VN I Was a Teenage Vampire (Development Thread)

Apr 18, 2021
Sometimes people ask, "Why aren't there more bright colors?", "Where is all the permed hair?".
Truth is, the 1980s didn't really look like that unless you were in a magazine or a music video (or maybe some parts of SoCal and Miami). For the most part, girls were not wearing full perms and makeup to school on a daily basis, especially in small midwest towns other than year book photo day. Instead there was lots of denim, flannel, white tennis shoes, wood paneling and ash trays in McDonalds. :ROFLMAO:
Here is a good example of inspiration for the look of some of these characters:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragnar

bobvilla123

Jul 12, 2022
Sometimes people ask, "Why aren't there more bright colors?", "Where is all the permed hair?".
Truth is, the 1980s didn't really look like that unless you were in a magazine or a music video (or maybe some parts of SoCal and Miami). For the most part, girls were not wearing full perms and makeup to school on a daily basis, especially in small midwest towns other than year book photo day. Instead there was lots of denim, flannel, white tennis shoes, wood paneling and ash trays in McDonalds. :ROFLMAO:
Here is a good example of inspiration for the look of some of these characters:
[Removed]
This is absolutely correct. In small Northwestern towns as well. The 'vintage' scene grabs the coolest elements and highlights them, but the 80s weren't legwarmers and aerobics uniforms worn to school. It was a lot of denim. Miles of it. Photo day was peak 80s in schools, aside from that it was just... normal. Tacky, but... normal.

As for the inspirations, I see Back to the Future, Ferris Bueller, Parker Lewis Can't Lose is where you got Ox from I think (Believe the dude was named Moose), the Audi driving bully is right out of a Up All Night with Rhonda Shear/Gilbert Godfried Ski Lodge sexploitation B Flick. Love it.

Edit: The point and click is right out of Space/Kings/Police Quest, it feels very Sierra.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece
Apr 18, 2021
This is absolutely correct. In small Northwestern towns as well. The 'vintage' scene grabs the coolest elements and highlights them, but the 80s weren't legwarmers and aerobics uniforms worn to school. It was a lot of denim. Miles of it. Photo day was peak 80s in schools, aside from that it was just... normal. Tacky, but... normal.

As for the inspirations, I see Back to the Future, Ferris Bueller, Parker Lewis Can't Lose is where you got Ox from I think (Believe the dude was named Moose), the Audi driving bully is right out of a Up All Night with Rhonda Shear/Gilbert Godfried Ski Lodge sexploitation B Flick. Love it.

Edit: The point and click is right out of Space/Kings/Police Quest, it feels very Sierra.
Some really good guesses there :D
Fun fact, I got to work with Billy Jayne once on a creative project, it was a lot of fun!

Sierra games are awesome and definitely a big inspiration for the gameplay here.

Reactions: bobvilla123

bobvilla123

Jul 12, 2022
Fun fact, I got to work with Billy Jayne once on a creative project, it was a lot of fun!
I pulled up his IMDB to refresh my memory; the sheer number of TV series he was involved in blew me away. He's one of those dude that you know who he is, by his face, but you can't put your finger on why. PLCL, Bad News Bears, danged ol Beastmaster as young Dar, its crazy.

I'm going to say this, and its going to make people mad, I don't care: Parker Lewis Can't Lose>Saved By The Bell.

Apr 18, 2021
I pulled up his IMDB to refresh my memory; the sheer number of TV series he was involved in blew me away. He's one of those dude that you know who he is, by his face, but you can't put your finger on why. PLCL, Bad News Bears, danged ol Beastmaster as young Dar, its crazy.

I'm going to say this, and its going to make people mad, I don't care: Parker Lewis Can't Lose>Saved By The Bell.
Bob I owe you a custom render for your guesses on inspiration! You can choose any of my characters doing whatever you want. Let me know what you would like to see and I'll put it together. :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: bobvilla123

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Played through; nice work, and you totally nail the atmosphere.

Some quick thoughts:
- I would put the dodgy VHS screen effects as a toggle in the effects; to me they overstay their welcome really fast
- Camera movement feels a little laggy, and too low on the screen much of the time, especially since the top 15% of the screen is your inventory system. I quite often found myself wanting to click on a doorway only to accidentally open the inventory
- Add ctrl as a skip through dialog

Apart from that, really cute girls; I just wish all the sexual content wasn't either dream sequences or out of body (seeing/hearing things MC couldn't know). Best of luck, and hope you'll be able to complete the game.

bobvilla123

Jul 12, 2022
- Camera movement feels a little laggy, and too low on the screen much of the time, especially since the top 15% of the screen is your inventory system. I quite often found myself wanting to click on a doorway only to accidentally open the inventory

Apart from that, really cute girls; I just wish all the sexual content wasn't either dream sequences or out of body (seeing/hearing things MC couldn't know).
I feel like the lagginess adds to the Sierra feel the devs going for. I agree with you, but its true to form for the era of games they're recreating. The CTRL option is definitely needed.

Its early in the development cycle, I wouldn't expect sex to leave the fantasy realm for a while.The typical arc for the 80s was a LOOOOOOOT of fantasy, and very little substance. Weird Science is a great example of this. They created a sex bot. Then never had sex with her. You can see this theme all through the B movies of the 80s where they dream about sex but when it finally happens it's almost always an implication that it happens after the credits roll.

Reactions: Droid Productions
Apr 18, 2021
I was really looking forward to seeing more Savannah, something with her would be amazing. I'm pretty easy, so surprise me, please. :D
She's one of my favorite characters so that will be fun :) Also, she has some new story content in the game this month.

Played through; nice work, and you totally nail the atmosphere.

Some quick thoughts:
- I would put the dodgy VHS screen effects as a toggle in the effects; to me they overstay their welcome really fast

Apart from that, really cute girls; I just wish all the sexual content wasn't either dream sequences or out of body (seeing/hearing things MC couldn't know). Best of luck, and hope you'll be able to complete the game.
New in v0.0.3 available this month, "space" bar skips through dialogue, "X" key skips through a cutscene entirely. I agree the camera could use some fine tuning! Especially positioning it just right. Inventory in v0.0.3 now opens from an icon on the bottom right hand of the screen and no longer pops up unintentionally.

artistx

Aug 13, 2020
If you don't mind me asking... your characters are renders right? how did you get the painted/drawn effect? I've been trying to perfect a method for a while and I'd love to pick your brain about it.. your promotional art looks great!

• Red Heart
Apr 18, 2021
I was really looking forward to seeing more Savannah, something with her would be amazing. I'm pretty easy, so surprise me, please. :D
I hope you like it! :)
savannahhalloween01.jpg

If you don't mind me asking... your characters are renders right? how did you get the painted/drawn effect? I've been trying to perfect a method for a while and I'd love to pick your brain about it.. your promotional art looks great!
I use a combination of rendering the characters first as a base then draw over in Photoshop or Procreate and add filters. In total everything is processed through at least three completely different sets of software. It takes a lot of time, but I wanted to do something that was totally unique.

Dec 20, 2022
Hey, I'm playing through this right now. The writing is really good and I appreciate the art style! The characters are also gorgeous, and their faces don't creep me out like most 3D rendered games lol

There's a few QOL changes that would improve the experience. One is there doesn't appear to be any way to change the resolution of the game, or to make it fullscreen. I also ran into some bugs trying to open the option menu, where the menu wouldn't be functional and if I pressed escape while that was up it'd reopen the pause menu instead of closing the existing options menu, so I had two menus open, super weird.

I ended up turning off the vhs scroll effect as it was just one effect too many. Personally, I'd suggest controlling that effect manually (maybe when there are supernatural elements happening?) and if you can put the effect *behind* the dialogue boxes that'd be preferable! I know that can be difficult with screen-based shaders though.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Personally, I'd suggest controlling that effect manually (maybe when there are supernatural elements happening?) and if you can put the effect *behind* the dialogue boxes that'd be preferable! I know that can be difficult with screen-based shaders though.
Render the UI and the world in different cameras, and apply the shader only to the world? Should work. And yeah, I agree that having the VFX as a manual *nudge*, "something happened" would be better.

Apr 18, 2021
Hey, I'm playing through this right now. The writing is really good and I appreciate the art style! The characters are also gorgeous, and their faces don't creep me out like most 3D rendered games lol

There's a few QOL changes that would improve the experience. One is there doesn't appear to be any way to change the resolution of the game, or to make it fullscreen. I also ran into some bugs trying to open the option menu, where the menu wouldn't be functional and if I pressed escape while that was up it'd reopen the pause menu instead of closing the existing options menu, so I had two menus open, super weird.

I ended up turning off the vhs scroll effect as it was just one effect too many. Personally, I'd suggest controlling that effect manually (maybe when there are supernatural elements happening?) and if you can put the effect *behind* the dialogue boxes that'd be preferable! I know that can be difficult with screen-based shaders though.
Thanks! Like I said in my most recent post, next update will have window and resolution options for sure. Good catch about the options menu, that needs to be fixed. :)
That is a neat idea about having effects during different parts of the game, something to keep in mind! All the shaders should currently not effect the dialogue boxes at all but the UI is semi-transparent so they may not appear that way.

Render the UI and the world in different cameras, and apply the shader only to the world? Should work. And yeah, I agree that having the VFX as a manual *nudge*, "something happened" would be better.
Yes that's how it currently works now. The UI uses a different renderer than the game camera.

Apr 18, 2021
Day03IWATVscreenshot2.jpg

V0.0.5
-Third day of story content added with 10+ new scenes
-New locations available to visit, skate park, park, photo studio, diner and neighbor's
-Window now resizable for various resolutions (not recommended for full screen on widescreen displays)
-Black screen bug fixed
-Various bugfixes, optimization, reintegrated some content which was skipped.
-Text boxes and interface adjusted