How to write bad , unsuccessful games . Feel free not to read this

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Nice article! I bookmarked this thread. I add some very useful links about story design:

same articles with interesting discussion:
another -

and some 3delight render (heavily PSed;))
maybe i finish this game project
Thank you for this! I am enjoying this thread so much on this site!

I played with just one character for fun about 27 images or so in all (the dev/intro narrator/me!! hee hee) -- it would be a header? file where you just see it once when you start the game before the actual script (18 and up disclaimer, basic info about game, etc.) so new and this and so intimidating, but enjoying it so much!

Reactions: lancelotdulak

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Minor plug for advice: If anyone can suggest a fairly original G8 type Daz male character (20-25 Y.O.) (he would be a handsome - more handsome than cute - and bright character but from a humble background and some rough origin backstory so his character arc would start from a place of low confidence, some trust, resentment, and anger to overcome, etc.) Ideally a little rougher/scruffy looking early but cleans up very well to almost elegant/handsome as I would like the character visually to possibly somewhat change as well depending on choices... so being able to tweak things well like facial hair, body shape, etc...ideally not someone used very often in prior games. The character would also have very distinct narrative tracks in being more dominant, neutral, or submissive in how they act so that might be reflected somewhat visually as well.

Thank you!
Im in the same boat on male characters . There are very few available and theyre all stereotypical strong jawed supermodels and just dont look remotely real.. even in direct comparison to their rl counterparts.
I think once you get over the hump i think youre going to love Daz. It is far more complex and capable than people think it is, as i had to point out to someone here who Doesnt know much about it but was dismissing it as a box to toss models in to render. I threw one together fairly quicky.. its based on benicio by sithlordsims with a lot of changes. Id do more but my back is out and its honestly hard to focus with the pain. Theres no requirement to pretend you like it if you dont lol. I have no idea what women consider attractive. I suggest going into the Shaping tab and playing around. If you want that "rough past" look id suggest a small barely noticeable scar and maybe a tattoo that isnt overwhelming. A tip to a characters "look" ie mean, charming, smart , compassionate etc.. id say 75% of it is in the eyebrows. Ill try to upload the scene and a render .

Two suggestions re daz.. get some of the giant morph packs "200 morphs for gxx!!", get mesh grabber.. it should be included in core daz imho, and get scene optimiser and powerpose. Those are baseline things i think everyone should have. And try to stick to one model revision like G8, G3 etc or .. well you'll save yourself some headaches. When youre playing around with a character.. explore all the tabs.. daz is FAR more capable and complex than most people no. The surfaces posing , shaping tabs etc etc. Try dropping in random textues aka pictures into the surfaces slots etc .

• Red Heart
Reactions: sergii-g

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Thank you for this! I am enjoying this thread so much on this site!

I played with just one character for fun about 27 images or so in all (the dev/intro narrator/me!! hee hee) -- it would be a header? file where you just see it once when you start the game before the actual script (18 and up disclaimer, basic info about game, etc.) so new and this and so intimidating, but enjoying it so much!
Absolutely love that character. where did you get the dress if i can ask

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Point them out?
There are FAR more than three. But the point of this thread is specifically not to attack or criticise particular creators or games but rather to help people who want to design or are and are making bad decisions. We have far too many .001 or .003 abandoned games out there because the creator simply has a giant blind spot

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Im in the same boat on male characters . There are very few available and theyre all stereotypical strong jawed supermodels and just dont look remotely real.. even in direct comparison to their rl counterparts.
I think once you get over the hump i think youre going to love Daz. It is far more complex and capable than people think it is, as i had to point out to someone here who Doesnt know much about it but was dismissing it as a box to toss models in to render. I threw one together fairly quicky.. its based on benicio by sithlordsims with a lot of changes. Id do more but my back is out and its honestly hard to focus with the pain. Theres no requirement to pretend you like it if you dont lol. I have no idea what women consider attractive. I suggest going into the Shaping tab and playing around. If you want that "rough past" look id suggest a small barely noticeable scar and maybe a tattoo that isnt overwhelming. A tip to a characters "look" ie mean, charming, smart , compassionate etc.. id say 75% of it is in the eyebrows. Ill try to upload the scene and a render .

Two suggestions re daz.. get some of the giant morph packs "200 morphs for gxx!!", get mesh grabber.. it should be included in core daz imho, and get scene optimiser and powerpose. Those are baseline things i think everyone should have. And try to stick to one model revision like G8, G3 etc or .. well you'll save yourself some headaches. When youre playing around with a character.. explore all the tabs.. daz is FAR more capable and complex than most people no. The surfaces posing , shaping tabs etc etc. Try dropping in random textues aka pictures into the surfaces slots etc .
Thank you so much! I realize I know next to nothing yet about the true complexity of this program but I am trying to stay with G8 characters so I don't have to buy assets for multiple models and that sort of thing. The male -- I hate the haircut but like his face/body a lot as a baseline to work with, etc. I like the idea of maybe a rough edge physical trait and he's going to have a few phobias (from prior bad experiences) that tie into his narrative as well with challenges to overcome beyond his own normal emotional challenges, etc. I'll try meshes and so forth, right now I am trying to figure out lighting a lot first as I really want to someday be able to create moody lighting that is powerful. (for example, how much sexier someone can looked partially lighted in the right places, etc and/or to create environmental mood in a world, I like a developer Philly Games with his Blade Runner cyberpunk looking mood as an example)

I assume anything I do the first time around is going to be mistake filled and a learning experience. That's ok :)

I hope your back feels better soon!

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Absolutely love that character. where did you get the dress if i can ask

I like how you can move the dress around a (especially up and down because I would want my female character to be able to be turned on and masturbate to something they are witnessing, hee hee) lot, and it was easy for me to practice with it. It doesn't always fit perfectly so I adjusted it on my alter ego self as my hips were too wide for the dress and you could see a tiny bit of skin, etc.

I like this one also since it has so many texture options and I want a lot of options for luxurious looking stuff as that plays into this narrative too.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
When youre bored play with textures. download some random texture.. just a picture.. any picture off the net. plop it into the "base color" slot of whatever.. say a dress. See how it looks.. it can be a cotton texture.. or a picture.. anything. Then getin a graphics editor and resize the picture and drag and drop again. You'll find texturing isnt that big a deal. After that you'll quickly learn the difference between base textures ,normal maps , uv's etc.

• Red Heart
Reactions: sergii-g
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote