Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
Could Favor be used to get a girl to do something even though she's angry?
Maybe Favor should be replaced and poker, rubbing sun tan lotion, giving gifts be part of earning hearts.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
@duckswimming
I though I explained it better what I am trying to do.
What I am thinking about is not a drastic change. It will still use most of the old code in the background.
The longer I wait to change it, the more time it's gonna take.
Right now, the scenes are a mess as far as requirements are concerned. There is no consistent logic behind it. One day it did it with little requirements, another day with a lot higher for something that is similar.
Reducing the number of "levels" for affection/love/anger to 6 (0 included) will be even easier to understand than the 0 to 100 value range.
Right now each check requires a lot of code, that's the reason why what you are suggesting about the anger (which is already implemented btw) is only done in some places.
I don't like the idea to use anger to cap certain other attributes. I've thought about it before and discarded it for different reasons.

What you suggest anger could be used for sounds fun. I think I will add some of that to one of the next versions :)

The new framework I'm thinking about should be better and more flexible in almost all ways.
  • use the girls character type(s) to influence checks (is partially done already)
  • define expandable sets of checks for certain circumstance:
    e.g. a list of objects that include the checks: anger, affection, love, lust, influence of charm, looks mabye
    Each one gets a name: e.g. "basic action": anger <= 4, affection >= 1, love >= 0, lust >= 0
    The check is a method of the girl class. To execute it, all I have to do is $ char1.execute_check("basic_action")
    It would even be possible to have whole check sequences with OR, so e.g. (love >= 3 and lust >= 3) OR (love >= 4 and lust >= 2)
  • these sets will be reused and linked to each achievemet. So you can know what the requirements are exactly and maybe even display them
  • this would allow to have different difficulty settings without much trouble
  • it would also allow to change requirements in general for all similar scenes/events, without having to adjust 50+ places in the code
I know this will be a lot of work initially, but it should be possible to even work with a mix of old and new check logic for some time, until all scenes/events have been adjusted.
Using the 5 hearts (or other symbols for affection, etc.) instead of a 0 to 100 range is just a simple translation and could be replaced where it is displayed only.

Another option would be to only replace the logic and not switch from the 0 to 100 bars to hearts.
With the hearts, I would have to find a good way to integrate/match it with the existing UI without making it look out of place.
So maybe this would be a viable option.

TwilightStorm

Game Developer
May 24, 2018
Please don't encourage obstacles and difficulty :censored:
No, it wasn't difficulty in my mind but a new lead.
I don't know if @darkhound1 find this hard in future developing but...

In real life a girl/boy that gets some fillings (lets say love 40 of 100 in game) a jealousy event, that I described, increase anger that it can be decreased the following day or even gets to zero after 1-2 days but increase also love (lets say from 40 to 50)

If this increment happens with a jealousy flag==true a new scene is about to perform and different from girl to girl.
Girls "addicted" to love 1547586792946.png

might be more "bitchy" and do sex scenes, when others could make insult scenes that leads if the MC behaves correct, to more passionate sex scenes or even love, to zero point in case MC behavior is not that good for them, with a jealousy message to the player, either a serious one! (another scene perhaps?)

I know all this is a big amount of scripting and rendering but...

That's my thought of jealousy in games, game-play and I think that it's far away from make this game difficult.

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
so ive been trying to play this game but im getting this after the airplace scene.
Another one that cannot read. Your attached pic is worthless as it doesn't provide the entire error report. However, if you bothered to read it, you would see at the bottom where it says, you are trying to play version 0.1.3.2 instead of 0.1.3.3. In simplest language, you didn't install the game and its updates correctly.

Now you have two options.
1) Go back and read the install instructions and follow them completely.
2)Wait until tomorrow, 1/16 when version 0.1.4.0 will be released.

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
@duckswimming
I though I explained it better what I am trying to do.
What I am thinking about is not a drastic change. It will still use most of the old code in the background.
I have read it again and you did explain it,
- What I have in mind is to kinda keep the old system in the background & Keep the values as they are now in the background

Cannot really be misunderstood, but well ... guess I managed that anyway :(
So I'd like to thank you for taking the time to clear it up.

Given the current is more inconsistent than is wished for, extending a framework over/on it, sounds like a good idea.

The explanation post offers a very clear and solid idea (as always) on the execution you intend of the framework and there have been thought a lot of things into it (code reuse, better linking, changes can be done in one place, in addition to the benefits of improve the player experience of the game).

Given the game is large and from the looks of it will be much larger still, getting a better framework in that uses and modifies the old basis and allows more, sounds like a good investment.

Pleased to hear that the anger parts (of my wall of text) might be of some use :)

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
Some interesting ideas put forth by various members with regards to stats, emotions, etc. Thank you @darkhound1 for sharing your thoughts and visions as to where the game may be headed. I'm going to wait until 0.1.4.0 is released and I experience the new play room and other new things within the update before commenting.

Reactions: junior366

jikorde

Mar 4, 2018
  • Change the anger attribute into more of an anger/jealousy attribute. This will give additional options. E.g. if three girls are at the pool and you pick one to swim with her. The other 2 "remember" they were not picked. If a girl isn't picked xx times, she gets angry/jealous. Once you pick her, it will be reset. The level could be different for each girl. E.g. Yvette doesn't get angry/jealous so easy. She is not the type. While Eva will do so quite fast.
I don't think that would be an enjoyable change. That just sounds like an extra layer of busy work in keeping the island happy and balanced over the already existing stuff. If you did it for contests(which level of love should contests stop boosting love at in the new system? 4?) maybe it could work as part of the bigger event thing, but you do a bunch of things everyday. Having jealousy on top of how many things you do is just an extra thing to track that kind of dictates which girls you need to prioritize through any given day.

In your example, I would end up shipping Eve off the island as soon as possible to not deal with her constant jealousy, because I don't want to track it and I need to interact with other girls to raise their stats. Or I would just leave when I see her waiting in a location with other girls so that I don't raise more jealousy points.

I just don't think it sounds like a positive addition.

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
A level 3 Hack might track the jealousy for you. I suggested that the outline of the girl's pic would change from black to red if she needed attention (hugging & kissing) or her love and affection would go down.
How about if she was jealous, then the outline would turn green? Then there would be a warning so you'd know to not have her around when you're kissing other girls.
Also, if she starts to get jealous, she could leave on her own. Then you could kiss the other girls while she was away.

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
This may not fit in with Darkhound1's changes to the stat system, but Looks could affect how much Lust a girl receives when kissed, say Looks + Charm.

titmanassguy

Jan 18, 2018
I'm going crazy here. I can't get the sex on the beach with Heather and Jessica and I do everything right.

Both Jessica and Hather are on the beach with no one else.
30 minutes later they are still alone on the beach.
They are wearing skimpy bikinis.
All stats are max except anger (which is 0).
I walk with Heather, stare at her cleavage, compliment her and she poses for me.
I pick the two choices multiple times but neither work.

What am I doing wrong? It is the only scene for those two girls I didn't see yet.

The only thing I find strange is that when I walk with Jessica, I don't have choices to look at her cleavage or sneak peek at it. The whole walk is a single talk without choices.
Had the same issues as you, finally got it to setup with Heather on the beach and not Jessica, but Jessica was there 30 mins later and it worked. Not sure of that's needed for it to work, but that's how I got it to work

jikorde

Mar 4, 2018
A level 3 Hack might track the jealousy for you. I suggested that the outline of the girl's pic would change from black to red if she needed attention (hugging & kissing) or her love and affection would go down.
How about if she was jealous, then the outline would turn green? Then there would be a warning so you'd know to not have her around when you're kissing other girls.
Also, if she starts to get jealous, she could leave on her own. Then you could kiss the other girls while she was away.
None of this fixes my issue with such a system. The fact that it is dictating how I play and punishing me if I don't follow the rules bothers me. Right now the rule is a simple interact with everyone once a day or their stuff falls. That's simple, doesn't require to much tracking, and its easy to repair since anger isn't a factor. Once you add anger into this you are requiring HI, which you already don't get enough of, to fix your mistakes because you are not playing how the game wants you to play.

The images turning colors would work if/when the system is added to a degree. But then as I said, I'll just start avoiding the girl outright or be forced to interact with her, which yes isn't a huge deal. But its forcing me to play the game a certain way, which is my issue. I guess it would depend on the number of interactions that trigger it, as any single digit number would feel far to low, and honestly jealousy shouldn't even be a thing until the girl has actual numbers in love/affection. Having a girl without any love feel jealous because someone she doesn't really care for isn't paying attention to her is silly, and really petty.

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE

In a few short hours 0.1.4.0 will be released. Now to each their own and this is NOT required, but you might want to consider doing a clean install.

First off, via File Explorer, find the folder where you have Holiday Island 0.1.3.3 installed. Within that folder will be a folder named 'game'. Within that folder will be a folder named 'saves'. Copy that folder and save it some where else where you can find it again. I copy and save mine to another hard drive, but your desktop, a USB stick, A floppy disc, doesn't matter as long as you know where it is and as long as it is separate and you can find it again. Now you can delete the folder Holiday Island 0.1.3.3.

Now using File Explorer again, look on your 'C' drive (usually the main hard drive) and find the folder 'User'. Within that folder will be a folder with your name. Within that folder will be a folder named 'AppData'. This is usually a hidden folder so you might have to turn on Hidden Files/Folders. Google or use Windows Help to learn how to do this if you don't know. Now within the 'AppData' folder will be a folder named 'Roaming' and within that one will be a folder named 'RenPy'. Lastly within "RenPy' will be a folder named 'Island - #########'. Your numbers may be different than mine. Delete that folder.

Congratulations, you are now ready to do a clean install of Holiday Island 0.1.4.0. Follow the install instructions and then copy your 'saves' folder that you originally saved into the 'game' folder of the new install and you are ready to go!

Cicero72

Feb 27, 2018
The recent discussions on game development have been impressive. I tried this game a few times but had trouble developing a connection with the characters. The grind would overtake my interest. I was impressed to hear that more VN like story qualities would be added to an already impressive sandbox game.

There was some talk about the anger stat. I suggest substituting jealousy entirely. As I see it, anger only serves as a barrier. Players will work hard to avoid it. Not really a selling point. Jealousy could serve as a barrier, but also provide other positive creative opportunities.

Finally I'm a big fan of penetrative vaginal sex. Never seem to get bored of it. Voyerism and other forms of sex are appetizers. I haven't played for awhile and I know this game has vaginal sex, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that it's a low percentage against other sexy-time activities. Assuming this is the case, I'll suggest an increase.

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
Finally I'm a big fan of penetrative vaginal sex. Never seem to get bored of it. Voyeurism and other forms of sex are appetizers. I haven't played for awhile and I know this game has vaginal sex, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that it's a low percentage against other sexy-time activities. Assuming this is the case, I'll suggest an increase.
Interesting thoughts on jealousy vs. anger which I agree with. You might be surprised as to how much vaginal sex is in the game if you haven't played in awhile. There are now 15 girls on the island not counting the help or other support characters. You can sleep or have vaginal sex with almost half of them. That count may change with tomorrow's update. I would also suggest downloading and installing the approved mod which can really help reduce the grind and it offers great hints on how to complete all the scenes, events, appointments, etc.

Reactions: Cicero72

jikorde

Mar 4, 2018
Finally I'm a big fan of penetrative vaginal sex. Never seem to get bored of it. Voyerism and other forms of sex are appetizers. I haven't played for awhile and I know this game has vaginal sex, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that it's a low percentage against other sexy-time activities. Assuming this is the case, I'll suggest an increase.
So I enjoy tracking these kinds of things for games at complete random. There is currently 20~ vaginal scenes in the game. Counting every non penetrative sex scene, we get 33~, though I am counting a few scenes in both groups and some scenes twice because the girls share them. So not a low percentage. Foreplay is winning out, which for me at least is a plus as I actually enjoy that more in general as it feels like you can get more creative.

This is only counting actual sex scenes and not sexts or scenes where the girl gets naked and then leaves, like poker. There's far to much of that.

partanen

Selectively Active Member
Uploader
Donor
Sep 13, 2017
There's cure for that nowadays, you should know it: Those little blue pills heal that floppiness temporarily...

Reactions: Bantry

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
True, true. I would have said burn it to a disc, but that raises the whole discussion of what format. DVD, DVDR, Blu-Ray, CD, CDR, etc.

4.10 star(s) 219 Votes