Mod Ren'Py Completed Heart Problems [Xenorav] [English] Dialogue Re-Write ver. 0.30 (CH1 to 3)

Do you want to see a Chapter 2 Re-Write or is the original Dialogue fine as it is?

• Yes, I'd like to see this continue.

Votes: 513 88.0%
  • No, the Original script is fine as it is.

Votes: 70 12.0%

• Total voters

rans

Jul 7, 2018
I can't seem to get it to work. I extracted the files into the root folder, but I get this error when I go to preferences.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1699, in execute
    screen preferences():
    screen preferences():
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1703, in execute
    use game_menu(_("Preferences"), scroll="viewport"):
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1387, in execute
    screen game_menu(title, scroll=None, yinitial=0.0):
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1397, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1400, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1406, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1409, in execute
    if scroll == "viewport":
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1411, in execute
    viewport:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1420, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1421, in execute
    transclude
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1705, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1707, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1734, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1736, in execute
    bar value FieldValue(persistent, "dialogueBoxOpacity", range=1.0, style="slider")
  File "renpy/common/00barvalues.rpy", line 285, in get_adjustment
    value -= self.offset
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -=: 'NoneType' and 'int'

And when I press ignore this is the error

[code]

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 180, in script
    centered "Your name will be [mc]."
TypeError: must be real number, not NoneType

Reactions: Chinwiskers

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
I can't seem to get it to work. I extracted the files into the root folder, but I get this error when I go to preferences.

Code:

While running game code:
    screen preferences():
    screen preferences():
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1397, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1400, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1406, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1409, in execute
    if scroll == "viewport":
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1411, in execute
    viewport:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1420, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1421, in execute
    transclude
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1705, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1707, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1734, in execute
    vbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1736, in execute
    bar value FieldValue(persistent, "dialogueBoxOpacity", range=1.0, style="slider")
  File "renpy/common/00barvalues.rpy", line 285, in get_adjustment
    value -= self.offset
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -=: 'NoneType' and 'int'

And when I press ignore this is the error

[code]

While running game code:
Do you have any other mods installed? There is an incompatibility atm with the other mods as they over-write the script files necessary to make this one work.

rans

Jul 7, 2018
Do you have any other mods installed? There is an incompatibility atm with the other mods as they over-write the script files necessary to make this one work.
That's the thing, this is with a fresh install of the game so I don't understand how others can get it to run

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
That's the thing, this is with a fresh install of the game so I don't understand how others can get it to run
Honestly this "TypeError: must be real number, not NoneType" error message crops up quite a lot with people, the problem is it doesn't happen on my system and when I did reproduce it on a seperate laptop I fixed it and never saw it again.. its so weird lol

I've even tried using copilot A.I to identify the issue and run through its suggestions, the last thing it mentions is the "environment" the game is being run in (i.e the computer its being run on).

Lemme try download a fresh copy of the game and apply the mod from this page.

rans

Jul 7, 2018
Honestly this "TypeError: must be real number, not NoneType" error message crops up quite a lot with people, the problem is it doesn't happen on my system and when I did reproduce it on a seperate laptop I fixed it and never saw it again.. its so weird lol

I've even tried using copilot A.I to identify the issue and run through its suggestions, the last thing it mentions is the "environment" the game is being run in (i.e the computer its being run on).

Lemme try download a fresh copy of the game and apply the mod from this page.
That is weird. I can run the game fine without the rewrite, but when I start to apply it into the game, these errors pop up

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
That is weird. I can run the game fine without the rewrite, but when I start to apply it into the game, these errors pop up
So the one that you're getting when entering the preferences screen, that error relates to the Opacity slider that I added for the dialogue box. But! The game running on my machine doesn't produce that error:

Screenshot 2024-07-23 113723.png

The second error you got seems to relate to the function "centered" but this also doesn't produce an error for me.

Did you just hit enter when it asked for a name at the start?

I'll have a look at the code again but I honestly have no idea why it works here and not once its uploaded to the forums lol

P.S
Did you move these two folders out of the HP_REWRITE_0.30 folder?
Screenshot 2024-07-23 114109.png
Silly question I know lol but worth an ask!

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
Ok just downloaded a fresh, untouched copy of the game and applied the mod:
1721731461895.png
Then after hitting enter:
Screenshot 2024-07-23 114440.png

Such a confusing issue lol but you aren't the only one whose had it so far :cry:

rans

Jul 7, 2018
So the one that you're getting when entering the preferences screen, that error relates to the Opacity slider that I added for the dialogue box. But! The game running on my machine doesn't produce that error:

View attachment 3859139

The second error you got seems to relate to the function "centered" but this also doesn't produce an error for me.

Did you just hit enter when it asked for a name at the start?

I'll have a look at the code again but I honestly have no idea why it works here and not once its uploaded to the forums lol

For the first point, I don't understand it either. When I click 'Preferences', it shows the error. When I click 'Ignore', it goes straight to asking for the name.

For the second error, when it asks for the name, I usually enter a random name, and then the error pops up. I even tried restarting it without going into the 'Preferences' and going straight into the game, but the same thing happens. It asks for the name, then the error pops up.

btw, I appreciate your quick response. I really wanted to try your rewrite for this game. Given the state of the game right now, I'm looking for new ways to experience it, so I really appreciate your dedication to this game.

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
For the first point, I don't understand it either. When I click 'Preferences', it shows the error. When I click 'Ignore', it goes straight to asking for the name.

For the second error, when it asks for the name, I usually enter a random name, and then the error pops up. I even tried restarting it without going into the 'Preferences' and going straight into the game, but the same thing happens. It asks for the name, then the error pops up.

btw, I appreciate your quick response. I really wanted to try your rewrite for this game. Given the state of the game right now, I'm looking for new ways to experience it, so I really appreciate your dedication to this game.
And I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to check it out and respond to my responses! This exact error message has been plaguing me since I released Chapter 2 I think (The update where I added the Opacity slider to the preferences screen), I'm not actually that experienced in Ren'Py or coding I have no background in it, so this is all a learning experience for me lol

But I'm determined to find a solution! What makes it so strange is that other people also don't get this error message.. it's so random?

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
And I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to check it out and respond to my responses! This exact error message has been plaguing me since I released Chapter 2 I think (The update where I added the Opacity slider to the preferences screen), I'm not actually that experienced in Ren'Py or coding I have no background in it, so this is all a learning experience for me lol

But I'm determined to find a solution! What makes it so strange is that other people also don't get this error message.. it's so random?
Only thing I can think of that's installed on my PC that may not be on someone elses is... Microsoft Visual Studio Code?

rans

Jul 7, 2018

Yeah, I'm not really sure. Maybe it has something to do with how we install it? I just drag and drop the 'game' and 'renpy' files into the folder and accept the replace prompt if it shows up.

By the way, the installation process mentioned backing up the '00barvalues' file from 'renpy/common', but the file in the rewrite folder is '00library'.

Chinwiskers

Jan 26, 2022
Yeah, I'm not really sure. Maybe it has something to do with how we install it? I just drag and drop the 'game' and 'renpy' files into the folder and accept the replace prompt if it shows up.

By the way, the installation process mentioned backing up the '00barvalues' file from 'renpy/common', but the file in the rewrite folder is '00library'.
haha its funny you should mention this! I just noticed that myself!
Try re-downloading the mod, I uploaded it with the 00barvalues file included, fingers crossed!

rans

Jul 7, 2018
haha its funny you should mention this! I just noticed that myself!
Try re-downloading the mod, I uploaded it with the 00barvalues file included, fingers crossed!
It almost worked!

When I go to preferences now it does not show the error anymore
although the same problem persists when after I enter a name

Code:

While running game code:
And after i ignore it this error pops up

Code:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 189, in script
    "{size=+3}This, is your beautiful family."