I want to create a game. Should I collaborate or wait?

CheekyGimp

Donor
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Yea, I know it was an old post, but felt bad that I was asking questions on it, so wanted to reply to your OP. Had a look at your patreon page and have a question: If someone who isn't a patron goes onto your page, how do they know what your project/game is about. The bios are locked out for patron's only and there doesn't seem to be a non-patron game summary.

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
Yea, I know it was an old post, but felt bad that I was asking questions on it, so wanted to reply to your OP. Had a look at your patreon page and have a question: If someone who isn't a patron goes onto your page, how do they know what your project/game is about. The bios are locked out for patron's only and there doesn't seem to be a non-patron game summary.
Don't worry about it. This thread isn't specifically for me, but for anyone who might also benefit from it.

And good eye. Thanks for catching that. I only intended for the characters to be patron only, not the story summary as well. I'm gonna change that now. Maybe I'll unblock all of those to remove any uncertainty.

Reactions: CheekyGimp

CheekyGimp

Donor
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
No problem. I've gone through multiple edits on my own patreon page over the past two weeks and still noticing problems.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but two more questions: If you have multiple script files, how do you manage what order/sequence they run. And what is the developer console ??
1. You don't. The files all compile into one (sort of), and everything happens "at once" - the only thing that makes stuff happen when you want it to is by encasing it in actions (for buttons and the like), functions or classes (python objects), and so on. You control what happens when by using jump, call and so on, and labels to know where to jump to.
2. The developer console is Shift+O (the letter o, not 0) - it gives you a console access to the game - you can print to console using $ print('whateverstring') for instance. You can also modify variables to check what happens during events with different values, and so on. You can use it to issue commands, for instance if you want to check a specific label, you can jump to that label via console and so on.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but two more questions: If you have multiple script files, how do you manage what order/sequence they run. And what is the developer console ??
Ren'py basically combines all of your scripts together into one giant script. The only thing you would normally worry about sequencing would be initialization code. You can tag "init" blocks with a number that will cause them to run in the order you want. See here: under "Init Python Statement". Note that "define" statements effectively get transformed into "init" statements, so they all run before any of the rest of your code.

Otherwise, code runs when Ren'py gets to it. (i.e. start with the "start" label, or wherever the save left off, and go from there.)

If you have the console enabled (define config.console = True), then when you hit Uppercase-O, you get a screen on which you can type basic Python commands to inspect and change variables, as well as execute some basic commands like "jump to label." Useful for debugging. More tools described here:

CheekyGimp

Donor
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Ren'py basically combines all of your scripts together into one giant script. The only thing you would normally worry about sequencing would be initialization code. You can tag "init" blocks with a number that will cause them to run in the order you want. See here: under "Init Python Statement". Note that "define" statements effectively get transformed into "init" statements, so they all run before any of the rest of your code.

Otherwise, code runs when Ren'py gets to it. (i.e. start with the "start" label, or wherever the save left off, and go from there.)

If you have the console enabled (define config.console = True), then when you hit Uppercase-O, you get a screen on which you can type basic Python commands to inspect and change variables, as well as execute some basic commands like "jump to label." Useful for debugging. More tools described here:
That will save some time. Still in the early phases of learning Renpy. For debug, I was using a prompt menu at start of game with a debug Y/N option. If debug, I just had a section that gave a token value to each variable (so wouldn't get an undeclared statement if I skipped sections) and jumped to a debug label (which I moved around to whatever section I wanted to debug). Primitive, I know. Don't need it now I know about the debug console... Thanks a lot.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
That will save some time. Still in the early phases of learning Renpy. For debug, I was using a prompt menu at start of game with a debug Y/N option. If debug, I just had a section that gave a token value to each variable (so wouldn't get an undeclared statement if I skipped sections) and jumped to a debug label (which I moved around to whatever section I wanted to debug). Primitive, I know. Don't need it now I know about the debug console... Thanks a lot.
And... this is why you have "default" declarations for variables... Also, the console is on by default when in development mode, and is disabled (by default) when building if left to its own devices. Ie, no need to declare the config.console = True anywhere.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
And... this is why you have "default" declarations for variables... Also, the console is on by default when in development mode, and is disabled (by default) when building if left to its own devices. Ie, no need to declare the config.console = True anywhere.
Quite true. I mention it because sometimes you need/want to debug into a fully-built application.