Ren'Py How do i speed up renpy game slowing down?.

Egai123

Jun 24, 2021
The game loads up and iplay for 10 minutes and start to slow down uploading images .i think its graphic issue . how do i change it to speed up.
Any bright tips?

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Which game are you talking about? Something you're playing or creating yourself?

It may be a specific coding issue.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
So I guess it's an issue you should ask about in the game thread instead, you may get better answers there.

One thing that could happen with Ren'Py is a build-up of image layers in the memory in case the dev is using a lot of show statements without a hide statement for each of them or an occasional scene statement that would clear up all the layers.
That would be a specific game issue.

Another is a possible memory leak. That would be a Ren'Py issue, specific to the version used by the game.

You could try to limit image cache size by setting define config.image_cache_size = 8 . Worked for me in another game.

or define config.image_cache_size_mb = 300 . By default the value is None and config.image_cache_size is used.

Egai123

Jun 24, 2021
So I guess it's an issue you should ask about in the game thread instead, you may get better answers there.

One thing that could happen with Ren'Py is a build-up of image layers in the memory in case the dev is using a lot of show statements without a hide statement for each of them or an occasional scene statement that would clear up all the layers.
That would be a specific game issue.

Another is a possible memory leak. That would be a Ren'Py issue, specific to the version used by the game.

You could try to limit image cache size by setting define config.image_cache_size = 8 . Worked for me in another game.

or define config.image_cache_size_mb = 300 . By default the value is None and config.image_cache_size is used.
Thanks .
One other option is the graphics .i had a similar issue a year two back and someone recommend to change graphics .
He advice me to chnge it by pressing Control or Alt key + a letter key together when you start the game. The graphics option pops up.
i forgot the keys so do you know the keys ?. it could help.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thanks .
One other option is the graphics .i had a similar issue a year two back and someone recommend to change graphics .
He advice me to chnge it by pressing Control or Alt key + a letter key together when you start the game. The graphics option pops up.
i forgot the keys so do you know the keys ?. it could help.
Shift+g opens graphics settings in-game.
Emergency option in case the game window won't even open is to hold Shift key while starting the game.