Daz Indoor Lights and room environments

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Just for a test, I downloaded your motelscene01 image above and ran it through my Denoiser. Then I did a couple of simple adjustments in photoshop. Basically a shadows/highlights adjustment and an unsharp mask. took me less then a min to do all that. Here is how it turned out...

View attachment 1924586
Hello moose_puck...
this looks great. I am using currently paint.net. I have to admit, i am not sure how to do it. But, i will learn it.
I think i kind of was hoping that it could be all done in DAZ but it seems you need to do parts in other software.

I have the Denoiser though i did not use it yet. I lost a day just with the lightning issue. Then almost another to make some adjustments in poses and tone.
It does drive me crazy how much time i spend. I already have 30ish scenes that i needed to adjust afterwards and re-render.

Let me run all of them through the denoiser first. After, the Gimp, Pain.net or whatever. I mean they should all work the same. Right?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
here is another example:

View attachment 1924598
I am not sure what tone is the right one. This is also through Photoshop i assume. So its like exposure adjustment.

I will put this slot on here after i finish.

Looks great too.

Thanks

btw. i really wished i could have some background in the window. It kind looks like the building is in cloud 9.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
btw. i really wished i could have some background in the window. It kind looks like the building is in cloud 9.
The problem is with that motel room is that there's not a lot of space for natural light to shine through (unless you want to move the props around. I've recently used the set for some of the reworks on my VN, but I never played with the windows. I imagine that you could just use the surface select tool, select the window and use a Glass shader ( , ) on them, then apply your HDRI afterward (with draw dome on, obviously.)

As for lighting indoors, I used SY Invisilights and a single spotlight for minor highlights in 4.20 myself (see below), the lights are purposefully dimmed, but can quite easily be turned up. Just put the "Bulb Light"(s), the name of one of the SY lights, around (or in the lampshade(s), if you want, just make sure they are sticking out from the top of the lampshade some so they can illuminate the room.) the original light sources (make sure you turn off the included lights) to sort of reflect the original intended lighting (if that's how you wanted it.). As for the windows, I just took a wall from another set and put it on the other side of the window to make it look like it was a room in the back or something.

motel8.png motel9.png

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/
This is used to lower resolution on any item you want in the scene.

https://f95zone.to/threads/contemporary-office-building-revitalized.85089/
I just searched and grabbed a random building.

So you load the building, place it outside the window at whatever distance you feel is correct. Delete everything that's not visible from the window (to save on memory).

Then you run scene optimizer and reduce the building by 4 or maybe even 8.

As long as you don't have any closeups of the building, you should have something outside for almost no memory cost.

Btw, you have 12gb VRAM but only 16gb system RAM? You're probably more in need of more RAM than VRAM at that point. Generally people say at least double RAM over VRAM.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
The problem is with that motel room is that there's not a lot of space for natural light to shine through (unless you want to move the props around. I've recently used the set for some of the reworks on my VN, but I never played with the windows. I imagine that you could just use the surface select tool, select the window and use a Glass shader ( , ) on them, then apply your HDRI afterward (with draw dome on, obviously.)

As for lighting indoors, I used SY Invisilights and a single spotlight for minor highlights in 4.20 myself (see below), the lights are purposefully dimmed, but can quite easily be turned up. Just put the "Bulb Light"(s), the name of one of the SY lights, around (or in the lampshade(s), if you want, just make sure they are sticking out from the top of the lampshade some so they can illuminate the room.) the original light sources (make sure you turn off the included lights) to sort of reflect the original intended lighting (if that's how you wanted it.). As for the windows, I just took a wall from another set and put it on the other side of the window to make it look like it was a room in the back or something.

View attachment 1925067 View attachment 1925068
This looks really nice.
My problem is or was, that i did not pay attention to the lamps or better, the bulb. They are like default at the moment.
As for the window. Yes, thats an idea.
Its not my pressing issue really but i think i will work on that. I mean, it does look strange just with a color. :unsure: So i will change that.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/
This is used to lower resolution on any item you want in the scene.

https://f95zone.to/threads/contemporary-office-building-revitalized.85089/
I just searched and grabbed a random building.

So you load the building, place it outside the window at whatever distance you feel is correct. Delete everything that's not visible from the window (to save on memory).

Then you run scene optimizer and reduce the building by 4 or maybe even 8.

As long as you don't have any closeups of the building, you should have something outside for almost no memory cost.

Btw, you have 12gb VRAM but only 16gb system RAM? You're probably more in need of more RAM than VRAM at that point. Generally people say at least double RAM over VRAM.
I wonder if i could do that via paint software. This would seem easier perhaps.
But yes, i actually tried that before. To put a building there. Somewhere i did see just house fronts. So no actual building but the front of it. This would be actually desired as it is low on memory.
I will experiment with this some more.
The biggest problem is to find something that fits with this rundown motel.
This is quite an intersting journey with DAZ. I learn every day something more.
Oh and yes, the RAM i need to stock up. I did not realize that before. Does speed matter?
Currently i am using DDR4 3600 memory. I will stock my memory up to 32GB.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
I wonder if i could do that via paint software. This would seem easier perhaps.
But yes, i actually tried that before. To put a building there. Somewhere i did see just house fronts. So no actual building but the front of it. This would be actually desired as it is low on memory.
I will experiment with this some more.
The biggest problem is to find something that fits with this rundown motel.
This is quite an intersting journey with DAZ. I learn every day something more.
Oh and yes, the RAM i need to stock up. I did not realize that before. Does speed matter?
Currently i am using DDR4 3600 memory. I will stock my memory up to 32GB.
If you're going to do graphical stuff and don't want to buy/pirate photoshop, you should get GIMP. It's free and decent. I do these kinds of things directly in Daz, but whatever you find easier with the best results is probably right for you. But with scene optimizer, a building in the background, if its not in focus, can be very low on memory usage. Scene optimizer!!

I'm no expert but I would imagine that RAM speed is only a very minor contributing factor to render speeds.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
If you're going to do graphical stuff and don't want to buy/pirate photoshop, you should get GIMP. It's free and decent. I do these kinds of things directly in Daz, but whatever you find easier with the best results is probably right for you. But with scene optimizer, a building in the background, if its not in focus, can be very low on memory usage. Scene optimizer!!

I'm no expert but I would imagine that RAM speed is only a very minor contributing factor to render speeds.
Boy, i think i am lame.
I do actually have the optimizer but did not think of it in terms of rendering.

At the moment my mind circles around what scene fits, what doesn't and why?
So i have to utilize these tools really to get the benefit.
It probably speeds up the render process too.
Gimp, yes i used it before. So its not unfamiliar at least. I will have to try different options and see what works best out of the box.
The last days, DAZ robbed me of lifetime. Its mostly when you don't know why something doesn't work.

I will order my RAM then. I stick with what i have already so no mix but the same.

I am very grateful for all the tips.

Btw. where can one post his work and let it be judged if it worth the effort?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
One question occurred to me.
In what resolution should you render? Like with the RTX3060 i think i could render larger. Not sure if that adds time for the render it self.
For me personally, HD is fine enough but maybe not for others.

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
One question occurred to me.
In what resolution should you render? Like with the RTX3060 i think i could render larger. Not sure if that adds time for the render it self.
For me personally, HD is fine enough but maybe not for others.
The resolution has a huge impact on rendering time. That's why the spot render tool is so nice. When you screw something up in a scene (for example, you have some clip through in the clothes) you can just spot render a 100px by 100px section and it will be done in seconds... while the whole screen might have taken an hour.

As for what resolution to use, You should go for what your final product is going to be. Are you planning on a 1080p HD game? Or a 1440p one? Or even a 4K one? Never render lower then what you are going to have as the final thing. Remember, you can always reduce quality... but you can never add it back.

A lot of devs are going for the full 4K thing these days, but there's no way I could do that yet... not with my current hardware limitations. Realistically speaking though, the currently most used desktop resolution is 1080P right now. And a 1080P game can be translated down onto almost any mobile screen with no lose of quality. So, personally, that's what I am doing at the moment.

Word of advice... save all your original (and unprocessed) renders and keep them somewhere safe. Then make copies that you use for composting and post processing. Don't ever edit or modify the originals. Sooner or later, you'll fuck something up and then realize you hit "save" instead of "save as...", only to realize that you just overwrote your high quality original and have no way to recover it.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
The resolution has a huge impact on rendering time. That's why the spot render tool is so nice. When you screw something up in a scene (for example, you have some clip through in the clothes) you can just spot render a 100px by 100px section and it will be done in seconds... while the whole screen might have taken an hour.

As for what resolution to use, You should go for what your final product is going to be. Are you planning on a 1080p HD game? Or a 1440p one? Or even a 4K one? Never render lower then what you are going to have as the final thing. Remember, you can always reduce quality... but you can never add it back.

A lot of devs are going for the full 4K thing these days, but there's no way I could do that yet... not with my current hardware limitations. Realistically speaking though, the currently most used desktop resolution is 1080P right now. And a 1080P game can be translated down onto almost any mobile screen with no lose of quality. So, personally, that's what I am doing at the moment.

Word of advice... save all your original (and unprocessed) renders and keep them somewhere safe. Then make copies that you use for composting and post processing. Don't ever edit or modify the originals. Sooner or later, you'll fuck something up and then realize you hit "save" instead of "save as...", only to realize that you just overwrote your high quality original and have no way to recover it.
Ah, ok. I have to time the render between 2K and HD. I am curious. If it doesn't take more time, i may re-render them to 2K. Especially hardcore games, i assume, have the hardware to display the resolution natively.

Oh yes, i keep them always. Though some beginner files i tossed. No loss really.

I usually only edit if something is wrong or did not allign.
Now i know, that i can peek under the floor to see if someone sunk in. Did not know that before, but that usually resulted in re-render because some feet was to far into the ground.
So not, for me, editing something else. It happens to me quite often because i want to get things done, that i miss a detail. Like a finger in something stuck or cloth that collides.

I can only speak for myself. So far i have for my story about 30 slides. Thats not much. Most resulted by addons for a scene.
Another example. Undressing. There are poses but i think they did not work. So i made one move for it. As a matter of fact, i spend more time just doing poses for each scene. So that is were my editing comes from. Rendered, look at it in the viewer, and noooo... re-render.

I assume spot render is in DAZ. I didn't even look for that.
Normally i render over night. So i will see the results the next day.

I will try that feature out. My learning never stops.