3.00 star(s) 2 Votes
Dec 1, 2021
I wonder how people make these text games, i wish i knew so i could try it out by myself, although my programing knowledge is pretty basic, i would say i am at least good enough at writing.

Varik8876

Sep 17, 2019
I wonder how people make these text games, i wish i knew so i could try it out by myself, although my programing knowledge is pretty basic, i would say i am at least good enough at writing.
Write the stuff, get any graphics ready or get place holders ready in the same sizes etc that the final image is going to be, then a what you see is what you get html editor, oh and a fair bit of time, though to be honest those html editors tend to pretty bloated for the html they produce or at least they used to be, an offline one is better but most seem to be online at present, then its just like you are building a web site with links and embeded sound and graphics, with variables added to take into account if certain things are done or not done and making sure that all the links actually point to the correct things, decent naming of images and sound files as well as organisation of them can help loads, with maybe each chapter so to speak being in its own directory and each page being also in its own directory depending of course on how much content there is going to be in each page/chapter.

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
It could be any amount of increase but the fact remains that if someone says it's more common you're not multiplying you're adding. Which also happens to be what increase means. So going from 0% to 10% is something becoming more common or an increase in your words.
If something does not exist and has never existed, then the concept of "commonness" does not apply to it at all.

Dodo birds, which are believed extict, are considered at least uncommon now. Wild camels in North America, are basically extirpated and at least uncommon (and importing more would just be re-introducing them to natural habitat, anyways). Tigers are at least uncommon in Eurasia.

"Superheroes", "Intelligent Shades of Blue", and similar things, simply do not exist anywhere and never have. There has *never* been any, ever, so giving them a "rate" within a population (like common or uncommon) is ridiculous as there is no way to begin to define and distinguish them by comparison to anything else.

And by saying they exist because they exist in imagination is ludicrous because they automatically become so populous that *everything else* in the rest of the universe becomes so rare (exceedingly uncommon) as to be considered virtually non-existent by *any* comparison.

So, if superheroes exist in our world as the game's Overview suggests, how "common" are they here, please? If they do not exist and never have existed then "common" never has and never will apply to them except as a literary metaphor.

e-d (y)

Reactions: LULZLUL

James Smith0003

Jul 5, 2018
If something does not exist and has never existed, then the concept of "commonness" does not apply to it at all.

Dodo birds, which are believed extict, are considered at least uncommon now. Wild camels in North America, are basically extirpated and at least uncommon (and importing more would just be re-introducing them to natural habitat, anyways). Tigers are at least uncommon in Eurasia.

"Superheroes", "Intelligent Shades of Blue", and similar things, simply do not exist anywhere and never have. There has *never* been any, ever, so giving them a "rate" within a population (like common or uncommon) is ridiculous as there is no way to begin to define and distinguish them by comparison to anything else.

And by saying they exist because they exist in imagination is ludicrous because they automatically become so populous that *everything else* in the rest of the universe becomes so rare (exceedingly uncommon) as to be considered virtually non-existent by *any* comparison.

So, if superheroes exist in our world as the game's Overview suggests, how "common" are they here, please? If they do not exist and never have existed then "common" never has and never will apply to them except as a literary metaphor.

e-d (y)
I was trying to be as ambiguous as I could be with that because I thought that it wouldn't really matter to people as its not important to the story. I didn't think there would be a debate over how many people with superpowers are there among the populous in the game. Still I guess I can world build a bit more, so let's do this.

Let's just say that 0.01% of the people in the game world have superpowers, the ones with them almost always become very popular from childhood. Even then there are some who have superpowers which are mostly useless, so they end up hiding the fact that they have powers and join the world as normal people.

Most people with superpowers become heroes or join a particular field that suits their powers i.e. researchers and/or business people with super intelligence (what the mc hides as), fire fighters with water related superpowers, etc.

If you have any more questions related to the game, please ask. I love doing things like this.

Reactions: e-disfunction
Dec 1, 2021
Write the stuff, get any graphics ready or get place holders ready in the same sizes etc that the final image is going to be, then a what you see is what you get html editor, oh and a fair bit of time, though to be honest those html editors tend to pretty bloated for the html they produce or at least they used to be, an offline one is better but most seem to be online at present, then its just like you are building a web site with links and embeded sound and graphics, with variables added to take into account if certain things are done or not done and making sure that all the links actually point to the correct things, decent naming of images and sound files as well as organisation of them can help loads, with maybe each chapter so to speak being in its own directory and each page being also in its own directory depending of course on how much content there is going to be in each page/chapter.
Thanks for trying to explain to my dumb brain man, although i am still confused so i will see some tutorials around, maybe...

Varik8876

Sep 17, 2019
Thanks for trying to explain to my dumb brain man, although i am still confused so i will see some tutorials around, maybe...
HTML is basically a website, with images and sounds and text as required, the various options you give the player are in effect either new pages or changes to the current page, with background variables being updated with each page refresh. As you progress the story so to speak the pages and background variables change, which then change the potential pages the player will see, for example page 1 the player has two choice option one give a blow job, option two refuse to do so.

if they choose option one to give the blow job the next page shows/describes the blowjob and adds a value to the players corruption value, how much depends on just how complex the corruption mechanics of the game will be, they now can no longer see option two as they choose to give the blow job.

If however they choose option two and refused to give the blowjob, then the corruption value may not increase but other values may depending on just what stats are assigned to the player, in this case the player will not be able to see option one nor any of the other potential paths that are unlocked by giving the blowjob at this point, a game like this is basically a load of branching options with various values assigned to it, and various images and sounds played or not played at the appropriate pages, just unlike most web pages going back is not really an option, though if there is some sort of save system in place then it may well be able to reload and start from that point onwards.

HTML is probably one of the easiest programming languages to learn, especially if you use a what you see is what you get editor rather than a true HTML editor, where you will not know just what your page actually looks like until you in effect upload and access it with a web browser.

Laxard

Sep 5, 2018
So, superpowers don't exist there either, huh? :unsure: (Nothing multiplied by whatever is still Nothing.)

e-d
There ARE superpowers, like exceptional memory (eidetic memory, photographic memory or others), "natural musical talent", intuitive mathematical ability, "enchantent senses", ability to wilingly control some parts of your body that supposed to be controlled automatically, ambidextry, "enchanted metabolism", "enchanted immune system", and even "enchanted bladder size".
We just don't consider them superpowers because we know they exist. But isn't it same for any other fictional world?

Last edited:

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
I was trying to be as ambiguous as I could be with that because I thought that it wouldn't really matter to people as its not important to the story. I didn't think there would be a debate over how many people with superpowers are there among the populous in the game. Still I guess I can world build a bit more, so let's do this.

Let's just say that 0.01% of the people in the game world have superpowers, the ones with them almost always become very popular from childhood. Even then there are some who have superpowers which are mostly useless, so they end up hiding the fact that they have powers and join the world as normal people.

Most people with superpowers become heroes or join a particular field that suits their powers i.e. researchers and/or business people with super intelligence (what the mc hides as), fire fighters with water related superpowers, etc.

If you have any more questions related to the game, please ask. I love doing things like this.
I agree with everything you've just mentioned and the context your statements are in. (y) I am happy with whatever percentage of superpowers are present in a fictional world (as long as it is consistent with the assumptions and rules of that world, etc.).

But I think you have the wrong idea of the misunderstanding I was replying to. I had stated (based on your Overview statement, "This story happens in a world where superpowers are a bit more common than in our own world") that the only conclusion was that there must be no superheroes in your fictional world as there are none in ours (as: Null × 1.nn = 0). The other F95 member (and perhaps yourself before this discussion, too) seemed to believe there was some superhero rate of commoness in our world rather than "they do not exist and never have".

(As an aside, your Overview would be infinitely more accurate if you said something like, "This story happens in a world where superpowers are very, very uncommon.") ("Infinitely" because even a total population of only 1 superhero—in your world—would be infinitely larger than the non-existent population rate of "never has been and never will be any" in our world.)

I hope that clears things up for you. :)

e-d

Last edited:
Reactions: LULZLUL and Laxard

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
There ARE superpowers, like exception memory (eidetic memory, photographic memory or others), "natural musical talent", intuitive mathematical ability, "enchantent senses", ability to wilingly control some parts of your body that supposed to be controlled automatically, ambidextry, "enchanted metabolism", "enchanted immune system", and even "enchanted bladder size".
We just don't consider them superpowers because we know they exist. But isn't it same for any other fictional world?
Unfortunately, everything you describe are *not* super-powers. They are simply natural aspects of humanity that occur in a normal distribution of the population. A larger-than-usual bladder size is *not* enchanted ... Enchanted is just a metaphor we use to describe our imaginative perception of that individual's bladder. Otherwise, if it was actually enchanted it would, indeed, be super-natural by definition! ;)

Consider that Batman is *not* a superhero because he has no super-natural powers! Everything he does is dependant on his physical training and the technological gadgets he uses.

Superman is a superhero and has super-natural powers—things he can actively and passively do that have no explanation in any world consistent with the physical properties of our universe.

Do those distinctions make sense?

e-d (y)

Reactions: LULZLUL

Laxard

Sep 5, 2018
Unfortunately, everything you describe are *not* super-powers. They are simply natural aspects of humanity that occur in a normal distribution of the population. A larger-than-usual bladder size is *not* enchanted ... Enchanted is just a metaphor we use to describe our imaginative perception of that individual's bladder. Otherwise, if it was actually enchanted it would, indeed, be super-natural by definition! ;)

Consider that Batman is *not* a superhero because he has no super-natural powers! Everything he does is dependant on his physical training and the technological gadgets he uses.

Superman is a superhero and has super-natural powers—things he can actively and passively do that have no explanation in any world consistent with the physical properties of our universe.

Do those distinctions make sense?

e-d (y)
I will argue that Batman himself claims that he isn't hero, despite being considered one by many people and technically he is a vigilante. So he can't be superhero becaupse he isn't hero.
Now, Lex Luthor (in most universes) doesn't have any superpowers outside of being genius in several fields (like Batman), he is major supervillian.

Actually, for many heroes and villians I often seen description of some "peak human" ability, not all of them ended up being "super" tier (poor deadshot) , but mad supergeniuses tend to end up here.

"Enchanted" means not only "magically affected" but also "seemingly magically affected". While in truth it's merely people being rare border cases, comparing to "average" their abilities can be unbelievable.

YaGuy

Jul 31, 2021
So what portion or percetage of the population do they make now, and how much of an increase was that? :geek:
e-d
P.S.: And because it might be necessary, what portion or percentage of the population of our own world do superpowers occupy now, please?
Nah dude people got superpowers now. Like people that can plug thr USB in first try and thos people with the rare conditions that don't feel pain

Laxard

Sep 5, 2018
Nah dude people got superpowers now. Like people that can plug thr USB in first try and thos people with the rare conditions that don't feel pain
USB Type-C is an attempt to artifically give that power to people.

Dec 1, 2021
There ARE superpowers, like exceptional memory (eidetic memory, photographic memory or others), "natural musical talent", intuitive mathematical ability, "enchantent senses", ability to wilingly control some parts of your body that supposed to be controlled automatically, ambidextry, "enchanted metabolism", "enchanted immune system", and even "enchanted bladder size".
There is this indian girl who was born with four arms and was worshipped as a reincarnation of their god, there was also this canadian girl who was born with two heads and this Ukranian guy who is immune to lung cancer.
Although is debatable if all these things can be seen as superpowers.

Datawungui

Aug 18, 2016
There is this indian girl who was born with four arms and was worshipped as a reincarnation of their god, there was also this canadian girl who was born with two heads and this Ukranian guy who is immune to lung cancer.
Although is debatable if all these things can be seen as superpowers.
There's also the guy who can run forever. They had him on that real life superheroes show. He ran behind the recording van for hours before the recording team had to wrap up, so he turned around and ran home. When they tested him in a lab, it turned out his body can clear lactic acid more efficiently than most. They tested his lactic acid levels before the test, then had him run for a while, then tested him again. His lactic acid levels were far below where they started. It was nuts.

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes