Horrible fps on Illusion games, crashes when using alternative d3d9.dll

Oct 23, 2019
Hello, i have a problem with lot of Illusion games that refuses to work even after using multiple d3d9 alternatives.
I tried many things, renaming the original to d3d9_alt.dll and keeping the other one, keeping the original with its original name and the other one renamed with _alt.
But nothing seems to work, the game either crashes or it still lag.

Isn't there a more recent fix that could work for all of their games?

Thanks!

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
d3d9_alt.dll

You have just changed the file name not the extension so its still an active dll you may be getting a conflict

try renaming to d3d9.alt. Alt is not a valid extension so it wont register in game as a dll

no guarantees it will work but worth a try

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
I'm pretty sure the installer has its own d3d dll so use that, if it lags, try updating your videocard driver. If it still lags, maybe your pc barely met the minimum spec. Or due to poor game engine development.

What's the title of your game anyway?

Oct 23, 2019
Every older Illusion games.
My pc is more than capable.

As far as i know, it is mostly because of the Windows 10 updates, other than downgrading to an older Win10 version or getting back to Win7 or even Win8, is there any way to fix that lag on these games?

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Well that's odd... I don't know the details of your pc specs so maybe, you should update your graphics card driver from it's official site, install the latest directx9, and hope for the best. I hope those game doesn't require older versions of .net or visual studio runtimes.

LOOL BOOBIES

Jun 5, 2018
I have the same problem and its the windows 10 itself even you update the nvidia or amd the os handles mainly the directx9 runtime they patched it since the windows 10 1809 version well have to wait for the next version to be released as it may help remedy the performance lost

Tovarishch69

Feb 10, 2019
i was having this problem with artificial academy 2, the .dll files dont solve the problem anymore because of windows updates, but, i did find a solution, it only works for AA2 tho, and it is changing the game renderer to opengl, that solved it for me, no dll files, problem is, as i mentioned above, its only for AA2 and u need to have AA2 unlimited installed to have the opengl renderer option available

Oct 23, 2019
i was having this problem with artificial academy 2, the .dll files dont solve the problem anymore because of windows updates, but, i did find a solution, it only works for AA2 tho, and it is changing the game renderer to opengl, that solved it for me, no dll files, problem is, as i mentioned above, its only for AA2 and u need to have AA2 unlimited installed to have the opengl renderer option available
Yes, i've learned about it already, but i'm trying to find a fix for the other games too.
But thanks nonetheless.

justinsnake800

Dec 17, 2019
I'm a little late, but I'm also getting this same problem on all of Illusion's old games. My laptop is more than enough to run these games but they run worse now than they did on my old, $220 laptop, which kinda sucks since I sorta prefer Illusion's old games tbh. Any help would be much obliged.

Reactions: Erosion Amagorosa

Erosion Amagorosa

Jun 5, 2020
I'm sending this late but, i upgrade my O.S from Win7 to Win10 then the FPS fall GREATLY and i can't play the game like before, someone knows how to fix the lag?? I'm having this problem with R4P3L4Y, AG3 and another games, my Hardware it's 4GB RAM, Intel Graphics, intel celeron

Slava333

Jun 1, 2017
Hi, :)
For All Games
Troubleshooting Frame Rate and Performance Issues

-
Fixed d3d9 From Illusion For Win10

-
Help Artificial Academy: Technical Help and other illusions games

-
Thread about video game problems Illusions games

RedXIV

Aug 31, 2020
Wow... Tried downloading so many d3d9.dll files, placing them in all folders, running in compatibility mode... Nothing is working... Any Ideas? i7, GTX960 Win10

sarahhell

Sep 11, 2020
i had a similar issue with SM2 Digi Mate. On my new Alienware R11 had like 1-2 FPS.
Tried some d3d9.dll's but either they didn't help or caused the game stuck in loading screen.
The cause was service called "nahimic" (part of the sound chip driver). Stopping the service did the job (sound still works but can't open any hardware setup).

So, there is chance you have any driver / service conflicting with the d3d9.dll.
Try stop some services maybe (if you don't what you are doing just stop service, not set to disable)

Now i can run SM2D with 20-100 FPS, but i still causes heavy load on the GUP

rambo50

Dec 17, 2017
any fix to the low fps for older illusion games on windows10 ?

"Fixed d3d9 From Illusion For Win10
" link is dead

eddieleon7pc

May 20, 2018
any fix to the low fps for older illusion games on windows10 ?

"Fixed d3d9 From Illusion For Win10
" link is dead
the page is still technically there , here is the new page

kthkguard3

May 16, 2021
I found the updated version for the d3d9.dll files for some older illusion games due to a windows update. I recommend you use chrome to translate the page and download/replace the necessary file. Hope this helps.
(more or less same above, link works at the time of this posting)

Reactions: Sebayer

Ykka

Jan 1, 2020
These DLL's and running the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode made it work for me perfectly tried so many things and didn't think I would actually find anything that worked
I Tired these for Real Play and it started working properly, thanks a bunch!

Ocean87

Aug 18, 2022
I´m having the same problem trying to play Happy End Trigger, anyone found a definitive solution?