I need help with animations

Stormmie

GSW
Game Developer
Jul 20, 2017
Hello everybody maybe this is a dumb question, but i really didn't find anything helpful. So i want to make 60fps animations to my stand images made in Daz Studio. How i'm supposed to do that ? You know for example when a couple have sex or something similar how i'm supposed to make the animations ? Thank you in advance

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Well, first, if you use DAZ 4.12 better since they have integrated plugins like KeyMate or GraphMate and have improved several aspects related to animation. If you use an older version I advise you, at least, to use KeyMate to make the animations, it works much better than the timelines of DAZ itself.

At the bottom of the DAZ interface you'll see that you can unfold a timeline, that's where you have to mark the different keyframes to generate the animation.
A simple example, you go to frame 0 with an object centered in the work area; you go to frame 30 and move that object a little to the right and up; ready, you have created an animation where that object will move from the origin (frame 0) to the end (frame 30).

Obviously, creating a good animation between characters requires some practice and tricks that you discover as you use it.
There's a lot of information here in the forum:
https://f95zone.to/search/30882958/?q=daz+animation&o=relevance
And several tutorials on youtube:

Reactions: Droid Productions

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
For a high-quality render, If I can get a frame in 4 minutes I consider that pretty fast (The fastest time I have ever had for something Pixar/Disney level quality), but depending on hardware, many users may easily see 16 or more minutes per frame. 24 frames per second is nice because if you average frame takes X minutes to render, then it will take X days to render 1 minute of animation. 60 fps you nearly tripple that. I have done tests, and unless you have anything fast-moving (fluids or action sequence) 60 fps doesn't really add anything (No I am not saying 24 fps is all you need for gaming, higher fps is percievable). However I find that better results can come out of, what is basically just hand drawing each frame, and exercising the 12 principles of animation/art, but then it takes hours per frame( albeit fewer frames 12 fps with 24 for inbetweens is typical) no automation, and probably defeats your purpose. You could play with settings to optimize render times, but I can't say much more since I use Blender.

Stormmie

GSW
Game Developer
Jul 20, 2017
I made something very simple now just to test how it's gonna be. So usually for a normal render with lights and everything my PC needs 1hour 1hour 30 minutes maybe, but now with this animation 20 minutes 0 frames. I think it's gonna take me 2 days to render 30 frames :/

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
What you could do is render at a lower sample rate, and following this (jump to 6:50 for the final solution), you can clean up the video afterward and that will save you time.

depending on what your art goals are, you may be able to throw your work into Blender and use it's EEVEE shader to have frames only take a few seconds to render, it can do pretty close to ray trace quality renders. If you youtube it, you'll see that EEVEE is a break through because its ment to work with cycles, which is blenders version of iray.

Stormmie

GSW
Game Developer
Jul 20, 2017
If i have to be honest i've never worked with Blender before and i'm a little bit scared to try it because it will take again a lot of time to learn it like with Daz Studio :D, but 1 hour later still 0 frames so i think i will give it a chance. Thanks mate

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Well if I can convince you to try out blender
here's this https://f95zone.to/threads/blender-vs-daz3d-whats-best-for-you.25357/ talking about why you would want to learn blender in addition to daz,
a tutorial (one of my favorites)
and these are most of the secrets for speedy renders
A lot of the ideas can be done in daz, I just don't know how, or what the name is for what daz does.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Actually, to show you what Eevee can do, here is ony of the posts in that thread I linked, when the top comment on page 6 (https://f95zone.to/threads/blender-vs-daz3d-whats-best-for-you.25357/page-6#post-2384517) shows what one game maker (I think I've seen their, Eroseason, art around for a game project... I think) is able to make using Eevee. If I had the same file I think I could do some magic with the lighting to make it a bit better at competing with Daz's Iray, but for now I'll stick to the Cycle engine for my own work.

Stormmie

GSW
Game Developer
Jul 20, 2017
Yesterday i downloaded Blender and i was giving it a shot, so for sure i will try it, but i'm still rendering this animation from yesterday :D 14 hours and 14 minutes and we still going...

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
...14 hours and 14 minutes and we still going...
When rendering a single image it can be normal that it takes many minutes or hours, but when making animations you have to take into account the optimization of the scene so that each image (each frame) takes the minimum.
You can do that:
- Deleting/hiding objects that are not shown in the animation (save a backup before); better to delete them because the scene occupies less memory in your graphics card, if you hide them they still occupy memory.
- Avoid, if you can, having reflective surfaces (mirrors) or translucent surfaces (windows) as this can greatly increase the rendering time.
- With individual images is normal to use higher resolutions but for animations a resolution of 1920x1080 is sufficient.
- Keep the scene well lit, but avoid using too many points of light; DAZ has to calculate all collisions/reflections of those lights and that greatly influences the rendering time.
- The rendering options are also very important... I don't know if you are using the "Rendering Quality Enable" in ON or OFF. Leave it ON and 95% (default) is the usual, but sometimes with animations you can set it OFF and assign yourself the iterations you want for each frame. Before rendering the whole animation render a single frame and check how many iterations have enough quality and how long it takes, so you will have an idea of how many iterations you have to put and how long it will take the whole animation to finish.

Last but not least... What graphics card do you have (and how much VRAM memory)? Because another possibility for it to take so long is that the scene has exceeded the capacity of your VRAM, and in this case DAZ will render with your CPU, not with the GPU, and this will make it take much longer to render.
(To check this, you can use the free program GPU-Z; in the "sensors" tab you can see if the GPU is being used for rendering and how much VRAM memory is occupying the scene).

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
One other thing when rendering animations, is that sometimes you can render the "parts that move" independently of the background. In other words, if you have a character walking, render the background once (without the character) and then render the character (without the background) using PNG (so that the parts that would be background are transparent) and then combine the two. If 50% of each frame is background, that can double the rate at which you render frames. This only works if the camera isn't moving, of course.

There is, of course, the issue of shadows onto background objects, you can put an "iray shadow catcher" into the scene with the moving parts (the technique is discussed here: ) and then the shadow will appear to be on top of the background when you composite the final results. Essentially you put in a plane or a cube or something like that to simulate the object that the shadow's going to be cast on, and then tinker with it so that it's invisible in the scene, but will still catch shadows.

Reactions: Porcus Dev