Ninjaman2

Dec 4, 2018
Yeah sounds like the end is right around the corner. I would suspect a few patches of filling in the middle parts. One update for the "end" of the road and then several more updates for fleshing out various different endings. It is my guess that this game has proven to be very stressful and a clear ending in sight is needed for the dev's peace of mind. Just my armchair analysis though.

FrostRabbit7

Aug 20, 2022
Yeah sounds like the end is right around the corner. I would suspect a few patches of filling in the middle parts. One update for the "end" of the road and then several more updates for fleshing out various different endings. It is my guess that this game has proven to be very stressful and a clear ending in sight is needed for the dev's peace of mind. Just my armchair analysis though.
Davie actually addressed this on his Discord. Existing story is just being expanded a bit. They will then continue from there. I don't even see this game being at its halfway point yet. Sparkle is facing an entire group of individuals and she has only met two and escaped notice both times.

Lillen B.

Oct 18, 2017
Half say the story is nearly finished, while the other half say much more to come after development catches up to current content. Conflicting messaging o_O

It doesn't seem like the story could possibly be over already, so I'm hopeful it's the latter, but who knows?

Gwydion

Apr 14, 2018
Half say the story is nearly finished, while the other half say much more to come after development catches up to current content. Conflicting messaging o_O

It doesn't seem like the story could possibly be over already, so I'm hopeful it's the latter, but who knows?
It sounds like just an unfortunate wording choice, honestly. Given there's no way the story could be almost done without some sort of extremely rushed ending, which I'm fairly confident now isn't going to be the case, the dev saying that the story is 'being paused where it is, which is close to the end' until side-stuff has been fully fleshed-out PROBABLY meant that it's close to the end of what's been written so far, with further story-writing to be continued later.

daviezwei

Oct 21, 2017
The adjusted outline is 23 acts (aka chapters) and the game is currently at 19 acts. So I'd hazard to say the story is 4 acts from the end given the current planning. That's what I mean by "close" when I say it's close to the end.

However, if I feel like the game is rushing to the end or I'm cutting corners to stick with the outline then I will 100% add more acts. After all, the original outline was only 10 acts with 4 exclusive minor acts for climax and wrap-up. So you can see that I am not scared to scribble in the margins.

Because a good story without a satisfying conclusion is not a good story.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
The adjusted outline is 23 acts (aka chapters) and the game is currently at 19 acts. So I'd hazard to say the story is 4 acts from the end given the current planning. That's what I mean by "close" when I say it's close to the end.

However, if I feel like the game is rushing to the end or I'm cutting corners to stick with the outline then I will 100% add more acts. After all, the original outline was only 10 acts with 4 exclusive minor acts for climax and wrap-up. So you can see that I am not scared to scribble in the margins.

Because a good story without a satisfying conclusion is not a good story.
Yeah, as a fellow creative person, I'd say don't close yourself off into a specific number of chapters, if you can help it (of course if you're forced to by outside issues that's another matter entirely). It's fairly common for any writer to sunddenly feel like "ho wait, I could add that at this point..." and then it ripples into three more chapters.
Just keep the story going at the pace you feel it has to go instead of trying to get it done by act X. That way not only will you get a satisfying ending, but you'll also avoid the rush feeling as well as forgetting loose ends. You write it, you get to dictacte how many acts are enough, not any other factor.

And as we creative people are endlessly dissatisfied with our own works, if you try to make it fit into 23 acts, you'll likely end up kicking yourself anyway because you'll feel like you could have done far better.

Reactions: Gwydion

FrostRabbit7

Aug 20, 2022

However, if I feel like the game is rushing to the end or
To be fair they tend to frustrate and piss off people more than anything.
Sometimes the writer ends the game as a to be continued and continues in a second part because the story has grown too massive. Doing this makes it so the boot up doesn't take two hours just to start up the game. Renply is notorious for having a load failure bug in which it is just too much data for the game engine to handle.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
Sometimes the writer ends the game as a to be continued and continues in a second part because the story has grown too massive. Doing this makes it so the boot up doesn't take two hours just to start up the game. Renply is notorious for having a load failure bug in which it is just too much data for the game engine to handle.
Not really what you'd call a cliffhanger, though.

4.30 star(s) 124 Votes