MrD812

Oct 24, 2021
I get that a lot of people see it that way (an "Achievement" hunting game) and play it accordingly. Honestly, I think that is the source of a significant amount of the frustration expressed in some of the posts in this thread. I don't think it has to be that way, but everyone is free to play the game using whatever approach and strategy they see fit, or not play it at all if it isn't their cup of tea.

Personally, I focus on the largely non-linear sandbox nature of the game and play it using a "go with the flow" approach, periodically repeating elements that I particularly enjoy, and accumulating achievements as I go. Consequently, I believe it has taken me longer than many other players to collect all of the achievements (which doesn't matter to me; it's not a race), and as I have gotten down to the last few achievements for me, I have "hunted" specific achievements, but still in the context of "go with the flow". It really doesn't have to be grindy unless players choose to play it that way.
Both You and Junior appreciate the exact style of game play i prefer most of all.
Starting most game play or any test run for myself.
All to often find myself focused on getting what ever avatar, character, MC up to spec in stats needed.

It's a habit inherent possibly from to many years PC-gaming. :LOL:
Finding ways outside of meta can be addictive at times.
Chill game play, is definitely more enjoyable. (y)

zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
Welp, I've completed all the achievements but it seems like I'm missing some of these scenes. I've tried many ways but still can't complete them, I hope it's just a visual bug and will get fixed in the near future.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Am I right that Yvette also should be in this series with sexting 11/14?

MarsUltor

Aug 2, 2018
Both You and Junior appreciate the exact style of game play i prefer most of all.
Starting most game play or any test run for myself.
All to often find myself focused on getting what ever avatar, character, MC up to spec in stats needed.

It's a habit inherent possibly from to many years PC-gaming. :LOL:
Finding ways outside of meta can be addictive at times.
Chill game play, is definitely more enjoyable. (y)
Well said.

Okay... true confession time. Several years ago, when Nintendo Wii was relatively new, it shipped with a game called Endless Ocean. I loved that game. It had a general storyline but was very non-linear, and had achievements (find a unique albino Blue Whale, and encounter and identify various marine life species), and I suppose I could focus on completing those as quickly, completely, and efficiently as possible, or I could (and did) just "go with the flow" and enjoy the immersive graphics and the Hayley Westenra music. This has generally been the approach I've used with Holiday Island (where the "wildlife" is considerably more stimulating...).

MrD812

Oct 24, 2021
Well said.

Okay... true confession time. Several years ago, when Nintendo Wii was relatively new, it shipped with a game called Endless Ocean. I loved that game. It had a general storyline but was very non-linear, and had achievements (find a unique albino Blue Whale, and encounter and identify various marine life species), and I suppose I could focus on completing those as quickly, completely, and efficiently as possible, or I could (and did) just "go with the flow" and enjoy the immersive graphics and the Hayley Westenra music. This has generally been the approach I've used with Holiday Island (where the "wildlife" is considerably more stimulating...).
Sounds like good time memories, indeed! (y)
Reminds me of Metriod days on Nintendo.
Then later, custom player made maps of Unreal Tournament.

AVN's for me, music and writing do it most.
Visuals are a big plus, especially but not exclusively when done well.
Those that are games, depends on player-mechanics combined.

However, even when it's not something i prefer and not to extreme.
Will still test some of them thoroughly as i'm able.
Can stumble on different perspectives that are at times enlightening.

Know many in person i can share/promote/suggest games/VN's/Dev's.
Helps when asked, to have first hand knowledge.
Can't suggest a car or motorcycle i've never test drivin' ;)

Thank You, Appreciate You Sharing(y)

Reactions: MarsUltor

wordwaster

Mar 30, 2018
So I just got to the lab. It's long and disappointing and boring. But that isn't why I am posting. That robot voice. It is LOUD. The volume controls in preferences do nothing. I tried turning all the volume sliders down. I tried "mute all". I have set the volume on my volume mixer literally to 1. It is STILL too loud. It is insane. How do I fix this? I am going to just mute the game in the mixer now, but this cannot be something that is working as intended.

Edit: ok. This is not cool. I muted the game in game and I muted the game in my pc volume controls, but the voice is STILL there and still crazy loud. WTH?!?

Reactions: Eduardo Gutierrez

Patpong

Jun 11, 2018
Every release I'm hoping for a 'Jennifer' update... sob sob sob

I'd contribute to Patreon for some influence but I have a bad history with the site - every game I back ends up getting abandoned or banned. I'm jinxed!

zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
The question assumes that everyone writes shit.
Although it might be a valid enough assumption in general, it is not the case here.
You can believe what you read :)

Companion mod for Holiday Island 0.3.1.x and later
I recognize your feeling. But you are lucky that you are the only quality control and management that decides when HI is ready to ship. Probably not so in your professional life where management decides to ship on a pre-scheduled date, ready or not. I see that often happen in my professional life that code is shipped when it is known not to be ready for that. Just so management can say 'we shipped on schedule'. That what is shipped is shit is only visible to the actual users. And this happens not just to smaller outfits, but the really big Fortune500 companies too. Everybody reading can think of his favorite company name for this. <rant/>

tiny E

Mar 24, 2022
Is there a link for the guide 3.2.x and later?
I just see ones for the game.
I might be looking right at it.

Last edited:

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017

On an Island, Somewhere in the Pacific ...

We All Have Problems

(***disclaimer***)
( This is FAN FICTION / FAN EDITED and no way represents any actual story from the game )
(Any similarity to any future story-line is coincidental)

4.10 star(s) 219 Votes