Ren'Py Blender I'm creating for first time nsfw visual novel and rendering time for single image is killing my motivation

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023
Again, it's impossible for a 1060 to have less than 3GB of RAM. If you're getting errors, it might be a driver problem, software configuration problem, or a damaged card. You should probably figure out why your card isn't performing to spec. If it's damaged, you'll need to replace it obviously, but if it's as slow as you say, then the RAM issues you're encountering aren't the only issues the card is having. It sounds like your card is only achieving about 30-40% of expected performance, given the experiences of others with the same card so far. If it's not worth it to you to try to fix it, then I guess you could just try to replace it. But if you're only able to use 2GB of the RAM and it's still under warranty, the least you could do is get your money back if you don't want to try to get it working properly.
After some research, just realised yeah, my PC too old to power 1060. Its not working on maximum. Also I get random black screens on PC because it doesnt get power enough when rendering.

someyoungguy

May 10, 2023
After some research, just realised yeah, my PC too old to power 1060. Its not working on maximum. Also I get random black screens on PC because it doesnt get power enough when rendering.
If it's insufficient power, you could probably solve it by upgrading the power supply. There are calculators online where you can enter the parts of your build and it'll recommend the size of power supply to use to power it. Depending on your planned upgrade path/timescale you could also add some extra room for future, more power hungry components. Iirc, for a 1060, depending on other components, you'll probably fall between 650-800W. Try to get one from a trusted brand, as bad power supplies can destroy your components when they fault out, because cheaper manufacturers often don't include the safety features that more trusted power supplies have that prevent that

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
have you tried using eevee?

I just ordered an intel a750 gpu since they are apparently good at blender and are cheaper than an RTX, might be worth checking if your budget is low.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Eevee + Light probe = awesome
light probe simulates the lighting 1 time and saves it (bakes it), and then after that it is as fast as real time. without it, Eevee renders tend to look a bit flat, and most lights tend to be weak or not work.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Eevee + Light probe = awesome
light probe simulates the lighting 1 time and saves it (bakes it), and then after that it is as fast as real time. without it, Eevee renders tend to look a bit flat, and most lights tend to be weak or not work.
yeah but with his system flat is better than nothing, also some good lighting tricks can make eevee look awesome.
The problem with this thread is that everyone is flexing their specs instead of actually offering solutions.
So here are a couple of nice lighting tricks:
-You can actually give lights negative values in order to create shadows.
-You can create object whose sole purpose is to create shadows, then disable them from rendering or even showing in the viewport.
-On the rendering settings select medium high contrast to counteract eevee's flatness

Oh also i just checked an intel gpu's require 10th gen+ cpu's so not an option here.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Synx

Jul 30, 2018

I just ordered an intel a750 gpu since they are apparently good at blender and are cheaper than an RTX, might be worth checking if your budget is low.
That would have been my suggestion as well if upgrading isn't a possibility.

The only downside is that for eevee to look good you need to apply a lot of tricks from lightning, baking light, setting-up your textures, etc. It's way more important in Eevee compared to cycles, since raytracing can easily make up for mediocre lightning and materials.

I have been working on my own game on and off for a while, and I'm planning to use eevee as render engine. A lot of time went into getting the materials right. Especially hair was a pain in the ass since hair bdsf which is amazing for hair, doesn't work in eevee :/. Started on interior/exterior lightning and again running into a lot of stuff that just takes time and patience to figure out how to make it look good. But in the end it should be all worth it. A bit lower realism compared to cycles, but I take that for reducing render time from 15-20m to a couple seconds. Especially since I want to add animations and rendering those out it cycles takes ages...

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023

Yeah I thought of that, but mostly my scenes have above 2gb usage, I ran out of memory on gpu.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Since I have an even worst gpu than you (GT 730) what I decided on doing was making a custom toon shader and handpainted textures at 1024 for the more detailed stuff and 512 for the less important stuff plus texture atlasing props and environment.
And I came up with an arcane style look, that I'm liking a lot so even when my new gpu arrives I plan to keep using it.

View attachment 7-11.webm