so the player doesn't try to change it manually). A unique naming convention such as this could be used: ang1sp - first name letter, first name last letter, girl #, sp (story progression). This way the player has no idea what the variable is or does and will not attempt to modify it.

Runey said that they wished they had done it differently from the beginning, "This is my first game I've ever made, so I did make the mistake of not separating friendship points with a story tracker (or character level). The way I wish I had done it was this:

That would allow friendship to take over the Affection stat."

What DarthSeduction was suggesting was to leave Friendship as an actual character stat (like it should be) and add a separate story progression variable / tracker. Doing it this way would lessen player confusion ("Hey, where did Friendship go?"). Less code would have to be modified as well.

I understand that you are trying to defend Runey, but even Runey mentioned that it was a bad decision.
That's not true at all though, also you keep saying it should be removed but you give really vague reasons for why you think it should be removed..

You still don't understand that the friendship character level IS the story progression level. It does not need to be removed and it should stay in the character stats since it tells you what level the character is, so if your character is level 10, you know that you're doing the character's level 10 story event. Why remove that?? There's no reason to.

Also he did not say it was a bad decision, you didn't read anything he said besides the first sentence because then he said:
But in the end, nothing is changed. All the stats do the same thing, a character's level would act as friendship does now, and friendship would act as Affection does now, it would just be changing the names a bit.
And changing the name of a variable is not going to stop players from finding it, and there is nothing wrong with players wanting to change what part of a character's story they are at, even the cheat codes let you do that! Why try to stop that by changing all the variable names? There's no point.

And again, anyone that thinks having two variables that literally will always be the exact same value and forcing yourself to check for and increment both of them just so you can use one for the UI stats screen and another for the events, is really really really bad at programming.

Reactions: Master of Puppets

brknsoul

Nov 2, 2017
Some of Lin's dialog needs to be re-written if what she calls you is the same is your name. It gets a little confusing, especially her first meeting with Autumn.

4.70 star(s) 450 Votes