I have an important question regarding my game! ABOUT 3D Characters

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Yes, my goal is to use Daz Models in Unity (characters), not just a VN game, thank you
As Lednah said beware a bit of every Daz assets, where simple eyebrows can cost ~20/40k polys alone. You can keep track of polygons in the scene info tab and subdivision level in the parameter one under general/mesh resolution. Most maps are 4k (sometime even 8k), things can be quickly costly on that side too I guess. To give an idea skin I work on is around 30 maps for 680Mo, should be less as I don't think Unity use any SSS maps and use diffuse for it instead but still. Don't know how the bridge work but you may also have to bake layered textures (generally makeup, tatoos and so on) before sending to Unity.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Cyberlligen

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I would look into the Daz asset license as well if you are using them as actual 3d models. You don't need one if you use the assets to create renders inside DAZ itself, but using the models themselves in a 3D game is a completely different story.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Come on Rec, blender is the best at everything, it will even make you toast in the morning while you making your game.
How dare you with that sarcasm. Someone revoke him his RENDER LICENSE™.

Joke aside, tried Unity out of curiosity with base mesh and downsized maps. Never used any game engine so might be super shit. Sharpening diffuses a tad bit should help to flesh out details. Also rebaking normals but too lazy. Hair seems to be the real deal tho, tried few things but nothing really worked :unsure:.

Unity_RCpALYBhLc.png

Cyberlligen

Nov 16, 2020
As Lednah said beware a bit of every Daz assets, where simple eyebrows can cost ~20/40k polys alone. You can keep track of polygons in the scene info tab and subdivision level in the parameter one under general/mesh resolution. Most maps are 4k (sometime even 8k), things can be quickly costly on that side too I guess. To give an idea skin I work on is around 30 maps for 680Mo, should be less as I don't think Unity use any SSS maps and use diffuse for it instead but still. Don't know how the bridge work but you may also have to bake layered textures (generally makeup, tatoos and so on) before sending to Unity.
They seem somewhat complicated, but as they say, "Do not learn until you make a mistake while you try." Nobody said this sentence, just made it up now.

Cyberlligen

Nov 16, 2020
I would look into the Daz asset license as well if you are using them as actual 3d models. You don't need one if you use the assets to create renders inside DAZ itself, but using the models themselves in a 3D game is a completely different story.
They've added Bridge to UNITY. I don't expect the licenses to prevent this but I'll definitely take a look

Cyberlligen

Nov 16, 2020
tried Unity out of curiosity with base mesh and downsized maps. Never used any game engine so might be super shit. Sharpening diffuses a tad bit should help to flesh out details. Also rebaking normals but too lazy. Hair seems to be the real deal tho, tried few things but nothing really worked :unsure:.
The facial details look very good, as I expected, the hair will be the real deal, as Lednah said It seems that only new hair types work, but I will try this and hope that I don't have troublesome problems.

Cyberlligen

Nov 16, 2020
How dare you with that sarcasm. Someone revoke him his RENDER LICENSE™.

Joke aside, tried Unity out of curiosity with base mesh and downsized maps. Never used any game engine so might be super shit. Sharpening diffuses a tad bit should help to flesh out details. Also rebaking normals but too lazy. Hair seems to be the real deal tho, tried few things but nothing really worked :unsure:.

View attachment 916397
I believe this option in the Daz Shop will make the hair compatible with Unity.

Capture.PNG

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
They seem somewhat complicated, but as they say, "Do not learn until you make a mistake while you try." Nobody said this sentence, just made it up now.
Looks like it but not really :WeSmart:

Check polycount :
DAZStudio_FghQSyr2jD.png

Remove subD level :
DAZStudio_WmeMp0pY2X.png

Resisze maps :
DAZStudio_D6RcrAOb2V.png

The facial details look very good, as I expected, the hair will be the real deal, as Lednah said It seems that only new hair types work, but I will try this and hope that I don't have troublesome problems.

I believe this option in the Daz Shop will make the hair compatible with Unity.
It's just rough test from a dumb noob, should be plenty of room for improvements o/
For hair it's not they are 'not compatible' per se, they're just gonna look like shit. Some critical layer just don't exist (may be blind af, but I don't think I ve seen any cutout opacity layer). Strand based or dForce hair may be a better choice, as well as Unity hair assets.

• Red Heart

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
They've added Bridge to UNITY. I don't expect the licenses to prevent this but I'll definitely take a look
I think interactive licenses are needed only fro the stuff bought from the Daz site. Not sure although as I don't need them anyway.
And the interactive licenses Daz sells are required only for fully 3D games with 3D models, not the games which are made by using 3D renders.

Cyberlligen

Nov 16, 2020
Looks like it but not really :WeSmart:

Check polycount :
View attachment 916585

Remove subD level :
View attachment 916586

Resisze maps :
View attachment 916676

It's just rough test from a dumb noob, should be plenty of room for improvements o/
For hair it's not they are 'not compatible' per se, they're just gonna look like shit. Some critical layer just don't exist (may be blind af, but I don't think I ve seen any cutout opacity layer). Strand based or dForce hair may be a better choice, as well as Unity hair assets.
Wow, this was very helpful, thank you, I did some experiments with Unity and it looks like hair is a real problem, the hair looked good with Universal Render Pipeline while the face never looked well, but the hair did not appear with High Definition Render Pipeline in Unity, body back and every detail in very high resolution.

I think interactive licenses are needed only fro the stuff bought from the Daz site. Not sure although as I don't need them anyway.
And the interactive licenses Daz sells are required only for fully 3D games with 3D models, not the games which are made by using 3D renders.
Hmm well, could I have a problem if I publish the game using some DazShop stuff? If the game makes some money then it is okay if I pay them at the time

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Wow, this was very helpful, thank you, I did some experiments with Unity and it looks like hair is a real problem, the hair looked good with Universal Render Pipeline while the face never looked well, but the hair did not appear with High Definition Render Pipeline in Unity, body back and every detail in very high resolution.
Universal Render doesn't support SSS iirc (quite critical for any skin), you'll have to find some shader that simulate/fake it. HD render does it, remember to add Iray diffusion profile in the HD render setting. For invisible hair it's more likely a mapping problem (could be, I had to remap too), but even tweaking a bit result were not really great, kinda looks like 2010 skyrim hair asset.

Cyberlligen

Nov 16, 2020
Universal Render doesn't support SSS iirc (quite critical for any skin), you'll have to find some shader that simulate/fake it. HD render does it, remember to add Iray diffusion profile in the HD render setting. For invisible hair it's more likely a mapping problem (could be, I had to remap too), but even tweaking a bit result were not really great, kinda looks like 2010 skyrim hair asset.
As you just told me, Universal Render Pipeline doesn't work with Bridge offered by Daz, but there is no problem using HD RP, and yes, I was able to show the hair when I re mapping it, and some of them looked like Skyrim in 2010 but some of them looked so realistic that I could See the head from between the hairs. llol