I'm a begginer! Plase help!

Aug 3, 2020
Since it hasn't been asked yet, what kind of graphics card do you have? If it isn't a fairly high end one then daz will create a huge bottleneck for you and you'll spend hours to make a single scene and days to make a single animation. I understand the appeal of the realism that daz offers and in the hands of someone experienced and with a good system it's definitely prefered. Unfortunately for newer people you're almost certainly going to have models that fall into the uncanny valley. If you want to be able to make scenes much faster even on limited hardware I highly suggest looking at koikatsu. It's an earlier game from the same company that made honey select but there's a lot more mods available for it.
It's not a top tier graphic card, but I think it should suffice for this.
I currently use a NVIDIA GeFOrce GTX x1060 6gb

Aug 3, 2020
Btw this thread degenerated into a strange discussion. As long as my cinematics don't hurt to the eye, they are fine enough in my eyes

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
It's not a top tier graphic card, but I think it should suffice for this.
I currently use a NVIDIA GeFOrce GTX x1060 6gb
Ok, that should be good enough to be able to use iray so you probably won't run into too many hardware related problems.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Here either you were being intentionally misleading with the previous comment or are blatantly lying because you didn't state that you were "wondering" but were stating it as a matter of fact.
The exact quotation was :
Totally agree, but he probably can't. He past from Daz3D to Koikatsu because of few comments, so he probably believe that he'd already visited the uncanny valley once.
But apparently I was wrong to expect the reader to notice the two "probably" that surrounded the part you kept in your quotation and so don't jump to easy conclusions.

That level of configuration is well beyond a beginner and I can say from experience that if there's any guides for it they are well buried.
There's a tons of tips and advice, including for the rendering configuration, available on this part of the forum ; and even more on the whole net. Daz isn't, and will never be, a documented software, every piece of information come from its community, and it's a big and verbose one.
Read, think and try. Between this and recreation 's optimization guide, even an old computer can do some marvel in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, you say that you just need to create a flaw to avoid it entirely but that also shows an utter lack of understanding.
It's not at all what I said...
The "small, but obvious, mismatch" I talked about is far to be just a simple flaw, and being "generally enough to prevent [it]" isn't at all the same than "[avoiding] it entirely".
If you've read everything regarding the uncanny valley with the same serious than you did with my comment, no wonder that you're so far from its reality.

Common things that can cause the effect in something like Daz that prides itself on being "photorealistic" [...]
You know that it's just promotional saying, right ? Daz is still far to render something effectively photo realistic.

I suspect that you have these faulty assumptions about the effect because it doesn't affect you as much as it might other people.
No, I have this *knowledge* because I goes in a college that tried to be in advance with its time. Any programming course add a mandatory "AI and the future" class that was a bunch of useless mix between maths, algorithmic and psychology ; we were in the late 80's, early 90's, at this time AI was imagined as the code that will power the robots that will live within us in a near future. And, like they were doing this stupidity (in regard of what AI effectively became) as seriously as expected from a high quality college, the uncanny valley, it's reason, how to avoid it, how to help people travel into it, and all, was a part of this class.

As long as my cinematics don't hurt to the eye, they are fine enough in my eyes
With your card, they shouldn't hurt. It's not the best one, but you can have average render in a acceptable amount of time with it. Take a look at the Daz threads on the forum (I linked on that you should read in this comment).

Just try to not overdo it. With the exception of the few peoples who effectively do horrible things (mostly a tons of meshes collisions that make you see the skin through the clothes, by example), the main cause of "bad looking renders" is when people try to overdo it.
Either they thinks "it will be a small image, I have to exaggerate this for it to be seen", what lead to a smile that eat half of the face, and other wrongness like this. Or they overestimate they abilities and try to do everything themselves but fail, leading to absurd poses, totally unrealistic clothes aspect, and all.

There's a tons of shaders and pose presets available (for free somewhere in this forum, but don't forget to buy what you use when you've the money for this), don't hesitate to use them. They aren't necessarily the best that can be achieved, but they are more than good enough to build, then render, good looking scenes ; and they'll always be better than failed attempt that one can make if he don't have the ability to do it.
In a way, it's like drawing by following a canvas. Your pieces of art will mostly looks like all the others made by following the same canvas, but at least they'll looks good. This opposed to someone who think he's the next Da Vinci, but end just doing doddle like there's tons in kindergarten.

With times, you'll slowly learn to recognize what is a good configuration for this clothes, how a good pose looks, and start to tweak the shaders and poses to make them near to what you want. Therefore, don't hesitate to try. It's like drawing, even the masters started with doddle, it's the repetition that led them to the perfection they now achieve. Don't hesitate to have a really low quality render setting (something likes Max Samples 5000, Rendering Converged Ratio 0.5, and Render Quality 0.1). It will lead to grainy renders, but that will be fast to generate. This way you'll be able to have a preview of your scene, what is always better to judge the effective quality of the poses and spots obvious mistakes.
And while you don't hesitate to try, also don't hesitate to return back to the preset pose or the default shader. If you don't feel it while looking at your preview, then the default is probably better, go for it.

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
The exact quotation was :

"Totally agree, but he probably can't. He past from Daz3D to Koikatsu because of few comments, so he probably believe that he'd already visited the uncanny valley once."

But apparently I was wrong to expect the reader to notice the two "probably" that surrounded the part you kept in your quotation and so don't jump to easy conclusions.
I won't address the rest of this comment because I said I was done arguing about that part but this needs to be addressed because apparently I was right that you were being intentionally misleading. Neither "probably" addressed the core of the comment. The first one is about whether or not I can agree and is a thinly veiled cheap shot at me because apparently you are unable to debate a topic without putting down other people. The second one is in regard to whether I think my renders were in the uncanny valley or not. That's why I didn't include them in the quote, because they are completely irrelevant to the part I was addressing in which you explicitly state my reasons for switching when you don't even know them. If you had just prefaced it with something along the lines of "I assume he..." then there would be no issue but you can't even admit that you're comment was misleading and instead have to jump straight into attacking me again. I admit I also could've done more to keep this discussion civil but don't pretend you didn't have a part in it either.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
It spiraled a little bit lol.
Anyway.

Uncanny valley is at best an hypothesis and should be threated as such. Papers of Bartneck & al, Burleigh, MacDorman (co author oof the original one iirc), Hanson & al, come to mind after few google search. Doesn't help a whole industrial field threat it like a joke, and that idea is surrounded by bordeline junk/pseudoscience.

I don't think it's that bad of """theory""" per se (very questionnable reproductability), more likely victim of its popularity.
A bad mesh is not uncanny valley, nor a bad texture. I think Uncanny valley completely lost it's meaning for 99% case.

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
I didn't have time to read all of this argument, but let me just say that I'm using DAZ3D on a second hand lap-top with intel core-i5 and NO GPU AT ALL and it's actually not that bad at all.

flarigand

May 7, 2020
Since it hasn't been asked yet, what kind of graphics card do you have? If it isn't a fairly high end one then daz will create a huge bottleneck for you and you'll spend hours to make a single scene and days to make a single animation. I understand the appeal of the realism that daz offers and in the hands of someone experienced and with a good system it's definitely prefered. Unfortunately for newer people you're almost certainly going to have models that fall into the uncanny valley. If you want to be able to make scenes much faster even on limited hardware I highly suggest looking at koikatsu. It's an earlier game from the same company that made honey select but there's a lot more mods available for it.
That is not true at all, Daz gives you many tools to reduce the time of renders, without sacrificing so much visual quality, you have the "Denoiser" for example, and others add-ons to help you whit the the time of the rendering, aside when you make a visual novel, usually your renders go from 720p to a maximum 1080p, if with a powerful hardware obviously everything is going to be faster, but with a decent mid-range PC, you can start.

Last edited:

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
That is not true at all, Daz gives you many tools to reduce the time of renders, without sacrificing so much visual quality, you have the "Denoiser" for example, and others add-ons to help you whit the the time of the rendering, aside when you make a visual novel, usually your renders go from 720p to a maximum 1080p, if with a powerful hardware obviously everything is going to be faster, but with a decent mid-range PC, you can start.
All I can pull from is my own experience and a couple of other posts I've seen. It's certainly possible to render on daz with a low to mid range system but unless you really know what you are doing (in other words taking a lot longer learning to understand how to optimize it and what settings to look for, which causes a separate delay when trying to get started), it does generally take a lot longer to render on a lower end system (and with more difficulties). On my system (which is reasonably mid-range in that it can handle most recent games at 1080p) It would generally take at least 2-3 hours to render a single image (sometimes up to 8 hours) and I often had to restart it because the shaders wouldn't load properly (I can't remember the exact term anymore). Then if I wanted to add an animation, even a couple seconds would take 3 days to render.

I know that I probably didn't have it optimized properly for my system, but I did optimize it as well as I could based on the info I could find at the time and I'm not the only person to experience this. Then when learning koikatsu, I got all the info I needed to use it decently well within one day and had redone all the art that had taken me about 2 months to do in daz in about 1 week. That would've been a bit longer if I wasn't just remaking scenes but still nowhere near as long as it took me in daz, mostly because of my system.

Aug 3, 2020
Hello again!
I finally decided how I want my game to be, and it took a drastic turn.
I remember I loved the animations and the style of a game called Splatter School. I revisited it lately, and the animations and the style seems easy enough to be a good option. Now I'm 100% sure I want my game to look like that. Now I don't know how the game was created (if everyone knows, you'll make me happy) but it seems like flash, and that's kinda old story.
Does anybody know a good way to start in the design of that kind of 2d animation?
I think I could maybe use blender to create the 2d animation. Souns like a good enough idea.
Do you guys think I should create a new thread for that?

Last edited:

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
Hello again!
I finally decided how I want my game to be, and it took a drastic turn.
I remember I loved the animations and the style of a game called Splatter School. I revisited it lately, and the animations and the style seems easy enough to be a good option. Now I'm 100% sure I want my game to look like that. Now I don't know how the game was created (if everyone knows, you'll make me happy) but it seems like flash, and that's kinda old story.
Does anybody know a good way to start in the design of that kind of 2d animation?
I think I could maybe use blender to create the 2d animation. Souns like a good enough idea.
Do you guys think I should create a new thread for that?
I think blender could but really might be a bit overkill for 2d animation (if anyone knows better please correct me). The only other engine I know about for 2d animation is live2d cubism but I never actually used it. Still probably worth looking into.

Reactions: asfhgloasdfsdf