EAT
Trial Moderator
Uploader
Aug 5, 2016
Logo Big.png

Overview:
«Inner Empire» is a text-based narrative role-playing game in a fantastic setting inspired by ancient civilizations.

Let's give the word to the protagonist:
«I'm not a chosen one, not a special, not a savior. Just an ordinary girl of flesh and blood. The world around me is changing. The time of bronze is passing. The time of iron is coming. Only the blood they shed remains the same. Red. Something new is rising to shake off the old into a void. But who gives a shit? All I care about is the difficult situation I find myself in...»

Thread Updated: 2024-03-30
Release Date: 2024-03-23
Developer: Defiant Explorer
Censored: No
Version: 1.69
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

DOWNLOAD
All: - - - -

Alternative Portraits: Skaggg or lookinoff

IE 1.png IE 2.png IE 3.png IE 4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

longjohngold

Jan 22, 2020
This was well written and there's some decent worldbuilding done. I liked that there was no grind or repetition, as per what was promised in the dev notes, it's a good base setup.

When setting up my character I thought it was a little cumbersome that Mind, Intrigue and Willpower all had elements of persuading someone... feels a little too spread out if someone's trying to make a character of a particular flavour.

It felt somewhat on rails, but I think that's a better choice for constructing a narrative and keeping things focused so you don't end up with a bunch of dead-ends. Though it was a bit of a shame that even with my points in vigour and a dagger from my origin I couldn't stab that bodyguard then off those two snooty rich people... I guess it was probably for the best like the guy that interrupts says, still as things seem to end with leaving the village I wanted a chance for some kind of vengeance.

I think most of my qualms were things relating to it having a female MC, so probably should be ignored as they're probably fine for the target demographic, as I tend to prefer male ones or a least have a dick to fuck everyone with... Like when I robbed that farm-house after filling her belly I wanted to use that widow at knife-point to sate a different kind of hunger... Or if I did agree to go with that fat dude in the back I was expecting an option to rob (and stab?) him... It feels like it's mainly setup for her getting doinked by dudes - like when you're in the bath with the lady and she asks you if you've been with other women why does it have to be a lie that the MC has? Bit annoying you can't set the backstory up how you like, and if I've gotta have a female MC then at least let her be a ruthless womaniser (like maybe there's a reason beyond friendship she's so attached to that partner in crime of hers).

Oh and despite what it said in the OP I'd advise getting the cheats version, even if you're not going to do any real cheating...just because it has the back button enabled and it drives me nuts to not have that.

Last edited:

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
longjohngold

Thank you for such an insightful comment.

About Abilities. My idea is that each attribute has the ability to persuade. After all, my game is about dialogues and situations, not battles. It's just that the ways of persuasion are different. Mind is rational persuasion. Willpower - the suppression of another's personality with one's own. Intrigue - cunning or charm. Moreover, in rarer situations, even physical Abilities allow persuasion. For example, at this point, there is a scene where Agility can be used to seduce (show body flexibility).

About the dagger (you played as Vagrant, other Origins don't have it). She's not an assassin and doesn't know how to use it skillfully (at least not yet). The dagger is more of a symbol and a reminder of her lost friend. That's why it can't be used, ahem, "for its intended purpose" just yet. But, to paraphrase the classic, if there is a "dagger" hanging on the wall, it means that sooner or later it will "shoot".

And don't worry about vengeance. Everything in its own time.

About, um, forcibly satisfying "another kind of hunger" with the widow's use. The protagonist has no attraction to women by default. The lesbian tag to the game is consistent with forum rules, where it means purely technical girl-to-girl sex (there is such a scene in the game, and in 2 different versions). In terms of orientation, the protagonist is rather bisexual. Or more accurately, she can be bisexual if the player selects the appropriate options and opens a sex scene with a woman. It's like an awareness of her orientation. It's just not set by default, but happens during the game with appropriate descriptions. Or it doesn't. If players do not select certain options of attraction to women - their girls will only be for boys, as straight as it gets.

Alas, the tag Bisexual is not provided here, so I put Lesbian instead. I think a lot of people will be unhappy with this confusion, but I don't quite see what can be done about it. Put my own tag, not provided for by the forum rules?

By the way. Every Origin has its own unique content. In 2 cases, even quite large unique scenes. This is one of the reasons why the game is a bit "on rails" (not just because of my desire to avoid dead-end plot branches). My point is that even on rails, playing as a different Origin and looking at events from a different angle should still be interesting, I hope.

About the cheats. I really wasn't sure if I should post this version. But maybe you're right, the forward/backward function could be quite handy. Hmm, I'll think about it. Maybe I'll remove both versions and make a basic one without the cheats, but with the forward/backward option activated.

Last edited:

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Written in my beautiful broken English. Ah ah ah. Don't complain. Just don't.
Of course i will complain, it's me who's gonna be reading and "appreciating its beauty," after all. :sneaky::coffee:

Anyway, looks interesting.
Perhaps will be worth checking out, in a few updates. :cool::coffee:

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Perhaps will be worth checking out, in a few updates. :cool::coffee:
Suit yourself. Personally, I hate it when developers put out the 0.01 version, bare bones without any content. That's why I spent a huge amount of time on a decent (from my point of view) release.

So if your fears are due to lack of content - don't wait, just look under the Changelog spoiler. If that's not enough for you to try, I don't even know xD

Hmm...

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very impressed with this. There is a lot of content for an initial release, and the writing and choices remind me of NWN modules I enjoyed like "A Dance with Rogues" or "Gladiatrix".

You've earned me as a patron. I wish you success.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
I'm very impressed with this. There is a lot of content for an initial release, and the writing and choices remind me of NWN modules I enjoyed like "A Dance with Rogues" or "Gladiatrix".

You've earned me as a patron. I wish you success.
Thank you, I'll do my best not to let you down.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
So if your fears are due to lack of content - don't wait, just look under the Changelog spoiler. If that's not enough for you to try, I don't even know xD
Yes you're right, 0.1s usually ain't worth it for me.
I enjoy most games that are super-massive, and can keep me immersed for weeks.
Needless to say, very hard to find. :ROFLMAO::coffee:

So yeah, not easy to impress me this way. Or any way to be honest, i play games non-stop for decades after all.
However perhaps i'll give it a spin sooner, i'm just busy with a ton of other games.
And i'm even busy proofreading one of them currently, and it's not exactly easy and takes time for a non-pro like me. :whistle::coffee:
Anyway, i'll give it a shot at some point, no worries. Good job making enough for me to at least sink my teeth into. :giggle::coffee:

menatv

Dec 6, 2019
There seems to be a decent amount of content, especially for a first release demo. I've liked what I've seen so far. And I haven't really had any issues with your English skills at all. I've definitely seen a lot worse!

Will be following this game for sure. Thanks!

Reactions: Defiant Explorer

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
There seems to be a decent amount of content, especially for a first release demo. I've liked what I've seen so far. And I haven't really had any issues with your English skills at all. I've definitely seen a lot worse!

Will be following this game for sure. Thanks!
Well, English isn't my native language. So I'm sure I messed up somewhere. But, it's encouraging to see that people (so far) aren't complaining.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
The eyes of the mighty are upon you. He admires your accomplishments and bestows upon you the exceptional gift of his Mark and will keep an eye on the development of your game with great interest.
View attachment 2046814
It's funny, I've always played NV for the Legion, no kidding. Oh, and their lines to the female protagonist... So charmers.

Ahem, well, let's not get sidetracked. Hail to the Mighty Caesar!

kiba945

Apr 20, 2018
I played the demo and I'm impressed with the amount of content it has with a first release, good job!
I also love that when lore-specific things or names are mentioned you can click and get a quick refresher, it's always helpful to have that kind of thing in text-based games and the english was pretty good, I didnt see any weirdness or obvious misspellings, if I had money to spare I'd deff throw a few bucks to your patreon.

Spoilers for chapter 1 and my general thoughts story wise:
I'm curious to which direction the game will take our MC, the artist troupe is nice and Io's being a friendly/guiding face in a mostly hostile world is good, although im definitely sure she's hiding stuff from us apart from acting lol maybe thats why she took us in so eagerly.

I'm also interested in seeing if we'll deal with monsters (like jumpers) apart from hearing about them, and if you(of course) can sex or fight them given how your character can react during the play, I'm all about that stuff so I wouldn't mind that, just because there isnt a dedicated combat it doesnt mean there can't be narrative fights and such.

Overall, I'm eager for the next update. We will watch you career with great interest.

Reactions: Defiant Explorer

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Also aside from fat guy with probably stage 3 diabetes, are there any more sex scenes?
Yes, there are five. Not counting that some also have different variations.

Four involving the protagonist.
Two hetero.
One lesbian.
And one... well, let's just say it's not consensual and... No, better not spoilers here.

The big guy scene is the easiest to open.

Sep 7, 2020
Yes, there are five. Not counting that some also have different variations.

Four involving the protagonist.
Two hetero.
One lesbian.
And one... well, let's just say it's not consensual and... No, better not spoilers here.

The big guy scene is the easiest to open.
Could you provide some hints for each of em?

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
I played the demo and I'm impressed with the amount of content it has with a first release, good job!
I also love that when lore-specific things or names are mentioned you can click and get a quick refresher, it's always helpful to have that kind of thing in text-based games and the english was pretty good, I didnt see any weirdness or obvious misspellings, if I had money to spare I'd deff throw a few bucks to your patreon.

Spoilers for chapter 1 and my general thoughts story wise:
I'm curious to which direction the game will take our MC, the artist troupe is nice and Io's being a friendly/guiding face in a mostly hostile world is good, although im definitely sure she's hiding stuff from us apart from acting lol maybe thats why she took us in so eagerly.

I'm also interested in seeing if we'll deal with monsters (like jumpers) apart from hearing about them, and if you(of course) can sex or fight them given how your character can react during the play, I'm all about that stuff so I wouldn't mind that, just because there isnt a dedicated combat it doesnt mean there can't be narrative fights and such.

Overall, I'm eager for the next update. We will watch you career with great interest.
Thank you for your kind words.

Regarding references to specific names and events for the setting. They also can change, depending on the Origin ^^ Noble origin has the most "additions" (she is the most educated, relative to the other variants).

About the text in the hidden part.

Well, I don't like exposition for exposition's sake. So, if there's a mention of something in the game, then it's needed for something. I'm afraid that's all I can say without spoilers.

4.60 star(s) 40 Votes