How can I create my own QSP game?

Vlektron

May 29, 2017
Hello,

I would like to create my own game with the QSP engine. My question is, what kind of program do I need for this? Which programming language does this engine have?

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
QSP is special in terms of how it works . QSP is both the language and the player. QSP commands are directly connected to the player functionality in terms of where commands are displayed etc. The player has a set of frames and certain commands are used to work in one frame where others are working just in other frames.

As of programming it : Its more or less on the same level as BASIC or a simple script language like LUA etc. There is a programme called QGEN that works as an editor to build your game. Once you get more advanced you can as well just work in a regular notepad/notepad++ textfile and convert it later. Commands are very straight forward once you get the hang of it.

Himerios

Sep 27, 2018
Hey, I am also interested in creating a qsp game, to be more specific, something like: schoollife. I'm currently having trouble to figure out, what the developer(s?) did, to create unique NPC's and how to take control over them (change the protagonist). Does anyone know, how they did it?

lackeroose

Dec 8, 2021
QSP is special in terms of how it works . QSP is both the language and the player. QSP commands are directly connected to the player functionality in terms of where commands are displayed etc. The player has a set of frames and certain commands are used to work in one frame where others are working just in other frames.

As of programming it : Its more or less on the same level as BASIC or a simple script language like LUA etc. There is a programme called QGEN that works as an editor to build your game. Once you get more advanced you can as well just work in a regular notepad/notepad++ textfile and convert it later. Commands are very straight forward once you get the hang of it.

Know anywhere to find the english documentation ?

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Know anywhere to find the english documentation ?
There was never a proper English version of any of it. We translated the help-file for QGEN back when we made the first Mod for 'Girl Life' -can be found here. Same forum section also has the great splitter-tool made by Oiz . Very helpful once you decide to either code in Notepad++ or when you want to split the source into proper sections that can go into a Git.
That translation was both machine done and hand-corrected based on google-translated wiki info. The original wiki for QSP is and any half-decent translation programme like DeepL, Google/Bing Translate etc should help you along to be able to read it. Most of the wiki is actually the same as you find in the help-file except there are some more examples in the wiki. Most of the better knowledge I gathered for myself actually came from digging into the forum there since people tend to ask the same questions no matter what their native language is. You find a lot of nice examples for things there too.
The language itself is really no biggy if you understand any other programming language but the combination of a command to some pre-defined part of the player takes some time to get used to for many. You can use that feature or avoid it altogether but that comes with extra work then for other stuff. The player is basically a specialized form of a browser which is also the reason why many display commands are actually html. Original QSP used a special form of html4 implementation - Sonix's player got rid of that and allows to use proper html5 instead.