Ren'Py Help with developing in Renpy

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
Hi there,
I'm a newbie at this so please forgive me if I ask dumb questions, but I want to develop an adult game in Ren'Py but there are some things that I wanna be clear of:

1: Getting Resources free of cost and infringement - Images, Background, clickable objects, character Models & animation (with different poses, expression, and like interacting with another character model like hugging etc). How do I pull this off and which sources/software can I use?

2: Can I even use character models,animation, images from other games? Say from like Honey select, and other illusion games? if so then how?

Just to give you an idea I'm trying to create a game like Man of the house, Big Brother, Dating my Daughter etc.

Please give me some advice, I will greatly appreciate any help, advice or a good tutorial link that helps me create this type of game. I have heard of some software like Daz 3d but have no idea how to use it.

Thanks

Katgza

Nov 4, 2016
- I'll Link some Threads should consider Read:
- Also Renpy's official Site can be very helpful:

- If You're considering Use Honey Select:
- If your considering using Daz3D:

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
And to add something to the list above: A real important skill is to . I don't mean it in a bad way, it's really important. You can find EVERYTHING around the internet, tutorials on how to use all the tools necessary to produce a game. How to Program and so on... you'll always get to a point where you need help or where you don't know what to do anymore. So for this it's really recommended to learn how to search the web ;) I mean seriously if you want to make money with a game you should at least know what you need to do :) For ren'py you need to learn how ren'py works and best learn some Python too. For the 3DCGs you need to learn how to pose, tweak, morph, light, and so on and so on, a scene in a program like DAZ3D and then you need the hardware to render with those programs.

Even if you ask how this all works, it won't help you at all if you don't want to sit down and learn some new stuff yourself. And the learning part is the highest hurdle for most people so if you really want to do this then know this:

You won't be able to create a game like the ones you mentioned in a week, or month. It depends on how fast you can learn and how fast you can read but it "can" take years to learn everything you need to make a "really" great game. Of course you can start by doing a small one to learn all the things necessary but to get high quality renders like the mentioned games will take quite the time. :) So don't get discouraged by the fact that you'll need to sit there for hours and read up on some things or watch some youtube tutorials or stuff like that. Because it's just not that simple :) But it's certainly worth it! :)

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
- I'll Link some Threads should consider Read:
- Also Renpy's official Site can be very helpful:

- If You're considering Use Honey Select:
- If your considering using Daz3D:
Cheers! will definitely check it out, appreciate it :).
yeah I been reading the renpys official site but honestly its useful when you have all the resources & materials ready.
Thats the problem I'm having, I need the resources, audio files, characters, images etc. And I don't think I can make my own characters or art.

But Thanks a lot

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
And to add something to the list above: A real important skill is to . I don't mean it in a bad way, it's really important. You can find EVERYTHING around the internet, tutorials on how to use all the tools necessary to produce a game. How to Program and so on... you'll always get to a point where you need help or where you don't know what to do anymore. So for this it's really recommended to learn how to search the web ;) I mean seriously if you want to make money with a game you should at least know what you need to do :) For ren'py you need to learn how ren'py works and best learn some Python too. For the 3DCGs you need to learn how to pose, tweak, morph, light, and so on and so on, a scene in a program like DAZ3D and then you need the hardware to render with those programs.
Yeah I get ya, I know it won't be easy and I'm totally fine with learning in fact thats what I'm doing now, I just can't seem to find the right sources to help me out, maybe I'm not using the right terms/keywords lol. I am a decent programmer (this is my last year of software engineering degree) but when it comes to game development its so different, so I'm not worried about the coding aspect of it but just everything else lols.

Initially my idea was to make a game on unity but like you said start small and simple I think (atleast for me) renpy is a lot less overwhelming.

Thanks for the DAZ3D insight, will definitely try to learn those.
Appreciate the help.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, renpy is a lot less overwhelming ;)

Sadly there aren't many "free" assets for 3DCG though. Most have to be bought, so you might have to invest a little (if you want to obtain it all legally).
Best sites for games like ours would be , and
There are other 3DCG programs like Poser and so on, but most of them use the same assets, so you have to buy the assets from those pages too AND buy the program itself.... So it's good to start with DAZ3D the program itself is free and most ressources can be used in other programs too...

Those videos are good for the start... just to get a little overview:

Then there are also in program tutorials (you should do them, you get some free assets for completing them ;) ) in DAZ Studio, which show you where you find what in the program itself :)

p.S.: Most devs start out partly legal and partly illegal, when they earn a bit of money with the game they start to buy the assets they got not so legal before ;)

Reactions: ShadowxHit

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
Figured as much, I guess I might have to invest a little and yeah the DAZ 3D makes it easier since its free and gives few free assets. I've been watching those tutorials and then I basically did it again but with the Interactive tutorial in Daz Studio (got free sword asset lol) but its better than nothing.

Getting the hang of it and am starting to wrap my head around things so its a good start. I had a feeling that most devs do some partly illegal stuff(Understandable tbh) but personally I like to be clean of any illegal methods hence why I asked if I can just use clips and models from other games like honey select etc.

Ehh guess its just one of the curses for developers...
Also the rendering is such a bitch! lol, even with a pretty beastly computer it sure hits like a truck but beggers can't be choosers so ill let it slide.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Hmmm yeah the render times depend on many different factors... What hardware do you have? Especially what kind of graphics card if you want to use Iray it has to be an nvidia anything else doesn't work it just uses your CPU then and that takes a loooooot longer :) Then there are some settings to tweak to get the best results in the shortest amount of time possible and so on ;)

I can understand that, I don't want any illegaly obtained assets in my games either (because I'm selling them, if it would be just for myself I wouldn't mind but this way.....)

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
The GPU I have is Nvidia GTX 1060. I think I might be able to make it faster but I can't find advanced setting tab under render settings or anywhere inside render settings (as shown in one of the tutorial videos). I'm guessing that the tutorial is old and the version of DAZ 3D I have is new and slightly changed.

If you don't mind can you kindly direct me to where I can find that setting so I can set it to using my GPU?. Cheers

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
It depends on the layout you chose. But standard "should" look like this:

Zwischenablage01.jpg

Under the "Render Settings" Panel you go to the "Editor" Tab, there you activate "NVIDIA Iray" in the Drop Down Menu as your render "Engine".
Zwischenablage02.jpg
If there's an Advanced tab right next to the Editor tab now, click on it.
Zwischenablage03.jpg

If you can't find it in Render Settings while "Iray" is your active engine, then try doing that:

Click on the "Smart Content Panel" and then in the list on Render Settings, and then doubleclick on Genesis 8 Starter Essentials.
Zwischenablage04.jpg

In there doubleclick on Iray Advanced Render Settings.
Zwischenablage05.jpg

Then repeat the first one again and check if it's now there... :)

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
Thanks a lot!. Found it in like 2 mins following your screenshots, Can't believe I couldn't find it before I spent a long time looking everywhere lol. Maybe brain was too burnt out on since I was practicing a lot with Daz 3d and renpy.

And it was set on CPU before :coldsweat: on both photoreal and interactive device. before it took me about 40-50 minutes for render, now it took me like 3 minutes :eazyHype:

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Yeah you're welcome :) It's set to CPU as standard :D Well 3 minutes... that's nice :D My laptop has just a GT 520 MX as you can see on the screenshots so that won't be faster than rendering with my i7 at home ;D
The crappy image I have as an avatar took me about 5 Days in 1080p ;) (yeah you won't find any pixelation or anything on that render anymore though :p )

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
Well I know that if I did 1080p render it would take much longer than 3 minutes for sure and it also depends on how many things you have in the scene but what annoyed me was that the render I did (can't remember the settings) weren't that good and the fact that it took so long to render a crappy quality basically made it impossible to work with if I wanted to create quality stuff.

Damn.. it took you 5 days?? Well I can already see that most time will spent on rendering,posing, creating map etc when creating my game :'(

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Yeah well, like I said it's an old i7 that did all the rendering ;) So with a 1060 that render would've been done in about an hour max. ;) Since it actually is just 1 HDRI 2 figures with clotes hair and makeup and 3 spotlights. So nothing that should take as long to render as it did with my machine........ ;)

Edit: Just try it out a bit, you'll have to temper with the render settings, so it gets faster and better in quality and you'll also need a good light setup else it will take forever to render and end up being a shitty image with high pixelation and so on ;)

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
yeah I'm just trying a bunch of renders with different settings. This is what I got from doing FHD 1920 x 1080 preset.

I'm playing with the pixel filter atm, the image I attached has pixel filter set to mitchel (pixel filter radius at 1.10).
I'm happy with this result, its decent but you know any tricks or settings that might make it better or sharper?
Thanks man you been a lot of help and ill try not to bother you anymore after this one lol.

oh and the attached image took about 45 minutes, so I'm happy its not like 5 days or anything :eek:penedeyewink:

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
I usually leave the pixel filter alone :D I have it on gaussian with standard settings.... It usually doesn't pixelate if you have the lighting set up right.... It's either because of the pixelfilter or your camera has DoF enabled....
Check the "Scene" Panel (right side) and click on the camera, then check below the scene tab in the parameters panel if there is depth of field enabled in the "Camera" settings:

Zwischenablage01.jpg

p.S.: Also you're not bothering me ;) We're here to get help and help each other as good as we can ;) So yeah, if I can help you with something and I have the time for it I'll do it, else I'm just not answering :p

Edit: And sorry for these small screenshots and the compressed interface, my laptop is only 720p ;)

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
Much better! This is what it looks like turning the DOF off, I honestly thought DOF would make it better lol.
Also set the filter settings to standard, the reason why I changed it before was that I was getting this sort of blur effect so I tried the whole pixel filter: mitchel etc(as one of the Daz forums suggested) and it did make it better but still not as sharp.

I guess it was the sneaky DOF :coldsweat:..

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
:) Yeah well DoF does make an image look more realistic or well it's making it look more like a real photo though. BUT to use DOF you have to set it up correctly :) Try googling how to setup DoF in DAZ3D :) Can't make a tutorial atm sorry :)

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
dw about making a tutorial lol, I'm sure I'll find it easily on google and daz forums. Cheers

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
GTX 1060 3gb or 6gb one?

Recommend max out resolution to 1280x720 on renders

If it's the 3gb card set renders to render for memory

6gb can set for speed

also, filters will add time to render and you can do most things with Photoshop filters and it's much faster

Reactions: Palanto