Jul 26, 2017
My god ... the map is bad
the game look intersting but i don't undertant anythink about the map

Azope

Jul 26, 2017
Just to show with one map
look hgameartman

1711576577607.png

You have so many door event that make the game lack and you cannot avoid to tp into the room just by pass by

Just with a litle change like that
1711576683734.png

No more door and you could go talk to the png if you want the game work better

Door could be usefull but not everywhere
( for exemple for class it a good idea but i don't think it usefull here )

Last edited:

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Just to show with one map
look hgameartman

View attachment 3484101

You have so many door event that make the game lack and you cannot avoid to tp into the room just by pass by

Just with a litle change like that
View attachment 3484105

No more door and you could go talk to the png if you want the game work better

Door could be usefull but not everywhere
( for exemple for class it a good idea but i don't think it usefull here )
I do see what you mean there, but the game doesn't use the grid for setting event positions on its own, all the doors are offset by 40 pixels (out of 48 pixels for the square) making them take up very little space in the hallway despite how it may look in the editor.

game_dF9KTZPEzx.png

The red here shows the hitboxes of the doors and the sign and how they are placed.

Your red hitbox (the space around your character's feet) has to overlap with the red against the wall to enter those doors, meaning you have to be hugging the walls tightly to enter any room without intending to.

Azope

Jul 26, 2017
I do see what you mean there, but the game doesn't use the grid for setting event positions on its own, all the doors are offset by 40 pixels (out of 48 pixels for the square) making them take up very little space in the hallway despite how it may look in the editor.

View attachment 3484305

The red here shows the hitboxes of the doors and the sign and how they are placed.

Your red hitbox (the space around your character's feet) has to overlap with the red against the wall to enter those doors, meaning you have to be hugging the walls tightly to enter any room without intending to.
I do not know why but i peronaly keep tp betwen room when i passe this road just hit the door hitbox make me tp

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
But what do you think of the idea to trash the door and use instead open road ? hgameartman
I'll have to look into some things first, I think with the area between those two doors in particular it's easy to overshoot and end up bouncing if you're at autosprint on and max speed and enter/exit one of them(and who isn't, I know I am in most games)

But at the same time that office in particular would feel very weird without a door because of the teacher's...later activities....

I'll have to do some reworking of that area in particular, but I'll probably keep the doors for certain offices at least, perhaps push out/modify the storage room or make other changes....

Please let me know any other areas that are causing issues. I've done a lot of playtesting to make sure paths are navigatable but new issues crop up all the time! (like one I found while taking that screenshot: Turns out Halloween costumed walking students aren't able to phase through you and can block you in if you upset their navigation by blocking their way in a certain area)

Azope

Jul 26, 2017
I'll have to look into some things first, I think with the area between those two doors in particular it's easy to overshoot and end up bouncing if you're at autosprint on and max speed and enter/exit one of them(and who isn't, I know I am in most games)

But at the same time that office in particular would feel very weird without a door because of the teacher's...later activities....

I'll have to do some reworking of that area in particular, but I'll probably keep the doors for certain offices at least, perhaps push out/modify the storage room or make other changes....
Over all the map are too big ( and empty) and too easy to lost
The path for going anywhere is unclear some path end withou any message

In most game you start with a small zone where the player could go and open more and more area
in this game it look like you have acces of all zone from the start and it could be bad when you go to a war zone without any warrning ( i explore and end up in a zone with enemy and i have no tuto on batle and no idea why i was not warn by a png or a text )
you have no help after i refuse to go to the club the first day i was tp to my room and no idea what to do

Azope

Jul 26, 2017

if you want door i think it would be better to do separet map insteat of a big one

somethink like that
1711584517999.png Insteat to have a look into the room you have only the coridor
it would have 2 avantage one is a clear path and
2 the map look less big empty
but that mean you need to add element to make it look alive

After you have the path just need to add personality

like this
1711584983977.png

And you end up with a more clear and less empty space

Just end up my second version your thinking about it ? hgameartman

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Over all the map are too big ( and empty) and too easy to lost
The path for going anywhere is unclear some path end withou any message

In most game you start with a small zone where the player could go and open more and more area
in this game it look like you have acces of all zone from the start and it could be bad when you go to a war zone without any warrning ( i explore and end up in a zone with enemy and i have no tuto on batle and no idea why i was not warn by a png or a text )
you have no help after i refuse to go to the club the first day i was tp to my room and no idea what to do
The tutorial covers the first 8ish days and guides you to different activities and areas, giving you information about potential clubs, jobs, and more in each area.

It also leads directly into a recommendations system around day 3 or so, which directly sends you to various jobs, clubs, or characters to spend time with if you're still having trouble with navigation after the tutorial.

The current update also expanded the new map, which should help navigation and more.

Under map(Beta) in the menu you should be given this screen.
game_Dp8FS32CtL.jpg

Which shows your current location from pretty much anywhere in the game.

If you click an area on the first floor (later it will be expanded to the other areas as well) then... game_wZl6lWAtPM.jpg

Area descriptions and possible activities! (in this case, the kitchen ptj starts there)

You can also return to the dorms from almost anywhere using the new map.

Azope

Jul 26, 2017
if you realy want to keep the door somethink like this could work

1711585809926.png
i think i have made some choice that broke the tuto because after classe i was tp withou any help

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower [v0.45] [HGameArtMan]

COMPRESSED:

Windows:
- - -

Dargondo

Mar 3, 2018
Oh wow, the time gap between reviews is concerning.
Most recent review is from this year (2024), and then the next most recent seems to be from 2022!
Has there just not been any updates in that time, or have people just been avoiding it because of the reviews?

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Oh wow, the time gap between reviews is concerning.
Most recent review is from this year (2024), and then the next most recent seems to be from 2022!
Has there just not been any updates in that time, or have people just been avoiding it because of the reviews?
It's far more liked on itch.io than here, with an average 4/5 review rating out of 30 ratings, with a solid 10 or so being more recent.

Constant monthly updates minus two months off at the end of last year after my brother died.

I think once my art improved though less people reviewed here for some reason.

I can say that this is a good game with great promise, but a big prerequisite is to reduce bugs and poor ergonomics.
Slowly working through issues and bugs and improving UI and UX, but I'm one person with a dayjob who works on this on weekends and updates like redoing the map is boring so I do them in parts along with more interesting stuff like redoing dungeons or adding the new slime scenes.

As an example of improved UX though, compare the new beta map with the old one! And the new map isn't even done yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dargondo

Star_glider

Jun 14, 2018
Do you have a subscribestar page? I categorically refuse to use patreon due to how it has treated content creators; in fact, patreon just recently burned yet another content creator I follow.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Do you have a subscribestar page? I categorically refuse to use patreon due to how it has treated content creators; in fact, patreon just recently burned yet another content creator I follow.
Not yet, the approval process takes forever. I tried to set one up last year and I think they forgot about its approval actually (or i just didn't do it right, that's possible too)

I will have one up at some point soon though, with patreon's latest hijinks it's probably a good idea.

Last edited:

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
V0.46.0 Release!
SlimeDuoConcentrateV1.gif

This update is mostly focused on finally fleshing out a bit of the underground waterway (for the first visit at least) and adding to the new recollections room, which will be in progress for quite a while as each scene takes me hours to transfer

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If you like what you see consider supporting the game on patreon here for early access to development builds!

We also have a subscribestar now, after patreon's latest.... decisions!

You can also check it out for free on itch.io HERE

Or download links here

- -

And now for a special announcement! Horny Mage Chronicles is coming soon to a steam near you!

Set in the far? future of Horny Mage Academy, Horny Mage Chronicles takes place after graduation, and from a new perspective, a poor farmer who lost everything to an evil succubi who attacked his home.

Join Anya, Olivia, Eillana and more as they train this young man in the mysterious art of sex magic so he can save his new home!

ppXXRsnvrv.png

Interested? Wishlist it on steam now to get updates for its release!

If you don't want to wait, development builds are available on both patreon/subscribestar and Itch.io!

2.70 star(s) 15 Votes