Ren'Py - Heavy Five [Ch.2RS] [Nottravis]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Akamari

Review as of Chapter 2.

Only two chapters in and Heavy Five is already my top favourite 3D rendered adult VN that is setting many bars in terms of storytelling and character depth.

THE GOOD:

- Choices and Consequences at its best. Although a visual novel, it is in fact more of a roleplaying game than many others that claim to be one, for in this game you actually can roleplay a character thanks to the sheer amount of choices that do matter along the way. However, there is no repetitive grinding of stats as everything depends on the decisions player makes. Choices themselves have great variety adaptive to each situations. They are not simple bad guy/good guy options. They are logical and reward players who pay attention in regards to what their goals are.

- Writing is superb adding a lot of depth to the game.I'd go even as far as calling it the best written western adult game I've played. It's never boring. I play almost always only one route in visual novels, but the quality of the writing here is so captivating that it would be a bloody shame not to try playing with different character mindsets and goals and see where else it might take me playthrough after playthrough.

- Character Depth. All characters have very well developed and complex personalities. Getting to know them is like getting to know a real person (except more fun...mostly.:)). They have their own motivations, agendas, fears, secrets as well as virtues, vices and quirks. If you don't fall in love with at least one of the main three heroines, you have no heart.:) I can tell you that it's very easy to do so with all three though, and more girls are on the way.

- The MC. The player character is great because he is smart. For good or ill. You are not playing a creepy immature idiot in this game. The MC, as I see him, has a keen analytical mind, which is helpful cause he gives his thoughts before the choices, thus making it easier to anticipate consequences, but he's thankfully not perfect, so ultimately it is on player's wit to choose what is best for him.

- Great Renders. Everyone is tired of seeing the same models again and again, right? Well, that doesn't happen here. Every character looks very different from any that I've seen before. And they are gorgeous! (Well, the girls are, I'm biased in that). Beautiful faces with stunning eyes (honestly, haven't seen any dev that would do eyes better with light reflection) and alluring figures (No ridiculously inflated balloons up or down with super thin waist, thankfully!). What really sets them apart in my opinion, is dev's excellent touch with expressions and body postures that perfectly correlates to the writing. There is also very good usage of close-up renders. Besides the girls, I have to mention another beauty, and that is the small cruiser Vanguard. I do have appreciation for pretty starships.

- Background Details. Little things, but I appreciate them very much. From the interiors of the Vanguard over beer cans and posters to badges and insignias on the uniforms, there is nothing that would feel out of place.

- The Lewd. There is not a lot of lewd stuff yet, but what is there is very well done both in terms of visuals and writing. As getting to know the characters first makes it much more rewarding later, there is a lot to look forward to. There is a large number of great teasing scenes (which is a favourite thing of mine), so there is certainly enough to give the imagination wheels a spin.;)

- The Lore. I don't think there is another adult game with as extensive background information on the characters, the story and the universe. Thanks to that I can also say I haven't seen as immersive sci-fi setting in an adult game either.

- The Technobabble. As a trekkie, this is one of the important things that define a sci-fi setting. To make the the technical stuff right or at least believable. Again, this is something Heavy Five excels in. I haven't found anything in this area where I would think that it's bullshit. Even things like military hierarchy and rules are worked out to the detail. As an aviation enthusiast, I also greatly appreciate the dev's research that went into flight mechanics, checklist procedures, and ATC communication.

- Patreon Extras. Not really much relevant to me mateys here, but this is something that is worth mentioning. Bored Pilot in-game magazine is a very nice touch. Hillarious interviews with sexy pictures, what can top that?

- VR Games. Very nice addition in Chapter 2. One of the girls is an avid gamer and playing with her promises a lot of crazy fun. One thing, why I always wanted Star Trek to become reality was their holodecks and all the stuff you can do there without risk. This is very much like that.

THE BAD:

- It's extremely difficult to put something here. So I'll just go with one little graphical effect that I don't like very much. Lip gloss of certain characters (namely Trisha, and to some extent Chris in Ch.2). I find it too bright, making the lips look plasticky and unnatural. But I'm also not a fan of "radical" lipstick colors in general, so take this with a grain of salt.

THE UGLY:

- Sorry, "the ugly" fans, I still couldn't find anything.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

frap

Great start.
    Good renders, good music, good writing.

I look forward to how this will develop, but for an introductory chapter this is right up there, especially considering you constrained the gameplay to two locations (the hangar and the ship).

As this grows I'm sure it'll turn into an intricate tangle of a plot, but I'm rooting for the LGMs myself. :)

EDIT: POST CHAPTER 3

I called it - an intricate tangle of a plot. There are rumors, and suspicions, and sideways glances from a ship-mate who should know better. There's the question of whether the situation is due to willful malice or simple incompetency. Let's not forget that all the characters have their own goals, ambitions, secrets, and agendas. In other words: it's a fully-fleshed story with well-thought-out characters driving it.

As such, the characters all grow more interesting as the story progresses and their personalities deepen and broaden. No one-dimensional types here.

If you're concerned that you're missing something from the Patreon extras:
    The bonuses (bonus mini-game and magazines) are just that: not something directly related to the story overall and while you miss out on some good entertainment (under the "Entertainment" button on your in-game PDA) not having them doesn't detract from the game itself. In other words: content directly related to the game is not locked behind a paywall.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

quinfax

This is a review for Chapter 1

Girls In Space!

This newest dev has a great first start for a potential new classic.

Music - Reminds me of classic science fiction.
    Story - Science fiction story about a recently appointed engineer to a project that has some mystery surrounding it. Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Characters - MC is not a jackass unless you want him to be.
    The newest ensign Sarah ready to please her superiors.
    The laidback Annie. What will she expect of you?
    The dominating Chris. Vasquez 2.0 anyone. (Best Girl)
    Many more to come.
    Graphics -All the female models looks great. The ui is unique and easy enough to navigate. There is a tutorial at the begin for gaming newbs. Entertaining response for skipping tutorial. The ship though small feels like a realistic vessel.

Choices are meaningful and can lead to different scenes. Keep multiple saves on this one for future chapters.

There is no sex scenes as of chapter 1. Though there is a lot of setup for future interactions with the characters. Plus the story is interesting enough that I have multiple reason to keep checking on this.

Keep an eye out on this one.

Excelsior
  4. 5.00 star(s)

RomanHume

This game is off to a great start! The renders are absolutely top notch, I love the choice of music and the characters are very well defined. There is also a lot of background story being built up. Not just with the characters, but with some good old fashioned Sci-Fi mystery.

For this reviewer, the setting and music draw up fond memories of Wing Commander, Star Trek and Starship Troopers.

While there is no sex yet, all the necessary tension is there and I don't think it will take long for this tiny shuttle to explode. This game has a very strong opening and I played through it three times before felt like I saw most of what was there.

While certain choices provide more instantaneous rewards, I never got the feeling there were any "wrong" choices. There were of course dialogue options that let you shut down a character's romance, but they felt very clearly marked.

I'm excited to see where this story goes.