Ren'Py Blender I'm creating for first time nsfw visual novel and rendering time for single image is killing my motivation

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023
Hello, so I'm creating nsfw visual novel in blender and I created characters and envrioments, but main problem there is that I have to wait one to two hours to render single image. My question is for guys who create similair things how long you usually wait to render single image? I have bad graphic card so I use cpu for renders. How munch less time I will have to wait if I buy good graphic card?

Reactions: wildride69

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
After using blender for years and optimizing it, these are my default settings now
1693920697749.png render should be 512 iterations max for my settings, and 128 if I want to be lazy, with 256 about in the middle, everytime you want a bit more smoothness, you have to double the number, I just happen to use base 2 numbers because I've memorized them for many things.

Drop you max light bounce as much as possible, I go as low as 2 or 3 for diffuse and glossy, I set my total to which value is highest, and transparency, i would never go below 4 because windows and glasses tend to go black, but I found 12 was good for keep see through objects clear enough, and I use transparency alot for clothes... you may notice some blackness with hair if it uses lots of layers with transparencies (ie after 12 transparent objects it will start rendering black due to max light bounce being exceeded).

I cap indirect light at 10 to minimize the amount of noise in an image, if you really want to force the image to be clean, you can set this to 1.0 and use filter glossy at 5.0, but i found I didn't need it, and it slowed things down a bit. turn of caustics is a must. I have an 8 thread CPU, so I max out at 7 threads so that my Computer doesn't freeze or slow down (so I can continue to brose the internet or watch videos).

I use both CPU and GPU sometimes, with 128 being a good middle ground for tile size.

And make sure you are using denoising when possible (in the compositor, see below). Before denoising, it wasn't uncommon to use >2K iterations to get a smooth image, and its why 256 is good enough for me.
1693921285048.png

edit: if you look near the bottom, I also have the old fashion form of denoising turned on, I like to compare the results, but I suggest turning this off to speed up rendering,

Last edited:

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Does blender have render queues? Best time to render is while you are asleep/working/doing hobbies etc.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Does blender have render queues? Best time to render is while you are asleep/working/doing hobbies etc.
you can animate various camera locations, setting, and poses if you really need to automate the process. you can even use command lines to run blender in the background (ie I can drag and drop blender files into one folder, click a batch function, and it opens up the blend files and batch renders them into folders for me... I don't often use this however)

Reactions: GNVE

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023
Yeah, but if I buy like nvidia geforce rtx 4090 24gb, how munch render time will decrease? I use now CPU for renders, cuz I have 2gb gpu.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Yeah, but if I buy like nvidia geforce rtx 4090 24gb, how munch render time will decrease? I use now CPU for renders, cuz I have 2gb gpu.
I don't use Blender much outside of practice (trying to learn animating in Blender, but it's a slow process as life is pretty busy for me.), but speaking as someone who's just recently upgraded from a 3080 to a 4090, it's far, far faster. So, I can only imagine how much faster it'll be compared to something with 2GB of VRAM. The extra VRAM is a gamechanger, but the speed is just different. I'd say it's at least 60% faster in Daz (than the 3080), and Blender/Cycles with the right settings can render much quicker than Daz/Iray can.

Render times are always going to vary based on several, if not more, factors. But it definitely won't be two hours. 20-30 minutes, probably, and I'd guess that's probably a bit on the high side of an estimate.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
upgrading from a 2GB GPU is definitely worthwhile. But a 4090 is expensive and I doubt you can just plonk it into your current setup. So you'd need a whole new PC. Maybe look at the second hand market? Get something within your budget for now that also works with your setup. Any newer generation and increase in VRAM will work wonders.
See if this is a hobby for you and save up for a better setup later.

Deleted member 2282952

Developing I SCREAM
Game Developer
May 1, 2020
upgrading from a 2GB GPU is definitely worthwhile. But a 4090 is expensive...
You'll do perfectly fine with 3090, you can get those at real nice prices now. Rendering with CPU is terrible both for your CPU and motivation.

I have a PC with dual gpus, so I just save lots and lots of scenes with camera angles & light setup, and split the renders for different GPUs. Typically don't need to turn off rendering if it's not done overnight to do extra stuff, except for some lags when the new scene is loading. One gpu for images, other for animations. Works well.

Nov 19, 2018
x090 graphic cards, if you don't even have a patreon, maybe it's a bit overkill.
I moved from a 1060 to a 3070 and couldn't be happier. Render times moved from 30min to under 10min for most of low-sized scenes. Rendering a G8 character (+hair+clothes) moved from 10min to 2min or so.
It was a small investment to get me going. If I see that this small hobby/experiment turns into a project, and has continuity, then I will consider spending $1k+ or even $2k+ in upgrading the whole setup.

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023
x090 graphic cards, if you don't even have a patreon, maybe it's a bit overkill.
I moved from a 1060 to a 3070 and couldn't be happier. Render times moved from 30min to under 10min for most of low-sized scenes. Rendering a G8 character (+hair+clothes) moved from 10min to 2min or so.
It was a small investment to get me going. If I see that this small hobby/experiment turns into a project, and has continuity, then I will consider spending $1k+ or even $2k+ in upgrading the whole setup.
How do you render characters under 10 min? Like when i put character in envrioment, it takes around 1 hour and half. I also have 1060 graphic card. How did you render in 10 min characters with 1060?

someyoungguy

May 10, 2023
I have bad graphic card so I use cpu for renders.
How do you render characters under 10 min? Like when i put character in envrioment, it takes around 1 hour and half. I also have 1060 graphic card. How did you render in 10 min characters with 1060?
Do you have a 1060 or a 2GB GPU? 1060s weren't available in a 2GB variant.

If you're CPU rendering, it doesn't matter how fast your GPU could render something, because you aren't using it. CPU rendering is usually worse than GPU rendering unless the GPU is much older than the CPU. The 1060 is only about seven years old, so you'd probably need a CPU from the last couple of years to outperform it in rendering, unless you're packing some enterprise level processor. Michelangelo's scenes were taking him about 30 minutes. He said the 10 minute renders were for just characters. A character in an environment is a scene.

It sounds like before you make any purchase decisions at all, you should spend a few days just benchmarking your system with different Blender configurations to see what the best performance is that you could get out of it. It would be a good idea to look up tutorials on youtube for hardware setups roughly similar to yours. If you do have a 1060, it sounds like the worst case scenario is that you'd get about 60% faster render times, and maybe as high as 80% faster. While you could get faster renders just from upgrading your GPU, you'd really just be brute forcing it rather than using the new card to its potential, which will age it prematurely. With an unoptimised newer card you could still get worse performance than you'd get by properly configuring your current setup. Your problem sounds more software based than hardware based, so you shouldn't buy anything without optimising the performance of the hardware you're already using, because you won't be getting your money's worth from any upgrades if your software configuration is holding back your hardware's capabilities.

If you do all this and still decide you want to upgrade, don't get a 40 series. Just get a 20 or 30 series card. From a 1060, a great upgrade path could go into either 20 or 30 series cards. 2070, 2080, 3060, and 3070 would all be substantial performance improvements, and most of them could be found for pretty good deals at this point. Hell, Michelangelo went from 1060 to 3070 and got 3x faster scene renders and 5x faster character renders for about a fifth the cost of a 4090.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
You'll do perfectly fine with 3090, you can get those at real nice prices now. Rendering with CPU is terrible both for your CPU and motivation.
I think it's pretty highly contextual in the sense of the quality that's being rendered. For someone like me/Ocean/of the like, a 4090 is far quicker than a 3090 would be, but for someone like OP it'll be plenty fast.

I have a PC with dual gpus, so I just save lots and lots of scenes with camera angles & light setup, and split the renders for different GPUs.
Are you watercooling them? Been looking at eventually going that route, but I don't have the time nor do I wanna to fuck with assembling it or maintaining it.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I think it's pretty highly contextual in the sense of the quality that's being rendered. For someone like me/Ocean/of the like, a 4090 is far quicker than a 3090 would be, but for someone like OP it'll be plenty fast.

Are you watercooling them? Been looking at eventually going that route, but I don't have the time nor do I wanna to fuck with assembling it or maintaining it.
I had a 1070 and 2070 running for a while air-cooled which worked ok. (although I had a regular room fan pointed at the intake to help cool it.
You could always point an aircon at it (just be careful not to damage any fans/components in the case by overspinning

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I had a 1070 and 2070 running for a while air-cooled which worked ok. (although I had a regular room fan pointed at the intake to help cool it.
You could always point an aircon at it (just be careful not to damage any fans/components in the case by overspinning
I mean, realistically, I'd probably be close to building another system. My MB is on the lower-end, and only has one slot. Which means I'd need a new CPU (and/or motherboard upgrade). And if I'm running another GPU, that probably means another PSU (which is something I probably should've thought about before going with a 1300W one, tbh.), too.

My current 4090 is a Strix, which basically filled up my 5000D on its own, so I'd also be looking at cases if I go with another 4090. Don't know if there are any cases/motherboards that could handle 2 4090s and not suffocate one of them without watercooling. Hence the question.

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023
Do you have a 1060 or a 2GB GPU? 1060s weren't available in a 2GB variant.

If you're CPU rendering, it doesn't matter how fast your GPU could render something, because you aren't using it. CPU rendering is usually worse than GPU rendering unless the GPU is much older than the CPU. The 1060 is only about seven years old, so you'd probably need a CPU from the last couple of years to outperform it in rendering, unless you're packing some enterprise level processor. Michelangelo's scenes were taking him about 30 minutes. He said the 10 minute renders were for just characters. A character in an environment is a scene.

It sounds like before you make any purchase decisions at all, you should spend a few days just benchmarking your system with different Blender configurations to see what the best performance is that you could get out of it. It would be a good idea to look up tutorials on youtube for hardware setups roughly similar to yours. If you do have a 1060, it sounds like the worst case scenario is that you'd get about 60% faster render times, and maybe as high as 80% faster. While you could get faster renders just from upgrading your GPU, you'd really just be brute forcing it rather than using the new card to its potential, which will age it prematurely. With an unoptimised newer card you could still get worse performance than you'd get by properly configuring your current setup. Your problem sounds more software based than hardware based, so you shouldn't buy anything without optimising the performance of the hardware you're already using, because you won't be getting your money's worth from any upgrades if your software configuration is holding back your hardware's capabilities.

If you do all this and still decide you want to upgrade, don't get a 40 series. Just get a 20 or 30 series card. From a 1060, a great upgrade path could go into either 20 or 30 series cards. 2070, 2080, 3060, and 3070 would all be substantial performance improvements, and most of them could be found for pretty good deals at this point. Hell, Michelangelo went from 1060 to 3070 and got 3x faster scene renders and 5x faster character renders for about a fifth the cost of a 4090.
I had 710, then upgrade it to 1060, i think its 2gb because when I have scenes where is used more than 2gb, It says error system ran out of memory. So I can only use gpu for scenes where is lower than 2gb, but its still slowet than cpu. I have i3 3100 cpu something.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It says error system ran out of memory.
That sounds more like a system memory warning and not VRAM, but could be wrong. How much system memory (RAM) do you have?

GrumpyMuffin

Aug 10, 2023
Like 32gb RAM. Never had that issue when using cpu, but when i use gpu, it says above 2gb system is out of memory.
Get a RTX 3060 or a 4070. They have plenty of vram and are both relatively affordable. Your computer will be fine as long as your psu supports up to around 500 watts.

Cpu doesn't really matter. And 32 GB ram should be sufficient enough at first

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I mean, realistically, I'd probably be close to building another system. My MB is on the lower-end, and only has one slot. Which means I'd need a new CPU (and/or motherboard upgrade). And if I'm running another GPU, that probably means another PSU (which is something I probably should've thought about before going with a 1300W one, tbh.), too.

My current 4090 is a Strix, which basically filled up my 5000D on its own, so I'd also be looking at cases if I go with another 4090. Don't know if there are any cases/motherboards that could handle 2 4090s and not suffocate one of them without watercooling. Hence the question.
I agree water cooling would be the best option. But if you are not looking forward to the maintenance of water cooling. something like this might work if not ideal. (as I said you probably don't want fans in the case as they might turn into generators doing damage to the board.) But the airflow and cool air would take away a massive amount of heat probably rivalling any water cooled setup.

someyoungguy

May 10, 2023
I had 710, then upgrade it to 1060, i think its 2gb because when I have scenes where is used more than 2gb, It says error system ran out of memory. So I can only use gpu for scenes where is lower than 2gb, but its still slowet than cpu. I have i3 3100 cpu something.
Again, it's impossible for a 1060 to have less than 3GB of RAM. If you're getting errors, it might be a driver problem, software configuration problem, or a damaged card. You should probably figure out why your card isn't performing to spec. If it's damaged, you'll need to replace it obviously, but if it's as slow as you say, then the RAM issues you're encountering aren't the only issues the card is having. It sounds like your card is only achieving about 30-40% of expected performance, given the experiences of others with the same card so far. If it's not worth it to you to try to fix it, then I guess you could just try to replace it. But if you're only able to use 2GB of the RAM and it's still under warranty, the least you could do is get your money back if you don't want to try to get it working properly.