3.80 star(s) 93 Votes

Siren

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Hah. Certainly much more toxic here than a couple months ago when I last visited this thread.

Anyways, wanted to clarify some stuff since a large number of critics seem to be here.

- Scammer-
This one's pretty humorous because when I started NSFW game design in 2017, I made it a goal to create a reputation of consistency and reliability as that was a common critique in the community. Come 2021 I think I've managed to release an update to a game atleast once every month (maybe missed 2/3 months?) while maintaining consistent communication through Patreon/Twitter.

I clarified the situation regarding the delay in House Chores and yet it all comes full circle and I'm seeing the word scammer tossed around. Can't win there, I guess.

-RPG Maker-
Understandably, many wonder why I chose RPG Maker as the engine for House Chores. During Alpha testing, I experimented with a couple engines:

Renpy - hated it. Too coding focused (I'm not a proficient coder by any means) and personal experience with Renpy games were troublesome. Hard crashes, incompatible saves, etc

Visual Novel Maker - mixed reaction. First couple updates used this engine and I grew to hate it for multiple reasons. Random crashes, sluggish engine, lack of community support

So why RPG Maker? It's the engine I know in & out. I was incredibly surprised to see how well a VN could actually run in this engine. It comes with limitations but the familiarity is a huge advantage for working efficiently & effectively. If you're dismissing the game solely for the engine, I mean, I'm not going to bed & plead that you play the game but I definitely encourage giving it a chance. It's pretty neat what this engine is capable of.

-Black Screen-
The biggest said issue with using RPGMaker. I added an option for Low Quality mode which cuts the animation in half (slightly choppier loop & no blinking). Seems to work so far. Sorry for those frustrated by that issue.

-Pacing-
Game's still a work in progress. A common complaint with games is they take too long to get to the action. If I go to the action soon, it's still an issue lol. Over time, I plan to add some CG & other things to help pad out each character's story a bit more and I've been tweaking some dialogue to help provide a bit more context to why things happen on Day 2 so fast.

I do want to avoid artificially stretching gameplay to the point where it becomes a literal chore so there's a sweet spot I'm still working to hit.

VN's are also very unexplored territory for me. I've played some as of late and feel I'm starting to 'get' the genre a bit better but obviously I have much work & improvement to go. I'll keep working to improve this!

-Multiple Games-
Understandably, a lot of people think I'm stretching myself thin working on multiple games at a time. I won't confirm or deny that but it is the work flow I prefer the most. When I started Town of Passion, the goal was monthly updates. I realized quick that that was going to be incredibly toxic. The artist needed significantly more time and I was stressing hard about it. So then I started working on Zombie's Retreat to help offset the wait time for art. And eventually, in the background, I started House Chores too. Could I work on just one game? Sure. Will I? Nah. It won't result in a specific game getting finished much faster.

(Someone recently also mentioned Anal scene. You're right, it's definitely not my thing but I'll likely add one anal scene at least in HC for the folks who enjoy that!)

This will probably be my last post on f95. A lot of positivity and support but also some pretty harsh & frequent negativity. A lot of critiques are pretty flat: "this game & dev are shit". Can't improve based off of garbage feedback like that and I'd rather not sort through it either. Regardless, big thank you to the people who are supportive and constructive! For my own mental consistency, being on here certainly won't help though so I'll be signing off. Much love!

Melihke

Apr 5, 2020
Hah. Certainly much more toxic here than a couple months ago when I last visited this thread.

Anyways, wanted to clarify some stuff since a large number of critics seem to be here.

- Scammer-
This one's pretty humorous because when I started NSFW game design in 2017, I made it a goal to create a reputation of consistency and reliability as that was a common critique in the community. Come 2021 I think I've managed to release an update to a game atleast once every month (maybe missed 2/3 months?) while maintaining consistent communication through Patreon/Twitter.

I clarified the situation regarding the delay in House Chores and yet it all comes full circle and I'm seeing the word scammer tossed around. Can't win there, I guess.

-RPG Maker-
Understandably, many wonder why I chose RPG Maker as the engine for House Chores. During Alpha testing, I experimented with a couple engines:

Renpy - hated it. Too coding focused (I'm not a proficient coder by any means) and personal experience with Renpy games were troublesome. Hard crashes, incompatible saves, etc

Visual Novel Maker - mixed reaction. First couple updates used this engine and I grew to hate it for multiple reasons. Random crashes, sluggish engine, lack of community support

So why RPG Maker? It's the engine I know in & out. I was incredibly surprised to see how well a VN could actually run in this engine. It comes with limitations but the familiarity is a huge advantage for working efficiently & effectively. If you're dismissing the game solely for the engine, I mean, I'm not going to bed & plead that you play the game but I definitely encourage giving it a chance. It's pretty neat what this engine is capable of.

-Black Screen-
The biggest said issue with using RPGMaker. I added an option for Low Quality mode which cuts the animation in half (slightly choppier loop & no blinking). Seems to work so far. Sorry for those frustrated by that issue.

-Pacing-
Game's still a work in progress. A common complaint with games is they take too long to get to the action. If I go to the action soon, it's still an issue lol. Over time, I plan to add some CG & other things to help pad out each character's story a bit more and I've been tweaking some dialogue to help provide a bit more context to why things happen on Day 2 so fast.

I do want to avoid artificially stretching gameplay to the point where it becomes a literal chore so there's a sweet spot I'm still working to hit.

VN's are also very unexplored territory for me. I've played some as of late and feel I'm starting to 'get' the genre a bit better but obviously I have much work & improvement to go. I'll keep working to improve this!

-Multiple Games-
Understandably, a lot of people think I'm stretching myself thin working on multiple games at a time. I won't confirm or deny that but it is the work flow I prefer the most. When I started Town of Passion, the goal was monthly updates. I realized quick that that was going to be incredibly toxic. The artist needed significantly more time and I was stressing hard about it. So then I started working on Zombie's Retreat to help offset the wait time for art. And eventually, in the background, I started House Chores too. Could I work on just one game? Sure. Will I? Nah. It won't result in a specific game getting finished much faster.

(Someone recently also mentioned Anal scene. You're right, it's definitely not my thing but I'll likely add one anal scene at least in HC for the folks who enjoy that!)

This will probably be my last post on f95. A lot of positivity and support but also some pretty harsh & frequent negativity. A lot of critiques are pretty flat: "this game & dev are shit". Can't improve based off of garbage feedback like that and I'd rather not sort through it either. Regardless, big thank you to the people who are supportive and constructive! For my own mental consistency, being on here certainly won't help though so I'll be signing off. Much love!
Friend no matter what u do haters gonna hate . But u shouldn't forget the community which always respect you and support you. Its true that there is some toxic comments but most of them dont know this game is a sideproject and the artist situation.
Long stroy short don't mind them do ur best . Personally i love HouseChores and waiting the new updates and hoping that this game won't stay at sideproject and become a big game like siblings Zombie's Retreat and Town of Passion . Have a nice day friend stay safe and healthy.

Feb 5, 2018
To address a common argument: No engine (really) is inherently bad. Engines like RenPy, RPGM and Unity get a bad rap because of how accessible they are, because they're entirely free, and because their logo shows up all over free titles made by very amateur developers. Neither is better than the other, neither is bad.

Amazing games have been made on Unity (Rust, Wasteland 2, Hearthstone, Kerbal Space Program), RPGM (like, hundreds), and on RenPy (Summertime Saga, Doki Doki Literature Club, and like 90% of games on this site). With that comes your slender game clones on Unity as well as buggy crash-prone VN games on RenPy. Stop judging games on the engine they use, it's entirely irrelevant, start judging them on their content and gameplay.

Also, having a low-range PC built ten years ago and playing early access games is your problem, not Unity.

lybs88

Oct 1, 2017
I have a feeling that some of the people complaining about this only want it so they can rip the CG´s out and just watch the screens without playing the actual game (lord I know I´m guilty of that, too). As far as I´m concerned, there is nothing wrong with Siren´s choice of software. MANY of the fucking problems with Renpy I haven´t encountered with Siren´s games - specifically corrupted data/save files which fucks up the old save files with new updates and the shit ton of bugs which forced the devs to bugfix the shit out of the game which then again fucks up the new save files. Hell, every single save file I have used for Siren´s games have worked with every update I´ve played and you don´t have to go through the hassle of putting persistant save files in two different places on your fucking hard drive.
Complain all you want, but renpy is NOT the superior software - it´s the poor man´s version of unity.

Last edited:

Deleted member 254042

Oct 20, 2017
I have a feeling that some of the people complaining about this only want it so they can rip the CG´s out and just watch the screens without playing the actual game (lord I know I´m guilty of that, too). As far as I´m concerned, there is nothing wrong with Siren´s choice of software. MANY of the fucking problems with Renpy I haven´t encountered with Siren´s games - specifically corrupted data/save files which fucks up the old save files with new update and the shit ton of bugs which forced the devs to bugfix the shit out of the game which then again fucks up the new save files. Hell, every single save file I have used for Siren´s games have worked with every update I´ve played and you don´t have to go through the hassle of putting persistant save files in two different places on your fucking hard drive.
Complain all you want, but renpy is NOT the superior software - it´s the poor man´s version of unity.
yeah and it is unfortunate siren would not be here anymore. Hope people will stop wanting(or forcing) to use renpy to any of game including myself :(..

Tensa Zangetsu1000

Engaged Member
Modder
Jan 16, 2018
Liked this game despite the side project unpredictable time releases (not having a pop), but could you tell us what is new for this 5.2 update please?
0.5.2 Changelog

-Added a little more dialogue with Linda on Day 1
-(Adds a bit more context to the pace of Day 1 & 2's events)

RocketSurgery

Sep 15, 2017
-RPG Maker-

Sure RPG Maker can be a little incontinent but if you used an engine you didn't know or was worse for development, development would be slower and lower quality. You made the right call; developers should use the right tool for the job, especially if your revenue is based on consistent quality releases.

lorenzo110

Jul 25, 2020

- Scammer-

-RPG Maker-

-Black Screen-

-Pacing-

-Multiple Games-

Greetings Siren, Thank you for being attentive to the fans of your game that are having difficulty with the black screen issue. The change you made seems to have resolved this issue for me. Keep up the excellent work. Your new game will no doubt be a fan favorite equal to Zombie Retreat, which I enjoyed as well.

Mosin Nagant

Feb 5, 2019
I have a problem in day 1. I can't do shit like playing games. Also I can't sleep or taking a shower. I'm talking to my maid 6 times. What the fk should I do?

DjSoul

Mar 29, 2018
Are there anymore tags that's going to be later? I want to play this cuz the art looks pretty good but im just curious where this story going to end. sorry for being picky btw.

felipons

Fluffy, The Destroyer of Worlds
Modder
Game Developer
Jan 15, 2018
Sure RPG Maker can be a little incontinent but if you used an engine you didn't know or was worse for development, development would be slower and lower quality. You made the right call; developers should use the right tool for the job, especially if your revenue is based on consistent quality releases.
I wouldn't say RPG Maker is the right tool for VN, but it sure is the easier for this dev so kudos for him.

- The only down-side I felt about this game was those game transitions, some of them unskipable and slow as heck, something you would never feel on Renpy.
- I missed the skip option, specially repeated conversations/scenes.
- And the speed of the text.
Damn I could have saved half of the time or more if I could skip right through everything.

Well I'm not the right guy to talk about all this as I'm a renpy defender and a rpgmaker hater.
Still I must say even with RPG Maker as a downside I loved the game.

Now for the main reason I came here, how many scenes there are?
I could only find these, I need to know if I missed something.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit: Now thinking back I believe my main problem with RPG Maker is that I never know if I missed something as I can't check the code with Unren.
Nor check the images when they are compacted with rpgmaker format (there probably is a tool to change those files back to png, but I'm fucking lazy)

Reactions: LaterGater

Gremory152

Aug 21, 2020
Not gonna lie was turn off by the RPGM tag, but after trying it out the gameplay it still feel like the old style. The new scenes look great, good job dev :D. I'm very happy, Thank you.

3.80 star(s) 93 Votes