MarsUltor

Aug 2, 2018
Have all of the Holiday Island fans, along with our illustrious developer, darkhound1, gone into Witness Protection?? ;)
FWIW, I don't think I can remember a time when we have gone this long (nearly 48 hours) without ANY posts. It's kinda freaky, and I'm going through withdrawals...

mysterio420

Jul 28, 2021
im currently running a slightly outdated version and plan on updating, how do i update my game and keep my progress?

BDMick

Nov 26, 2017
im currently running a slightly outdated version and plan on updating, how do i update my game and keep my progress?
This is how I proceed as a Windows user:
  • Download the game
  • Extract the content to a new folder, not the old game folder
  • Inside the old game's folder, go to the directory \game\saves\
  • Copy all files with the extension .save to the same folder in the new game location (create it if it is not there). Do not copy the file "persistent" as you will probably not be able to start the game if you do.
  • Start the new version of Holiday Island and check whether the transferred saves are found.
If you cannot find the old saves in said location, you can check if they are in the following folder:
c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\Island-<some number>\

When I am certain that everything works as expected, I delete the old version of the game.

In any case, I keep a zip of the old save files on an external hard drive. So if anything goes wrong, you can still recover your game later.

Last edited:

ZenGarden

Oct 1, 2017
This is how I proceed as a Windows user:
  • Download the game
  • Extract the content to a new folder, not the old game folder
  • Inside the old game's folder, go to the directory \game\saves\
  • Copy all files with the extension .save to the same folder in the new game location (create it if it is not there). Do not copy the file "persistent" as you will probably not be able to start the game if you do.
  • Start the new version of Holiday Island and check whether the transferred saves are found.
If you cannot find the old saves in said location, you can check if they are in the following folder:
c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\Island-<some number>\

When I am certain that everything works as expected, I delete the old version of the game.

In any case, I keep a zip of the old save files on an external hard drive. So if anything goes wrong, you can still recover your game later.
This is really good advice, but due to the recent persistent file issues: Have you had to remove the persistent file in the %appdata% location when doing this? If NOT, this may be the best migration plan to date.

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
Have all of the Holiday Island fans, along with our illustrious developer, darkhound1, gone into Witness Protection?? ;)

FWIW, I don't think I can remember a time when we have gone this long (nearly 48 hours) without ANY posts. It's kinda freaky, and I'm going through withdrawals...
Unusual yes, but also not entirely uncommon.
Various reasons for it, but for the forum part it boils down to,

The age means that most things are described in detail, answers or support for everything are established or available, most discussions have been settled (some passing noise excepted).

So there is not much filler chat.

To which should be added that the more mature sandbox leads to longer release cycles, which in turn means fewer boom/bust events in the forum.

So there is less of that too.

Personally I see it as a transitory phase, where the old regulars and their content cycle still reign but pressure of the ever more sophisticated "specials" and more importantly their learnings is increasingly visible.

I reckon there'll be plenty to talk about there in the future.

AmelRose

Sep 30, 2019
So i've done pretty much everything I could do, and I just finished with the whole lab thing, and I have two questions:

1- Is the lab the last of the "story" and I have to wait to future updates to figure out what happens with the twins and why i'm on the island.

2- Can I go back to the lab because I still have quests about it?

BDMick

Nov 26, 2017
This is really good advice, but due to the recent persistent file issues: Have you had to remove the persistent file in the %appdata% location when doing this? If NOT, this may be the best migration plan to date.
Thanks.
I never had an issue with the "persistent" file. I only saw the reports here that it can cause trouble and the solution. Therefore I recommended to not copy it to the game folder.
I think I always only copied the .save files. Maybe that saved me from the problems reported by others. So no, I never deleted it from the %appdata% location.

ps.: It seems I lost my newbie status with this post after nearly four years. A reason to thank the developer, Darkhound, again for this awesome game and everyone around here for the help I received and that you all give. Thanks!

Last edited:

Monsieur X

Engaged Member
May 26, 2018
So i've done pretty much everything I could do, and I just finished with the whole lab thing, and I have two questions:

1- Is the lab the last of the "story" and I have to wait to future updates to figure out what happens with the twins and why i'm on the island.

2- Can I go back to the lab because I still have quests about it?
1: you will have to wait for future updates
2: you can't go back to the lab, if you didn't unlocked all available scenes, you may have to load a previous save and redo the lab part.

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
I don't think I can remember a time when we have gone this long (nearly 48 hours) without ANY posts. It's kinda freaky, and I'm going through withdrawals...
Patience grasshopper.
I clearly forgot that 'good things come to those who wait' . . .
I don't know if I'd call it good, but it's almost time for the
"When is the next update going to be released?" posts to start.

For anyone who wants to know, I personally guarantee with all of my authority that the next update will be out
by the end of September.

However, if someone quotes this post, complains, or asks about the update,
then the update will be delayed by a month.

teuni67

Apr 14, 2020
I don't know if I'd call it good, but it's almost time for the
"When is the next update going to be released?" posts to start.

For anyone who wants to know, I personally guarantee with all of my authority that the next update will be out
by the end of September.

However, if someone quotes this post, complains, or asks about the update,
then the update will be delayed by a month.
Oh very nice, thats a very nice info. Thanks a lot
greetings

Reactions: Puppet Master

RosX

Aug 18, 2018
Hello guys! How to properly use beauty cream? It says that it increases the attractiveness permanently, but nothing happens.

junior366

Jun 20, 2017
Hello guys! How to properly use beauty cream? It says that it increases the attractiveness permanently, but nothing happens.
Directly from the guide " The Cream you use once a day. Think of it like a vitamin. Eventually your looks will go up. "

Reactions: Bantry
4.10 star(s) 219 Votes