Is my art skill is fair enough to use in game ?

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Honestly, there are people out there that will accept anything for art.

That said you should develop a style you can rely on.
The picture of the woman's face looks like it was done with basic brushes in gimp and using a mouse.
Technically you tried to include to much detail for the method you were using.
Different methods have different limits. Rather than looking like detail it comes off looking more like mistakes.
If you had a pen tablet or pen screen system you could potentially do better.

You might consider switching to vector graphics. There are free tools like and that are quite good.
The image below is a png of the vector art version of the face you posted. I could go through and add a lot more detail but its your are and this is just a sample. I included the Krita file if you want to see how it is done. This type of art work can be done fairly easily with just a mouse.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
Exactly, I want to start making game as soon as possible but, as I am learning renpy too. During that time Im trying to improve my drawing a fair amount before making a game.
If you need some help with programming, let me know. What I think you should do is just make the game, but not release it. See it as a prototype, write some story about something you find interesting and draw the scenes. You don't need to release it, but it would be a nice project to do in your free time. It will both give you experience in writing stories, and you can improve your drawing skills.

As for drawing, I would highly recommend following Proko's figure drawing course. Your will learn how to draw the human body in dynamic poses. *Send me a message if you want to have the premium videos, since I bought his course and saved them*

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
As for drawing, I would highly recommend following Proko's figure drawing course. Your will learn how to draw the human body in dynamic poses. *Send me a message if you want to have the premium videos, since I bought his course and saved them*
Not so sure I would recommend such an expensive course for him to start with. There are lots of other sources that cover virtually the same material for free or far cheaper.
Simply google, "Classical Figure Drawing" for videos and websites. Plenty on videos to get you started on youtube.
You can find more sources in books and video format on amazon.

In short they can go out and improve their skills quite a lot before needing to spend any money.
There also plenty of free references like this

Apr 19, 2019
100% fine. Go for it. If you worry about making your art perfect, you'll end up like me, just spinning your wheels in one place for years or decades and never actually making anything. Make the thing with the skills you have now, and improvement in the art will come naturally through doing, and the more you make, the better it gets.

Keep in mind, as an artist, you are your own worst critic. No matter how skilled you get, you will most likely never be 100% satisfied with your artwork. People can praise the art and exclaim how great it is, but you probably won't believe them, or you'll think they're just trying to be nice. Push those feelings of inadequacy aside. Suppress your imposter syndrome, and keep moving forward.

I suggest moving forward with your "first draft" artwork. It may be hurried. You may think it's ugly, but it's something. As you build your game with this first-draft artwork, you'll get a better picture of where the game is heading. You can always go back and refine that art into something better, and as you progress your skills WILL get better. You may find that the earlier art in the development of your game doesn't hold a candle to the later art, so you can go back and catch that early art up to the speed of your more recent skill set.

I'll leave you with this:

Don't compare your art to others. Your art is yours, and your artistic journey is your own. If you compare your own art to that of someone further along in their artistic journey, you'll only demotivate yourself.

Make the thing and move on. Ignore how bad you think it is. You'll get better, and you can always go back and improve your older stuff.

Accept constructive criticism when it's offered, and reject/ignore any criticism when it's not constructive. Learn to identify the difference between constructive criticism and just plain criticism. Those who criticize without offering anything constructive couldn't draw themselves out of a paper bag, and aren't worth listening to.

You can do it. I believe in you.

Reactions: Sole and woody554

Bilzord

Oct 15, 2017
Honestly, there are people out there that will accept anything for art.

That said you should develop a style you can rely on.
The picture of the woman's face looks like it was done with basic brushes in gimp and using a mouse.
Technically you tried to include to much detail for the method you were using.
Different methods have different limits. Rather than looking like detail it comes off looking more like mistakes.
If you had a pen tablet or pen screen system you could potentially do better.

You might consider switching to vector graphics. There are free tools like and that are quite good.
The image below is a png of the vector art version of the face you posted. I could go through and add a lot more detail but it's you are and this is just a sample. I included the Krita file if you want to see how it is done. This type of artwork can be done fairly easily with just a mouse.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
I have a pen tablet, bought it a week ago, here are some grayscale I was studying now drawn in Krita
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I suggest moving forward with your "first draft" artwork. It may be hurried. You may think it's ugly, but it's something. As you build your game with this first-draft artwork, you'll get a better picture of where the game is heading.
this reminds me of what 'snow daze' used to look like in the beginning, and it was really pretty damn bad. but he just went with it and built the game, and later replaced the art with what it has now. and it became a pretty decent, professional game in the end. top 1% among all the crap we usually see.

Reactions: apatheticcreative

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I have a pen tablet, bought it a week ago, here are some grayscale I was studying now drawn in Krita
your lines are already better.

btw I love krita. also paintstorm, which is similar. and painter I've used for 30 years, but it's a little problematic just like photoshop.

but it doesn't really matter what you use, or even what brush you use. it's all about your skill, not the tools. even mouse is fine in the right hands. one of the most revered old digital concept art gurus, the father of digital painting craig mullins paints with a mouse and is not in any way hindered by it:

craig-mullins-08.png

Reactions: Bilzord

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
You still need to keep practicing, but you've obviously gained an understanding that most people don't have. You're well on your way to becoming a great artist as long as you don't stop. For the next three months, you should go all in on honing your craft.

The following is VERY, very very very good. You just need to polish it. She looks like a real character with a personality. When I look at her, I don't see an issue with the art, instead I see a character, that is a great achievement.

If you want to get into drawing erotic art, don't worry about backgrounds too much. Don't waste your time trying to get good at drawing trees IMO. You can easily just find a background image on the internet instead. Focus on getting good at drawing the human form in sexual poses.

You should play a game called Kingdom of Deception. https://f95zone.to/threads/kingdom-of-deception-v0-11-5-hreinn-games.2733/ ... Look at that art style, and try to get as good as that. Notice how there's barely any emphasis on drawing backgrounds.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
It looks like you aren't using clipping layers and groups.
Here are a few videos that should help

Some of the information over laps in the videos. But each video demonstrates different aspects of the tools better than others.
In general it appears you aren't making enough use of Krita's tools.
You can see where the attempt at filling in the hair goes outside of bounds.

I'm sure you already know the painter's algorithm. You can use layers and layer groups to make that vastly easier.
It just takes a bit of getting used to.
It seems like you are trying to use the system more like a charcoal pencil and paper with a single layer being the area you are working with.

After those you probably want to hit a number of other videos

You should probably search youtube "krita draw and paint" also "Krita tutorials"
Look at different methods people are using.

The way I see it is you have two things to focus on. Learning to use the tools and selecting a method that is going to work for you in getting the quality of art out you want. Some methods take a lot more time than others.
So you need to figure out what the balance is between the type of look you want to achieve, and the amount of time you want to put into it. If you are making a game you can't spend all the time just doing art.

Regardless what method you choose you will need to learn to use the tools better. That should be your first goal.
It won't take to long and the more you make use of it the more you will see how to apply different tools on your own.

Bilzord

Oct 15, 2017
If you need some help with programming, let me know. What I think you should do is just make the game, but not release it. See it as a prototype, write some story about something you find interesting and draw the scenes. You don't need to release it, but it would be a nice project to do in your free time. It will both give you experience in writing stories, and you can improve your drawing skills.

I have already watched all of the Proko, tutorials on anatomy on youtube I think I can make a sensible figure but, it would look dull without coloring. I used to draw a lot of gestures when I was in high school, now the only problem is renpy and coloring which I m currently working on, I have attached the figure, its in grayscale as I'm working in it to improve the coloring.
I want to make the figure in a walking pose but, changed it midway that's why its right arm is bent forward a bit.

Bilzord

Oct 15, 2017
Not so sure I would recommend such an expensive course for him to start with. There are lots of other sources that cover virtually the same material for free or far cheaper.
Simply google, "Classical Figure Drawing" for videos and websites. Plenty on videos to get you started on youtube.
You can find more sources in books and video format on amazon.

In short they can go out and improve their skills quite a lot before needing to spend any money.
There also plenty of free references like this

Thank you so much dude, these resources are helpful.

Bilzord

Oct 15, 2017
100% fine. Go for it. If you worry about making your art perfect, you'll end up like me, just spinning your wheels in one place for years or decades and never actually making anything. Make the thing with the skills you have now, and improvement in the art will come naturally through doing, and the more you make, the better it gets.

Keep in mind, as an artist, you are your own worst critic. No matter how skilled you get, you will most likely never be 100% satisfied with your artwork. People can praise the art and exclaim how great it is, but you probably won't believe them, or you'll think they're just trying to be nice. Push those feelings of inadequacy aside. Suppress your imposter syndrome, and keep moving forward.

I suggest moving forward with your "first draft" artwork. It may be hurried. You may think it's ugly, but it's something. As you build your game with this first-draft artwork, you'll get a better picture of where the game is heading. You can always go back and refine that art into something better, and as you progress your skills WILL get better. You may find that the earlier art in the development of your game doesn't hold a candle to the later art, so you can go back and catch that early art up to the speed of your more recent skill set.

I'll leave you with this:

Don't compare your art to others. Your art is yours, and your artistic journey is your own. If you compare your own art to that of someone further along in their artistic journey, you'll only demotivate yourself.

Make the thing and move on. Ignore how bad you think it is. You'll get better, and you can always go back and improve your older stuff.

Accept constructive criticism when it's offered, and reject/ignore any criticism when it's not constructive. Learn to identify the difference between constructive criticism and just plain criticism. Those who criticize without offering anything constructive couldn't draw themselves out of a paper bag, and aren't worth listening to.

You can do it. I believe in you.
Thank you so much for the reply, as I told earlier, I was ready to face the criticism (honestly i thought I only get hate),
it has turned very good for me to post in this thread I have received so much knowledge and information from you guys, can't thank enough. I have thought of making a short game before then making the game that I originally planned.

Bilzord

Oct 15, 2017
You still need to keep practicing, but you've obviously gained an understanding that most people don't have. You're well on your way to becoming a great artist as long as you don't stop. For the next three months, you should go all in on honing your craft.

The following is VERY, very very very good. You just need to polish it. She looks like a real character with a personality. When I look at her, I don't see an issue with the art, instead I see a character, that is a great achievement.

If you want to get into drawing erotic art, don't worry about backgrounds too much. Don't waste your time trying to get good at drawing trees IMO. You can easily just find a background image on the internet instead. Focus on getting good at drawing the human form in sexual poses.

You should play a game called Kingdom of Deception. https://f95zone.to/threads/kingdom-of-deception-v0-11-5-hreinn-games.2733/ ... Look at that art style, and try to get as good as that. Notice how there's barely any emphasis on drawing backgrounds.
Thank you for the reply, I m currently working on my environment drawing but I will eventually get there(hopefully)
as for the game yes I have played it a bit and its art is lovely, I have working on improving character coloring as it should look good in the game so that the background can be ignored.

Reactions: hakarlman

Bilzord

Oct 15, 2017
your lines are already better.

btw I love krita. also paintstorm, which is similar. and painter I've used for 30 years, but it's a little problematic just like photoshop.

but it doesn't really matter what you use, or even what brush you use. it's all about your skill, not the tools. even mouse is fine in the right hands. one of the most revered old digital concept art gurus, the father of digital painting craig mullins paints with a mouse and is not in any way hindered by it:

View attachment 1188531
damn, I have been working on the grayscale and blending to understand "depth" and color better, and i can already see an improvement thanks for the tips.

Reactions: woody554

Bilzord

Oct 15, 2017
It looks like you aren't using clipping layers and groups.
Here are a few videos that should help

Some of the information over laps in the videos. But each video demonstrates different aspects of the tools better than others.
In general it appears you aren't making enough use of Krita's tools.
You can see where the attempt at filling in the hair goes outside of bounds.

I'm sure you already know the painter's algorithm. You can use layers and layer groups to make that vastly easier.
It just takes a bit of getting used to.
It seems like you are trying to use the system more like a charcoal pencil and paper with a single layer being the area you are working with.

After those you probably want to hit a number of other videos

You should probably search youtube "krita draw and paint" also "Krita tutorials"
Look at different methods people are using.

The way I see it is you have two things to focus on. Learning to use the tools and selecting a method that is going to work for you in getting the quality of art out you want. Some methods take a lot more time than others.
So you need to figure out what the balance is between the type of look you want to achieve, and the amount of time you want to put into it. If you are making a game you can't spend all the time just doing art.

Regardless what method you choose you will need to learn to use the tools better. That should be your first goal.
It won't take to long and the more you make use of it the more you will see how to apply different tools on your own.
Thank you so much dude it was a really great help, i have just started digital painting and was so confused, I have learned the brushes and stuff but didn't know about this.

ParkG

Game Developer
May 12, 2021
Hey, I just stumbled upon this post while googling for "art feedback" forums! I really like the uniqueness of it, you seem to be on the way to develop your own artstyle, if this is your first serious venture into art. The second one that you drew is much better because the line art gives more "clarity" (sorry if wrong wording, English is not my 1st language) to the drawing.

That said, when drawing a woman's face, I'd suggest that you only add in key details and lines, because women's faces are tricky to draw. The more lines and details are added, often times make them look more "defined". Like a man's head, which has sharper angles and jaws and such, that makes them masculine.

You also have good grasps on how to make a face more 3D-looking and not flat, which is a very important instinct to have. My suggestion is to look for some tutorials that cover how to make the "foundation" of a head. Basically a skull sketch that you can always start with first, before you begin to draw for real.

Spend a few hours doing the skull thing, until you can roughly draw this skull on different angles and shapes. It does not need to be detailed because it's just a sketch which you will draw the "real lineart" on later. Having a skull/foundation will help you by miles! Because you no need to worry much about proportions and those things later on. Once you draw on the skull, you don't need to follow it realistically like a realistic human head. Feel free to do whatever style you want, as long as it roughly follows the proportions set by the skull.

One thing I realized lately is that a style that is ok but has correct proportions is better than an artsy colourful style that has weird proportions. The second one tends to turn most people off on first glance, unless it's their kind of style. Keep going, I am inspired to submit feedback posts after seeing threads like this. Lots of things to learn!