Illusion Illusion software shutting down

Joshy92

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 25, 2021
What does this mean for honey select games does anyone know?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Vale Illusion.

Ground breaking 3d game style, with customization and clothing options that were completely new to the world at the time of release.

Sexy beach with the tanning system was a revelation... at the time.

But they never understood how to add enjoyable gameplay... and then badly fumbled the development of their newest titles because they could not optimize enough to make the game run at an acceptable frame rate.

meanmike

Apr 1, 2019
They really should have tried suing the developers that used their games to make money to stay afloat. Some of them made millions and never paid illusion a single dollar for their work that made it possible.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Who exactly made "millions" from games with graphics sourced from illusion game "studio"s ? I'm seriously scratching my head, at best you're off by an order of magnitude.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
They really should have tried suing the developers that used their games to make money to stay afloat. Some of them made millions and never paid illusion a single dollar for their work that made it possible.
Firstly no one make enough with Illusion's studios to worth an international lawsuit. Even if the dev was sentenced to pay for Illusion's expense, it would need 10 years at most before they get back what they spent in the lawsuit.
Secondly it would have doomed Illusion even faster, because a big part of the sales where due to Japanese users who used the studio to make free fan fiction ; and not necessarily lewd one.

The real reason is that Illusion suffered from the spirit still present in too many Japanese small/mid business, they didn't cared about the international market. The company was created in 2001, and it's only with Honey Select, so around 2015 that they teamed with FAKKU to have none Japanese version of their games.
But at this time it was too late. They had an effective, and consistent, international players base, but it was built on piracy and fan made translation. And, of course, few seen a reason to change their habit and to pay for the games. This especially since generally the mods and pirated version where available in the same place.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Honestly, when working with HS2 it was nice that you didn't had to have anything. You just needed an PNG image which had all the data. (if i understand the concept correctly)
So if you didn't had a scene but like a scene in a screenshot, there you go.
Then characters. Load a PNG and there you go.
Explains the size of the actual game.
What they needed was what DAZ has. A storefront so you pay for whatever.
Then characters. Load a PNG and there you go.
I think the whole concept was a failure. The idea was nice but i am not sure how many people bought it. Though in 2020 HS2 was a hit. It sold more than any other game. Little late i suppose.

6DarkRaven9

Nov 14, 2017
Damn, my childhood of H games began basically with Illusion. From the glory days of Hongfire to finding F95zone. I will not really miss them since indies are thriving these days thanks to F95, Steam, and others. Though their games did have a charm that can't be beat. AA1, AA2, AG3, AI Girl, and Koikatsu I enjoyed most. With the titan gone, one must wonder who will try to claim the throne if anyone ever could in today's day and age.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
The silver lining with any game studio shutdown is that while the company disappears, the talent still remains. I hope we get to see new studios spring out of the ashes.

Mattock

May 27, 2018
(OT)
a very sadening news! as with many others Illu-games were among my first
"the old man says": "oh, the good old days are gone forever..." not sure if I hail the new days
(well renpy and even unity are a PLUS, but it's not the same)

*emptied a bottle of liquor in rememberance*

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
There's one potential silver lining to that for the small devs.

Assuming their IP are not bought by anyone, it means devs should be able to sale everywhere, as there'd be nobody to complain about any IP infringement and what not.

I haven't been able to dig anything on any kind of deal or buyout so far, but since this would more than likely be in Japanese in their own financial newspaper, the info might be in there.