Tool [ IrisField ] [アイリスフィールド] python translation for all games (RJ143307/RJ166249/RJ219681)

bepis96

Mar 24, 2021
Surprised nobody else ever seems to have done this afaik, considering it's a pretty popular series, and all the scripts are in plain text.

here's a quick guide for how to use my script:
-download irisfield_translator.zip
-extract into the 'data' directory of any IrisField game
-install python if you have not (I use python 3.7.1, but probably any version works)
-run 'build_translation.bat'. Choose a language if you do not want english, and a translation engine. DeepL is far better, but extremely slow
-run 'install_translated.bat' to enable the translated scripts
-run 'install_original.bat' to switch back to the original scripts

You do not have to run the full translation in one go, can close it and resume any time.
You can install both Google and DeepL translations. If DeepL scripts are available, they will be prioritized when installing.
I am open to bug reports/suggestions etc.

Does not seem to work on RJ219681, because despite all the scripts being inside the 'Script' folder, for some reason the game actually reads them from a single file called script.ifs. Will need to write totally different code in order to translate this file, or find out what program/engine compresses this file.

Game Links:
(RJ143307)
(RJ166249)
(RJ219681) (not currently working)

lol.png

for people not signed in, just save this pastebin as translate.py and run it: pastebin.com/LD4CKMri
setup works fine without the .bat files, just follow the prompts. From cmd: translate.py

Update 2021-12-21:
I've attached a pre-translated version of the scripts for RJ143307, with DeepL, for those who do not wish to do it themselves. Simply extract into the game directory, and replace all when prompted. You will still be able to switch back to the original scripts, if desired, using install_original.bat.

Update 2021-12-26:
Pre-translated version of RJ166249 is now attached to this post, also. Installation same as above.

Update 2022-12-11:
Fixed a number of issues with the script, and re-ran RJ166249 through it. Attachments are updated.

Last edited:

xenei

Sep 9, 2020
Hey, you seem to be really good with Python language. Think you can help me with something? Do you discord? Is it possible to contact you through discord ? If not, can I PM you here? Thank you.

bepis96

Mar 24, 2021
Hey, you seem to be really good with Python language. Think you can help me with something? Do you discord? Is it possible to contact you through discord ? If not, can I PM you here? Thank you.
This is probably the first time I have wrote anything significant in Python, aside from running other people's scripts. But I am very experienced in a lot of other languages, so it was all pretty intuitive. Hard to say if I would be much help, but shoot me a dm if you want my discord.

bepis96

Mar 24, 2021
Updated with some changes.
Documents that need to be saved with utf-8 encoding look a bit less terrible in-game.
Fixed mis-ordering of some lines.
Also, you can change the language at the top of the script where it says 'language' now.

Edit: updated again, all documents are encoded with ANSI now without error.

Edit 2: updated again, it now merges lines together to try to fit them all within 4 lines.

Edit 3: currently working on implementing deepl translation, for far better translations. This might take a little while, but sit tight if you want better scripts.

Last edited:

bepis96

Mar 24, 2021
Updated the main post with new scripts that allow translating with DeepL, if preferred.
I will upload pre-translated deepl scripts once they finish, for those who want to avoid the slow translation process.
Google option only takes like 5 minutes.
Also made various other improvements.

This produces far better translations than Google.

Last edited:

bepis96

Mar 24, 2021
I would love to do this but it keep failing so seems like it's not for me.
DeepL is unfortunately extremely finicky with guest translations. I've lowered the character limit per request to 150, and it seems to work more reliably now. I am working on translating the whole games with DeepL so I can upload a pre-translated copy some time soon. Whenever it finishes.

Reactions: Puniasterus

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
DeepL is unfortunately extremely finicky with guest translations. I've lowered the character limit per request to 150, and it seems to work more reliably now. I am working on translating the whole games with DeepL so I can upload a pre-translated copy some time soon. Whenever it finishes.
Thanks, I think I will be alright until you finish. I have been playing it since 2014.

bepis96

Mar 24, 2021
RJ143307 has finished translating with DeepL, see main post. I've now set it going on RJ166249,will probably take a couple of days.

Magi17

Jul 29, 2017
Doesn't work for me. White screen when starting a new game. Black screen after playing a little on a saved game.
Edit: Just replaced only the first file and the translation worked. One of the files must be breaking my game.
Also found that having } on the same line as dialogue for some reason makes the game freeze. Actually the file may have just been missing one now that I look at it compared to the original.

Last edited:

bepis96

Mar 24, 2021
As someone requested, here are the full pre-translated games:

For me, for some reason, the games only run as administrator. Otherwise, it just plays music and the window never appears.
Have not made any further progress on decompiling script.ifs so we can translate RJ219681. If anyone knows what engine these games are made in, it will likely become possible.

Sep 27, 2017

For me, for some reason, the games only run as administrator. Otherwise, it just plays music and the window never appears.
Have not made any further progress on decompiling script.ifs so we can translate RJ219681. If anyone knows what engine these games are made in, it will likely become possible.
Hello, first thanks for translating these games wanted to play them for years. second, the links are down can you reupload them, please.
Also if you don't mind I can a post for these games so more people can find them and play them by knowing they are translated (mtl is still translated since most of what is uploaded here is MTL anyway. ofc giving you the credit.) or you can post them

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019

Hello there its great to see potentially both of these games are playable. +1 on the request for a upload.
Otherwise, we could search the game ourselves, would the patching process with python still work the same in a linux machine?

Lkelonge

Aug 14, 2017
I have a bit of an issue with rj166249 's translation. For some reason, it will freeze after some dialogues when using the translation. I'm wondering whether the issue is because of my version of the game (2.2.0) is not compatible with the translation in the OP or if it's for another reason.

I tried to run the translation scripts but I simply can't install the deepl or google trans modules. Would a kind soul with a similar version of the game please share with me his scripts/translations folders please? I really, really want to play this game!

Nov 23, 2020
I have a bit of an issue with rj166249 's translation. For some reason, it will freeze after some dialogues when using the translation. I'm wondering whether the issue is because of my version of the game (2.2.0) is not compatible with the translation in the OP or if it's for another reason.

I tried to run the translation scripts but I simply can't install the deepl or google trans modules. Would a kind soul with a similar version of the game please share with me his scripts/translations folders please? I really, really want to play this game!
i have the same issue as well, after some dialogs the game just freezes. Are there have any solutions for this ?