How to create dense male protagonist?

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
As a child the hero was abused and molested...... by his own mother, in those early days he didn't understand anything yet, it felt good and it was the only thought he was clearly aware of, but time went by and his understanding of life broadened. And so, one rainy night, with only the full moon illuminating the city streets with its bright light, he witnessed the preson he loved and hated most parting with her life under the wheels of a truck. Now in his late 20s (27-29) he lives in the same flat with the only family and loved one left in his life - his sweet and innocent younger sister, who is his daughter, born by his mother from him. He has no success with women, nor does he seek a relationship, because, after all the things he has done with his mother he feels too dirty, too defamed, too unworthy of something as pure as love. So his life went on in its course of work and domestic chores until he began to notice how his little sister had turned into a real woman and now he lives with only the horrible thought of what if he is just like his mother? What if he too wants to pluck this forbidden fruit?
...but then, his little sister turned out to be a whore who kissed a neighborhood boy underneath the family tree. The autistic MC goes into a rage.

"HOW! WHY, Little sister!? You were supposed to be pure..."

The sense of betrayal from his sister defiling her virgin body with a kiss from another boy was too much to bear. Isn't it common sense that family members are the posession of the MaN oF DA hOUsE? How could she do this to me? This fucking whore!

Fuming at the mouth, the MC starts breaking all the furniture in the house. Upon breaking his mother's dresser, a photo album falls to the floor. He finds something unimaginable. His mother and father, happily married. He comes to the unspeakable realization that his mother was not a virgin when she was molesting him. THAT WHORE!

The MC runs out into the street, naked, arms flailing about. He sees a bright light. Then it all goes dark.

-fin

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
...but then, his little sister turned out to be a whore who kissed a neighborhood boy underneath the family tree. The autistic MC goes into a rage.

"HOW! WHY, Little sister!? You were supposed to be pure..."

The sense of betrayal from his sister defiling her virgin body with a kiss from another boy was too much to bear. Isn't it common sense that family members are the possession of the MaN oF DA hOUsE? How could she do this to me? This fucking whore!

Fuming at the mouth, the MC starts breaking all the furniture in the house. Upon breaking his mother's dresser, a photo album falls to the floor. He finds something unimaginable. His mother and father, happily married. He comes to the unspeakable realization that his mother was not a virgin when she was molesting him. THAT WHORE!

The MC runs out into the street, naked, arms flailing about. He sees a bright light. Then it all goes dark.

-fin
A short sweet story. You kind of described most stories here if they were to take place in the real world without everyone being either plan dumb or Mc having Plot armor stronger than reality.

I thought of creating my own after getting bored of seeing the same basic infuriating troupes.

Last edited:

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
thanks everyone for feedback and ways to flesh out character, most of my hurdles in writing have been cleared up, i just need to work on creating scenes now, i just want to try out creating these games as just a way to make my ideas or own stories come to life a bit. well those of who might be wondering, it is just going to be a wholesome, happy and a learning journey of MC growing out of his trauma and finding people that care about him and gaining his self confidence again in realistic way. i didn't want to create something big or great just, something i just felt comfortable and at ease to write and create about.

i didn't expect my first post here to gain traction, and help people like me sort out ttheir thoughts, for me it was that mc was not going to be a dense( i thought), just a bit naive and recovering from ptsd .

my thought on dense character were related to the fact mc being oblivious to situation or interaction happening, but now that seems kind of dumb and not a way to go in terms of creating a character, as it removes all the inherit personalites from developing in story. MY TWO CENTS

Reactions: Bolingbroke

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
thanks everyone for feedback and ways to flesh out character, most of my hurdles in writing have been cleared up, i just need to work on creating scenes now, i just want to try out creating these games as just a way to make my ideas or own stories come to life a bit. well those of who might be wondering, it is just going to be a wholesome, happy and a learning journey of MC growing out of his trauma and finding people that care about him and gaining his self confidence again in realistic way. i didn't want to create something big or great just, something i just felt comfortable and at ease to write and create about.

i didn't expect my first post here to gain traction, and help people like me sort out ttheir thoughts, for me it was that mc was not going to be a dense( i thought), just a bit naive and recovering from ptsd .

my thought on dense character were related to the fact mc being oblivious to situation or interaction happening, but now that seems kind of dumb and not a way to go in terms of creating a character, as it removes all the inherit personalites from developing in story. MY TWO CENTS
I'm glad you found some inspiration from this pile of shitposts (mine included). Good luck dude haha.

Reactions: Forcion

Blaspheme

Oct 5, 2019
In Confession sexuelle d'un anonyme russe, a great novel who inspired Lolita by Nabokov, the MC is a normal guy, pretty shy, who has his first experience with an older girl, who understand this kind of things way better than he does.

As a result, he spend all his life "overplaying" the shy virgin guy, because he found out that girls like to take the matter in their own hands. As he grows, some kind of "wow factor" appears, and women want to "be his first". He's really not a bad guy; he just uses this move to overcome his shyness.

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
In Confession sexuelle d'un anonyme russe, a great novel who inspired Lolita by Nabokov, the MC is a normal guy, pretty shy, who has his first experience with an older girl, who understand this kind of things way better than he does.

As a result, he spend all his life "overplaying" the shy virgin guy, because he found out that girls like to take the matter in their own hands. As he grows, some kind of "wow factor" appears, and women want to "be his first". He's really not a bad guy; he just uses this move to overcome his shyness.
Thanks for the recommendation, I want to dig into the first one but as it turns out it doesn't have an English edition. and as the synopsis you gave suggest, I am going for that " girls like to take the matter in their own hand " something about that will just interest me to see their protective, caring and jealously side played out on a character that genuinely needs that. I am just not a fan of Mc actively using it as a manipulative thing, that story becomes a forced one, a natural flow that I want.

Reactions: Blaspheme

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
I'm glad you found some inspiration from this pile of shitposts (mine included). Good luck dude haha.
Your post wasn't a shitpost to me, kinda relieving of frustration in words from all the same story and character I have seen here.
like those same genres of incest with little to no variation and MC "actively" expecting everything to fall into his lap. I liked that the kissing part is also considered NTR.

Reactions: desmosome

claus001

Feb 15, 2020
First tip: don't base MC on you, what you see as good.

Regarding your question: you can make MC appear to be dense by playing settings is such a way that player understands what is going on, but MC won't. This sounds complicate, so a good example is to make him clumsy without MC realising that, but everybody else does but for reasons doesn't tell that to MC.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
Does any one have any tips to Flesh out the character, or avoid basic or common mistakes in writing for these characters ??
yes. avoid making him completely wholesome in the end. leave some flaws, those are the interesting parts creating internal conflict.

starting from him not understanding relationships is a great idea. working towards becoming wholesome is the opposite of interesting. or in other words: him TRYING to struggle towards 'being good' is a good idea, but it MUST be contrasted by him at least in some ways not succeeding in it. there should probably be a contradiction between what he sees himself as and what others see him as.

maybe think of michael douglas in 'falling down'. or thanos seeing himself as the savior of the universe. harvey dent in batman.

to stay interesting your MC should never fully get why others might not see him as 'good'. he should change in some ways on the way, but NOT in the way he intends.

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
yes. avoid making him completely wholesome in the end. leave some flaws, those are the interesting parts creating internal conflict.

starting from him not understanding relationships is a great idea. working towards becoming wholesome is the opposite of interesting. or in other words: him TRYING to struggle towards 'being good' is a good idea, but it MUST be contrasted by him at least in some ways not succeeding in it. there should probably be a contradiction between what he sees himself as and what others see him as.

maybe think of michael douglas in 'falling down'. or thanos seeing himself as the savior of the universe. harvey dent in batman.

to stay interesting your MC should never fully get why others might not see him as 'good'. he should change in some ways on the way, but NOT in the way he intends.
thanks for the advice, it might come in handy while working towards the ending.

My story center around wholesomeness, in the sense readers get to see the development of Mc from a guy with no experience to one becoming more experienced in life. I understand the Mc having Flaws is good and even natural, as my story has that from the get-go and working its way to Overcome them, not remove them.

I didn't think of Mc being the good guy or bad guy, he is just a human experiencing life, the difference being the only experience some fortunate and unfortunate experience.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
As a child the hero was abused and molested...... by his own mother, in those early days he didn't understand anything yet, it felt good and it was the only thought he was clearly aware of, but time went by and his understanding of life broadened. And so, one rainy night, with only the full moon illuminating the city streets with its bright light, he witnessed the preson he loved and hated most parting with her life under the wheels of a truck. Now in his late 20s (27-29) he lives in the same flat with the only family and loved one left in his life - his sweet and innocent younger sister, who is his daughter, born by his mother from him. He has no success with women, nor does he seek a relationship, because, after all the things he has done with his mother he feels too dirty, too defamed, too unworthy of something as pure as love. So his life went on in its course of work and domestic chores until he began to notice how his little sister had turned into a real woman and now he lives with only the horrible thought of what if he is just like his mother? What if he too wants to pluck this forbidden fruit?
You lost me at "And so, one rainy night, with only the full moon illuminating the city streets with its bright light".
I would avoid making the player think "Is that even possible?" unless you're going for absurdity.

Yakis0ba

Aug 7, 2017
Hrm... Social anxiety and low self-confidence are always a winner. Massive depression which isolates him during crucial formative years and now makes him feel like he's constantly trying to 'catch up to' everyone else his age, further expounding the social anxiety and low self-confidence which made pursuing romantic relationships difficult in the first place, also works.
(totally NOT personal experience)

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
also totally not my own personal experience, but getting a protagonist to get out and his catch up of these situations is kinda satisfying to see, and I didn't want to create a plot armor for him, the story will be linear, and the only choice will be between how you confront some situations that are not the core part of storyline.

Reactions: Yakis0ba

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Look at Summers Gone, it has this type of MC.

https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-3-final-oceanlab.29981/

As far as general advice on how to make this type of character.

- Healing from trauma is a difficult and long process. It goes in stages. Starts at the bottom and works it's way up.
- Something needs to be coaxing him to change. Supportive friends, for example. Or the counselor at the new house. This is a primetime role for the main LI.
- He needs to realize, at some point, he needs to change. For the better. He may see a happy couple at the park and say "I want that...but how?" Or perhaps something happens to someone he cares about and he has to help them...thus helping himself too.
- His mom, who he loved, died. An obvious plot thing is that his LI reminds him of his mom in some way.

As far as him being inexperienced, that is simple. He is a virgin. There are many people who are virgins well past high-school, believe it or not. He was too traumatized and depressed to care about sex. As far as him being unable to comprehend relationships & love. You know why he can't do that? Because nobody has shown him any, he doesn't know what that is like. He can't understand something he has never experienced, only his mom has loved him. Again, this is the primetime role for the main LI. To show him what love is. Gradually, he starts to feel things he hasn't felt before.

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
Look at Summers Gone, it has this type of MC.

https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-3-final-oceanlab.29981/

As far as general advice on how to make this type of character.

- Healing from trauma is a difficult and long process. It goes in stages. Starts at the bottom and works it's way up.
- Something needs to be coaxing him to change. Supportive friends, for example. Or the counselor at the new house. This is a primetime role for the main LI.
- He needs to realize, at some point, he needs to change. For the better. He may see a happy couple at the park and say "I want that...but how?" Or perhaps something happens to someone he cares about and he has to help them...thus helping himself too.
- His mom, who he loved, died. An obvious plot thing is that his LI reminds him of his mom in some way.

As far as him being inexperienced, that is simple. He is a virgin. There are many people who are virgins well past high school, believe it or not. He was too traumatized and depressed to care about sex. As far as him being unable to comprehend relationships & love. Do you know why he can't do that? Because nobody has shown him any, he doesn't know what that is like. He can't understand something he has never experienced, only his mom has loved him. Again, this is the primetime role for the main LI. To show him what love is. Gradually, he starts to feel things he hasn't felt before.
I wanna thank you, for providing a great example, and I am worriedly surprised that you have guessed the exact role of one of the LI roles, and I am sure going for that slow and steady route, yup there will a bit of event that will serve as a bit of fan service but any event related to MC will have its full development shown.

I will make a post after some time asking for advice on some basic plot holes but I am not willing to make Mc an empty shell or one that is way strong and never fear, he will be weak and a bit sheltered but not enough to be seen as an idiot or useless,

and again thank you for the example I will play it, and maybe able to find my shortcoming

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
Wow, gotta say, your story sounds eerily similar to mines. Interested to see how things play out in your story as, under the hood, our stories are the same basic concept, only the execution will be different.

Forcion

Game Developer
May 15, 2018
Wow, gotta say, your story sounds eerily similar to mines. Interested to see how things play out in your story as, under the hood, our stories are the same basic concept, only the execution will be different.
Best wishes for your journey

Banality

Jun 16, 2021
look up asperger syndrom. that is a slight form of autism. As a reference you can take Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory. He is supposed to have this. General search for references in specific literature or blogs of people who deal with similar problems. Don't try to make things up you are not familiar with. And congratz you are not going to create another literal motherfucker. That's a bold move (at least here... lol) Best wishes for the project.